Vita owners! Guide me down the right path with your game recommendations!

ZForce915

CAGiversary!
Feedback
112 (100%)
I'm looking for some game recommendations for my Vita that's coming in the mail. It's the Borderlands 2 bundle, so I've got that already.

I would ideally like one RPG, my personal favorites being the dragon quest series and star ocean 2. So name me your ONE, non persona 4 recommendation.

Then for the rest I'd like to know your next 3 recommendations and why you liked it. I could google metacritic results but I'm genuinely interested in your personal experiences with these games. Challenge yourself to narrow it down to three.

Hello and congrats on the new Vita!  I really enjoyed the FFX remake so if you're into RPGs that might be an option.  If I had to suggest a few games the list would be as follows:

1. FFX HD (RPG recommendation)

2. Dragon's Crown - very entertaining hack n slash with good graphics and multi-player.

3. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - A throw back for me because I enjoyed the old Sly games.  I feel they did a great job staying true to the series while significantly advancing it at the same time.

4. The Walking Dead - Your interest in this one will be determined by how much you enjoy (or do not enjoy) episodic adventures.  This one has a great show and you'll undoubtedly like it if you're a fan of the television series.

Hope this helps!  Some other games I enjoy are Rayman, Plants vs. Zombies and Rainbow Moon.

Hello and congrats on the new Vita! I really enjoyed the FFX remake so if you're into RPGs that might be an option. If I had to suggest a few games the list would be as follows:

1. FFX HD (RPG recommendation)

2. Dragon's Crown - very entertaining hack n slash with good graphics and multi-player.

3. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - A throw back for me because I enjoyed the old Sly games. I feel they did a great job staying true to the series while significantly advancing it at the same time.

4. The Walking Dead - Your interest in this one will be determined by how much you enjoy (or do not enjoy) episodic adventures. This one has a great show and you'll undoubtedly like it if you're a fan of the television series.

Hope this helps! Some other games I enjoy are Rayman, Plants vs. Zombies and Rainbow Moon.
These are exactly what I wanted, thank you. Dragons Crown wasn't on my radar, I'll be sure to look into that more. And I'm sure that FFX would be right up my alley.

What's wrong with persona 4??? :(
It's the easy pick, I'd like some more creative answers.

Persona 3 Portable and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment are both playable on Vita.  You know what to do.  I'd also recommend Half Minute Hero if you never played it.  And of course, there are plenty of old PS1 JRPGs available for Vita, like Grandia and Xenogears if you missed out on those long ago.

Great taste in JRPGs btw.  I wish they'd release the original Star Ocean 2 on PS1 Classics as it'd be great on Vita.  The terrible voice acting cannot be beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have PS+, that's my suggestion.

If you do, HSG. Even if you don't like golf it's still a good game. MLB 14 is on sale now for fairly cheap. Wipeout is always a fun go, although it's free (or was) on PS+.

Also the Atelier Vita games.  Atelier Rorona Plus was just released and it's a full on remake of the first PS3 game, so start with that first.

There's also Final fantasy IV the complete Collection (great remake, it has better graphics than the SNES and PSX versions, and it includes both the stuff from the GBA release, and the after years game.)

Lunar Silver Star Harmony is also great.  The Riviera game (though not sure if this plays on Vita) is also awesome.  And there's also Legend of the heroes Trails in the sky.  If you like Tactical RPGs, there's the 3 disgaea games that have been released (1 and 2 on psp, and 3 on vita, and 4 is coming soon), Z.H.P., the final fantasy tactics remake for psp (better than the ps1 version), the tactics ogre game, and the rest of the NIS games like Phantom Brave.  There's also the prinny games which are fun platformers (but very hard).  Of course, there's also the long list of PS1 RPGs that have been released on the psn.  Sadly, a lot of really good remakes for the psp, like Star Ocean 1 & 2 you cannot get because Squeenix only released them physically.

I'm looking for some game recommendations for my Vita that's coming in the mail. It's the Borderlands 2 bundle, so I've got that already.

I would ideally like one RPG, my personal favorites being the dragon quest series and star ocean 2. So name me your ONE, non persona 4 recommendation.

Then for the rest I'd like to know your next 3 recommendations and why you liked it. I could google metacritic results but I'm genuinely interested in your personal experiences with these games. Challenge yourself to narrow it down to three.
Soul Sacrifice

DanganRonpa
Killzone: Mercenary
Need for Speed: Most Wanted

FFX is great on Vita. I probably have 60hours logged.

Disgaea 3 if you like strategy RPGs.

Walking Dead Season 1 was a blast from start to finish.

Killzone Mercenaries is hands down the best shooter on the system, nothing is close. A fun campaign and good multiplayer experience.

NFS Most Wanted: Best racing game on Vita.

Wipeout is good fun.

Hotline Miami is a must play.

Terraria is a fun, deep Indy game.

Dragon's Crown is a fun beat'em up 2D RPG.

MGS HD is fun if youre into stealthy action games.

I love to retro game on this system as PSONE classics look great on there.
FFT, FFVII, FFVII, FFIX are all fun. Infact you can own and play FFI to FFX, including Dissidia Final Fantasy and Vagrant Story all on your Vita in the palm of your hands. Pretty cool if you ask me.

If you have a PS3 there are a lot more PSONE games you can buy via the PS3 and transfer over and play on Vita than you will find on the Vita store. Just be sure to Google Vita compatibility first before purchasing via PS3.

Ys Seven is awesome, it's a PSP game that looks really good on the Vita and there is a new Ys made for Vita that just released which has garnered great reviews.

Hope this helps.

Now that I think about it, anyone else think it's super crazy that you can play 11 final fantasies on the vita?  (12 if they put 11 on there, which they had mentioned years ago that they had planned to)

Can anyone vouch for Final Fantasy X-2? I'm tempted to pick it up from another CAG member.

Aside from that, not sure what to say. Thought Ragnarok Odyssey was kind of a drag, and it's the only Vita-specific game I've got that's even close to an RPG. If you don't mind going back to the PSOne library, get yourself a copy of Suikoden, then curse Sony for not releasing the sequel on PSN.

All my Vita faves are fighters... Mortal Kombat is as ugly as an elephant's butt, but plays great. Street Fighter X Tekken both looks AND plays great. Darkstalkers Chronicles (a PSP release) really shines on the Vita thanks to its sharp D-pad. PlayStation All-Stars is a fun Smash Bros. knock-off with terrific graphics.

Oh, I would recommend TxK if you like old-school arcade games. It's basically Tempest 2000 with mindblowing visuals and an entrancing soundtrack. Ten bucks, man, you can't go wrong.

In regards to FFX-2 above, I have it for Vita... Never used the code. Wish I could sell it...

Don't forget Terraria, fantastic indie game that is probably better on the Vita than any other version of the game (it's also out on PS3, 360, PC, and android). It's a sandbox adventure game with tons of creatures, weapons, crafting, and boss battles; one of my favorite games of all time. The Vita version adds touchscreen support for inventory management and zooming in/out for your view, features that really improve the game immensely.

Is it a vita port, remaster (stuff added/optimized), or full remake?
They completely redid the graphics, changed the alchemy and battle systems to be more like Meruru and the later games, added new characters, endings, and dungeons. It's the same game on Vita and PS3. The other Atelier "Plus" titles are all just enhanced ports on Vita. No change in graphics or the basic systems, but they added DLC costumes and characters to the main game.

Ys: Memories of Celceta.
Got a White OLED Vita coming in the mail... it's used but the price was good, it was an OLED model and... it's white, so it's a bit more uncommon, I guess.:whistle2:k After paying for it, I started to regret it and kept asking why I got it since the only game I have serious interest in is Uncharted, but this thread has made my purchase much easier to justify.

I definitely need to get Ys Celceta. I loved all of the PSP iterations (well, except for Ark... which I played on the PS2 but didn't think was very good) so that's one I should have thought of before.

Two games I've been wanting that haven't been mentioned yet are Gravity Rush and Tear Away, both of which were critically well received new IPs.

I appreciate the discussion everyone. I hopped on PS Plus right away so I it looks like I will be able to try Dragons Crown soon.

I downloaded Hot Shots Golf and was looking for it to blow away Mario Golf but I'm finding the player progression a little slow. Was there ever a version of HSG that had more of a level up system rather than a equipment based stats boost?

I'm still dragging my feet on my RPG choice but I'm leaning toward FFX or maybe FFT, although I did play the GBA version of that.

Dead of Knight, seriously the voice acting makes SO2 what it is. The PSP remake just wasn't the same.

Ummm the GBA version of FFT is not the same thing as the PSP version (which is a very well done port of the ps1 game)

The ps1 version is the same price as the PSP version.  So, unless you plan on playing it on your ps3 a lot, get the better version for PSP.

Well I played both and I prefer the PS1 version. It gives you a little more flexibility in terms of where you can play but more importantly to me is that I owned the original disc and logged enormous hours on my PS1 copy back in the day so I no doubt identify strongly with it. It's only $9 on PSN.

It looks great on the OLED screen considering it's age.

bread's done
Back