Civ5 beginner question and Steam Sale

qwikstreet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I was raised as a console gamer for decades but I'm starting to turn that around and get into some PC gaming. I always wanted to play the Civ games. I noticed that Steam has a sale this weekend where Civ is under 10 and then there is the game with a lot of expansions for under 17.

My question is should I even bother with all the addons or will I be overwhelmed as it is learning the mechanics and perfecting my strategy? I won't be able to pour hundreds of hours in the game and will be only a few hours a week to this game.

(Side note: I'm also on a macbook pro for now. I'm in the process of selling it for a decent gaming laptop.)

Well you'd get a quicker response in the Steam deals thread (yes I know it's a "deals" thread but they're pretty loose about that as there's a lot of discussion that goes on the and besides it is about a current deal) but to answer your question, the extra civilization DLCs are nice to have but don't change much other than giving you more options but the two expansions really do add a lot to the gameplay. 

The tutorial to the game is pretty good and you also have advisers in the game you can go to at any time that will give you direction on what sort of things you should be looking into. Or you can ignore them if you feel comfortable enough with the game. Your choice.

For a beginner to the genre, Civ V is definitely one of the best and most user friendly I've come across. As far as the expansions go, I think they add enough extra gameplay elements that it's worth getting them too and learning with them. Again, the game is pretty good about helping and guiding you if you need it, including on the elements the expansions add.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was raised as a console gamer for decades but I'm starting to turn that around and get into some PC gaming. I always wanted to play the Civ games. I noticed that Steam has a sale this weekend where Civ is under 10 and then there is the game with a lot of expansions for under 17.

My question is should I even bother with all the addons or will I be overwhelmed as it is learning the mechanics and perfecting my strategy? I won't be able to pour hundreds of hours in the game and will be only a few hours a week to this game.

(Side note: I'm also on a macbook pro for now. I'm in the process of selling it for a decent gaming laptop.)
The base game is actually not that great. Trust me, you want to get the Civ V complete edition. With a game like this, it is a lot to take in, but it's same with and without the expansions in terms of learning curve. The game just simply is greatly improved by all the add ons. Your experience will be much better. Civ 5 is the most basic out all of all of them. It will be the easiest to learn.

Edit - Also, in terms of add ons, you can fiddle with them when you start up the game. You can choose to turn on and off whichever ones you want at any time. One last thing, there are also great mods on the Steam workshop which you may enjoy. Mods always make everything better!

I actually suggest that if you do decide to get it and once you're comfortable with it, that you try Civ III and Civ IV complete editions. Each is Civ are both similar and different from each other. They bring new things and take away some things from the table. Basically the biggest change from the other Civs to Civ V is that they changed to hexagons for tiles and you can only have one unit per tile which really simplifies, yet makes it more interesting sometimes.

If you're wondering, I'm no Civ expert or anything, but I have logged over 100 hours of Civ V on steam and I'd be embarrassed if I had to see the amount of endless hours I spent playing Civ III and Civ IV.

Last edited by a moderator:
The base game is actually not that great. Trust me, you want to get the Civ V complete edition. With a game like this, it is a lot to take in, but it's same with and without the expansions in terms of learning curve. The game just simply is greatly improved by all the add ons. Your experience will be much better. Civ 5 is the most basic out all of all of them. It will be the easiest to learn.

Edit - Also, in terms of add ons, you can fiddle with them when you start up the game. You can choose to turn on and off whichever ones you want at any time. One last thing, there are also great mods on the Steam workshop which you may enjoy. Mods always make everything better!

I actually suggest that if you do decide to get it and once you're comfortable with it, that you try Civ III and Civ IV complete editions. Each is Civ are both similar and different from each other. They bring new things and take away some things from the table. Basically the biggest change from the other Civs to Civ V is that they changed to hexagons for tiles and you can only have one unit per tile which really simplifies, yet makes it more interesting sometimes.

If you're wondering, I'm no Civ expert or anything, but I have logged over 100 hours of Civ V on steam and I'd be embarrassed if I had to see the amount of endless hours I spent playing Civ III and Civ IV.
Base game is awesome and with expansion packs its better IMO

Buy the all-in-one package that gets you Civ 5 with everything (both expansions and all add-ons). Play it with both expansions installed from the very start, there is no alternative. The mechanics they add are critical, and you should not bother "learning" a game that doesn't have those mechanics.

I would not bother with Civ 3 or 4. IMO only sentimentalists rate either higher than Civ 5.

Civ 5 is a great game if you're the kind of gamer who can only put in a few hours here and there. It being turn-based gives you ample opportunities to save, and those saves give you unlimited opportunities to revisit mistakes and understand the mechanics of the game. As a single player, unmodded experience, it's overwhelming. Mods add even more playtime. You'll be playing it for a long, long time.

And if you have friends, you can try out multiplayer, though be warned that it's a very different game than 1P. But that adds even more of an experience, if you choose it.

bread's done
Back