Astro A50 Wireless or A40 w/ Mixamp Pro 2013 Ed. Refurbished 1 year warranty $159.99 or $143.99

sillylilwabbit

CAGiversary!
Black or White Version A40 w/ Mixamp pro 2013 Edition Refurbished and 1 year warranty $143.99 shipped

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151291686680

Astro A50 Wireless refurbished and 1 year warranty $159.99 shipped

http://m.ebay.com/itm?customid=dc735dc36f194dfea1823c3bdf292941&pub=5574652453&afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&itemId=161085865306&afepn=5335869999

Basically everything has an additional 20% off from Astro Gaming via eBay, including new Astro A40 and A50 Wireless.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/astrogaming/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Discount shows in your cart on desktop mode (not mobile).

Sales tax in Washington and California. I don't know what other states charge sale tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad deal with the 20% off since there are rarely any discounts on Astro products. A little tempted to get another headset (neon orange) for $120, but it's also $120 :/

Thanks op. In for the A40 with mix amp. I have the logitech wireless 7.1 but i cannot use them with ps4 so the A50 will be a nice replacement. 

Does anyone know if they restock often? Ive been looking for these exact headset and never knew they had an ebay store. Would love to catch this deal again.

Does anyone know if they restock often? Ive been looking for these exact headset and never knew they had an ebay store. Would love to catch this deal again.
The 20% off was a smoking deal. Lowest they've ever been. Amazon is the only place other than Astro's eBay store that sells refurbs. Amazon and Astro's eBay store list at same price ($199 for A50's and $180 for A40's).

You MAY be able to get a PM at Best Buy. Manager will have to approve, but some will since the Astro's are (unless they've updated stock info) considered 360 and PS3 accessories. Last gen accessories have been selling so badly that you've got a chance.

i was seriously thinking of getting some 40's but i heard the mics on these things SUCK. Like REALLY suck. Mcdonalds loudspeaker bad almost. Not clear if its a mix amp issue or what, but ive seen enough reviews mentioning it to make me very leery. Anyone know if this was a software issue that was fixed, or if the mics are just garbage on these?

i was seriously thinking of getting some 40's but i heard the mics on these things SUCK. Like REALLY suck. Mcdonalds loudspeaker bad almost. Not clear if its a mix amp issue or what, but ive seen enough reviews mentioning it to make me very leery. Anyone know if this was a software issue that was fixed, or if the mics are just garbage on these?
The mics are really bad. Its usually the first thing to break on them. Most people i know who use them use a 10$ zalman array mic instead of the headset mic just because of how bad it is.

No, it's not a software issue. Yes, the Astro A40 mic is terrible.

FWIW I bought the A50s refurbished from Amazon a few months back when they had the $20 off $199 Astro promo going. The headset has been great so far. I couldn't tell that it wasn't brand new with the exception of the refurbished sticker on the box.

I have the TurtleBeach X41 which is OK, but I can't say I'm that impressed with the audio quality (not an audiophile so I don't know how to describe it technically, but it just lacks "umph").  Any thoughts on whether there'd be a substantial improvement in audio quality if I picked up the A50?  Based on the reviews I've read, I'm getting the answer is "no" but just wanted to see if anyone here had personal experience - thanks!

The mics are really bad. Its usually the first thing to break on them. Most people i know who use them use a 10$ zalman array mic instead of the headset mic just because of how bad it is.
Do they plug the zalman mic into the mixamp along with the headset?

I have the TurtleBeach X41 which is OK, but I can't say I'm that impressed with the audio quality (not an audiophile so I don't know how to describe it technically, but it just lacks "umph"). Any thoughts on whether there'd be a substantial improvement in audio quality if I picked up the A50? Based on the reviews I've read, I'm getting the answer is "no" but just wanted to see if anyone here had personal experience - thanks!
The difference in stereo quality wouldn't justify the upgrade expense. Astro's Dolby implementation is the best in the business. It would be a big step up over the surround on the X41's, but that only really matters if you use a low bass EQ mode and rely on sound cues (footsteps, etc.) in multiplayer games.

Even if you use positional cues and would benefit from Astro's better 7.1 simulation, I'd hold off if you're mostly satisfied with the 41's at the moment. Turtle Beach is releasing a new lineup of headsets with DTS Headphone:X surround in the fall. They'll use decoded and remixed Dolby feeds from the consoles. Headphone:X is very impressive tech that can simulate sound on multiple planes. Press demos of Headphone:X have wowed pretty much everyone, but they had X encoded at the source going to X headphones, not Dolby to X. TB's new lineup could be crap, could be the next big thing and blow Astro out of the water. Will all hinge on how important an X source (vs Dolby remix) is to the experience.

I have the TurtleBeach X41 which is OK, but I can't say I'm that impressed with the audio quality (not an audiophile so I don't know how to describe it technically, but it just lacks "umph"). Any thoughts on whether there'd be a substantial improvement in audio quality if I picked up the A50? Based on the reviews I've read, I'm getting the answer is "no" but just wanted to see if anyone here had personal experience - thanks!
Most closed headsets will have a distorted sound due to reverberation, echo, bounce etc. It's just part of the design.

Yes some are better than others but if you're looking to be wowed then open cup design will do that much better. Although this also means that they no longer are isolation headphones.

Give an take I guess.

Remember though that even the best TVs look only mediocre out of the box. The only way to make a TV wow is to have it properly calibrated. Same goes to headphones but to a lesser extent

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with the mic and friends have said I sound great on their end. Is it possible that the mic was improved on refreshed models? I have the 2013 A40 bundle that came with the new 2013 mixamp. I dunno...the A40 bundle is the best gaming headset experience I've ever had up to this point.

The difference in stereo quality wouldn't justify the upgrade expense. Astro's Dolby implementation is the best in the business. It would be a big step up over the surround on the X41's, but that only really matters if you use a low bass EQ mode and rely on sound cues (footsteps, etc.) in multiplayer games.

Even if you use positional cues and would benefit from Astro's better 7.1 simulation, I'd hold off if you're mostly satisfied with the 41's at the moment. Turtle Beach is releasing a new lineup of headsets with DTS Headphone:X surround in the fall. They'll use decoded and remixed Dolby feeds from the consoles. Headphone:X is very impressive tech that can simulate sound on multiple planes. Press demos of Headphone:X have wowed pretty much everyone, but they had X encoded at the source going to X headphones, not Dolby to X. TB's new lineup could be crap, could be the next big thing and blow Astro out of the water. Will all hinge on how important an X source (vs Dolby remix) is to the experience.

Most closed headsets will have a distorted sound due to reverberation, echo, bounce etc. It's just part of the design.

Yes some are better than others but if you're looking to be wowed then open cup design will do that much better. Although this also means that they no longer are isolation headphones.

Give an take I guess.

Remember though that even the best TVs look only mediocre out of the box. The only way to make a TV wow is to have it properly calibrated. Same goes to headphones but to a lesser extent
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll hold off on this for now.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with the mic and friends have said I sound great on their end. Is it possible that the mic was improved on refreshed models? I have the 2013 A40 bundle that came with the new 2013 mixamp. I dunno...the A40 bundle is the best gaming headset experience I've ever had up to this point.
Even most pros that are even sponsored by Astro use a different mic. I always find it funny as once in a while their other mic will break and they will use the Astro mic and apologize right at the beginning.

We'll just say the mic is adequate. For in game play its fine. For anything else it sucks.

No, it's not a software issue. Yes, the Astro A40 mic is terrible.
very lame... I just cant see myself shelling out $250 (well this is a deal, but thats the normal price) for a headset with such a crap mic. Why do people love these so much if the mics are so terrible? Damn. Well, can anyone recomend a really good quality headset i can use with my ps4 and also with my PC and ps3/360?

actually i think most of the problems ive heard have been about the 2013 refresh. Its strange you mention yours sounds good. Because i hear nothing but bad things. I heard a sample of audio of someone using it on a roundup vs other headsets and it was probably the worst sounding one. Even worse than the <100 dollar model o_O

bread's done
Back