PlayStation 4 for $359.99 on eBay, sold by Newegg

Can someone explain to me why stores like Newegg even bother to sell items on ebay?  If Newegg is selling PS4s for $360, why don't they just do it on their own web site?  Why bother selling it through ebay?  Are there people who can't buy off newegg.com and have to buy through ebay or something?  Newegg even accepts paypal.  Or are these returned items?  Description says new so I don't get it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to assume that eBay offers some sort of incentive to drive traffic to their site. It's like a loss leader, but for eBay instead of Newegg. This is just assumption on my part.

Can someone explain to me why stores like Newegg even bother to sell items on ebay? If Newegg is selling PS4s for $360, why don't they just do it on their own web site? Why bother selling it through ebay? Are there people who can't buy off newegg.com and have to buy through ebay or something? Newegg even accepts paypal. Or are these returned items? Description says new so I don't get it...
Lots more people probably use ebay than Newegg.

I'm going to pick up a PS4 within the next few weeks for Destiny, and this is kind of tempting.

I've been looking at the CowBoom used PS4s for $324 after coupon/tax, but this would get me a warranty and brand-new system/controller for $35 more which is probably worth it in the long run.

I'm eyeing the white PS4/Destiny bundle too but can't come up with a way to get that for under $400 even with a BBY 10% movers (barely covers tax) and selling off the bundled Destiny game.

I just get the feeling that if you buy one of these that even if it is Newegg as the seller, eBay isn't an online retailer that is covered under the warranty. So basically you would be on your own if it broke. I found the info below at this link:

http://us.playstation.com/support/warranties/ps4/index.htm

Service policy
You must visit www.us.playstation.com/support or call 1-800-345-7669 to receive a return authorization and shipping instructions. A VALID PROOF OF PURCHASE IN THE FORM OF A BILL OF SALE OR RECEIPT FROM AN AUTHORIZED RETAILER WITH THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE MUST BE PRESENTED TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE.
and looking up Sony authorized retailers I found this link: http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.authorized.retailer.network

Which is a lot more retailers than I thought, but eBay isn't listed among them. And no matter who the seller is, the invoice you get is going to be from eBay, not from Newegg. Be careful with this deal, especially with it being first generation hardware.

I just get the feeling that if you buy one of these that even if it is Newegg as the seller, eBay isn't an online retailer that is covered under the warranty. So basically you would be on your own if it broke. I found the info below at this link:

and looking up Sony authorized retailers I found this link: http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.authorized.retailer.network

Which is a lot more retailers than I thought, but eBay isn't listed among them. And no matter who the seller is, the invoice you get is going to be from eBay, not from Newegg. Be careful with this deal, especially with it being first generation hardware.
That's a pretty good point, I wouldn't want to end up needing a warranty claim and then find out that it was denied because Newegg selling on eBay isn't accepted as the same thing as buying directly from Newegg.

I've bought numerous things on eBay before, and often they come with the place of purchase's invoice, not eBay. Wouldn't surprise me if this came with a newegg invoice, just like buying it direct.

GAH I cant decide if I want one now or I should wait for more exclusives!

I have a badass PC which I mainly game on...but then again I could save some money by trading in my extra Dualshock 4 for $38.xx to Amazon and I recently got that 293 from xbox 360 trade in.

Best Buy has it for 399.99 with Killzone and a useless Play Kit.  (10% off from movers coupon) + 293 from BB Gift Card + trade in extra DS4 controller $38.

Will cost approximately $60 -.- coming out with Killzone

Last edited by a moderator:
GAH I cant decide if I want one now or I should wait for more exclusives!

I have a badass PC which I mainly game on...but then again I could save some money by trading in my extra Dualshock 4 for $38.xx to Amazon and I recently got that 293 from xbox 360 trade in.

Best Buy has it for 399.99 with Killzone and a useless Play Kit. (10% off from movers coupon) + 293 from BB Gift Card + trade in extra DS4 controller $38.

Will cost approximately $60 -.- coming out with Killzone
Does your badass PC play The Last of Us Remastered?

There's your answer.

Why do people always bring up the stupid warranty issue.

This console has been out for less then a year and if you buy it from Newegg or Buy via eBay you will get a Newegg or Buy invoice every single time. I can't speak for the other large eBay sellers but I know from experience that is how Newegg and eBay handle their shipments.

You really think Sony is going to not handle a warranty claim on a console that hasn't even been on the market for a year because there was a possibility that you bought it from Newegg's eBay account?

This console has been out for less then a year and if you buy it from Newegg or Buy via eBay you will get a Newegg or Buy invoice every single time. I can't speak for the other large eBay sellers but I know from experience that is how Newegg and eBay handle their shipments.

You really think Sony is going to not handle a warranty claim on a console that hasn't even been on the market for a year because there was a possibility that you bought it from Newegg's eBay account?
Also, this is on the eBay listing:

QnWuwXC.png

M7vSOmb.png

If I was a company who wanted to save money in repair costs, avoid raising failure statistics, and use an unauthorized retailer website as the reason for denying service then yes, I do think Sony will do that. I hate to cite the case of the analog sticks rubber coming off, but it took them over a year to acknowledge that it was a problem and offer to fix it.

It's a business first and you are just one person. Safeguard yourself because I can assure you the company is not looking out for your best interest.

Last thing I had gotten from Newegg via eBay hadn't stated a thing about eBay on their receipt?

I've never had issue with Newegg, all I know.. From parts, peripherals and tech.

bread's done
Back