Does your PS4 freeze/crash? If so, how often?

surak

CAGiversary!
Got my PS4 in May and noticed that it locks up and crashes way more often than any other console. And I mean it hard locks up and has to go through a recovery at least once a week. This seems to happen most often when I play Mercenary Kings (to be fair, it's what I've been playing the most), which kicks back out to the home screen most of the time but has sometimes totally locked up.

Occasionally it won't turn on from standby without a hard reboot either. This happened at least once when the last thing I did was play Doki-Doki Universe, so it's not just Mercenary Kings (though I definitely think Mercenary Kings is badly unstable).

I live in a temperate climate and the living room doesn't get hot, and the PS4 is not enclosed, so I don't think overheating is the culprit unless the PS4 itself is defective. Just wondering if this is common (after all most of the system updates claim to add stability enhancements) or if I should consider replacing it with another unit.

Only issue ive had is the standy. On occasion standby will mess up and just give me a flashing white light instead of the orange light. Will have to hold down the power button to make shut off and then it will run through checking the storage.

Not a huge deal, only takes a few mins for the system to come back up when it happens.

I can imagine that is very frustrating. I don't think it's normal. I've had mine since April and have only had one freeze ever. I play it almost everyday for an hour.

Could it be a virus or malware? Do you browse online with it? If that's what it is then a new unit could end up like the current unit.

Maybe it's a power supply issue?

Maybe it's a cooling issue(faulty cooling system)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had it happen a few times. It's generally a software/firmware issue. I haven't had any hardware issues. Certain apps (Crackle) are more prone to it than others. I've only had one game crash and it was Mercenary Kings.

If it were software why isn't everyone having chronic issues like this?

I think it's hardware and I wouldn't settle for it. It would be back to the store and into Sony for repair before all the good games start flowing soon.

Mine did at launch a couple of times but nothing since.

EDIT: See below. That's actually what I meant, I had a couple of games crash at launch not a full system freeze. Just pause....and crash and error code.

Definitely not normal. I've had my PS4 since launch and never had a system crash. Games crashing? Yea that happened a couple of times....but never the console itself.

Mine has locked up 2 times since launch. Both times were after using the Live Now video streams to watch some things. It would lock up and would just have the blue background still moving around but no text or images on the screen. 

Quick reboot fixed it both times. Never had any issues during any other activity. 

The only time I used the browser was for the PS@E3 promo. I really hope it's just Mercenary Kings being shittily written and the PS4 OS still having unfixed stability issues causing the freezes, because replacing the PS4 would be a pain.

I guess I should start tracking when it freezes in case I do end up complaining to Sony. I do choose to send crash reports every time, but I don't know what's in them and if they can even use them to tell if it's a h/w (like bad memory) issue or whatever.

What about doing a system reformat?

You could use the "Initialize PS4" option to "Delete all user data and restores the PS4 as if it just came out of the box."

Or

Do a complete reformat which would delete everything on the HD and reinstall the system software from USB. You'll have to download and save the latest system firmware from Sony's website and save it to a USB flash drive.

More information--> https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4%3A-safe-mode

If you still having problems after that, its most likely a hardware problem.

If you dont feel comfortable doing that, just contact Sony and start the process with them. Better to be safe than sorry.

The time it does lock up:

I'll turn it the PS4 on and immediately open the game I will play. If I don't let the PS4 on for ~10 seconds before opening the game, the PS4 locks up. Very annoying. 

Locked up once when I launched the Destiny Alpha, other than that, never had an issue, outside of some wonkiness at launch - but that was expected.

My defective launch unit would freeze and crash at random once a week. My PSU was bad on it and I think that was the culprit. Usually it would happen during intense gaming sessions 2+ hrs. My replacement unit (which was brand new in box, Big ups to Sony!) has yet to freeze, crash, or have any issues.

It didn't within the first 6 months but it is starting to happen every so often now. Like yesterday I was playing COD Ghosts and when I died it froze.

I had a bunch more crashes from Mercenary Kings (ridiculously frequent while replaying the later missions while going for the plat, so glad to be done with it) and Marvel Super Heroes back to the OS but no system freezes since my last post in the thread.

bread's done
Back