Xboxone external hard drive questions

fullhavok

CAGiversary!
Hey fellow cag's. I'm Going to be buying an external hard drive for my Xbox one. Has anyone added one yet? If so what brand do you recommend? Should I get usb or ac powered one. Does it make a difference. Any help would be appreciated! :)

WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup
Thats the one I got hooked up to the xbox one. They also have 2tb, 3tb and 6tb models. Its powered externally by ac plug. From what I read people suggested getting an ac powered hd. They said the usb powered will have some type of effect on the xbox in the long run.

looking to pick one up between now and BF. I had a 2gb mybook but ended up using that for back up on my network since it was just sitting there for 3 months doing nothing.

thanks for the advice 

Last edited by a moderator:
My Seagate works excellently and I usually recommend this particular model to anyone asking about buying external hard drives.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV2000100/dp/B00834SJS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413144109&sr=8-1&keywords=2+TB+External+hard+drive

That drive is probably the cheapest per storage cost one you'll find and it has over 3 thousand reviews with a 4 star rating.
Almost 12% give it one star complaining failure. That's bad when a Western Digital got better rating and only cost a little more if you shop around

http://smile.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E055H5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413152447&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital+2TB

Almost 12% give it one star complaining failure. That's bad when a Western Digital got better rating and only cost a little more if you shop around

http://smile.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E055H5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413152447&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital+2TB
6% Of the Western Digital's reviewers gave it a 1 star review which probably is because of failure issues. All hard drives have issues, but you can't single out SeaGate when everyone else will suffer from issues as well.

Additionally at $110 it costs $30 more than the Seagate drive and for that price you could get a 3TB Seagate drive instead.

6% Of the Western Digital's reviewers gave it a 1 star review which probably is because of failure issues. All hard drives have issues, but you can't single out SeaGate when everyone else will suffer from issues as well.

Additionally at $110 it costs $30 more than the Seagate drive and for that price you could get a 3TB Seagate drive instead.
6% failure rate is a lot better than 12% for Segate. I value my data too much to trust Segate.

That's a USB-powered WD drive and you're comparing it to a non-USB powered Seagate drive, so yes, there is going to be a price difference between the two of around $30 when not on-sale. I have seen that same WD Elements USB-powered drive for around $90-100 on-sale at random times from different retailers.

You can find 2TB WD Elements 3.5"/AC-powered drives on-sale around the same price as that Seagate you linked, though they're a bit harder to find than the My Book which is a little higher in cost because it comes with backup software. I just bought two WD Elements 3TB external hard drives for $99.99 each from TigerDirect when they went on sale last week, which is probably what I would go with for a X1 as an external drive.

I personally prefer WD over Seagate, as I own over a dozen of them in random roles (NAS, internal laptop, external USB) at my house. I do have a couple of Seagate external drives and have had no issues with them.

Got a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus Model for $90 off Newegg yesterday, I was going to go 5TB but rather save the $60ish. The backup plus models also have 2 year warranties where as the the normal Seagates are usually only one year. I'll let you know of performance and what not.

I didn't do speed tests but it ran good. The Backup Plus Model has more vents for cooling, obviously bad if you were to spill soda on it but doesn't get as warm as the other models. Games transferred REAL fast. Didn't do any speed testing with load times yet.

I currently own two portable drives, the WD MyPassport Ultra (2 TB) and the Seagate Backup Plus Slim (2 TB). I am very pleased with both of their performances and I haven't had any issues with either one. With all that being said, I prefer the Seagate as my portable hard drive for the Xbox One as it a lot smaller making it very easy to hide, not to mention it was overall slightly faster than the WD MyPassport Ultra in speed tests.

At first I used to be very concerned with hard drive failures as well, but over the years I've never had a WD or Seagate drive fail on me (knock on wood), so I am pretty confident in buying either brand. On a side note, all of my friends that currently own a portable drive for their Xbox One use the Seagate Backup Plus Slim as well and haven't had any issues. I don't think I would recommend going over 2 TB in that specific model as I heard it greatly increases the chance of a hard drive failure, but not sure if there is actually any proof of that.

If you are using a USB powered drive, are you guys using a y cable to connect it to the Xbox? I know the Wii U needs one, just wondering if the Xbox One does as well. 

Whatever you get, make sure it's USB 3.0 as nothing else will work. I tried an old 1TB external drive and it didn't even  pop up when connected to the XB1. 

I have had a Seagate 3TB for about 2-3 months. Love it. So much room, I still have only used 28%, about 2.4TB left open when you combine it with the 500gb internal.

I have had a Seagate 3TB for about 2-3 months. Love it. So much room, I still have only used 28%, about 2.4TB left open when you combine it with the 500gb internal.
If you store a game on external is it also stored in xbox cloud? Like if your external crashes, you still have game saves

bread's done
Back