Captain America: The Winter Soldier Steelbook $24.99 @ Best Buy

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I know some others here have had their eye on this one. Winter Soldier Steelbook (Best Buy Exclusive) is now $24.99 ($5.00 off) and available for pre-order for in-store pick up. These things sell fast and if you tried to get a copy of the Thor: The Dark World one you know how difficult they can be to find release day.

BestBuy.com was giving me a lot of trouble today (cart wouldn't load). If you have the same issue try checking out at m.bestbuy.com instead.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=3261951&type=product&skuId=7750005&st=winter+soldier+steelbook&cp=1&lp=1

Also of note:

It's worth noting that next week, Best Buy has a promo where if you buy Captain America: TWS + a $14.99+ TV show, you get $10 off Captain America: TWS.

This will probably be stackable with the 'buy 3 TV seasons, get 25% off' promo, which is continuing next week.
Don't forget Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 comes out Tuesday as well (Target has it for $39.99 on Blu, Best Buy appears to have it for $44.99 barring any sales release week). May be possible to pre-order the Steelbook to reserve your copy, cancel in store pick up once in the store and then get it with Agents, with price match to Target for a grand total of about $55. At current Best Buy prices it would be ~$60). YMMV on a couple of factors of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's worth noting that next week, Best Buy has a promo where if you buy Captain America: TWS + a $14.99+ TV show, you get $10 off Captain America: TWS.

This will probably be stackable with the 'buy 3 TV seasons, get 25% off' promo, which is continuing next week.

Wonder if that will work with Agents of Shield. Be especially nice if it'll work if you price match Shield to Target's $39.99 price.

Still worth putting in the in-store pick up for the Steelbook and then when you get there just tell them you need to cancel the store pick up and purchase in store. Don't pick up then try to return/rebuy because you'd have to wait 24 hours.

My personal plan is CA:TWS + Hannibal S2, Agents of SHIELD, and Homeland S3.  All 3 shows release next week, so they'll be at their likely lowest price for a while.

That most shows are cheap their week of release makes this 'buy 3 get 25% off' promo useless for most of my purchases.  I would have bought way more shows if I knew in advance what the price on each show would be on their week of release, and was assured that I'd get the 25% off that low price.  The Walking Dead S4 blu-ray was $30 on week of release, and is now $45.  I would have loved to pick that up.

Wonder if that will work with Agents of Shield. Be especially nice if it'll work if you price match Shield to Target's $39.99 price.

Still worth putting in the in-store pick up for the Steelbook and then when you get there just tell them you need to cancel the store pick up and purchase in store. Don't pick up then try to return/rebuy because you'd have to wait 24 hours.
Stacking it with shield is a great idea. I have a 5$ rz coupon to use and a movers coupon, I can save on both ! Does the 5$ come off first or the movers coupon, I forgot ? With this combo I'll be getting captain America for free basically as its going to be 20$ on release week and shield msrp is 44.99 !!

See I was just told the opposite thing at my local store. I was told there was no way to cancel a in-store pick up .com order after the item gets pulled at the store level. And if you cancel before the item gets pulled via the website the item is never reserved for you which makes sense. I was told a return and rebuy at the customer service counter is the best bet.

See I was just told the opposite thing at my local store. I was told there was no way to cancel a in-store pick up .com order after the item gets pulled at the store level. And if you cancel before the item gets pulled via the website the item is never reserved for you which makes sense. I was told a return and rebuy at the customer service counter is the best bet.
They were wrong. They can cancel the order right there on the spot and you will even receive and email immediately that the order was cancelled. I've done it in the past. They would still need you to provide your ID so that they can verify it is your purchase but other than that nothing prevents them from doing it. I've done it at least twice in the last two months.

To do the return rebuy with store pick up you'd have to: buy it the first time (pick up). Then come back AT LEAST 24 hours later to return the item. Then rebuy the item with the other items to qualify for the discount.

There are two unknowns for this deal ultimately. Will The Steelbook be $24.99 release week or is this a pre-release sale to ensure pre-orders? Will the save $10 on Winter Soldier with the $14.99 and up TV show offer works if you price match Agents to Target. It is still over $14.99 so hopefully but hard to know with Best Buy.

They were wrong. They can cancel the order right there on the spot and you will even receive and email immediately that the order was cancelled. I've done it in the past. They would still need you to provide your ID so that they can verify it is your purchase but other than that nothing prevents them from doing it. I've done it at least twice in the last two months.

To do the return rebuy with store pick up you'd have to: buy it the first time (pick up). Then come back AT LEAST 24 hours later to return the item. Then rebuy the item with the other items to qualify for the discount.

There are two unknowns for this deal ultimately. Will The Steelbook be $24.99 release week or is this a pre-release sale to ensure pre-orders? Will the save $10 on Winter Soldier with the $14.99 and up TV show offer works if you price match Agents to Target. It is still over $14.99 so hopefully but hard to know with Best Buy.
Keep in mind that price matching negates the movers coupon

I've never experienced it for Best Buy... if I preordered it the other day when it was still $29.99, are they going to auto-adjust my price at some point or would I be better off canceling it and reordering?

Edit: FAQs seem to indicate they will adjust it automatically. Hurray.

The 'buy a $14.99+ TV show, take $10 off a 3D Blu" deal was nice when I took advantage of it for The Amazing Spider-man 2 a couple of weeks ago, but I'm really surprised they're doing it again for CA: TWS since it's a Disney film!  

This is probably where I will be getting TWS next week, then, assuming I can find a TV show I want for $14.99 that isn't overpriced!

Interesting..... but I don't suppose that $14.99 TV show would include something like the Seinfeld complete series would it? And even if it does I'm sure they wouldn't let me do that + PM Seinfeld on Amazon.

Oh well, it's just as well anyways.... the packaging on that set is unforgivable, it's be a miracle if even half the discs came out functional

Interesting..... but I don't suppose that $14.99 TV show would include something like the Seinfeld complete series would it? And even if it does I'm sure they wouldn't let me do that + PM Seinfeld on Amazon.

Oh well, it's just as well anyways.... the packaging on that set is unforgivable, it's be a miracle if even half the discs came out functional
The "buy any $14.99+ TV show series set, save $10 on CA: TWS", is for any TV season set, unless the promotion is for specific ones. The "buy 2 TV seasons, save 15% on each, buy 3 TV seasons, save 25% on each" is from a specific set of items that are listed on the promotional page:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/fall-tv-show-offer-125940

The two promotions stack together, as that's what I did with Amazing Spider Man 2 when it released with three TV seasons.

EDIT: I called Best Buy to get my $5 + tax back for the purchase, though when I go to pick it up, I probably will do the cancel and then buy it in-store to get the discounts with TV seasons. I didn't want to cancel it because I don't want to lose my place in queue for in-store pickup order processing at my local store.

Will this work with walking dead season 1 & 2 Blu-ray movies

My copy just shipped from Best Buy on Thursday. I preordered when it was priced at $29.99 but it was automatically adjusted to $24.99 when it shipped.

x Post with the Target thread of CA:WS but still - here is my experience with trying online ordering:

I just tried to order it on the website and it came up as "null" and wouldnt show 1/2 the time and wouldnt add to the cart.  Then I ordered for in-store pickup on the mobile app, and that worked. This was at BB, by the way.

Just tired to do in-store pickup in my area and 3 out of the 10 of closest stores are listing as unavailable.
Just checked all of the stores within about 100 miles of me and all but one of them are showing up as available, so I guess they are doing some type of limited amount of preordering. Unless they know how many items they have to work with and it's deducting from that allocation, it's going to be a guess on it being "out of stock" when it comes to preordering.

Anyone worried that Best Buy will allow the steelbooks to be sold Monday night during the Destiny midnight release?
Hah, I was hoping they'd sell me a steelbook during the midnight release. Back during the PS4/X1 midnight releases, they had no problem selling me stuff that had a streetdate of the next day. IIRC, I picked up the Zelda 3DS game and Mario 3D World during one of them. It was super convenient.

Anyone worried that Best Buy will allow the steelbooks to be sold Monday night during the Destiny midnight release?
If mine isn't there when I go to pick it up on Tuesday, I'll be raising no small amount of hell with them. In fact, if I don't have a store pickup ready notification by the time the store opens, I'm calling to check on it.

Yep I have two copies of NHL 15, Destiny, and a steelbook copy of Cap 2 all pre-ordered at the same Best Buy. I plan on being there at 10:00am to try and grab another copy of Cap 2 off the shelf to purchase with M:AOS season one just in case I cant cancel or return/rebuy the one I pre-ordered to get the extra $10 off.

x Post with the Target thread of CA:WS but still - here is my experience with trying online ordering:

I just tried to order it on the website and it came up as "null" and wouldnt show 1/2 the time and wouldnt add to the cart. Then I ordered for in-store pickup on the mobile app, and that worked. This was at BB, by the way.
Same here. I couldn't order it online but was able to do it via the mobile app

This is odd. I got a call earlier today from my local Best Buy, where I've got a pre-order for Cap 2. They were calling to inform me that I could pick it up at midnight if I was going to come by and get Destiny at midnight. I asked if they'd have other stuff available, as I'd want to pick up some TV shows with Cap 2. They said they'd be happy to sell us whatever.

I did instore pickup for the Thor 2 Steelbook last time and they cancelled it after the store opened. Ended up pre-ordering this one for shipping when it was $29.99 and they just automatically adjusted the price.

I did instore pickup for the Thor 2 Steelbook last time and they cancelled it after the store opened. Ended up pre-ordering this one for shipping when it was $29.99 and they just automatically adjusted the price.
This. So much this. The fucking scalpers, man. I was there at the store at open; no in-store pickup. I go to the display to get the Thor 2 steelbook, and some guy is stacking them all up on top of one another. I go to grab one, and the guy looks at me and asks "what the fuck are you doing?". I told him I was trying to get a copy of the steelbook. He had the nerve to tell me "no, I have these pre-ordered, man. you gotta get yours elsewhere". Before I could argue further, he took the stack and walked toward the registers, giving me the stink eye in retreat.

I go to complain to the manager, but the guy already left by the time our talk finished. I asked him if he had any more, but all their stock went out to the floor (it was six or seven the guy grabbed). What did they do to offset this? "We have the standard 3D cut available for the same price. Perhaps I could interest you in this," the manager said. I was calm when I replied, "I came here for the Steelbook. I would buy the regular 3D movie if I wanted it and did not care for the Steelbook." The manager then replies with "I can check to see if we have any at our nearby stores." "Will you have one delivered here so I can pick it up," I replied with hope. "Unfortunately, we do not have the means to have stock shipped between stores. You are free to go to the next nearest one that may have it." So, I entertain the idea for the hell of it. They check, and every...fucking...store within 25 miles of me somehow sold out of their whole effing stock within a half hour after opening. "I am sorry, sir. You can try us later. We should hope to get some more in." At this point...I wanted to blow my top. So I calmly asked, "Is there anything you can do for me now that will make me want the regular 3D cut of a movie I wanted to get the Steelbook for?" The manager then went to the registers. In the course of nearly an hour, I ended up with the regular 3D cut of the movie for $15 brand new.

Long story short, some people out to make a quick buck will take away from others.

I
I'll have to find a TV series worth getting for the combo deal. It worked nice when i got Spidey 2 and Season 1 of Arrow for $25 after a $5 cert.
Im almost guaranteed a steelbook for Capt...since im putting out all the new releases in my store that morning...

I just tried to order it on the website and it came up as "null" and wouldnt show 1/2 the time and wouldnt add to the cart. Then I ordered for in-store pickup on the mobile app, and that worked. This was at BB, by the way.
thanks again for posting this, I was able to get an order in for store pickup this way. I have a copy coming shipped as well so hopefully both dont have damage, but we'll see..

My plan was simple grab an ad on Tuesday from Target go to Best Buy when it opens grab a steelbook and have customer service price match it but this site made me so scared that I pre-ordered it just to make sure

Ftom my experience with Thor, preordering this online and not not bothering with instore pickup. The scalpers will be all over this again. Last time was sick.

It's sad how someone could be selfish to the point that he couldn't even give you one of the books, you acually wanted one to collect, not flip smh
No kidding. I look on eBay and people are still trying to hock off new SBs of Thor 2 for as little as $40. From my experiences with Marvel SB's, they are only treated as rarities when the people who truly want them lose out on getting them cause a select few work to make them rarities.

I have a feeling with people trying to grab all these off the shelves at 10:00 am plus other people trying to get in on the $10 with a TV season purchase deal after placing in-store pick ups my Best Buy is going to be a mad house on Tuesday. Also I am sure there will be a few people PMing the Target prices. Plus that not counting the people who will be there for Destiny and NHL 15.

EDIT: Nevermind I doubt there will be any left at 10:00 am since my store is doing a midnight Destiny launch. I just hope they pull all the pre-orders for the Cap 2 steelbook before than and not put them out on the shelves like they did for the Thor 2 SB.

I have a feeling with people trying to grab all these off the shelves at 10:00 am plus other people trying to get in on the $10 with a TV season purchase deal after placing in-store pick ups my Best Buy is going to be a mad house on Tuesday. Also I am sure there will be a few people PMing the Target prices. Plus that not counting the people who will be there for Destiny and NHL 15.
Much as I like the Steelbook, I would rather get the regular 3D cut for $20 if I can help it...still debating between with either 100 RZ points or the choice of 3D for the $20 price...

From when the eventual guardians of the galaxy steelbook release and onward they should limit them to one per customer. It sucks that my fellow cag's miss out on these due to people trying to make a extra 20$ or so on a stupid steelbook smh. Can't wait to st through agents of shield for the first time when I get it with captain America btw !! Anyone here sit through Season one ? How was it in your opinion ?

From when the eventual guardians of the galaxy steelbook release and onward they should limit them to one per customer. It sucks that my fellow cag's miss out on these due to people trying to make a extra 20$ or so on a stupid steelbook smh. Can't wait to st through agents of shield for the first time when I get it with captain America btw !! Anyone here sit through Season one ? How was it in your opinion ?
It started slow but after the events of Cap2 it gets a lot better since they tie the show in to the Cap2 aftermath.

have patience with AoS. I almost gave up on it 5-6 episodes in. Felt too cheesy, acting was sub-par, script and special effects were laughable at times. Then somewhere around episode 10, it turned a massive corner and the second half of the season was absolutely fantastic. Patience pays off with this series.

have patience with AoS. I almost gave up on it 5-6 episodes in. Felt too cheesy, acting was sub-par, script and special effects were laughable at times. Then somewhere around episode 10, it turned a massive corner and the second half of the season was absolutely fantastic. Patience pays off with this series.
Even though I enjoyed the early episodes, comparatively speaking, once you get through the first third of the season, I agree, it got really good.

Even though I enjoyed the early episodes, comparatively speaking, once you get through the first third of the season, I agree, it got really good.
Joss wheldon (director of the avengers for those who don't know) spoke to the show creators and mentioned how winter soilder would effect the shows storyline. Maybe that lead to the big turn around perhaps

I don't think Avengers got a SB, did they? But if they do a GotG SB, I will definitely pre-order that. This and Avengers are just superhero mashups that are outrageously fun (plus in the case of GotG, it IS its own movie, so consider it a progenitor of a brand new SL, despite a couple of tiny tie in's from prior Marvel flicks).

I don't think Avengers got a SB, did they? But if they do a GotG SB, I will definitely pre-order that. This and Avengers are just superhero mashups that are outrageously fun (plus in the case of GotG, it IS its own movie, so consider it a progenitor of a brand new SL, despite a couple of tiny tie in's from prior Marvel flicks).
Avengers did get a steelbook put it was a pre-ordfer incentive in store and on-line like they used to do. The steelbook was the actual pre-order slip. You would pay $7.50 for the steelbook and come back on release day with that receipt and you would get $7.50 off the movie. I think that was the way it worked I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Avengers did get a steelbook put it was a pre-ordfer incentive in store and on-line like they used to do. The steelbook was the actual pre-order slip. You would pay $7.50 for the steelbook and come back on release day with that receipt and you would get $7.50 off the movie. I think that was the way it worked I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Yep, that was my recollection. I have it sitting on my bookshelf.

bread's done
Back