Comfortable PC Gaming

el swordo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm curious how you guys game in the most comfort on a pc?  After moving my ps4 to a desk I'm actually thinking I might be able to game in comfort on a pc.  I got a cheap loveseat at the thrift shop equal to the length of the desk and added an ottoman underneath the desk for foot rest that also doubles as storage for disc based games.  There is a drawer on my right hand side where I can stash my controllers.  Add a nice comfy pillow for behind your back and it's pretty dang sweet.  On top of that there is retractable thing for keyboard and mouse that makes it so that I can type without having to lean forward.  Gotta say pretty awesome.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't directed at you, but I always love the console people who say dumb stuff like "I could never game on PC because you sit at a desk. I like to be comfortable on my couch". As if people who game on PC sit on a fuckin' stool or kitchen chair to game. Buy a nice chair and you'll forget that you're sitting at a desk.

This isn't directed at you, but I always love the console people who say dumb stuff like "I could never game on PC because you sit at a desk. I like to be comfortable on my couch". As if people who game on PC sit on a fuckin' stool or kitchen chair to game. Buy a nice chair and you'll forget that you're sitting at a desk.
True but, I've always had cheap computer chairs and always end up leaning forward at my pc. Doesn't stop me from spending a crap ton of time on my computer though. Just thought I'd share a pretty cheap option. Heck it could even be free if you see someone throwing one away

I have my own personal gaming rig in which I have a modified barber's chair that I got from craigslist for free. My desk is an Ikea computer desk that I modified for my height. This is inside my computer room with 7 other pcs line up for LAN gaming on the fly. They all have regular desk and fold up rolling office chairs.

I also have 3 HTPCs. In my living room, I have a PC connected to a Flatscreen TV (New from this year) with 4 controllers connected to it - 3 of them are wireless - 1 is wired (I prefer wired). I have a piece of wood that I laced with rubber and undersided it with foam and colored it black and red to hold a wireless KB and Mouse. Since I don't pay for cable - I use this like a remove to watch shows with the fam in the main living room.

In my bed room - I have a laptop connected to a 32 flatscreen - the laptop has a ton of freeware co-op games for me adn the ladies to enjoy at night. My TV is mounters on a old metal cylinder lamp that I modified for us to see the screen without neck pains.

My final HTPC is connected to a projector for my oldest kid's room. She also has the window that faces our yard and the project can be tilted to be seen outside on a wall. She has 4 wireless gamepads on it for co-op gaming and she has a profile in Antimicro (kb to joystick program in Linux) to use her gamepad like a remote for us to watch moves in the yard.

It kills me because I hear it constantly on gaming podcasts also.

My plan with Shadow of Mordor is to run a HDMi cable to my TV and use a wireless 360 controller to play from my couch assuming I don't like playing with KBM more.

I once had my computer hooked up to my tv and played on the couch, after awhile I got tired of it as it was great for playing games but for anything productive it was horrible. 

I am happy being back at a desk with a comfy chair to sit in. 

I have an HDMI splitter which runs to my reciever, then to my TV. So when I want to game, I just shut off monitors, and use the DS4 controller. If I need to use a mouse and keyboard, I do it at my desk. I rarely play shooters any more, so find the DS4 to be great.

I'm curious how you guys game in the most comfort on a pc? After moving my ps4 to a desk I'm actually thinking I might be able to game in comfort on a pc. I got a cheap loveseat at the thrift shop equal to the length of the desk and added an ottoman underneath the desk for foot rest that also doubles as storage for disc based games. There is a drawer on my right hand side where I can stash my controllers. Add a nice comfy pillow for behind your back and it's pretty dang sweet. On top of that there is retractable thing for keyboard and mouse that makes it so that I can type without having to lean forward. Gotta say pretty awesome.
If you want to do comfy PC gaming, invest into an executive office chair. Depending on your height, look for one with a high back and arms on the sides. They tend to be well cushioned (I am about 250 lbs and the one I use is quite comfy) and have good angles to lean back with. Usually, it's $100+ (may be cheaper this holiday) for a good one, so expect that range.

I agree with a really good office chair if you do not have a couch / TV set up near your computer.  You can get good office chairs for not a ton of money on Craigslist or somewhere similar.  Sometimes offices are getting rid of furniture, and they try to get rid of their existing furniture inexpensively.

Personally, I have a nice office chair for when I want to be at my desk.  When I feel like relaxing a bit more, I use my couch (my computer is hooked up to my TV).  I know that some people do not have the luxury of having their computer near their TV.  For that reason, I think it will be good if / when SteamOS takes off so that having a low powered PC near the TV that can play whatever is thrown at it from the gaming rig in another room.

When I first started pc gaming (early 2000s) I used to sit in a camping chair.

This past summer I bought myself a high-back mesh computer chair. It's not the most comfortable but I adjust as needed. I like reclining in my wannabe snuggie with my legs on the desk. But most times I'm sitting like this:

2268281_1324593885411.11res_313_300.jpg

My office chair is super nice, everyone needs a really nice office chair otherwise you are more uncomfortable then you need to be.

I am still new to the pc gaming scene but I'm attached to a computer for over 2 decades. I agree that a chair makes a huge difference in the comfort when sitting in front of the PC for hours but that is not the main thing I look for in comfort. I feel the desk plays a huge role. My desk in my basement is damn near perfect for my size, style, etc.

A great chair isn't worth a hill of beans if you are using it at a desk that is smaller than your bedroom end table and is either shorter or too high for your body frame. I prefer a L shaped desk where I can sit in the corner and rest both elbows on the desk. The desk needs to have enough space and cluttered free so I don't feel claustrophobic. I also feel comfortable knowing I am resting on some solid wood craftsmanship and not some Sauder particle board.

Anything I play with a keyboard and mouse: At my desk in my office chair.

Anything I play with a controller: On my couch with my PC hooked to my HDTV via daisy chained HDMI cables.

I have a two monitor setup. One monitor often has a vodcast, chat room or heaven's forbid, a strategy guide up. The games I play are pretty slow pace, so such distractions are not a big deal.

As for input devices, I actually enjoy playing with the keyboard most of the time, but I have all the controllers and their respective USB converters for the systems I have sold over the years( Snes, N64, Gamecube, Ps2, ect). My favorite is the Snes controller. It is a blast to play games like Spelunky and La-Mulana with it.  Joy to Key is the application for this, as mentioned above.

Most of my games are on Steam, but I have many games, roms, isos from past purchases on my external hard drives; which is annoying, but I hate physical clutter, so this is the price I have to pay.  Steam is pretty cool, as it tells you when your friends are on, so you can drop in an play with them ,occasionally. oddly enough, I enjoy taking screenshots of weird crap that happens in various games I am playing and posting them to the steam community section. 

I also love the fast forward feature in emulators. I often have it mapped to one of my controller buttons, if possible. It really makes grinding in RPGs very fast. I can complete RPGs like Dragon Quest III in no time flat because of this.

PC gaming is best enjoyed with a nice cup of tea or coffee to the side of your desk. Quite refreshing.

For an unintuitive answer: you could try a standing desk.

I use one at work, and it's great.  Wish I had one at home for working and playing PC games, but they're pretty expensive.  Standing for two or three hours at a time probably doesn't sound comfortable, but, once you get used to it, it's more enjoyable than sitting for hours at a time.  Helps your back/posture, too.

When gaming with KB+M setup, I always have a foot rest and a support pillow on my chair to help me maintain a good posture. I (unconsciously) slouch too much without either.

When with a gamepad, I'd lose the foot rest but add an additional pillow as a head rest, very helpful in leaning back and keep distance from the screen.

bread's done
Back