- - - - -

Gamestop PS3 and 360 trade in for up to 150 off new PS4

#61 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Are you going to sell your PSN account along with the PS3 so they can benefit from those games?

#62 YBX87   CAGiversary! Banned   14405 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Are you going to sell your PSN account along with the PS3 so they can benefit from those games?

he is a troll( i mean UcanSUKtheFAC), ignore him

#63 The Laughing Mann  

The Laughing Mann

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

I spent $129 for a refurb'd Slim 120GB PS3 directly from Sony when my 2008 unit finally YLOD'd. I also stuck a spare 320GB laptop HDD I had laying around inside of it...much as I am tempted to get a PS4, only KH3 and FFXV are the titles I want for it. I'd rather keep my PS3 with all of the Plus content I can play with it and my slew of PS1 and PS3 titles rather than get rid of it. Someday...someday I will bite on a PS4, but not any day soon.

#64 Cannonmouth   The Verbal Assassin CAG in Training   37 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Cannonmouth

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thing is, you can always re-download any content you bought on the PS3 right back onto the PS4. You can use PS+ to backup any saves and whatnot. I'd say, with my exceptionally limited library of games that are just collecting dust, that the 150 is entirely worth it.

#65 Royal High Knight   CAG's #1 Knucklehead CAGiversary!   5432 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Royal High Knight

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

I want to make sure none of my information nor games are on my ps3 when I go to trade it in so what do you guys/girls recommend doing? Should I delete everything one by one or should I reformat it?

#66 C-Zero   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1082 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

The current generation of PS3s have been tweaked quite a bit while the current (and only generation) of the PS4 hasn't had the same level of hardware optimization yet. If you want to trade in a design that has had years of real world usage vs a new console which is still in it's first main revision , try your luck.

#67 ritchardf  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

Thing is, you can always re-download any content you bought on the PS3 right back onto the PS4. You can use PS+ to backup any saves and whatnot. I'd say, with my exceptionally limited library of games that are just collecting dust, that the 150 is entirely worth it.

what exactly from the ps3 can you download on the ps4?

#68 C-Zero   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1082 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

I want to make sure none of my information nor games are on my ps3 when I go to trade it in so what do you guys/girls recommend doing? Should I delete everything one by one or should I reformat it?

Can't you connect the HDD to a computer first by using a USB external enclosure and then writing all zeroes to the drive?

#69 C-Zero   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1082 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

what exactly from the ps3 can you download on the ps4?

You can download PS3 stuff on the PS4 but you can't actually use it.

#70 ritchardf  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

You can download PS3 stuff on the PS4 but you can't actually use it.

hmm, didnt know that, seems weird and pointless

#71 C-Zero   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1082 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:12 PM

hmm, didnt know that, seems weird and pointless

You can download Vita games on your PS3 but you would have the same problem as well.

Edit: Honestly , I wouldn't want to trade in my PS3 for a PS4 especially if I'm only getting $150 for it.

If you are desperate for $150 and you are a CAG , you can just flip games to get that much.

Why trade in one of the most awesome consoles of all time just to get $150?

#72 ritchardf  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

You can download Vita games on your PS3 but you would have the same problem as well.

Edit: Honestly , I wouldn't want to trade in my PS3 for a PS4 especially if I'm only getting $150 for it.

If you are desperate for $150 and you are a CAG , you can just flip games and get that much.

yeah, blockbusters sales last year paid for my ps4.

#73 eliter1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2957 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

If you are desperate for $150 and you are a CAG , you can just flip games to get that much.

Most CAGs don't pay full price for their consoles so getting $150 for it will probably be a good deal and even tho I flip games from time to time it can be a hassle and/or time consuming at times. I work a lot, go to the gym and study for licensing exams after that so I don't have as much time to flip as before so even though this isn't the most you can get for a console I'd take it, especially if I rarely use them anymore.  

#74 FierceDeityLink1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   129 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

FierceDeityLink1

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Has anyone traded in an original 360 with a 250gb+ hdd? If I do end up doing this trade in, I'd like to get a larger hard drive for my 360 to get the $150 trade in value.

You only get $75 for the original, fat 360 so it's really not worth it. They trade in the HDD separately.

#75 Cannonmouth   The Verbal Assassin CAG in Training   37 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Cannonmouth

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Maybe my understanding is wrong, but can't you play digital PS3 games on the PS4? I mean, I know it isn't backwards compatible, but I figured with Playstation Now being able to rent and play PS3 games on the PS4, that your digital content would work all the same.

#76 C-Zero   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1082 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

Maybe my understanding is wrong, but can't you play digital PS3 games on the PS4? I mean, I know it isn't backwards compatible, but I figured with Playstation Now being able to rent and play PS3 games on the PS4, that your digital content would work all the same.

I don't think you are allowed to use your existing content.

I think you would have to rent it digitally instead.

http://www.sfgate.co...ion-5124774.php

"PS Now will deliver a variety of popular PlayStation®3 (PS3™) game titles*1 first on PlayStation®4 (PS4™) and PS3 systems, followed by the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) system."

Before you get overly excited, here's what you need to know about the PS Now service.

Will I be able to play all of the games I own for the PlayStation, PS2, AND PS3 on the PlayStation 4?

Nope.

Though the titles may be available to stream on the PS4, if you already own any of the games, Sony won't have a way to recognize your previous purchases.

From Forbes

“According to Sony, gamers who own disc or digital-based games will not have access to those games via PS Now free of charge.”

That's probably not going to sit well with gamers. Why would anyone want to repurchase titles they've spent hundreds of dollars on already? This probably won't be as much of an issue with PS3 titles since most can be upgraded to PS4 games for an additional fee.

#77 Cannonmouth   The Verbal Assassin CAG in Training   37 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Cannonmouth

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Well damn. Ehh, regardless, it's still gonna be saved to my PSN account. I can pick up a cheap PS3 later down the line and just re-download it. Like I said earlier on, it's just collecting dust as is. I plan on getting the Destiny bundle, and from what I've read, "Most players will never beat it". I accept that challenge. Lol.

#78 MillerTime2523   FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND CAGiversary!   8552 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

MillerTime2523

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

I think I'm going to try to cash in on this. If I can get an employee to let me buy a handful of amazon gift cards with the $5 off coupons, I could basically turn a 360 into $200 Amazon, which is exactly what I paid for it a year ago. Can't beat that. Anything I've been playing recently has been digitally anyway, so I'll probably just move over to my fat 360 with a busted disc drive. Only thing that sucks is that it's not wireless, but for $200 I'll just use the ethernet cable when I need to. Hope this goes according to plan, but we'll see.

#79 SchmidtA99   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   510 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

I have a 4gb console with a 320gb hard drive in it. Will this count as a 320gb version or will it count it as 4gb version? (I'm trading the 320gb drive with it.

#80 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! Banned   1790 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

You're committing a serious criminal offense.

call the police, sounds like a case for Chief Wiggum

#81 OGHowie   Old Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   2004 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hmmm, my 360 slim only has 120GB.

#82 RiceQuakes Classic   The One, the Only.....RiceQuakes CAGiversary!   3797 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

RiceQuakes Classic

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Gah! If this only happened next year! I think I'd be done with my 360 and PS3 by then. I just have so many unplayed games! One Piece Pirate Warriors, Ninokuni, Skyrim (yes, yes, I know), Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, Puppeteer, Earth Defense Force, etc, etc. I don't think I have to worry about PS Plus giving us anymore good PS3 games. LOL

#83 boogie4114   Enthusiastic Gamer!! CAGiversary!   2491 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:56 AM

I don't know that gears console is a pretty ass console. I think one of if not the best.

I know I ain't trading in my Halo 4 console anytime soon. I feel it's worth more then $150.

#84 JUSTSULTAN   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   725 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

JUSTSULTAN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:07 AM

Sorry if it's been asked but do I have to purchase a ps4 once I trade my "3" in or can the credit reserve a ps4 until I pay it off? TIA

edit: nvm... I'll just get playstation tv instead of another ps4.

#85 Snirandone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   56 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Snirandone

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

Great deal but I have more than $150 worth of unplayed games on both my systems.  It kills me some days to not go next gen yet but I just need to wait.

I feel you man.I'm in the same boat. I have enough games to last me 1 or 2 years. But I also have 3 ps3's and  I need to get rid of at least one of them (don't ask my why I have 3, it's a long story). I'm just wondering how many times a deal like this will come around again. Even if I trade it in, I will still have to drop another $250+ to get the PS4. Oh decisions, decisions

#86 DT778   number 1 on the westside CAGiversary!   10548 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

You only get $75 for the original, fat 360 so it's really not worth it. They trade in the HDD separately.

Thanks and you're right, not worth it.

#87 Mugatu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   969 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

It’s a fraudulent question.

Maybe if you don't know what fraudulent is. And what's with all the crap/troll posts in here? If you don't want to sell your PS3 then fine - I paid $200 for mine years ago and now it just sits there, if I can get $150 of that back that's great for me, it that doesn't appeal to you then why are you even in this thread?

#88 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7937 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

It's not unheard of for hardcore gamers to end up with multiple consoles of the same type. I originally bought a 120 gb slim for my digital content. Then I bought an 80 gb original model from GS so I could play my PS2 games in high def. Not trading in either at the moment since the only PS4 game I'd want to play right now is Pinball Arcade which I only have on PS3, Vita and Android. But it might be a good deal for a more casual gamer who is ready to move on to the next gen. For the record, I also own six Dreamcasts, one of which is a broken kiosk model that I kept for sentimental reasons.

But before you guys get rid of your PS3s, I just want to remind you that Persona 5 is only coming to PS3, which is the best reason to have one ready.

#89 Cannonmouth   The Verbal Assassin CAG in Training   37 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Cannonmouth

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

^^This guy clearly likes long stories. Lol.

#90 Mugatu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   969 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

It's not unheard of for hardcore gamers to end up with multiple consoles of the same type. I originally bought a 120 gb slim for my digital content. Then I bought an 80 gb original model from GS so I could play my PS2 games in high def. Not trading in either at the moment since the only PS4 game I'd want to play right now is Pinball Arcade which I only have on PS3, Vita and Android. But it might be a good deal for a more casual gamer who is ready to move on to the next gen. For the record, I also own six Dreamcasts, one of which is a broken kiosk model that I kept for sentimental reasons.

But before you guys get rid of your PS3s, I just want to remind you that Persona 5 is only coming to PS3, which is the best reason to have one ready.

That's fair enough - I was talking about the people coming in here and implying that anyone considering this is dumb or that they shouldn't buy a PS4 if they can't afford it and crap like that. :)