PlayStation NOW official thread

TwistedShade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
With the official open beta launch of PS Now for the PS4 I thought we could use an official thread to discuss the service in general as well as give feedback from it.

Just got home from work and I've been waiting to check it out and I have to say....HOLY CRAP. For someone who never got to play much on the PS3 or Xbox 360 this games library is PACKED full of great games that I've always wanted to play.

Final Fantasy 13, Zone of the Enders HD Collection, Catherine, Resident Evil Code Veronica X, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, and Killzone 3.

Those games alone make me think it already has a really great library of games. Prices don't seem THAT bad although they could be better. I'll probably mostly stick to the 1 week to 30 days rentals.

Only thing left is to by a test game and hope my internet connection can handle it.

Check out all 123 PlayStation Now games that you can stream to your PS4:

Adventure time: Dungeon because I don’t know
All Zombies must die
Alone in the Dark: Inferno
Alpha Protocol
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Back to the future- All Episodes
Baseball Stars 2
Ben 10 Omniverse
Ben 10: Omniverse 2
Big Sky Infinity
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger
Blazblue: Continuum Shift
Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
Bloodrayne: Betrayl
Capcom Arcade Collection
Catherine
Chime Super Deluxe
Choplifter HD
Contrast
Crazy Taxi
Critter Crunch
Darksiders
Darksiders 2
Dead Island: Riptide
Dead or Alive 5
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Off the record
Deadliest Warrior
Deus Ex: Human revolution
DiRT 3
Dragons Lair
Dynasty Warrior: Strikeforce
Dynasty Warriors 7
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Eat Lead: The return of Matt Hazard
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Enslaved: Odessy to the west
F1 2013
Farming Simulator
Final Fantasy 13
Final Fantasy 13-2
Galaga Legions DX
Greg Hastings: Paintball 2
Grid 2
GripShift v2
Guacamelee
Hamiltons great adventure
Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear
Hunters Trophy 2 America
Jimmie Johnsons: Anything without an engine
Just Cause 2
Kayne and Lynch 2
Killzone 3
Knytt: Underground
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Legasita
Lost Planet 2
Lumines: Supernova
Madagascar 3
Magician lord
Megaman 10
Megaman 9
Mercury Hg
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Slug 2
MGS Collection
MTX vs ATV: Alive
Nascar 14
Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge
Oddworld: Strangers Wrath
Of Orcs and Men
Order Up!!
Overlord: Raising Hell
Painkiller: Hell and Damnation
Papa and Yo
Pixeljunk Racers: Second lap
Pixeljunk: Monsters
Pixeljunk: Shooter
Pixeljunk: Shooter 2
PixelJunk:Eden
Port Royale 3 Pirates: Gold Edition
Rainbow Moon
Red Faction: Armageddon
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition
Resident evil: code veronica HD
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil: Umbrella chronicles
Ricochet HD
Rise of the Guardians
Rocket Knight
Rocketbird: Harboiled Chicken
Saints row 2
Saints row the third
Sam And Max- All Episodes
Sam and Max: The Devils Playhouse
Samurai Showdown
Shatter
Skyfigther
Sniper Elite V2
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
Sonic CD
Space Ace
Stick it to the man
Super Puzzle Figther 2 Turbo
swarm
Tales from Space: About a blob
Telltales Poker Night 2
Turbo: Super Stunt Squad
Twisted Metal (2012)
Urban Trial Freestyle
Way of the Samurai 3
Zeno Clash 2
Zone of the enders collection

I've been in the PS4 beta since e3 and can safely say that when all the title were free the service wasnt that bad. If your downloading via Wi-Fi a pop-up appears letting you know that you might wanna connect via cable. The quality isnt bad of steaming the game isnt (bad) there are a couple of lag spikes and framerate drops but nothing you wouldnt expect for a new streaming service. Ever since they started to charge for the rentals i've passed all the of the prices are pretty crazy (when i went back to rent sniper ghost warrior 2 it was 20$ for 30 days)

I really do hope they use this open beta to gauge prices ppl are willing to pay to rent a game for a couple days because currently its charging 80% of the games actual price  

Tried Final Fantasy 13. I did a 4 hour rental because I just wanted to see how the service ran. Overall I have to say it ran excellently with no problems. There wasn't any lag or stuttering at all, and the controls were pretty much the same minus using the TouchPad for Start/Select.

One thing that I was kind of disappointed with was the fact you can't take screenshots or videos. Although you can at least earn trophies.

I'm surprised that Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls aren't on the list. There were shown off when PS Now was first shown off.

Prices are horrible.  Right now you'd be better off finding a used / refurbed PS3 and buying the games from GS/BBY/Amazon/etc....they need to fix the price model.  I understand what they are doing and the money emulation costs but this is crazy.  They spent all that money when they simply should have said just to go buy a PS3.   

It would be better if those were for playtime hours and not straight off the clock hours.

Prices are horrible. Right now you'd be better off finding a used / refurbed PS3 and buying the games from GS/BBY/Amazon/etc....they need to fix the price model. I understand what they are doing and the money emulation costs but this is crazy. They spent all that money when they simply should have said just to go buy a PS3.

It would be better if those were for playtime hours and not straight off the clock hours.
Well then you'd need to spend at least $80+ for a refurbished system which could be broken or suffer issues not too long into the future. You'll also need a controller to go along with it, and then you'll still need to purchase that individual game you want. Or you could rent a game for a week for less than $10 and you'll more than likely beat it within that time and still have time to enjoy it.

It sucks that there's no buy option for games. Who wants to pay 30 bucks to rent saints row the third for 3 months. I'd rather have some sort of monthly sub fee that wasn't so ridiculous or have them charge less and offer the ability to purchase.

i don't know how this service will survive without major price drops or let people pay say 9.99 for unlimited steraming. It's not like any of these games are big newer games. 

Last edited by a moderator:
$9.99 is way too cheap given how much this likely costs Sony between royalties and setup fees. My hope is $20 a month or $15 for PS+ members.

Also everybody keeps specifically looking at those 90 day rental costs but is anybody seriously going to rent a game for 90 days? Hell you'll most likely beat it in a week, and by one month you'll probably be done it with so 3 months seems excessive.

It sucks that there's no buy option for games. Who wants to pay 30 bucks to rent saints row the third for 3 months. I'd rather have some sort of monthly sub fee that wasn't so ridiculous or have them charge less and offer the ability to purchase.
Sony has stated that they are indeed looking into a subscription model. Few details at the moment, unfortunately.

Source

$9.99 is way too cheap given how much this likely costs Sony between royalties and setup fees. My hope is $20 a month or $15 for PS+ members.
Also everybody keeps specifically looking at those 90 day rental costs but is anybody seriously going to rent a game for 90 days? Hell you'll most likely beat it in a week, and by one month you'll probably be done it with so 3 months seems excessive.
I also feel like 3 months is a long time to rent a game. The three month price should be the buy price. I find it strange that they'd charge 4 bucks for a four hour rental. You can rent a game at redbox for two days at that price (granted the selection is slim). 2-3 dollars for a one day rental seems more reasonable.

I think the 4 hour rental option as a whole is a bad idea. I don't understand the point of it and the price is definitely too high on it. They should charge like $4 for a full day's rental instead, and while that is double what Redbox costs you'll have easier and quicker access to the game with the convenience of not having to drive back to return it.

90 Day rental needs a revamp too as the prices are too high and the whole 90 day option just doesn't feel like it makes sense.

ps now is a amazing idea but the way sony is doing it with prices is just plain garbage. The only price that seems decent is the 7 day rentel but seeing most of the games are older even that price is little high.

7 day rentals definitely seem to have the best value, but even then most are overpriced when you consider what the going rate for those games are. I want to try out the service, but won't even consider it until a competitively priced subscription model is offered or these greedy publishers fix the rental prices on the games.

Such a poor way to introduce PS Now to the public and that sucks because behind all the BS is a service that could be really great.

well people are saying sony has yet to fix the button input lag issue and the games still don't look the greatest. companys like sony and the old onlive don't understand the backbone of us internet can't handle this service. 

I thought Final Fantasy 13 looked great and I was shocked that the game literally didn't have any lag on it.

Honesty I hate when you throw baseless complaints out there and refuse to link any source other than saying "people".

Well then you'd need to spend at least $80+ for a refurbished system which could be broken or suffer issues not too long into the future. You'll also need a controller to go along with it, and then you'll still need to purchase that individual game you want. Or you could rent a game for a week for less than $10 and you'll more than likely beat it within that time and still have time to enjoy it.
Ignorance is bliss and this is CAG. Sure it works out for a single game to play on PS Now. The prices are flat out moronic. Do the math with flipping as CAGs would. You can get a refurb with a controller, so you're just trolling with that. Also, for the rest of the world where life != video games, you may not beat a game in 7 days.

A lot of people play more than one game at a time and you are limited to that 7 day window. You know the phrase "life happens". You're SOL at 7 days and would pay it again to finish the game. For a bit more than the $10ish for the week, once can buy a brand new game, play it for several weeks, and flip it back to BBY or GS for about $15. Heck, on some used games you can even make money depending on where you get it from.

Ignorance is bliss and this is CAG. Sure it works out for a single game to play on PS Now. The prices are flat out moronic. Do the math with flipping as CAGs would. You can get a refurb with a controller, so you're just trolling with that. Also, for the rest of the world where life != video games, you may not beat a game in 7 days.

A lot of people play more than one game at a time and you are limited to that 7 day window. You know the phrase "life happens". You're SOL at 7 days and would pay it again to finish the game. For a bit more than the $10ish for the week, once can buy a brand new game, play it for several weeks, and flip it back to BBY or GS for about $15. Heck, on some used games you can even make money depending on where you get it from.
I like how you say I'm trolling and you don't even post how much it'll cost for a PS3 and controller. Then you start talking about imaginary games that are on PS Now that you can buy for $10 retail and flip them for even more without posting examples for anything you mentioned.

Talk about "trolling".

I saw on Reddit that Sony's started lowering 4 hour rental prices to $1.99 after user feedback. Good to see they're listening but I still don't see the point of them.

The technology works great, but the current model for payment is ridiculous. I'm also disappointed that they're not doing a key model where if you have the original game you could insert it into the PS4's BD-drive and be able to play the game over PSNow on your PS4. 

Still, it's a beta so hopefully they address the obvious flaws. Although, they may have just spent way to much money on the thing and they're trying to break even somehow.

The technology works great, but the current model for payment is ridiculous. I'm also disappointed that they're not doing a key model where if you have the original game you could insert it into the PS4's BD-drive and be able to play the game over PSNow on your PS4.

Still, it's a beta so hopefully they address the obvious flaws. Although, they may have just spent way to much money on the thing and they're trying to break even somehow.
I believe I read somewhere that they won't allow people to access games that they own for free, neither physical or digital.

I believe I read somewhere that they won't allow people to access games that they own for free, neither physical or digital.
Why would they? People are being fairly ignorant about not being able to stream their library of owned ps3 games.

Streaming is not free. It costs sony money to have the server with your game running and they have to pay for bandwidth to send the video feed of the game to you.

WAY too many people are missing the point of ps now. It, in its current form, is NOT aimed at "gamers". It IS aimed at casuals who might want to play a game every now and then. My view on the whole thing is they are mainly testing with the current beta to make sure the tech on the server side is working well and the main focus for ps now is going to be in their TVs.

People on this site or any somewhat knowledgeable consumer will know there are cheaper ways to buy games IF you own the console. If however you own a bravia tv that is PS now compatible, but dont own a ps4, and the newest GTA comes out and you dont want to drop 460 (console plus game) to play it, you could rent it for 30 days for whatever amount and play the game really easily for a lot less than buying the console and the game.

The only way this would be something "gamers" would really use would be if the cheapest option was like 1.99 and for 1-2 days. If you are on the fence about a game, you could rent it for a day or two to check out before buying and if you have playstation plus you get to keep your save in the cloud to use if you were to buy the game. I could see that being something that "gamers" would use, but current form is NOT intended for "gamers"

Or, of course, the cryptic subscription plan. I would totally do that and I imagine a lot of others would, too, for $15-20 a month.

The prices suck in the beta; yeah, I know it's just a beta but the whole point is to test the game plan.

I'm unimpressed by the game offerings. I'd like to see more RPGs such as Skyrim.

Or, of course, the cryptic subscription plan. I would totally do that and I imagine a lot of others would, too, for $15-20 a month.
This is the only way I would hop aboard the PlayStation Now train. I love the idea behind it, but it would be an easier pill for me to swallow paying one fee for all games as opposed to paying for each individual game.

For a person like me who sold both last gen stuff for ps4 a sub for ps now would be great for last gen games. Also should not ps plus be used to pay for Sonys servers. You should not be charging 39.99 for 90 day rentel

Given how bad their rental prices, I can't imagine their subscription prices being much better. EA's pricing is actually pretty decent, even if the game lineup might not be as diverse. $5 a month to stream 4 games is pretty damn reasonable. 

On the other hand, Kilik64 has a point... this service probably wasn't designed to cater to gamers, but to casuals. I mean, it's crazy how much money people pay for digital movies on Google Play or Amazon, and if Sony can get them to buy games for such prices, then I can see why they're pricing games like that. 

Given how bad their rental prices, I can't imagine their subscription prices being much better. EA's pricing is actually pretty decent, even if the game lineup might not be as diverse. $5 a month to stream 4 games is pretty damn reasonable.

On the other hand, Kilik64 has a point... this service probably wasn't designed to cater to gamers, but to casuals. I mean, it's crazy how much money people pay for digital movies on Google Play or Amazon, and if Sony can get them to buy games for such prices, then I can see why they're pricing games like that.
Im going to assume (yea i know) you are talking about movie rentals what are usually around 4-6 bucks. The argument against movies is "yea but I can redbox it for 1.50" which doesnt factor in time, effort, gas, time, remembering to take it back and not really paying 3 or more, and lastly time. 4-6 dollars for roughly 2 hours of entertainment is not a bad price even if the other option is technically cheaper if you disregard all the other costs or the opportunity cost of time spent going to redbox. Not to mention the fact that by necessity, redbox will always have a smaller variety.

when you factor in games, the price is 2/day but the time of entertainment can be exceedingly greater than 2 hours. Depending on the game, it could be 100s of hours that could be played on the game. If its a shorter game, the standard time to complete most typical sinlge player gamers is somewhere around 8-10 hours. For me, those type of games would be a minimum 2 day deal as I just dont usually have 8 straight hours to play or 8 hours in a day to play, but 4 hours in two days could work.

So back to ps now. 4 hour rental on a game that could only take 8 hours to complete, is 2-5 dollars for 4 hours, and to beat would cost 4-10 dollars, now seems really on par with redbox when you take out the same things as to why people will pay to rent movies on demand at a premium price, no driving, larger selection, less effort, less time, dont have to remember to return the game, etc.

Current game example, Wolfenstein New Order, can be beat in 10-12 hours, and if they could get it priced to where it was either like the example above, or around say 10-15 for a week, where you could easily beat the game and still have time to do some trophy hunting, thats not a bad deal.

Now factor in that you can do that on a bravia tv and your only other cost was a ds3 or ds4 (which your tv maybe even came with....) and you didnt have to buy a console to get roughly the same experience...

Yea I can see how this would work for casuals.

Again, not aimed at gamers, and no reason for a sub plan. Real "gamers" wont stand for the small amount of lag, prefer to actually own games, and are willing to spend more money to get a better experience.

Yea wall of text but basically a thinking out loud post.

if the market sony is going after for ps now  is so call not "real" gamers then why would you think a non "real" gamer would sit and play game non stop in a day to beat it. Either sony needs to offer sub version or lower renting prices.

if the market sony is going after for ps now is so call not "real" gamers then why would you think a non "real" gamer would sit and play game non stop in a day to beat it. Either sony needs to offer sub version or lower renting prices.
They wouldnt, they would pay for the week rental. 2 bucks for four hours to see if you like a game, then another 10ish for a week to rent, so 12 total for a rental is still not terrible.

If you know you'll like the game, just the 10ish for a week would still have value for a lot of folks.

Taking this stuff even further. A good for instance would again be wolfenstein. If a person bought the game for 60, kept it for a couple of weeks and traded back at 40, they effectively rented the game for 20 dollars right?

2 weeks rental at 10/week is basically the same thing but has the lazy factor. Dont have to go to the store to buy the game, return to gamestop or bestbuy for tradein, which still locks up 40 dollars from the original 60 in credit. And again, all the other stuff about not having to own the console.

So how is renting the game for 20 different then buying the game and trading back in for effectively the same amount? This scenario would only work for certain games (sp only as fuck trying to play mp with the little lag that there is, and has to be somewhat short so no RPGs), but still has some uses.

What I think a lot of people are forgetting was how much places like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster used to charge for game rentals.  I never thought differently about them.  Really they priced the weekly rentals perfectly at an average of $6 for a week.  With Redbox at $2 a day on rentals, this beats that price so for a weekly rental it is perfect, and i believe that is a perfect amount of time to put on a game.

The other ones are ridiculous, but some of that pricing is not Sony's choice but rather the publishers.  If they can come up with a great streaming price it would work great, only problem is if the streaming unlimited price is less than a 90 day rental etc. then it would make that pricing unusable.  So no idea what they may come out with.

bread's done
Back