Final Fantasy 1 and II Remastered; FFV and FFVI for $9.99 Each (Amazon)

R3DNate

CAGiversary!
For Playstation One!

FF1 and II Remastered: $9.99: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Origins-Remastered-Editions-PlayStation/dp/B00008RUYZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406453942&sr=8-1&keywords=final+fantasy+1

FFV and FFVI: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Anthology-VI-Playstation/dp/B00002R28C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406454074&sr=8-1&keywords=final+fantasy+anthology

You have to click on the Amazon.com add to cart under new in the right side of the screen. They're currently on backorder 2-3 weeks, but they said that about my Fallout games and I got them in a week. 

I have both of those, and I would skip Final Fantasy Anthology if I were you.  What that game did to FFV is criminal. I prefer the GBA versions of all 4, but V on the PS1 is the one that's just abysmal.

I saw this on Kotaku earlier this week, but I recommend playing the GBA versions. PS1 versions of 16-bit classics are usually terrible.
If I no longer have a GBA or any gameboys anymore for that matter, why wouldn't I buy them? I'm just trying to decide if I want the physical versions or not because I have them digitally on psn.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I no longer have a GBA or any gameboys anymore for that matter, why wouldn't I buy them? I'm just trying to decide if I want the physical versions or not because I have them digitally on psn.
Stick to the digital and play on PS Vita or any system that can fast load. It won't do much, but not will speed things up a tiny bit. Superior versions are Wii VC or if you don't have that a GBA/DS Lite

If you want a physical copy then I would pull the trigger. This is probably the lowest price they'll go before depleting the warehouse stock. After that the price will only climb.

Final Fantasy Origins is fine. Hell, if you're the type who'd prefer the original gameplay of FF1 (namely spell levels instead of MP) but want many of the bugs fixed, the PS1 version of FF1 would be the definitive one, plus FF2's eased a bit (though that one is a lot more about knowing how its wonky mechanics work).

Anthologies is pretty bad, as FFVI in particular has lots of loading lag that makes the game a chore to play, and though FFV isn't as bad in that aspect, it's got a pretty poor translation with stuff like Faris constantly speaking like a pirate the entire game and badly-mangled enemy names (Y-Burn for Wyvern is a classic example, but there's so many more). Of course, that may just appeal to you anyway.

I wish there were better classic versions of these games besides GBA with gimped audio and PS1 with loading. I really like the PSP version of FFIV (not the hideous DS version) and wish they'd kept going that route for V and VI.

FF Origins isn't bad so long as you know what you're getting (a facelift on very dated games). Still a fun history lesson, though.

Yeah, the translation makes FFV abysmal on PS1. GBA is the only officially available port of the game worth anyone's money, IMO. I recall there's also a fan translation of the SNES game which is way better than the PS1 from way back when, before any official ports were even announced (I think I played it when I was 10 or 11).

I wish there were better classic versions of these games besides GBA with gimped audio and PS1 with loading. I really like the PSP version of FFIV (not the hideous DS version) and wish they'd kept going that route for V and VI.
I liked the DS version of FFIV but yes, I wish the PSP port had been the beginning of doing V and VI that way too. I'd buy them immediately.

I liked the DS version of FFIV but yes, I wish the PSP port had been the beginning of doing V and VI that way too. I'd buy them immediately.
To be fair, some folks really don't like the visuals in FFIV PSP, but for someone like me who has played the originals an awful lot, it's a great mix of slightly different graphics while keeping it relatively similar.

I think I'd have liked FFIV 3D if it had been on better hardware than the DS. People kept making these 3D games on DS, and they just always looked awful to me. Even on PSP, I think it would have been doable, better yet PS2. And now that we have 3DS, which could handle this kind of remake very well (as evidenced by Bravely Default, which is by the same developer yet looks a million times better than their DS games: FFIV and FF 4 Heroes), sadly they don't seem like they want to bother. We can't even get the 3DS Dragon Quest games. Alas.

Sorry for the rant.

Note that there's added load times in FFVI (I haven't played FFV). 

It takes a significant amount of time just to load up the party menu and in the transition from combat going in and getting out there's loading time too which ends up being a lot of waiting you don't have to do in the original SNES and the GBA version.

Chrono Trigger suffered the same issues on the PSX as well if I remember correctly and while there are a few neat bonuses like the CG movie and bonus menu to check out bestiaries, I would recommend playing the original SNES or the GBA versions instead of the PSX ones for the best experience.

Yeah, it's all of them, not just VI and Chrono Trigger. It's IV and V as well. And the load times are hard-coded into the game, so playing them on PSP or PS3 or whatever systems have faster hardware doesn't change anything once you're in-game. Maybe if you've never played them elsewhere you wouldn't notice, but for someone who's played the originals or the other remakes or re-releases, it is a real soul-crusher.

i had the chronicles collection on ps1 and the load time in chrono trigger were ASS. like most square games the gba/ds ones are the way to go

These have been up on Amazon new for that price for years.
Not this low. I just bought both of these on Amazon in the past couple weeks along with Chronicles. I got both for around $9 each used when I bought them(only got them used as Anthology was non-GH and had the soundtrack CD, which the GH doesn't have). At that time Amazon was selling Origins for $15.55 & Anthology for $17.49.

But yeah, the load times especially with Chronicles and Anthology were really bad. It's not as bad with Origins, but still noticeable. Although if you want physical copy, can put up with the load times and don't have a handheld, this might be the cheapest you can get them new.

BTW OP, might want to edit the title to say "Final Fantasy Origins & Final Fantasy Anthology". As the title might make people think that other versions of the games are $9.99 too.

Man those games bring back memories. I started my gaming collection back then by buying Chronicles and Anthology collection via SE store. My collection has grown tenfold since then thanks to CAG. Regarding the games. The load times on Chrono Trigger and FF VI take the fun outta the games. Might as well get thr GBA or DS versions of the game, if they are available and if yoh really want this collection, get it for PS Vita nowadays as these guys are good on the go

Man those games bring back memories. I started my gaming collection back then by buying Chronicles and Anthology collection via SE store. My collection has grown tenfold since then thanks to CAG. Regarding the games. The load times on Chrono Trigger and FF VI take the fun outta the games. Might as well get thr GBA or DS versions of the game, if they are available and if yoh really want this collection, get it for PS Vita nowadays as these guys are good on the go
So psn Chrono trigger is something I should pass in favor of the Ds version?

Playstation Chrono Trigger has terrible load times, DS Chrono Trigger has an (in my opinion) inferior retranslation.

It's like Square is trying to get people to hate one of the best games of all time.  Possible so we'll stop bugging them for a third.

So psn Chrono trigger is something I should pass in favor of the Ds version?
I think the DS version is better. The translation was alright. PSN Chrono Trigger has load times, so might frustrate you during battles and walking around rhe overworld. DS Chrono is the best version for me anyway.

I have both of those, and I would skip Final Fantasy Anthology if I were you. What that game did to FFV is criminal. I prefer the GBA versions of all 4, but V on the PS1 is the one that's just abysmal.
FF5's one of the only PS1 games that's glitchy on PS2, which is incredibly bad considering out of the 1000+ library of games, only a few had problems. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2 Seriously, six games.

(All PS3s can run PS1 games just fine, though, so I don't actually know if FF5'd be problematic on a PS3)

These have been up on Amazon new for that price for years. Fun fact, these games are still in print.
I know, people act like this is some rare occasion, that some ages old pallet of treasures has been unearthed and these all have an incredible resale value, they're selling it to themselves, the dummies.

I used to own both of these. Eventually sold them.

The load times melted my brain.  

I guess a modern day comparison would be PC Skyrim against console Skyrim.  If you only have access to the console version, Skyrim is still a pretty sweet game.  But if you are aware both exist and have the ability to play a better version, going back to the crappy version is a nightmare.

Actually they have PSP "like" ports of them on the android market place.

FFV

FFVI

The downside is there is no physical verison to them, and stupid touch controls. Plus I don't know how they rate up against the other releases though, I'm waiting til they hit the Amazon marketplace so I can get them for free thanks to the coins.

They also have the PSP ports of FF1 & FF2

The III & IV games on there are the DS verisons btw.

EDIT: Side note. Am I the only one when watching this video who has a NOOOOOOOOOO scream go off in his head when "For Smartphone" comes up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXUKWzcy33M

Actually they have PSP "like" ports of them on the android market place.

FFV

FFVI

The downside is there is no physical verison to them, and stupid touch controls. Plus I don't know how they rate up against the other releases though, I'm waiting til they hit the Amazon marketplace so I can get them for free thanks to the coins.

They also have the PSP ports of FF1 & FF2

The III & IV games on there are the DS verisons btw.

EDIT: Side note. Am I the only one when watching this video who has a NOOOOOOOOOO scream go off in his head when "For Smartphone" comes up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXUKWzcy33M
I bought an iPad so have become kind of a sellout. I have to admit I badly want more Dragon Quest on iOS, but that is partly just because I'm desperate to replay DQ I-III and think the DS versions are hideous. But I'm also glad to have DQVIII in a form that doesn't require digging out my PS2 (even if it doesn't run at all on my phone--lucky to have a current-gen iPad).

What I like about the FFIV PSP remake is that it kind of sticks to the source material and it's still pixelated. and, it looks awesome on the Vita screen. The mobile FFV and FFVI are kind of a bit too high-res. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I will buy them eventually, and if they'd come out on Vita or 3DS, I would have already bought them and probably played the hell out of them.

FFIII does look superior on PSP/Vita and iOS, and FFIV does look better on iOS than on DS. But the source material is the heinously low-poly-count 3D of the Nintendo DS. I did not like PS1- or NDS-era 3D and could never figure out why people were so fascinated and pleased by it.

Oh well.

More ranting from me. Sorry about that.

That's awesome these are still in print, or at least Amazon has them!

I have both of those, and I would skip Final Fantasy Anthology if I were you. What that game did to FFV is criminal. I prefer the GBA versions of all 4, but V on the PS1 is the one that's just abysmal.
How so? That's the only version of Final Fantasy 5 I've played...actually that's the only version of Final Fantasy 5 I can recall getting released. At any rate it looked/played fine.

What I like about the FFIV PSP remake is that it kind of sticks to the source material and it's still pixelated.
IMO the PSP remakes of these games are the best/awesome. They look much better...yet they retain the same style as the originals. I played FF3 on DS because that was the only version available, but I vastly prefer what they did with FF1, 2, and 4 on PSP. (3 on DS also has slightly long load times too, though it wasn't the end of the world.)

Regarding Final Fantasy 4 on the PS1, it seems to be based on the "hard" version of the game, not the easy version we originally got on the SNES. IMO the easy version is MUCH better. The hard version is less strategic and mostly just quadruples the length of the game with constant grinding needed. Thankfully the PSP version both looks the best of all the versions AND seems to be based on the easy version. I couldn't finish the "after years" content but whatever, the original game is still pretty great.

I never understand why Amazon doesnt show their price as being the main one for items like this.

I wish there was a setting so i could see lowest price with free shipping.

IMO the PSP remakes of these games are the best/awesome. They look much better...yet they retain the same style as the originals. I played FF3 on DS because that was the only version available, but I vastly prefer what they did with FF1, 2, and 4 on PSP. (3 on DS also has slightly long load times too, though it wasn't the end of the world.)

Regarding Final Fantasy 4 on the PS1, it seems to be based on the "hard" version of the game, not the easy version we originally got on the SNES. IMO the easy version is MUCH better. The hard version is less strategic and mostly just quadruples the length of the game with constant grinding needed. Thankfully the PSP version both looks the best of all the versions AND seems to be based on the easy version. I couldn't finish the "after years" content but whatever, the original game is still pretty great.
I agree. I'm not a big fan of FF1 and 2 anymore, but I think those PSP remakes are about the best. I suppose the new iOS remakes of V and VI are similar (the ones I was yammering about above). They just seem a bit less graphically faithful to me than the PSP ones. I thought IV really nailed it.

Regarding the versions of FFIV--our SNES version was the "easy type," indeed. However, everything we've received since then has been based on the normal version (it's not actually labeled "hard," I don't think--it is the standard version). Now, keep in mind I am no expert. :) But the FF IV PSOne version we got was the actual, original Super Famicom version. After that, we got the GBA version, DS version, PSP version (I may have missed some). All of these were based off of the standard version, not the "easy type" version. However, they may have, some or all, fiddled with the balance to make things easier than the original. This is pretty common practice. The Super Famicom and Game Boy versions of Dragon Quest III, for instance, are easier than the Famicom/NES original.

But, very generally speaking, other than the original US SNES version, they have all been the standard, non-easy version, perhaps fiddled with in varying degrees. (I remember people complaining about the difficulty in the GBA and DS versions. I've been playing the damn game for years, so none of them seem difficult to me, although I have to admit that even the "easy type" version gave me trouble back in 1991 when I was 9 years old.)

Differences between the "easy" and normal versions back on Super Famicom weren't just difficulty changes. The easy version also removed a lot of complexity. For instance, we lost a lot of special attacks, like Dark Knight Cecil's ability to spend HP to send that wave thing across the screen and hit all enemies. It also removed weapon items, like the ones Cecil uses in the story scene at the beginning of the game. Those are available to the play in the standard versions but not our original easy version.

I think that about covers it. Sorry for the extended diatribe. But yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the GBA/DS/PSP/whatever versions aren't perhaps balanced to be a little easier than the original standard Super Famicom version (which is what the Playstation version should be if I'm not mistaken).

How so? That's the only version of Final Fantasy 5 I've played...actually that's the only version of Final Fantasy 5 I can recall getting released. At any rate it looked/played fine.
I think he just meant the load times. I suppose if you're used to PS1-era stuff and the load times, and had not played the SNES versions, maybe it wouldn't be too bad (like Skyrim comparison above perhaps). Load times in CD-based gaming was a tough pill for all of us cart-based gamers to swallow.

What's with Square and not releasing the PSP versions of 1 and 2 on PSN anyway? They hoard their sh!t something unbelievable and we act like Greek peasants under Olympus when we finally get to play something that isn't Hitman or Tomb Raider.

Played FF1-3 (&FF Dimensions) on iphone/ipad. Can highly recommend that, perfect for commuting.
But not IV-VI?

I agree; FF Dimensions is pretty great. I was annoyed when it first came out, because I really wanted it on 3DS or Vita. I just couldn't see playing it on my phone. However, I got an iPad, and that feels a little better to "game" on. Regardless of having different platform preferences, FF Dimensions has it where it counts. It feels like a genuine, "new" retro Final Fantasy, nothing RPG Maker about it, and it doesn't feel like fan fiction the way FF IV The After Years kind of did.

I never understand why Amazon doesnt show their price as being the main one for items like this.

I wish there was a setting so i could see lowest price with free shipping.
Um...

Goto the marketplace, and click on "Show Offers with FREE Shipping by Amazon"

But not IV-VI?
Backlog, and ever since I got myself handhelds, I play less and less on iOS. Currently I play FF X on my Vita.

I mainly posted this because I think the old FFs are great, but I would not commit that amount of time on a stationary console on such old games anymore. So I would advice against buying physical PS1 versions of these games.

Speaking of time, FF Dimensions is great, but so long! I think I spent more than 70h on that.

Backlog, and ever since I got myself handhelds, I play less and less on iOS. Currently I play FF X on my Vita.
I mainly posted this because I think the old FFs are great, but I would not commit that amount of time on a stationary console on such old games anymore. So I would advice against buying physical PS1 versions of these games.
Speaking of time, FF Dimensions is great, but so long! I think I spent more than 70h on that.
Yeah, I agree. It's a lot more fun to have them on portables for some reason. I'm excited to play X on Vita.

What's with Square and not releasing the PSP versions of 1 and 2 on PSN anyway? They hoard their sh!t something unbelievable and we act like Greek peasants under Olympus when we finally get to play something that isn't Hitman or Tomb Raider.
They adopted digital games very late in the PSP's lifetime, mostly because the guy that used to run it was a complete dipshit. They also won't put Star Ocean 1 and 2, or Kingdom hearts BBS on there, either.

They adopted digital games very late in the PSP's lifetime, mostly because the guy that used to run it was a complete dipshit. They also won't put Star Ocean 1 and 2, or Kingdom hearts BBS on there, either.
None of the Enix properties, either (maybe Star Ocean was originally Enix, too; I think so), so no Valkyrie Profile, no Dragon Warrior stuff...

I really think XSEED and Atlus have the business model right. Find out who your fans are, please them, get your stuff out on as many platforms as possible, and have big sales from time to time.

None of the Enix properties, either (maybe Star Ocean was originally Enix, too; I think so), so no Valkyrie Profile, no Dragon Warrior stuff...

I really think XSEED and Atlus have the business model right. Find out who your fans are, please them, get your stuff out on as many platforms as possible, and have big sales from time to time.
Maybe they're afraid that we'll remember that they used to make RPGs.

this is a little OT but how does DQ 8 run on an ipad air
The port is a bit sloppy, so it isn't going to be 60 fps smooth on anything. That said, I have an iPad Mini w/Retina, which has the same guts as the iPad Air. Runs great for me. It will run better on our iPads than on anything else, I'd imagine, unless the iPhone 5S is better or something.

I say go for it. It's a port of the Japanese release, though, keep in mind, translated into English. So, the voice acting and live instruments from the US/UK PS2 release are gone.

One of my favorite games of all time. Buy it!

bread's done
Back