Chipped Game Disks From Gamefly?

Marbles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Ok, I just purchased these games from Gamefly.

Tomb Raider Trilogy

Fable Anniversary

South Park Stick of Truth

Two of these games, the outer edge of the disk is rough and chipped.

Fable Anniversary has two large chips in the disk, image provided with this post.

Tomb Raider Trilogy just feels coarse and rough to the touch, like it's been steadily chipped all around it but there isn't a large chip like on Fable, just the whole disk is frayed.

Both play fine, but I don't like the idea of having damage like this on my disks.

How exactly did this happen, what could have caused it?

You may have to zoom in to see the detail of the chips.

Last edited by a moderator:
People say it's from the surfacing machine GameFly uses.

I don't know about damage to your system, but I've purchased many games from GameFly over the years, and my PS3 from 2008 is still alive (for now).

People say it's from the surfacing machine GameFly uses.

I don't know about damage to your system, but I've purchased many games from GameFly over the years, and my PS3 from 2008 is still alive (for now).
Mine's a 2nd gen PS3 console.

I traded my fat, release day PS3 for the Slim one just cause I liked the looks better.

I just don't like the rough, coarse feeling...

You're think the protective cardboard would do more.
It is not misuse on the disc as the problem is only localized to gamefly. I've never heard blockbuster or netflix users having this issue. I own hundreds of game discs, CDs, dvds, blu-rays and I have not once encountered an issue with edges being chipped from any of my consoles, players/readers. Whatever gamefly does to these discs to clean them, repair them is causing this issue. Some have also stipulated that it is how they identify their games. Whatever it is, only a small percentage of people actually notice the flaws because it usually does not affect gameplay.

It is not misuse on the disc as the problem is only localized to gamefly. I've never heard blockbuster or netflix users having this issue. I own hundreds of game discs, CDs, dvds, blu-rays and I have not once encountered an issue with edges being chipped from any of my consoles, players/readers. Whatever gamefly does to these discs to clean them, repair them is causing this issue. Some have also stipulated that it is how they identify their games. Whatever it is, only a small percentage of people actually notice the flaws because it usually does not affect gameplay.
There's an article floating around online about how the USPS handles Netflix discs with special care handling due to shipping out higher volumes of discs. There is no repair machine in existance that chips disc edges.

There's an article floating around online about how the USPS handles Netflix discs with special care handling due to shipping out higher volumes of discs. There is no repair machine in existance that chips disc edges.
The only other way I could see this damage is how USPS sorts mail. Since most of it is automated by machine, it's possible damage could come from there. There's very little information anywhere about chipped edges on CD's and how the damage originates but if it is not gamefly, it's going to come from USPS. Renters can not chip a disc from a normal amount of play. To this day, I still only buy cart-based games only from gamefly. They preserve the case/instructions pretty good until the date of sale. Only way I touch disc based games is if they're being traded-in at some point.

Your discs are actually better than the majority I've received, believe it or not. But I would warn you to look carefully at the inner rings, not the outer rings. They are chipped too, and over the years - I'm talking about five to seven years after purchasing the game - I've had two or three Gamefly discs shatter since DVDs are more prone to damage and the Xbox cases are especially tight.

It looks like your Fable disc is already cracked on the inner ring. I would advise you against fastening it securely in the game case. I've actually had to stack up my games instead of having them spine out because of this.

bread's done
Back