Ron Paul bribery scandal in the news again

Msut77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/08/29/mitch_mcconnell_s_campaign_manager_resigns_after_being_ensnared_in_iowa.html

More than a year ago, Fusaro -- a veteran of the first and less successful Ron Paul GOP presidential bid -- started taping phone calls between himself and veterans of Paul's 2012 campaign.  by saavinshop">RIGHTbefore the 2012 Iowa caucuses, Iowa State Sen. Kent Sorenson had bolted from Michelle Bachmann's campaign to join Paul. Bachmann claimed that Sorenson was bribed. He denied it.
Fusaro kept on the story. He made calls, and released the tapes to the Economic Policy Journal and the Iowa Republican. He got Sorenson referring to a check,  by saavinshop">CONFIRMING a possible bribe from Demitri Kesari, then working for the Paul campaign.
Guilty plea:

http://buzzpo.com/former-iowa-senator-pleads-guilty-accepting-bribe-ron-paul-campaign-dump-michele-bachmann/

I am guessing people will claim Ron Paul didnt know just like how he didnt know about all the racist screeds going out on the news letter with his name on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remind me who the fuck I'm suppose to back for president in either party.  I think the vast majority of them are scum, either heavy Crony shills or people who don't give a ratfuck about the rights endowed to us in the Constitution.  There are other things I could find to complain about regarding each candidate as well.

So I'm suppose to just hold my nose and swallow the swill that either dishes out?

I'll just vote third party when push comes to shove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read through the article quickly, but I'm not seeing why this is a big deal. One guy was on one campaign, he got paid a bunch of money to go work on another one?  I liked Ron Paul more than about 90% of the other politicians out there, appreciated how he would go against the party if he didn't believe in the stance, so I'm certainly biased...but...so what?

Msut77, let me make this clear.  In most circumstances, I would rather kill myself before voting for a Democrat or Republican given the aforementioned proclivities of each I outlined.  Maybe it's about time you fucking wake up to the fact you won't get what you want from either unless you force runoff voting into the polls and vote 3rd party as well.

Read through the article quickly, but I'm not seeing why this is a big deal. One guy was on one campaign, he got paid a bunch of money to go work on another one? I liked Ron Paul more than about 90% of the other politicians out there, appreciated how he would go against the party if he didn't believe in the stance, so I'm certainly biased...but...so what?
I agree with you 100%.

The scandal is that Paul staffers paid off a state senator for an endorsement trying to hide it through various means.

The scandal is that Paul staffers paid off a state senator for an endorsement trying to hide it through various means.
And is that illegal, or a rare thing to do? Again, I'm not being argumentative or intentionally dense on this, I'm just trying to figure out if that's how everyone plays the game, or if this was some illegal or unethical activity on the political integrity scale.

And is that illegal, or a rare thing to do? Again, I'm not being argumentative or intentionally dense on this, I'm just trying to figure out if that's how everyone plays the game, or if this was some illegal or unethical activity on the political integrity scale.
It depends on how the funds were disbursed and categorized by the Paul campaign. The guy plead guilty anyways, so that opens the door for prosecuting the campaign manager I'd think(IANAL). Either way, that move was dumb as shit when there are other ways to give someone money that endorses your campaign, but hey, Paul has always been a little amateur hour with this stuff and it's no surprise that the right hands weren't greased. It also wouldn't surprise me if the guy senator doesn't name names because that would fuck up any political appointments he's used up for his homies.

It depends on how the funds were disbursed and categorized by the Paul campaign. The guy plead guilty anyways, so that opens the door for prosecuting the campaign manager I'd think(IANAL). Either way, that move was dumb as shit when there are other ways to give someone money that endorses your campaign, but hey, Paul has always been a little amateur hour with this stuff and it's no surprise that the right hands weren't greased. It also wouldn't surprise me if the guy senator doesn't name names because that would fuck up any political appointments he's used up for his homies.
Translation: Everyone does it and Paul's campaign was sloppy and therefore he's guilty... but everyone else, who cares?

A)And is that illegal, or a rare thing to do? B) Again, I'm not being argumentative or intentionally dense on this, C) I'm just trying to figure out if that's how everyone plays the game, or if this was some illegal or unethical activity on the political integrity scale.
A) Yes.

B) No.

C) See A and B.

I don't know man, maybe it's because I've got an affinity for Ron Paul, but in the grand scheme of things from within politics, I'm having a hard time caring that someone got bought off...err...allegedly for an endorsement.  When I assess my biases, I try to think of what my reaction would be if it was done by repulsive people like Pelosi or Hillary Clinton, and I don't think I'd care. If scumbags like Bachmann or Santorum did it, I'd also have a hard time caring.

To be honest, anybody who looks to public figure endorsements as the deciding factor on who to vote for would be forbidden to vote, if I got to run the dictatorship I've been pushing for.

Maybe Paul didn't know, maybe he did. Either way looks bad for his leadership skills. Does the political game make everyone sleazy? Bob McDonnell will have a while to contemplate that idea. Actually his appeals might save his ass if he finds the right judge or jury.

And if I was dictator, only tax paying citizens who could prove that they were informed on issues could vote. The ACLU would love me....

bread's done
Back