Pokkén Tournament (Pokémon: Tekken-style) - Now in Japan

DNukem170

Banned
http://youtu.be/p7Cs4L1JALY

New Japanese arcade game developed by Namco. Uses the Tekken engine to put Pokémon in a fighting game. This video is literally all we know right now.

Will likely be on Wii U if it comes to America, which it probably will if they made an English trailer for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope! Wii U version will be November 2015.  I sure nintendo will release ton of characters like Disney Infinity.  Possible Winter 2016 will be Pokemon Tournament 2 with more Pokemon Toys and 2017 Pokemon Tournament 3.   2018 wii u Dead, lol

I was expecting the 4 armed one to pull a Goro MK1 move, pick up a pokemon with 2 hands and pound away with the other 2.

Ah man, I remember wanting something like this when I was little.  An actual fight between Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan  on my 3DS would be awesome.  Yeah, I don't know about the non-human like Pokemon.  *stares at that weird/slowly spinning Slowbro/Slowpoke video that's floating around.

Slowpoke Reggae owns your soul.

The majority of the roster will likely be humanoid, but since this IS Nintendo, expect a couple of the weirder Pokémon to make the roster.

Dogasu of Dogasu's Backpack has an article here about his first-hand experience with the game: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/pokken_tournament_first_impressions.html

A few things:

- No arcade stick. The controller shown in the stream is the one in the arcades.

- The game saves your progress using NFC cards, similar to the upcoming Animal Crossing cards and can easily be retooled to using amiibo.

- There are only 8 fighters: Lucario, Pikachu, Machamp, Charizard, Weavile, Gengar, Suicune, and Gardevoir.

- Suicune attacks pretty much solely from long range and has little melee attacks. Lucario is faster than Smash, while Charizard hits harder.

So now that this game has released, I figured I would bump this thread up to see if anyone else bought it/has started playing it.

So far, I'm liking it well enough. It definitely feels overpriced though- the battles are fresh for a while, but I've only paid for a few hours and it's already starting to feel stale to go into the training/CPU battle areas; the roster is pretty limited at the start, etc. If you have GCU I guess $48+ tax isn't too bad compared to $60+ tax, but....

I'm looking forward to playing more of it, but I can't help but compare it to a Pokemon/Smash mash-up, and just feel like I'd rather play Smash with more characters. I'm sure once I keep playing, it'll be less and less of that, though. At least I hope so.

I got it on release and have played a decent handful of hours this weekend and I really like it. I am a big fighting game guy and so I was worried this would be super dumbed down for kids but the mechanics are definitely there to have it play as a legit fighter. I am interested to see this play out at EVO. In regards to "value" for your money I feel like this argument comes up nearly every single time a new fighting game is launched. Fighting games do not have much variety. You fight, you fight and you fight some more. Either various modes with AI, locally or online and this game hits all of those marks so as far as a value I feel like this is a solid game.

I like it because it is simple enough that anyone can pick it up and have fun and yet they gave it enough depth mechanically that you can really get good at it and have some real competitive play.

I can't wait to play this game. Pokemon and Tekken are two of my favourite game series of all time. However, after reading some of the comments, I'm slightly disappointed in the lack of content, but hopefully there'll be reasonably priced DLC characters.

FYI, besides the demo in the in-store kiosks, the eShop also has the demo available for download as well.

I wish Nintendo would put more of their 1st party games available as demos, they already developed the coding for those kiosks, might as well put them on the eShop.

bread's done
Back