2TB WD External Storage Drive $99.99 @TigerDirect - Use with XB1

nuuuuj

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
As a follow-up to my other thread:

TigerDirect now has the 2TB Western Digital - My Passport Ultra portable external hard drive for $99.99 after coupon code WDF133699. Use Shoprunner for free shipping.

This is the same exact hard drive as the other one I posted about, except this is the 2TB version.

Once again, highly rated, best seller on amazon. Plus you can probably combine with a cashback site to save a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an AMEX card, check your offers. I currently have an offer for $15 back when you spend $50 or more at Tigerdirect.

Is it better to have a USB powered portable HDD or a external powered one when using it with the Xbone? I've always preferred the USB powered ones because it required less cords and less plugins. What do people think? Does it really exhaust more power from your device if it's strictly USB powered?

I've seen a few deals on this HDD lately. Has anyone actually purchased it? If so, any results to share?

Also, does anyone know if it is USB powered? I tried looking at the specs and couldn't find a spot that specifically said it was.

I'm about to buy most of my fall games digitally on the xbone so this could potentially be perfect.

Not sure how this will work with the XB1, but on the PS3, I needed to use a USB 'Y' connector to get enough juice from the PS3 or use an external drive with an AC plug in order to get it to work correctly.  

I've seen a few deals on this HDD lately. Has anyone actually purchased it? If so, any results to share?

Also, does anyone know if it is USB powered? I tried looking at the specs and couldn't find a spot that specifically said it was.

I'm about to buy most of my fall games digitally on the xbone so this could potentially be perfect.
It's USB powered. If you look at the pictures of the device there is no AC adapter port, just the USB and the status indicator. Also all WD HDDs that are the My Passport series are USB powered.

I doubt this will be as fast as the internal hard drive sadly. I actually just put a 2TB in my PS4.
i actually did some time test on externals vs the installed hdd. in some aspects the eternal loaded faster on some games the internal was faster. but there was not enough differences to rule out an external.

if you dont mind where did you find a 2TB for your PS4, im currently looking for a good deal on one

Also find a movers coupon and use your BB card and you can get this cheaper at BB currently 109.99

I am currently using this exact drive with my Xbone and I am not aware of any problems.  Works great and seems about as fast as the internal drive, but I have not done any actual tests of this - just moved games to the external drive and they seem to load in about the same amount of time.  However, I would recommend waiting as I think I purchased mine for about $80.

I doubt this will be as fast as the internal hard drive sadly. I actually just put a 2TB in my PS4.
Actually, both the PS4 and XBox One have USB 3.0 ports, which are up to 10x faster than USB 2.0 ports, and should be decent for games. I agree that having an internal drive is preferred (and internal SATA drives have some advantages over external USB drives), but external USB 3.0 drives should be competitive. USB 2.0 drives aren't going to perform as well, obviously. Oddly Nintendo only provided USB 2.0 ports for Wii U, even though that console has no internal HDD or even a bay for one, which obviously impacts its performance loading games.

I decided to buy this HDD & should be receiving it today. The shipping was incredibly fast. I'll be sure to report how it functions as I have a lot of games currently installed on my system.

Could you use this with a Wii U?  There was another thread with a similar deal geared towards the Xbox One. 

Is it possible to turn this into a powered external hard drive, using a USB Y-adapter with one of the ends connected to a USB wall outlet?

bread's done
Back