500GB HDD coming for Xbox 360 - MSRP $110.

Honestly, this is absurd. $110 for 500 GB is pretty ridiculous. You can get quadruple the space for the same amount. This can't possibly be the best option for expanded storage, can it? I mean, won't a regular 2.5" internal HDD work?

Honestly, this is absurd. $110 for 500 GB is pretty ridiculous. You can get quadruple the space for the same amount. This can't possibly be the best option for expanded storage, can it? I mean, won't a regular 2.5" internal HDD work?
PS3 and PS4 system will work with any 2.5" HDD. Xbox 360 systems need to be hacked to use any drive other than a MS drive. No other solution exists for storage greater than 32GB done via USB.

It's not "official", but I got 500 GB drive from Amazon this past spring for about $40-50 less than that. The thing works great.

This would be okay for me if it was for the thick/phat 360, just so I won't lose the backwards compatibility for original Xbox games.  When my Elite kicks the bucket, I'll just swap the hard drive case for a slim 360 hard drive case and pop it into a slim 360.

I was thinking of getting the unofficial 500GB or the 320GB that's being sold on Amazon for my 120GB Elite that is nearly full.  Even thought about just swapping the hard drives using my 120GB for backwards compatibility, Live stuff, and Games with Gold.  Using the 500GB for game installs and demos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempted to just spend $50 on a 3rd party option from Amazon, but I know as soon as I do that, MS will update the 360 to detect non-licensed hard drives and disable them, just like they did with the old 3rd party Memory Units back in the day.

A little pricey for 500GB, but it's something I suppose. I would prefer a 1TB HDD if possible, that way I can make sure I have everything on one drive. 

If I bought a 4GB slim Xbox and the 500GB HDD, would I be able to transfer my data straight from my old fat 360 to the new console? Anything special I need to know or potential pitfalls?

If I bought a 4GB slim Xbox and the 500GB HDD, would I be able to transfer my data straight from my old fat 360 to the new console? Anything special I need to know or potential pitfalls?
Assuming it still comes with the transfer cable in the box, getting the data transferred shouldn't be an issue. You would still need to do a license transfer to make sure you can use those items on the console without being logged into XBL.

It also blanks the old drive when it does the data transfer, so nothing's left behind after the transfer.

Walmart is going to have a special edition E 500GB model for $250. Might as well wait for that unless you need the optical port.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back