Report: Gamestop to offer more money for trade ins

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
"Gamestop is overhauling trade-ins, and launching a new program that will wind up giving people more money for the games they sell." -- Per Kotaku

Per article:

- Gamestop will offer more money for games Aug. 18

- - Base value to increase by 20 percent

- Games will be traded in for "optimal" value; you do not have to trade in for other games, pre orders to get bonus. 

- They will no longer ask you to "trade-in" your game, but rather ask if you want to "buy or sell."

- There is a lot more information within the story, linked below -  

Full article here. With chart. 

Discuss! 

*edit - updated information

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, 20% + 10% PUR adds up. I see them doing this because other, major retailers have entered this space - Wal-Mart, Target, BB to name a few.

Gamers have more options now. Are we reaping the benefits? Not sure, but time will tell.

Probably a way to combat digital sales.  Hopefully this does not mean we will start paying sales tax on stuff we buy with credit.

Well this means I'm going to get more money the week of 8/25 on this stack of games. 20% more on the base value + 50% coupon on the new base, and the 10% PUR. Yayyyy

So base values will increase by 20% but promotions which usually give at least 30% more will stop.

So trade-in values will overall be lowered by 10%, how is this good news?

This seems like a great topic for Shopping Discussions. Specific video game deal, not so much.

So no more 30-50% bonuses basically, but a smaller increase (20%) in base values. Makes them a little more money and simplifies it for your average Joe.

Two main points of this change:

1) Gamestop will start offering you anywhere from $1-5 more per game!

2) Gamestop will be charging $5-10 more per used game!

Guess who wins... Gamestop!

This seems like a great topic for Shopping Discussions. Specific video game deal, not so much.
I thought about that here is my response:

If GS is increasing trade-in values by 20% come Aug. 18, then I think this is crucial information for the community.

Terrible news for us CAGs who follow the promos closely to maximize trade ins, great news for random soccer moms.

Feels like you'll end up with worse values in the long run. And now employees will be even more annoying by shoving this down your throats.

I don't see them raising the prices of used games because they may dominate that market but they don't set it. If ebay, Best Buy and Amazon are less consistently then people will just go elsewhere and at the same time trade their games in to those places instead.

A better thread title would be "Gamestop changing trade-in program." Don't be like Kotaku and write their press release for them.

Terrible news for us CAGs who follow the promos closely to maximize trade ins, great news for random soccer moms.
I agree that it is bad news for us, but I don't think soccer moms will benefit much. Soccer moms don't have games to trade in, their kids do - hey little Timmy, do you want me to buy you a new game from GameStop? Yes. Hey little Timmy, do you want to get rid of the last game I bought you? No.

A better thread title would be "Gamestop changing trade-in program." Don't be like Kotaku and write their press release for them.
I'm not sure you know what a press release is. I also don't need your edits, but thanks for the input.

I aggregated and informed the CAG community of a new change, one that will likely impact many of us.

I thought about that here is my response:

If GS is increasing trade-in values by 20% come Aug. 18, then I think this is crucial information for the community.
For the part of the community that trades in games and can abide GameStop, yes. Crucial sounds like home page material. That's where most sites put their most important content.

Anyway, let the mods be the judge. Their rules, they can choose when to ignore them.

In that chart, think of "0%" as the base level. Instead of having to worry about putting your trade-in money toward new items or Game Informer subscriptions for extra bonuses, all you'll have to do is trade in your games for optimal value. You'll still get less money if you take cash instead of store credit, and you'll still get 10% more with a Power Up Rewards (PUR) subscription, but all of those other bonuses will no longer apply

suck deal    its going to be a flat  20%   instead of the deals they ran like   40%  when you trade in  4 games.  they will no longer do deals its a   FIX 20% 

Sounds terrible if they're going to completely stop offering the 40%-50% promotions. Although this would solve the issues I've had with them.....

Keep in mind that 2/3 of our customers don't understand what "Trade In" means.

I saw this in the article and find this amusing.

To me this makes sense, but because it is Gamestop I'm also skeptical. 

Example:

"Get 50% bonus trade-in value when you purchase a used game."

In this case, I have games I want to trade-in, but GS only has the game I want new. So, I'll trade in all my games toward a used game, then immediately return everything for store credit and then buy the new game I want. I've done this dozens of times and all the employees at my local GS are cool with it, sorta like they know the drill.

I also don't have to worry about future promotions that will net me more money when trading in my games. 

With that being said, the flat rate and increase in trade-in value makes sense - there are now less hoops to jump through. I also see this as a way for GS to stay competitive in the used game space. Remember, if they aren't buying used games, consoles or electronics, they are not making money. 

At the same time, GS's overall goal is to earn its shareholders more money, so why would they offer us more money? 

Well this sucks for those of us who use promos since there is almost always a 30-40% bonus going on for preordering something. Better for the average person who walks through the door though so I understand why they're doing it.

No company does this out of goodwill. I'm sure it'll be the same damn thing but simplified for the people who don't understand that "trade-in" doesn't means swapping their copy of madden 2012 for a brand new game.

I rarely, if ever, trade in games at GS. I only buy shit from them during sales/promos. If this brings in more games into GS, shit, I don't care... more selections for me. 

Think of it this way - they're raising the typical trade value by approximately 20% over the current, so the +10% from Power Up will be equivalent to about 30% extra now (rather than the 40% that PUR members get)

If you think they won't still have trade promotions through the PUR website or the occasional promotion, you're insane, they'll just be fewer and farer in-between. 

I foresee less opportunities for exploiting their trade in likes there are now. 2 weeks ago you could buy MGS: Ground Zeroes for $8.99 on the XB1 or PS4. With the current trade 2 PS4 or XB1 games for an extra $15, there was a potential to significantly increase your Gamestop credit ($11 for each with the PUR + an additional $15). I don't think opportunities like that will come around very often anymore. 

bread's done
Back