Any PS3 YLOD Experts Or Backup And Restore Experts Here?

Sean Price

CAG Newbie
My phat 80gb MGS4 PS3 bundle went down on me..(it shut down in the middle of a game, I turned it back and within a few minutes it shut down again)...   I panicked and immediatley powered it off and left it off... that was about 4 months ago....

2 months ago I found a slim ps3 gta V bundle on craigs for $200(sold GTA V for $25) and threw that up yesterday

I have some questions.. 

1. I restored from bakcup (1 from 8 months ago but better than nothing) BUT NONE OF MY GAME DEMOS are there?  What gives, what happened to them?  I really, REALLy want those back..  any ideas?

2. My username has a * next to it?    Whats up with that?  It displays as such  *username

3. If I can turn on my ps3 long enough, what do I need to do to get my Farcry 3 on in my new ps3 at the point I left off at? (68hrs in and no way I can start over now)

4. Anyone know of a good guide(superbly done) to take apart the phat PS3 to clean it out and replace the thermal paste with new stuff? 

Did a lot of research but most of the guides out there are like 3-4 years old and WORSe back then Reballing was considered a permanent fix but if you look now most of the "professional" places don't even offer a reball as now its seems a Reflow is just as good as Reball(when the reflow is done with a reball machine) and this just throws all those guides into the very doubtful arena for me..

I really, REALLY want my phat ps3 back.. and NOT just for my data on there.. but just to have it back...

let me know!

oNe

When my PS3 had YLOD, I was able to bring it back up and backup my data by using the hair-dyer trick (no opening of the case required).  Be warned though that because you will be switching units, some stuff will not transfer even with a backup/restore.   If you are able to access your old PS3, the best way to backup your saved games may be using the PS+ cloud.

1.) demos can be re-downloaded from the PSN store under "View Downloads"

3.)May be able to insert thumb drive into usb and "triangle copy" your save onto the stick for transfer to new machine. or just save it to profile if you are PS+

4.) https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Yellow+Light+of+Death+Repair/3654

Buy the kit and follow the instructions step by step. I did (look in comments for my post) on an original launch 60GB to get it up and running again.

OH and remember to schedule in a system save. check Newegg for some great portable hard drives. I use a 2tb Seagate and Seagate diskwizard for setting up a FAT32 partition.

I hope some of the above helps you ^^

I am pretty familiar with it but just went thru this web page to get a refresher before going further:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/798/

I have 2 PS3's, an original BCC 80gb Phat 

and a

500gb Super Slim

- my PHAT BCC PS3 just came back from a YLOD repair

-  Immediately turned it on and ran the backup utility to my ext USB drive, took a long, LONG time..

- After 4 hours the backup was complete, mind you all I have is game demos and video trailers downloaded FREE from PSN network, no $$ purchases

- Completely wiped my 500g Super Slim using the Restore PS3 option which formats and wipes your PS3 and brings it to its defaults

- Ran the Restore utility on the Super Slim using the above backup

- Fired up the Super Slim PS3 after the successful restore

The backup took 4 hours to complete... However the ONLY thing that seemed to carry over to my PS3 is my 2 user accounts, a few games saves and all the videos..

Which brings me to my questions..

1. What in the heck did the 4 hour backup actually Back up then?   Where is all my stuff?

2. My usernames now have **ASTERISKs** next to them..  Anyone have any idea?    i.e.   *myusername    v/s   myusername

3. How can I get all my stuff?  If I plug that ext USB drive to my computer it says there is 65gb's of data there.. but it obviously can't read it..

4. Sure I have my game saves right, but Do i really Need to install ALL MY GAMES AGAIN???   GTA V took like 2 hours to install...

5. My Game saves from Walking Dead did not copy over and I can't manually come them over as that option isn't available,   What can I do?

Anyone have any suggestions or input on this?

oNe

Be warned though that because you will be switching units, some stuff will not transfer even with a backup/restore. If you are able to access your old PS3, the best way to backup your saved games may be using the PS+ cloud.

I am pretty familiar with it but just went thru this web page to get a refresher before going further:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/798/

I have 2 PS3's, an original BCC 80gb Phat

and a

500gb Super Slim

- my PHAT BCC PS3 just came back from a YLOD repair

- Immediately turned it on and ran the backup utility to my ext USB drive, took a long, LONG time..

- After 4 hours the backup was complete, mind you all I have is game demos and video trailers downloaded FREE from PSN network, no $$ purchases

- Completely wiped my 500g Super Slim using the Restore PS3 option which formats and wipes your PS3 and brings it to its defaults

- Ran the Restore utility on the Super Slim using the above backup

- Fired up the Super Slim PS3 after the successful restore

The backup took 4 hours to complete... However the ONLY thing that seemed to carry over to my PS3 is my 2 user accounts, a few games saves and all the videos..

Which brings me to my questions..

1. What in the heck did the 4 hour backup actually Back up then? Where is all my stuff?

2. My usernames now have **ASTERISKs** next to them.. Anyone have any idea? i.e. *myusername v/s myusername

3. How can I get all my stuff? If I plug that ext USB drive to my computer it says there is 65gb's of data there.. but it obviously can't read it..

4. Sure I have my game saves right, but Do i really Need to install ALL MY GAMES AGAIN??? GTA V took like 2 hours to install...

5. My Game saves from Walking Dead did not copy over and I can't manually come them over as that option isn't available, What can I do?

Anyone have any suggestions or input on this?

oNe
The same exact thing happen to me except that I didn't pay for a repair and did the "hair blower" trick to bring the PS3 back to life. I was able to backup the original PS3 which took hours and then restore to the new one which took seconds and most stuff was NOT copied forward... mostly non-copy protected save games. The backup/restore is best used for the IDENTICAL PS3, not transferring data to a different PS3. Here's my shot at your questions:

1) The backup copied everything, but because the restore was not to the same unit, the restore did not restore everything.

2) I think the asterisks go away the first time you actually log into the PS network.

3) You can't get your other stuff off the hard drive onto your new PS3

4) Yes, you need to re-download all of your games!

5) I assume the Walking Dead save games have copy protection so there is nothing you can do to get them from your backup device... If you have PS+, upload the saves to the cloud from the old PS3 and then download them from the cloud to the new PS3.

Also, if you are not going to use your old PS3 be sure to deactivate any DLC/digital purchases.

bread's done
Back