Friends not moving on to current gen

texasstubaby

CAGiversary!
Sigh.... what to do?   I'm an early adopter of both the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One.   Here's the problem, nearly all of the friends that I regularly game with online have not adopted the new, current gen systems, and the majority of them don't plan on it any time soon.   I'm really looking forward to playing Destiny on either the PS4 or the Xbox One, but my friends are going to get it for the 360.   Of course, I could get it for the 360 since I still have mine hooked up, but I feel like I'm wasting the glory that is the new current gen if I don't play it on one of those.   Anyone else faced with a similar situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thats a tough call. Id say if you play with your friends often enough, then buy the 360 version. Because i think playing with friends would make the game more enjoyable than playing it alone with better graphics. I dont think you will be missing out that much going with the xbox 360 version. Its only one game, there will be many more games in the future you can enjoy on next gen systems. So i think it just depends on how often you play with your friends.

LOL thepcgameguy...  I'll probably go ahead and buy for the 360.   I know at least I can transfer my save over to the One if needed.  I've just been hearing how the PS4 is the console to play Destiny on because it was designed with the PS4 in mind?  (maybe I'm making that up).   I know graphics aren't everything... but it sure looked nice when I played the Beta on the PS4!

Are you serious with this question? Make new friends on the current gen consoles.

ECWAjZg.png

The visual difference between new-gen Destiny and old isn't much. Plus, they're both 30 fps anyways. You might as well play where your friends are at.

If there's any 'new-gen glory' to be had, it's not with Destiny. 

What do you do?  Learn your lesson and next time not spend $500 on a machine that is just going to play upgraded ports until the price drops enough for other friends to hop on and the software and market matures.  Seriously, the only thing early adoption buys you is the ability to play better looking versions of the games your friends are playing and you can't join them.  By the time there is a compelling reason to upgrade (games that are made for that generation), there has usually been price drops and by then more friends hop on.

I mean I'm not blaming you, I've been on the first adopter train before, but in this day when online and playing with your friends is a thing not only you have to upgrade, but they do as well.  If multiplayer is important to you, early adoption should not be a consideration.

I swore up and down to be exclusive to PS4, but then they announced Halo Collection and I crumbled T_T

I swore up and down to be exclusive to PS4, but then they announced Halo Collection and I crumbled T_T
If an HD port of Microsoft's main series which was guaranteed to continue on the Xbox One was all it took for you to be convinced, then I'm not sure why you swore up and down to be exclusive to PS4 in the first place.

If an HD port of Microsoft's main series which was guaranteed to continue on the Xbox One was all it took for you to be convinced, then I'm not sure why you swore up and down to be exclusive to PS4 in the first place.
Mainly because Halo 2 helped me through some very tough times in my 20s. And it may be my own naivete but I didn't see it coming (I should have). The original reason was because of the DRM fiasco (which they have fixed).

Mainly because Halo 2 helped me through some very tough times in my 20s. And it may be my own naivete but I didn't see it coming (I should have). The original reason was because of the DRM fiasco (which they have fixed).
I didn't mean that Halo was a bad reason to get the console if you're into it. I just meant that if you're a big Halo fan, then swearing off of a MS console seems like you were setting yourself up to break that promise. Plus, HD collections/"upgrades" are all over the place lately, so a Halo collection didn't come as a surprise to me at all.

As for the DRM, yeah, I also swore that I wouldn't buy an XBone if it had that DRM, and I would have stuck by that if they kept it in. I'm glad they took it out though, so now I'm willing to pick one up down the line once there are actually games I want to play on it. Sunset Overdrive looks like the first. I'll also get a PS4 eventually, but right now I just don't want anything on it. I'm perfectly happy waiting another year or two until there will hopefully be some games I want.

I didn't mean that Halo was a bad reason to get the console if you're into it. I just meant that if you're a big Halo fan, then swearing off of a MS console seems like you were setting yourself up to break that promise. Plus, HD collections/"upgrades" are all over the place lately, so a Halo collection didn't come as a surprise to me at all.

As for the DRM, yeah, I also swore that I wouldn't buy an XBone if it had that DRM, and I would have stuck by that if they kept it in. I'm glad they took it out though, so now I'm willing to pick one up down the line once there are actually games I want to play on it. Sunset Overdrive looks like the first. I'll also get a PS4 eventually, but right now I just don't want anything on it. I'm perfectly happy waiting another year or two until there will hopefully be some games I want.
Honestly I agree with you.

And I didn't take offense.

They have made great progress in reversing their stance and I respect them for it.

As much as I'd like to hold a grudge I just can't when the PS4 and Xbox One are still in their "early adoption" phase and games are sparse.

Plus I'll be completely honest, the Xbox One Snap interface and voice features (when they work) are very interesting to me and is superior to the PS4 interface (IMHO).

If playing with your friends on-line is important to you, just get the 360 version. Times are tough right now, and not everyone can afford $400+ systems. That's just the way it is. It's difficult that you won't be able to get the optimal version of a game you like, but that's just the price you pay to keep playing with your buddies.

If playing with your friends on-line is important to you, just get the 360 version. Times are tough right now, and not everyone can afford $400+ systems. That's just the way it is. It's difficult that you won't be able to get the optimal version of a game you like, but that's just the price you pay to keep playing with your buddies.
Agreed. It will be a much more attractive buy during Black Friday.

Which is why when I play Steam games I always buy 4 packs in case I get lonely and want friends to play =p

Also, there's nothing wrong with liking one console over another. Sometimes, a particular platform just caters more to your personal tastes. Sometimes a particular franchise that you have strong feelings about is just on one and not the other. It happens.

I can analyze for hours about the various decisions that businesses make in the video game industry. But no matter how many reasons you can come up with for how one system is "better," there are going to be plenty of people who prefer a different one. This is fine.

In fact, it's more fine now than it ever has been. The rabid level of competition in the games industry is forcing all the various competitors to step up their "games" significantly, and provide more value to the consumer. While some lament these divisions, I can assure you that right now we are living through the best of times. These are great problems to be having.

I can analyze for hours about the various decisions that businesses make in the video game industry. But no matter how many reasons you can come up with for how one system is "better," there are going to be plenty of people who prefer a different one. This is fine.
Don't forget about the rabid fans of each who sometimes will defend something to their grave regardless of said business decisions. (YouTube Comments).

Get destiny for Xbox one. Xbox one destiny players can join their xbox 360 friends and same goes for ps3 and ps4 players playing together.
Where did you hear that? I know i read they dont have 360 players mixed with Xone players in pvp modes because the graphics would make it unfair. I know you can have both 360 and Xone versions and use the same character on both because your character is saved to your account. I never heard you can play campaign mixed with both systems.

Where did you hear that? I know i read they dont have 360 players mixed with Xone players in pvp modes because the graphics would make it unfair. I know you can have both 360 and Xone versions and use the same character on both because your character is saved to your account. I never heard you can play campaign mixed with both systems.
Yeah that would make no sense to me either

All it took was a collection of 3 games you already have played and probablly still own to spend 400 bucks and dedicate yourself to? Microsoft got you cheap.

I say wait it out. I'm sure something like destiny will come out by the time your friends adopt to new gen consoles. 

Hey wakkawakka, my plan was to get a copy for the One and a 360 copy.... but if I'm understanding you, I can just get the One copy and still play with my 360 friends?

Hey wakkawakka, my plan was to get a copy for the One and a 360 copy.... but if I'm understanding you, I can just get the One copy and still play with my 360 friends?
I really dont think you can play with anyone from another system. I dont know where he got his information from, but i would make sure he is 100% about that before making a decision.

I've always heard of xbox one players able to join and play with 360 players in specific games, like arcade games. I really thought their would be cross platform play, assuming both copies of the game under MS brand console, ran on the same dedicated servers so regardless of console, friends can still play with each other. But I guess not sadly...thx for the article btw.

bread's done
Back