* * * * - 3 votes

Amazon Lightning Deal: The Legend of Zelda Box Set: Prima Official Game Guide 7/24 3PM EST

#31 alucardus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   355 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

alucardus

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Was just letting other people in the thread know this is not real as people are going Ba and forth. And yes I knew it was not real before I purchased the set last year.

#32 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2474 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

That's my point.  There is very little collectible value here because they produced far too many of them and it's just a third party box of books for old games. 

Well, is your objective to flip this eventually for a profit, or to simply have something related to a subject that you are fond of, that happens to be pretty nifty?

I didn't get my copy because I'm expecting to sell it at any point. I didn't collect it because I thought it was going to be rare or valuable. I got it because I love Zelda and I love books. These are very fine books. The content in them is solid, and presented well. The books themselves are very high quality, with fine binding and hardback covers.

Obviously a product like this isn't for everyone. If you're looking to speculate, look elsewhere. These things aren't going to bump up in price anytime soon. But then, the comic boom and bust of the 90s should have already clued everyone into the dangers of such "investing." If you just like the Legend of Zelda, and want a set of kick-ass guides for your coffee table, than maybe consider getting this.

#33 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5621 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Well, is your objective to flip this eventually for a profit, or to simply have something related to a subject that you are fond of, that happens to be pretty nifty?

I didn't get my copy because I'm expecting to sell it at any point. I didn't collect it because I thought it was going to be rare or valuable. I got it because I love Zelda and I love books. These are very fine books. The content in them is solid, and presented well. The books themselves are very high quality, with fine binding and hardback covers.

Obviously a product like this isn't for everyone. If you're looking to speculate, look elsewhere. These things aren't going to bump up in price anytime soon. But then, the comic boom and bust of the 90s should have already clued everyone into the dangers of such "investing." If you just like the Legend of Zelda, and want a set of kick-ass guides for your coffee table, than maybe consider getting this.

I'm not a flipper, but I am a collector who actually thinks about what I am buying before I buy it.  To argue that as a collector I shouldn't think about how common something is strikes me as silly.  If I'm going to spend money on something Zelda related, I would want something more unique than a box of books that don't even have the special additions that the original printings did.  If you're happy with your purchase, that's great, but nobody should be critical of those of us who think $80 is still too much for this.    

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Did you expect them to write a signature on every copy of this?

Yes.... people sit around all day signing books at the ol' bookshop down the road.....

I don't know how many of these there are... but if it's as limited as Prima insinuated then yes, each one should've been hand signed.

#35 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22304 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Yes.... people sit around all day signing books at the ol' bookshop down the road.....

I don't know how many of these there are... but if it's as limited as Prima insinuated then yes, each one should've been hand signed.

:rofl: 

Currently playing: 

Nada... 

fyreboltx.png

║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#36 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5792 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Wait it's usually $107 from Amazon anyways. It's a good deal at $80 but nothing too amazing.

#37 dreamer131313  

dreamer131313

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Buy.com http://m.rakuten.com...d=-1&adid=17379

Bull moose http://www.bullmoose...CFQaOaQodjGkAlQ

Target http://www.google.co..._sku%3D14969793

Walmart http://www.google.co...0599990&veh=sem

GameStop: https://www.google.c...9.3.oJR_Wmor5sE

Barnes & nobles http://m.barnesandno...n=9780804161381

Urban outfitters http://m.urbanoutfit...jsp?id=31371933

And those are only a few of the name brand stores still having ton in stock not including the smaller independent stores. This was produced so much that it could be compared to a ubisoft CE in terms of production numbers and isn't limited at all. This will get cheaper either from amazon or another retailer
  • ck0 likes this

#38 Radewagon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Radewagon

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

That's my point.  There is very little collectible value here because they produced far too many of them and it's just a third party box of books for old games.  Indeed, nobody is even sure if the signature on this is real or just an autopen.  At least an authentic Babe Ruth ball would have some rarity and potentially historic value.  This is just a mass produced third party item that now they can't get rid of without slashing the price.  

Why is the collectible value, to you, so heavily tied to the number produced. That doesn't effect collectible value, that effects scarcity and monetary value via supply/demand. Limiting an edition size to add a false level of collector's value is kind of a lame tactic. I'm quite glad they made enough for people to own this odd set with no significant market to appeal to. 

That said, it's Zelda. I'm sure that in, like, 10 years, this set will be long out of print and that there will be a bunch of nostalgic adults with the dispensable income needed to seek these out from third party sellers. 

#39 henry00x   Chosen One CAGiversary!   1317 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

this averages out to $13 a guide which isnt bad at all, cant pull the trigger though

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Buy.com http://m.rakuten.com...d=-1&adid=17379

Bull moose http://www.bullmoose...CFQaOaQodjGkAlQ

Target http://www.google.co..._sku%3D14969793

Walmart http://www.google.co...0599990&veh=sem

GameStop: https://www.google.c...9.3.oJR_Wmor5sE

Barnes & nobles http://m.barnesandno...n=9780804161381

Urban outfitters http://m.urbanoutfit...jsp?id=31371933

And those are only a few of the name brand stores still having ton in stock not including the smaller independent stores. This was produced so much that it could be compared to a ubisoft CE in terms of production numbers and isn't limited at all. This will get cheaper either from amazon or another retailer

Gotcha, I guess this isn't anything "rare" after all.  I was under the impression that is was closer to that LE Hyrule Historia that only got a few thousand copies.

#41 jholden3249   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

jholden3249

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

What a steal! Had I known I would have ordered another set!

This is good not just for collectors, but just for having the guides. I bought as a collectors item for $107 back when it released, but I've ended up using about 3 of the guides so far.

Even the soft cover editions sell for $20 each. Having them in hardcover is so nice, with the chest and everything. I've ruined the collector's value with my greasy fingers smudging up the beautiful cover of the guides I've used, but I don't even care. I'm putting them to good use, and to me that's more important than sitting there looking pretty.

#42 jholden3249   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

jholden3249

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

Gotcha, I guess this isn't anything "rare" after all.  I was under the impression that is was closer to that LE Hyrule Historia that only got a few thousand copies.

They made 50,000 of these.

Like most all Nintendo memorabilia and "rare" games, they sell out slowly, even getting steep discounts to clear out stock. But once they're gone, they're gone, and price shoots up on eBay within 6 months. Saw it happen with Xenoblade, saw it happen with Metroid Prime Trilogy, saw it happen with pretty much every 1st party Gamecube game ever made.

Make no mistake, these were over produced but not by that much. Again, there's only 50k. Once they're sold out, you won't be finding this for less than $200-300 in a few years.

#43 ck0  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

Make no mistake, these were over produced but not by that much. Again, there's only 50k. Once they're sold out, you won't be finding this for less than $200-300 in a few years.

Not that much?  When Urban Outfitters is selling this thing, it's overproduced by a wide margin.  

People that wanted this have already gotten their hands on it  -- fans and collectors alike.  And it's still on sale.  Anybody not biting at $180, or $107, or even the flash sale price of $80 is not going to pay $200-$300 for it down the line.  They don't see the value for a bunch of hardcover guides at $80, and will scoff at $200.

Years down the line, at that point -- the game's themselves will drop in relevancy and so will the guides themselves.  

#44 RADa5AURU5   CAGa5AURU5 CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

RADa5AURU5

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

Tomorrow at 9AM there's a lightning deal on an adult size Master Chief costume, currently $516. I'm in at $100 haha. http://www.amazon.co...dealid=2d2c21e0

#45 pittsnoggle   Lord CAGiversary!   4043 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

pittsnoggle

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

i was interested in this but am gonna pass

1024483.png

#46 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5631 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Like most all Nintendo memorabilia and "rare" games, they sell out slowly, even getting steep discounts to clear out stock. But once they're gone, they're gone, and price shoots up on eBay within 6 months. Saw it happen with Xenoblade, saw it happen with Metroid Prime Trilogy, saw it happen with pretty much every 1st party Gamecube game ever made.

There are tons of old "N" products & games that have long since sold out, and are no longer produced, and can still be had at a very cheap cost in comparison to there original retail pricing.

Could this set go up at some point? I guess it could, but that will be ages from now, and by then, a great portion of those 50,000 buyers will probably be selling there's as well, so prices will only be "up" depending on supply & demand at the time.

Not that much?  When Urban Outfitters is selling this thing, it's overproduced by a wide margin.  

People that wanted this have already gotten their hands on it  -- fans and collectors alike.  And it's still on sale.  Anybody not biting at $180, or $107, or even the flash sale price of $80 is not going to pay $200-$300 for it down the line.  They don't see the value for a bunch of hardcover guides at $80, and will scoff at $200.

Years down the line, at that point -- the game's themselves will drop in relevancy and so will the guides themselves.  

I think this is a more probable outcome to this situation^

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Considering I don't think I'd break a $10 for them, I'm not worried.

As for your comments on Gamecube games..... uh, no?  Even the biggest ones like Wind Waker weren't going for much beyond $35 or or so, and that was before the HD port was announced.  You make it sound like every GC game was Fire Emblem or the OoT port, when that's not the case at all.

Of course, sealed copies of OoP games will ALWAYS go for a premium..... with the flipside being that they often take FOREVER to sale at those prices.  And even then, to use the WindWaker example again, I never saw a sealed copy that actually sold for anything over $100.  Letting a game sit a decade just to make $100, even if you paid $20 for it, isn't exactly a good "investment".

#48 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2474 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

As for your comments on Gamecube games..... uh, no?  Even the biggest ones like Wind Waker weren't going for much beyond $35 or or so, and that was before the HD port was announced.

Check again. The second-hand market for GameCube games has spiked sharply over the past year and a half. And first-party titles are naturally the most expensive. Luigi's Mansion used to be a joke. You could get it anywhere for $15 or less, and whoever was selling it was glad to be rid of it. Now you see it for $40+.

As the GameCube closes in on its 15-year anniversary, the second-hand value of its games is beginning to rise. I would expect this trend to continue. Demand for the GameCube wasn't nearly as steep for quite some time due to the system's track record at sales. But those same factors make concrete copies of its games increasingly valuable as time wears on. And nostalgia is eventually going to wrap around again. A lot of kids who grew up playing the GameCube are entering their teens and twenties now. In another ten years a lot of those players are going to be the retro-game purchasers of tomorrow.

I'm not saying anyone should rush out and "speculate" on GameCube titles. This medium has always been a lot softer when it comes to re-sale, and attempting to make money flipping used games will always be a fools errand. But if you're a collector like me, it might be a good time to start looking at picking up some of those must-haves before the market becomes a gouge-fest. Thankfully, I started snatching up GameCube titles many years ago, and was able to get a lot of the best games at reasonable prices.

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Check again. The second-hand market for GameCube games has spiked sharply over the past year and a half. And first-party titles are naturally the most expensive. Luigi's Mansion used to be a joke. You could get it anywhere for $15 or less, and whoever was selling it was glad to be rid of it. Now you see it for $40+.

As the GameCube closes in on its 15-year anniversary, the second-hand value of its games is beginning to rise. I would expect this trend to continue. Demand for the GameCube wasn't nearly as steep for quite some time due to the system's track record at sales. But those same factors make concrete copies of its games increasingly valuable as time wears on. And nostalgia is eventually going to wrap around again. A lot of kids who grew up playing the GameCube are entering their teens and twenties now. In another ten years a lot of those players are going to be the retro-game purchasers of tomorrow.

I'm not saying anyone should rush out and "speculate" on GameCube titles. This medium has always been a lot softer when it comes to re-sale, and attempting to make money flipping used games will always be a fools errand. But if you're a collector like me, it might be a good time to start looking at picking up some of those must-haves before the market becomes a gouge-fest. Thankfully, I started snatching up GameCube titles many years ago, and was able to get a lot of the best games at reasonable prices.

I don't think you quite understand what you read, or maybe it is I who is missing something?  $40 for Luigi's Mansion (which I paid $50 for around launch, and I don't think ever dropped much below $20) is not comparable to Xenoblade or Metroid Prime Trilogy..... not that those were the holy grails everyone makes them out to be anyways.  And like Jholden you are exaggerating.... looking on ebay RIGHT NOW I see plenty of Luigi's Mansion BiN's for $20-$30.... which seems to be more or less where the bids are ending up.  Same with Amazon, the used copies seem to be sitting around $25-$30.  

Just for the hell of it I looked up Super Mario Sunshine as well, which seems to be just a notch above Luigi's Mansion.  It looks like it's in the $30-$40 area after shipping.  No matter how you slice it though these aren't great returns, certainly not from an investment standpoint.

Hell, every GC game I've checked is coming up the same..... Double Dash, Pokemon Colloseum, Pokemon XD, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Animal Crossing......  The only one I see that seems to have jumped in value is Melee.  That one does seem to be going for a nice bit of money.

Besides, if Nintendo ever gets competent at managing VC, GC will be available digitally.  Maybe not on WiiU, but they'd be damn fools not to put it on the next console if they can't figure out how to get it on WiiU.  I don't want to try this market speculation nonsense, anything can happen and like you say it's a soft market, but I wouldn't expect it to be much different than any other console.  The only thing I'd say for sure is that it's not going to help the resale market.

#50 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2474 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

I don't think you quite understand what you read.  $40 for Luigi's Mansion (which I paid $50 for at launch, and I don't think ever dropped much below $20) is not comparable to Xenoblade or Metroid Prime Trilogy..... not that those were the holy grails everyone makes them out to be anyways.  And like Jholden you are exaggerating.... looking on ebay RIGHT NOW I see plenty of Luigi's Mansion BiN's for $20-$30.... which seems to be more or less where the bids are ending up.  Same with Amazon.

$40 is common for second-hand stores. And $20-$30 average on EBay is still $10-$15 more than you would have had to pay just two years ago. Luigi's Mansion was a launch game for the GameCube, literally one of the oldest titles available. And it's lack of popularity in its own day kept it in the bargain basement for a long time. The fact that the prices are at the levels you are quoting is confirmation that second-hand GameCube titles are on the rise.

Titles like Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy are aberrations, far outside the normal trends of second-hand sales. And both titles are pawns of the second-hand market. Xenoblade was published in the U.S. through GameStop, and Metroid Prime Trilogy is getting re-print runs through the same.

GameCube titles are old enough that they are largely immune to this level of active second-hand manipulation. GameStop no longer carries GameCube titles in-store.

Also, it has been conclusively proven that digital distribution doesn't degrade the second-hand value of original titles. If anything it can bloat demand for older, lesser-known titles.

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

$40 is common for second-hand stores. And $20-$30 average on EBay is still $10-$15 more than you would have had to pay just two years ago. Luigi's Mansion was a launch game for the GameCube, literally one of the oldest titles available. And it's lack of popularity in its own day kept it in the bargain basement for a long time. The fact that the prices are at the levels you are quoting is confirmation that second-hand GameCube titles are on the rise.

Titles like Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy are aberrations, far outside the normal trends of second-hand sales. And both titles are pawns of the second-hand market. Xenoblade was published in the U.S. through GameStop, and Metroid Prime Trilogy is getting re-print runs through the same.

GameCube titles are old enough that they are largely immune to this level of active second-hand manipulation. GameStop no longer carries GameCube titles in-store.

Also, it has been conclusively proven that digital distribution doesn't degrade the second-hand value of original titles. If anything it can bloat demand for older, lesser-known titles.

I edited my post a bit right before you quoted, sorry lol.  Still, I don't see why you think these prices are anything special, because they sure as hell don't look great to me.  I didn't bother searching for games like Fire Emblem and that Donkey Kong game with the bongos, I have no doubt that some of those are way up there.  I don't have time to go down the entire list of GC games but the only one I see that is jumping is Melee.  What some local 2nd hand store or pawn shop prices at is, frankly, irrelevant.  There's a nutcase near me who has a whole box of used PS1/GC/PS2/Xbox games, all priced at $60 or higher apiece.  Just to be clear, that's games like Frogger on PS1 for $59.99.  They will sit there forever and never have an impact on the market at large.

I don't know, maybe they have went up $10 of so in the last year, that doesn't mean they are gonna rise more though.  Hell, I don't know, maybe they will..... I am surprised by what Melee is going for, and am tempted to sell mine now lol.  I just don't see these games rising in price though.

#52 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2474 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

I don't know, maybe they have went up $10 of so in the last year, that doesn't mean they are gonna rise more though.  Hell, I don't know, maybe they will..... I am surprised by what Melee is going for, and am tempted to sell mine now lol.  I just don't see these games rising in price though.

They aren't going to be getting more common anytime soon. And while some of them have a decent supply, such as Melee, many more got considerably more limited print runs. And this is all coming after GameCube prices had been in a steady decline for the better part of the past decade.

I'm not trying to encourage you to speculate and go around paying stupid prices for GameCube titles. That's reactionary stupidity, and anyone trying to sell GameCube titles for $60+ is kidding themselves. But the prices are going to rise. As one of Nintendo's least commercially successful system's, the supply of anything GameCube-related is going to be much lower than the second-hand market for the PS1 and PS2. And the boom in Nintendo fans created by the Wii is going to further inflate the nostalgia demand over the course of the next 20 years. Increased demand paired with a fairly constrained supply is going to inflate the second-hand prices for the GameCube going forward.

We're even seeing it happen with the hardware. The GameCube was stupid-cheap to pick up for a few years, often going for as little as $15. I would regularly see perfectly good units in used-game stores going for $25. That is insanely cheap for a system as stable and high-quality as the original GameCube. Now the prices on the hardware are inching up into the $30-$40 range. Prices on GameCube hardware and software are going to steadily increase, peak out in about seven years, and then after a bit of a dip remain relatively high in the second-hand market. You won't see the kind of crazy software prices that are often associated with Saturn titles. But don't be surprised to see some of the harder-to-find GameCube games going for $70+ in five years.