Atari Flashback 5, Colecovision Flashback and Intellivision Flashback for 2014

KillerRamen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
pTRU1-18559451_alternate1_dt.jpg

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35291066&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

ColecoVisionFlashback1.jpg

pTRU1-18559542_alternate1_enh-z6.jpg

New Flashback Consoles have started to show up in random stores. I saw the Atari Flashback 5 in a Toys R Us earlier this week. I didn't pick one up yet, but this guy found all three. 

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221409-atari-flashback-5-new-features-dream-list/?p=3059374

Their official release date is October 1 and they will probably all retail for $40. If previous Black Fridays are any indication, they'll probably all be on sale for $20 at various stores. They're neat little systems and well worth picking up if the games they have interest you. 

i want the collecovision and intellivisioin ones for sure.

im not sure about the 2600 one though. 

hopefully i can get a good deal on all 3 of them :D

My issue with the Flashbacks, with the exception of the Atari Flashback 2, is that there seems to be something missing, whether it be in the emulation of the feel of the controllers. That said, I'll probably pick these up.

For the price, you can't expect perfection. They're a good trade off to play the games again, especially since they include un-released games and other gems that are hard to find.

Just bought them both today! The Intellivision controllers are really good... the Colecovision ones are not so great. It also seems like the Intellivision selection of games and extras is near perfect... the Colecovision selection seems to be missing a few key games.

Colecovision is heavy on the 3rd party and un-released, which is okay, but where is Ladybug!? There are other Universal games, so I'm wondering why Ladybug isn't there... neither is Spy Hunter. I can understand Donkey Kong not being there (and Tarzan and a few others), but really Ladybug seems like a major oversight. And as I said, there seems to be a few more released games missing (although I didn't pull out my old catalogs to check specific titles).

My issue with the Flashbacks, with the exception of the Atari Flashback 2, is that there seems to be something missing, whether it be in the emulation of the feel of the controllers. That said, I'll probably pick these up.
IIRC, the Atari Flashback 2 was the only* one that was using the actual real deal hardware, as it it could be modded to add a cart slot and it would run actual VCS carts. All the others were emulated systems based on a NES on a chip design. I'm curious as to what these are under the hood. They've already made an Intellivision PnP based on the NES on a chip and it was pretty bad.

EDIT: digging around on AtariAge (haven't been there in years, heh) sort of answered my question. They're some kind of "custom" made chip that apparently isn't an NES on a chip. Also sounds like the INTV Flashback came out a bit better than the Colecovision and they're having the typical QC issues these Flashback systems always seem to have. So there you go.

* There was also a Commodore 64 PnP that was based on the real hardware, but I'm talking consoles only.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone cares, it seems Walgreens has these on sale 50% off. I picked up the INTV one at $25. Haven't had it on yet, but $25 is a risk I'm willing to take for this stuff.

If anyone cares at all, just picked up the Colecovison Flashback at Sam's for $9.80. Clearance and it was literally under the video game racks. As usual, YMMV.

bread's done
Back