Disney Infinity 1.0 Free on Wii U eShop

Though gamers will need to pick up the game's portal and some figures, it's fascinating that the download itself has no cost.
still pretty sweet... i got this for the kids for 360 and their 360 broke so maybe i'll put it on the Wii U for them

Has anyone managed to download this yet today?

It's showing as retail only right now. I can't find a download option. Other items that should be here, like Mega Man 6, aren't online either. May not be online yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's showing as retail only right now. I can't find a download option. Other items that should be here, like Mega Man 6, aren't online either. May not be online yet.
Ditto...maybe it's like the ps store where you have to wait for the update

EShop updates just appeared. Downloading infinity now; it was right at the top with a big "Free" badge.

So, what is a decent price on a base for this? All I saw was $20 or so on eBay, and if I'm paying $20 for a base and $10 for a character, then the free download gets kind of ruined by those immediate costs.

A big reason for this is none of the playsets (Cars, Lone Ranger, Toy Story, etc.) from Infinity work in Infinity 2.0. They just unlock all the toys for the Toy Box. This is a nice way to make sure you can pick up Infinity 2.0 and still play the older sets still at retail.

So, what is a decent price on a base for this? All I saw was $20 or so on eBay, and if I'm paying $20 for a base and $10 for a character, then the free download gets kind of ruined by those immediate costs.
if that's the route you are thinking of going, might as well buy DI at target this week for $30 lol

This was released primarily for owners of the Wii game that are upgrading to the Wii U for 2.0. This way they'll get the superior Wii U software without having to rebuy a starter pack.

Nab the starter pack at Target for $30. It includes three figures and a token that unlocks three play sets that aren't available outside of the starter pack.

The free download is literally just the software. Without the figures and token to unlock that actual game you won't be able to do much of anything.

Keep in mind this free download is largely for pre-existing customers, not new ones.

thanks for that... nevermind then lol
You can nab a Wii U base for $10 on eBay, and all your existing figures, discs, and playset tokens will work just fine with it.

if that's the route you are thinking of going, might as well buy DI at target this week for $30 lol

Nab the starter pack at Target for $30. It includes three figures and a token that unlocks three play sets that aren't available outside of the starter pack.

The free download is literally just the software. Without the figures and token to unlock that actual game you won't be able to do much of anything.
Well, I'll have to think about that. $30 is a good price, considering I want no part of the Marvel crap in the new one. I just hate the starter packs of the game because the characters are so crappy. I mean, that's obviously their intent there, but it'd be cool if they instead made it a deal where it was the game and its hardware with any 3 characters, then sold the included guys separately with this stuff, instead of making us waste $20-30 on 3 characters most don't care about (compared to the standalone options).

Well, I'll have to think about that. $30 is a good price, considering I want no part of the Marvel crap in the new one. I just hate the starter packs of the game because the characters are so crappy. I mean, that's obviously their intent there, but it'd be cool if they instead made it a deal where it was the game and its hardware with any 3 characters, then sold the included guys separately with this stuff, instead of making us waste $20-30 on 3 characters most don't care about (compared to the standalone options).
Well, you could always wait it out for the Toy Box Starter Pack for 2.0. That comes with Merida and Switch, plus a base and the 2.0 software.

Well, I'll have to think about that. $30 is a good price, considering I want no part of the Marvel crap in the new one. I just hate the starter packs of the game because the characters are so crappy.
The newly announced 2.0 Toy Box starter pack is cool. No Marvel stuff, and $20 cheaper.

16299373_201408151415.jpg

Thanks, I probably wouldn't have noticed this otherwise. Would be nice if Skylanders did this.
Skylanders would be nice. My only gripe is how much Activision changed the portal after Giants.

I think I will wait for DI 2.0 to become available in the e-shop before I buy it. This way I don't have to buy another base & I can just buy the characters I want. It's rumored to hit the eshop during the holidays but who knows

This was released primarily for owners of the Wii game that are upgrading to the Wii U for 2.0. This way they'll get the superior Wii U software without having to rebuy a starter pack.
Yeah, I think having to buy all the stuff to play the game kills the "deal"

Btw I'm glad that I didn't get rid of the ps3 version that I bought during Black Friday lol

Skylanders would be nice. My only gripe is how much Activision changed the portal after Giants.

I think I will wait for DI 2.0 to become available in the e-shop before I buy it. This way I don't have to buy another base & I can just buy the characters I want. It's rumored to hit the eshop during the holidays but who knows
If it lets them do neat things with the gameplay I'm OK with them changing the portal. The Swap Force portal change for example seemed justified since it was necessary to be able to use the two part characters. But then requiring a new portal for this year's game (for the really gimmicky seeming traps) feels like it's crossing that line to where they're making changes just so you have to spend more money. That I don't care for.

Well, you could always wait it out for the Toy Box Starter Pack for 2.0. That comes with Merida and Switch, plus a base and the 2.0 software.
The newly announced 2.0 Toy Box starter pack is cool. No Marvel stuff, and $20 cheaper.
So what, $55 for that? I think I might still prefer the $30 1.0 game. Stitch is OK, but Meridia sucks. I'm still not entirely sure how these games work though. What do they mean by "Toy Box" starter, is there some meaningful game component missing (something about a game token for the first game was mentioned before)?

Might see about grabbing 1.0 for $30 now, then grabbing the non-Marvel 2.0 when it's about the same price or something.

So, is it confirmed that the 1.0 DI stuff won't work on the 2.0 base? Do you need to keep both bases?
The bases are identical between versions. Figures and Power Discs from 1.0 work in 2.0.

The only that will be left behind in 1.0 is Playsets. Playsets for 1.0 will only work on the 1.0 software.

However, the Playset tokens, when placed on the base in 2.0, will unlock toys related to that Playset.

For those confused I will try to explain.

DI 1.0 has two separate "modes". Playsets and Toy Box. The starter kit comes with three playsets (Monsters University, Pirates and Incredibles). These playsets act like structured games. Missions, objectives, etc.. While in a playset you can only use characters who belong. You cannot use Sully to captain the Black Pearl. Playing these playsets unlocks items for the Toy Box mode.

In toy box mode, anything goes. You can be Dash on foot, racing Lone Ranger driving the Pizza Planet truck. The toy box also has logic tools similar to LBP to allow you to create some pretty cool levels.

What that one free now on Sony?
It's only free on the Wii U so that customers coming from the Wii don't have to repurchase the game for their Wii U.

Since the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will be getting full releases of 2.0, there's no need for Disney to give customers a free version of the old game.

Sweet, I have the PS3 base I was trying to figure out what I would do with it since I'm getting the 2.0 base for PS4. I guess I'll keep it for the Wii U then.

Is there any advantage to playing DI on the wii u over the ps3? Is there any cool gamepad support or superior graphics? I'm assuming the wii u version is a straight port of the 360/ps3 version.

I have the ps3 starter set, but I'm wondering if it's better on the wii u or I should just save my hdd space and bandwidth.

Is there any advantage to playing DI on the wii u over the ps3? Is there any cool gamepad support or superior graphics? I'm assuming the wii u version is a straight port of the 360/ps3 version.

I have the ps3 starter set, but I'm wondering if it's better on the wii u or I should just save my hdd space and bandwidth.
if you already download a lot on the wii u I would play the ps3 version and save the hdd space on the wii u since someone said the game is at least 10gb

You could still download on the Wii U then turn around and delete it just so that it shows up in your download list.

I have the physical copy of the game already and plan on doing this just so I can eventually download it once I hook up a HDD to the system.

You could still download on the Wii U the turn around and delete it just so that it shows up in your download list.

I have the physical copy of the game already and plan on doing this just so I can eventually download it once I hook up a HDD to the system.
Just got a n external drive hooked up this wee k to my Wii U. I'm downloading the game even though I own a physical copy.

You could still download on the Wii U then turn around and delete it just so that it shows up in your download list.

Good idea. This is the same thing I do with xbox games with gold.

Just got a n external drive hooked up this wee k to my Wii U. I'm downloading the game even though I own a physical copy.
I need to clear off one of my external hdds with dedicated power or buy a new one. I still haven't downloaded pikmin 3 either from the mk8 deal because all I have is the white Wii-U and a 32gb thumbdrive.

Yeah, I just saw this when I logged into my Club Nintendo account! lol. Dizzam... 80 coins for a free download is pretty damn generous! :). I downloaded it yesterday afternoon around 12:30 and still don't see the survey in my account. Usually, surveys pop up pretty quickly for me (usually within a few hours at best), so I actually hope this goes through! :pray:

Also, since I don't actually own any physical DI merchandise, I might have to check out this $30 DI starter pack sale at Target I'm hearing about! I would definitely grab the Wii U version at that price! :D. I'd just keep the physical game sealed and use the digital version to play the game. That would pretty much beat having to hunt down a separate base and figurines on eBay or whatever... ;)

bread's done
Back