Vinatge stereos and vinyl?

mer71

CAGiversary!
Feedback
280 (100%)
Any other fellow CAG's enjoy collecting vinyl?  Any vintage stereo users on here?

I just picked up a stereo back in May for $50 off Craigslist.   It was a Sherwood S-7110 receiver, Pioneer PL-7 turntable, ADS Sound Shaper 22 equalizer, Technics tape deck and a Panasonic 8-track.  I sold off the equalizer, tape deck and 8-track.  Then I started hitting up Salvation Army and Goodwill for vinyl.  I have added yard sales, antique shops and records stores (still exist).  I have almost 100 LP's since May.  Having fun and my wife isn't to annoyed yet. 

I still need to find some speakers.  Currently, I am using a pair of MCS speakers.  I have two pairs of Realistic Nova 4's that need refoamed.  My receiver has already been replaced with a JVC VR-551.  That thing clips my speaker near halway.  My 17 year old daughter has the Sherwood receiver with a Sony turntable, my brother sold me.  She is using a vintage pair of Jensen speakers.  She and I are kind of sharing the hobby together.

I wish I could collect records. We don't have room...yet.

Check flea markets too, sometimes they have some good stuff for good prices.

It's cool your daughter is into it as well, most teenagers like that crappy music they play on MTV.

Rock out some vintage Bowie, Boston, or Rush for me.

I wish I could collect records. We don't have room...yet.

Check flea markets too, sometimes they have some good stuff for good prices.

It's cool your daughter is into it as well, most teenagers like that crappy music they play on MTV.

I have the first 3 Boston LP's. I have a couple of Rush.

I just started getting into it. I had 10 or 12 LPs lying around, but no turntable. Then the remastered version of Led Zeppelin 1 came out, and Jimmy Page said it sounded best on vinyl. So I pulled the trigger and bought a cheap turntable. I'm loving it so far. But for me, vinyl is really about the experience, so I tend to only buy albums that I really enjoy. (Next on my list is Wish You Were Here.) I don't want to duplicate my entire collection, I just want to have those special albums.

I have quite a few records, but mostly new stuff. Most artists worth a damn still put out vinyls.

Also, record store day is the shit.

Can anyone recommend a sweet turntable that's fairly cheap? Also if anyone could recommend some speakers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be collecting this and old laser disk if I had the room.  One of the things I liked about the town I live in was Vintage Vinyl.  If you wanted a record that was the place in the are to go.  They had new and old.  Sad they've been closed for I think damn near 10 years now.  I don't think the one in St. Louis has much when it comes to vinyl.  I ever get a place with room to have things like this I'd still buy stuff on CD.  That way I can just load it up on the computer too.  Vinyl would be for stuff I really like.  A friend of mine just inherited some old vinyl and a record player that was from Radio Shack.  He couldn't get the player to work, but I think he did buy a new one.

I have a cheap stereo system with a record player on it. I would like to collect some vinyl though, but I really haven't done it yet. 

Can anyone recommend a sweet turntable that's fairly cheap? Also if anyone could recommend some speakers?
Buy a late 70s, early 80s turntable, receiver and speakers. Check eBay and craigslist. Radio shacks realistic line is a affordable line.

Wait, MTV plays music?

Nothing like the sound of vinyl, or maybe its just a nostalgia rush and not necessarily better. Either way, I also enjoy collecting records. :p

Wait, MTV plays music?

Nothing like the sound of vinyl, or maybe its just a nostalgia rush and not necessarily better. Either way, I also enjoy collecting records. :p
It's a different sound. One that is better then radio and MP3's. I would personally buy vinyl over cd.

Was in Nashville this weekend, so I stopped by Third Man Records. Picked up Lazaretto (haven't listened to it yet) and Consolers of the Lonely (which is one of my favorite albums). Pretty cool store. Really looking forward to listening to Lazaretto tonight.

Was in Nashville this weekend, so I stopped by Third Man Records. Picked up Lazaretto (haven't listened to it yet) and Consolers of the Lonely (which is one of my favorite albums). Pretty cool store. Really looking forward to listening to Lazaretto tonight.
I have listened to the digital version on Google Music, I liked it.

Did you get the lp that has like color on it and makes an image as it spins or something?

I have listened to the digital version on Google Music, I liked it.

Did you get the lp that has like color on it and makes an image as it spins or something?
There was a 2 color version (blue and white), but that was only for members of the Third Man Record fan club or something. However, I did get the 'Ultra LP'. It does indeed having a spinning holographic angel on it when you play the record. It's also got a few other cool things about it. You can find out about it here.

I should never have bought that turntable. I'm buying too many albums now. Ordered Blink's self-titled album yesterday. It's the one with the green and pink splatter. This one:

tumblr_myoto6qb531qjkdulo1_500.jpg

Picked up some stuff today from The Exchange. Their prices aren't fantastic, but they're within range. One record was $3 more than Amazon, while another was $5 less. And now that Indiana collects tax from Amazon, I broke even. Anyway:

Led Zeppelin II (Remastered) $38
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here $30
Cage the Elephant - Melophobia $16
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards (Used) $12

They also had Cage the Elephant - Thank You Happy Birthday, with a cover that's very different from the CD version. I think I might pick it up next time.

My haul of Supertramp"s Made In America, Judias Priest's Screaming, Steel and Sin for sin, Beatles Revolver, Simon and Garfunkels Greastes Hits and The Best of The Doobie Brothers for $7 total.

$7 is a steal for those records. Nice find.

I managed to grab a stack of about 20 to 25 45s this weekend. My uncle is in the gaming/jukebox business, so he had several boxes of 45s laying around from the 80s when they still used 45s in the jukeboxes. I sifted through and grabbed some ones that I liked. There was a lot of Journey and Phil Collins, but I found some Styx, Rolling Stones, Doors and some Damn Yankees. I'll probably give them back one day, but I'm enjoying them for now.

EDIT: After saying that I'd hold off on buying for a while, I saw an album that I couldn't refuse.

Bt3nttoIMAACxk2.jpg

I don't know what it is about them, but I love the Fratellis, and Costello Music is one of my all time favorite albums. I couldn't not buy this, as they only pressed 2000 copies.

Only collect any vinyl record related to Bob Dylan, everything else that is decent/good is resold or given to my grandpa, he loves collecting vinyl for his small but extensive collection (Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc)

Picked up some albums today from Goodwill:

CCR - Pendulum
The Best of the Doobie Brothers
Eagles - Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975)
Ten Years After - A Space in Time
Steve Miller Band - The Joker

Only a buck each. There was some other albums I wanted, but they were too scratched up to buy. Also, I figured out that at least 50% (possibly more) of the albums at Goodwill are either Christmas albums or Barbra Streisand albums. It takes forever to sift through that BS.

Only collect any vinyl record related to Bob Dylan, everything else that is decent/good is resold or given to my grandpa, he loves collecting vinyl for his small but extensive collection (Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc)
To me it's kind of just become a hobby. The only new albums I buy are albums that I really like. But for only $1, I love picking through the Goodwill bins finding stuff I've never listened to.

How extensive is your Bob Dylan collection? I enjoy his music, but I don't have any vinyls of his. (I might have a 45 somewhere.)

Picked up some albums today from Goodwill:

CCR - Pendulum
The Best of the Doobie Brothers
Eagles - Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975)
Ten Years After - A Space in Time
Steve Miller Band - The Joker

Only a buck each. There was some other albums I wanted, but they were too scratched up to buy. Also, I figured out that at least 50% (possibly more) of the albums at Goodwill are either Christmas albums or Barbra Streisand albums. It takes forever to sift through that BS.

To me it's kind of just become a hobby. The only new albums I buy are albums that I really like. But for only $1, I love picking through the Goodwill bins finding stuff I've never listened to.

How extensive is your Bob Dylan collection? I enjoy his music, but I don't have any vinyls of his. (I might have a 45 somewhere.)
Nice finds!!!

Picked up the following for $9...at a local record store.

MC Hammer's Lets Get It Started

Chubb Rock's Treat'em Right EP

Elton Johns Greatest Hits

Foreigner's Double Vision

John Cougar's American Fool

John Cougar's Uh-huh

I picked up a pair of Realtistic Nova 10's for $20 today.  They are much better sounding then my other speakers.

Nothing wrong with a budget system. I have a fairly cheap system as well, it only looks expensive because I spent 5 years hunting down deals for the parts. :lol: I'll take a picture when I get home tonight. Also going to stop by the record store on my way home, so I'll let you know about any good finds; it seems you and I have similar tastes in music.

Also, how often do you find yourself listening to your vinyl over digital music? For years I've had an iPhone dock hooked up to my speaker system and that was my number one way to listen to music. But now that I've got 20 to 25 records that I really like, I find myself only listening to vinyl. I really like the experience of vinyl better; playing a vinyl record just evokes different feelings that turning on your iPod.

I listen to vinyl over digital, 90% of the time.  Vinyl has a more deeper sound then digital.  I do not have a CD player in the house.

Also, I took my receiver apart and cleaned the contacts.  Static free now!!

I forgot to post a interesting story.  My 17 year old daughter went to a friend's house.  She called me and said, "Do you want 3 boxes of records?".   Of course, what vinyl lover would pass them up.  When I went out to unload them from her car.  She told me they had been sitting in basement with water.

Well, there was about 50 Lp's, mostly classic rock.  I salvaged about 15 records I wanted.  Almost all of the covers were destroyed.  They had already dried together.  If they were still wet, I could have saved them.  All the vinyl had water/mold on them.  So, I had to clean each one by hand and let dry.

The boxes included....The Beatles, Rush, ELP,  Hendrix, The Doobies, Elton John, Led Zepplin and on and on.

I started collecting Vinyl this year, thanks to my GF. I don't own a record player (she does), but part of it has become the thrill.

Right now the stuff I really want to collect is old Prog Rock, Punk and Industrial stuff. I know it's hard as hell to find them so I am taking it a little bit at a time. Been mostly going to a flea market to look for old stuff. Record Stores around here are way too expensive.

Some of my most recent nice finds.

The Beatles- Abby Road $3

Kraftwerk- Autobahn $5

Grateful Dead- Skull & Roses $2

Here's the picture of my setup:

IMG_0595.jpg

Pioneer CS-F5000 speakers that I grabbed from my dad. An AudoTechnica LP-60 turntable that I got from Amazon for $100 and a Denon receiver that I nabbed for $200 a few months ago. It sounds pretty good and can get pretty loud when I need it to.

Also, the last 2 visits to the record store (including today) yielded:

Styx - Pieces of Eight
Styx - The Grand Illusion
Styx - Paradise Theater
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Bad Company - Bad Company
James Gang - James Gang Rides Again
Supertramp - Breakfast In America
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority

I also have Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head on the way. I'm really loving music these days. :)

Also forgot to mention that I've already pre-ordered the fourth album ( ;)) and Houses of the Holy. I have 1 and 2 already, so I just need to get 3. And I need to do it soon, because I really want to hear Since I've Been Loving You. :)

Nice haul on the vinyl.  Today I bought...for $7 plus tax.

Air Supply's Greatest Hits (almost mint and women love it)

Billy Joel Innocent Man

ELO Out Of The Blue

Kiss Love Gun

Huey Lewis and The News Sport

Miami Vice Soundtrack (TV) show)

38 Special Flashback

AD, if you want a copy of Air Supply and Huey Lewis, you can have them if you pay for shipping.

I actually just saw both Air Supply and Huey Lewis at the record store. They had 2 or 3 copies of Huey Lewis. So I'll have to pass on those. :) Nice find of the rest of it though. I'll take the 38 Special and Billy Joel off your hands if you want. ;)

Went back to the record store today because I had some DVDs to trade in. I have like 150 DVDs that I was going to throw away, but the guy convinced me to try to trade them in. He took like 20 of them and I got $25. So I grabbed Who's Next and Cage the Elephant Thank You Happy Birthday. Considering that I nearly threw the DVDs away, not a bad deal. (Although I still have like 130 of them left unfortunately.)

Here's the picture of my setup:
IMG_0595.jpg
Pioneer CS-F5000 speakers that I grabbed from my dad. An AudoTechnica LP-60 turntable that I got from Amazon for $100 and a Denon receiver that I nabbed for $200 a few months ago. It sounds pretty good and can get pretty loud when I need it to.Also, the last 2 visits to the record store (including today) yielded:Styx - Pieces of EightStyx - The Grand IllusionStyx - Paradise TheaterNeil Young - Rust Never SleepsBad Company - Bad CompanyJames Gang - James Gang Rides AgainSupertramp - Breakfast In AmericaChicago - Chicago Transit AuthorityI also have Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head on the way. I'm really loving music these days. :)Also forgot to mention that I've already pre-ordered the fourth album ( ;)) and Houses of the Holy. I have 1 and 2 already, so I just need to get 3. And I need to do it soon, because I really want to hear Since I've Been Loving You. :)

Nice setup that turntable has a ton of very good reviews on Amazon.

It is the one I have my eyes on, so how would you say it performs?

There was a 2 color version (blue and white), but that was only for members of the Third Man Record fan club or something. However, I did get the 'Ultra LP'. It does indeed having a spinning holographic angel on it when you play the record. It's also got a few other cool things about it. You can find out about it here.

I visited Nashville back in April and visited third man as well very cool little place they have.

The vault is what you are thinkin http://thirdmanstore.com/vault/vault-subscriptions/tmr-vault-platinum-subscription g of it is like fan club for 60 bucks quarterly

Nice setup that turntable has a ton of very good reviews on Amazon.

It is the one I have my eyes on, so how would you say it performs?
For $100, I'd say it plays very well. I've been very happy with it. I have only 3 very tiny complaints.
  • The lid is kind of goofy, and won't stay open unless you hold it in place for a second. If you just pop the lid up to change the record, it'll fall back down. Not a big deal, just a little annoying.
  • When it's in automatic mode, it takes what seems like forever for the record to stop spinning. Again, a little annoying if you're trying to change it out quickly.
  • The arm can't go past the inner groove of the record, which means I can't play the hidden tracks on the Lazaretto LP. :(
Again, very tiny complaints. I only keep track of them so that I can avoid them when I buy a really good player ($500+). For $100, they don't bother me. I'd buy this turntable again if I needed another decently priced one.

bread's done
Back