CAGcast #381: Gimme the Loot

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Disney Infinity Marvel, Destiny, and upcoming releases.  Also, the Hype Wagon returns!
Download (1 hour 9 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://audioboom.com/boos/2512747

GoDaddy.com Coupon Codes

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro: American Dream (Jakatta) -  Outro: Parkay Commercial
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hot Wheels idea sounds cool. I'd just slap a QR code or a unique code on the back though. A lot cheaper. If they still had Kinect with every system you could just show the kinect the QR code. If doritos had unique codes printed on the back of bags (COD had one), I'd imagine it could be done cheaply.

Man Disney Infinity seems like such a money suck. As a Nintendo fan I hope Amiibos don't sink to that level. Kindv'e a down week. When the only real enthusiasm in the show is for maybe starting a new Diablo character - you know things are bad for new releases. That's what happens I guess when Destiny lands with a thud and it's a waiting game for the big holiday releases. Shadow of Mordor looks amazing and I know other podcasters who played it have pegged it as a shadow contender for GOTY.

I know Wombat was joking but I'd buy the shit out of a Horizon car pack with Datsun, AMC, El Camino, etc. and, as a regular Jalopnik reader, I know I'm not alone.

So if the same guy wrote the Destiny script also did NHL 15's script, is there a line made by an announcer in NHL 15 that goes "That hit was so big that even that wizard on the moon felt it"?

Also why is Cheapy saying that having to purchase the extra cars for Forza Horizon 2 is like not getting the complete game? The cars DLC is completely cosmetic. You are not paying to unlock modes or missions, you are getting a complete game because whether or not anyone purchase the extra cars DLC does not prevent them from completing the game as is.

Because the whole point of a game like FH2 is driving and experiencing the different cars.

Good show guys. Looks like Mordor is pretty good from reviews. I was waiting to see what platform to buy for and both look the same so I guess XB1 will be my choice. Already got FH2 paid for and ready to pick up Tuesday. Can't believe you are still playing D3. You guys didn't get enough of it last time? I played through 3 times or so on X360 and can't get past act one on next gen. Metro is way more fun and I played through the first one last gen two or three times. Still playing Destiny on a regular basis which is a first for me in a while. Just discovered how fun Crucible is and love the game that much more now. I am trying to go cold turkey so I feel more inclined to play FH2 but I am just four games away from my max marks this week. So I will probably be playing Destiny all weekend haha. 

Sucks to hear that about the Playstation TV but thanks for the info. I am buying it for kids to play vita and stream PS4 so guess they won't care much about 720p just happy to play some games. 

I think you all missed the point. The biggest problem in games writing isn't people being on a group e-mail. It's groupthink. I do appreciate you even mentioning it, tho.

Also I am buying a PS TV for my kids as well. I have my PS4 on my big screen but my son plays in the basement with his friends.

Re: Watch This, Bitches.

I tried to offer suggestions before, it's been long enough I'll try again.

Cheapy, the Frontline on Ebola was good. However, can I recommend that you watch HBO's special "Terror at the Mall"? It's about the attack on the Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenya. It uses a lot of security camera footage and some shots from a reporter who went inside later to show you what happened. It's only an hour long and big parts of it are gripping. It is available on hbogo.

Hey Cheapy! I think you should not just dismiss Agents of SHIELD right away anymore. It seems to be on a similar trajectory as Arrow. Not great for about half a season; greatly improved end of season 1; fully embraced that it's a comic book show and seems to have kept the momentum going into season 2. In SHIELDS case season 1 seemed to be stalling for when Captain America 2 came out. I won't spoil the events of that film but they had a big impact on the television show and everything after that was very strong television. Check it out!

I don't disagree with anything said about GG. It's a shotgun-spread of issues, but review scores are low on the totem pole. The email chain isn't damning by itself; you're absolutely right that people in the same industry are going to talk to each other. However, it did show one example of Orland actually trying to form a unified narrative regarding ZQ (Orland did apologize for it). However, I doubt that was the first time it happened either. A lot of us remember those few days that a lot of major sites declared the label "gamer" is dead, "gamer" is equivalent to misogynist, etc. It also gave one more example of Kuchera being an utter, colossal prick.

It's funny that Cheapy mentioned they are competing with each other. He's right, but only to a certain degree - mostly to get a review/news story printed first. No major site calls each other out for when they act dishonest, or even offers counter-points to op-eds to the scandal of the week. They are all far too friendly and insular, and no writer wants to fuck up future prospects, as they often move from site to site. MSNBC and FOX News absolutely love tearing each other apart, often for good reason. Why don't we see that here? When Kotaku runs dishonest, tabloid stories that Dave Jaffe is a misogynist or that Max Temkin is a rapist, why aren't other outlets condemning them? They've said nothing over these absolutely disgusting hit pieces. I think the silence bugs me the most.

Their industry is becoming more and more irrelevant (which is why we're seeing more and more "culture" articles). Publishers rely on these sites less and less, as they are able to increasingly reach consumers directly. In a shrinking job market, people are scared to go against the grain. That's why I don't think there's a conspiracy. It's just a matter of not wanting to be the nail that sticks out and losing your job. I'm certain there are dissenting voices within major sites; we just don't get to see it. The email chain had writers demonstrating critical thought, as well as people demonizing them for daring to even question things. Rotten people in every field after all.

Anyway, hope that made sense. Great show as always.

Cheapy what the fuck happened with you and Destiny? I asked you on Twitch  if it was worse than you expected and you said no, it was about the same. You were stoked for Destiny after the beta. I played the beta and I thought it was generic, Yet here I am level 28 and you seem to have moved on. I'm not sure what you were expecting different from the beta, its almost like you let Shipwreck's opinion influence you. What made it kind of fun for me was having a fireteam and a clan that pushed me to level up with them, even if at times it was a grind and made me sick of it. I really wanted to play the upper level strikes and the Raid with a clan and experience something that I normally wouldn't and I did that. Its not an amazing game but it does do a few things right. 

I can't say I've ever thought much of gaming journalists. Sorta the D list of Journalism if you ask me.

As a non-car guy having 200 cars is probably 150 more cars then I would use while playing Forza Horizon 2.  So hearing Cheapy complaining about an option to buy 25 more cars seems a bit much too me.  I thought the pilot for Gotham was on par or better than Arrow.  The only difference between Gotham and Arrow is you actually know who the background characters are instead of being a bunch of people you've never heard of.  There was still the Speedy moment in Arrow, and Merlin for people who were fans of the Green Arrow.

I loved Gothm. My only issue was cramming so many villains in the show in a 'wink-wink, nod-nod" kinda way.  It didn't need it.  Very stylish, great cast, great characters, solid performances, and entertaining.  Pretty much the polar opposite of the SHIELD pilot.

I don't think that races would be something that would help with Destiny's mission variety at all. I can't think of an open world game where races were a positive part of the experience. I'd rather they do more things like the sword mission on the Moon and less like your typical version of early MMO kill quests.

Shipwreck, why do we need a new Forza game every year? Why not let them have more time to make the games so they're a bigger deal?

There are a ton of 1080p, 7.1 surround sound Vita, PSP, and PS1 games on PSN that requires the PlayStation TV to be supporting that stuff. Is it just an issue with the media apps that are every device out there? I don't get why it's an issue.

The funniest thing about the GameJournoPros list is GamerGate people freaking out at jokes/obvious sarcasm in some emails like saying "who hasn't slept with PR people before amirite" is something that confirms all of the conspiracies. Those people jump from one conspiracy to the next, blow it out of proportion until it's proven that it's false, then they find something else to fixate on for another day. It's like a blind squirrel desperately searching for a nut and running across many other round objects during their frantic search.

I disagree with Cheapy when he said that Far Cry 3 had a great story. I thought there were strange tonal shifts throughout the story and it didn't help that the most interesting antagonist was killed half-way through the game.

Also there were a lot of inconsistencies that really hurt the plot:

1. The friends of Jason Brody (the game's protagonist) where hiding in a cave on the side of a mountaintop with a boat. How did that boat get there and how did they get the boat down from the mountaintop at the end of the game (good ending)

2. Why did the German mercenary guy thought he can blow up several fuel depots (belonging to the main villain) and thought other mercenaries would not recognize him and report him back to the main villain).

3. How did the local tribesman find Jason Brody trapped underneath a pile of dead bodies? Why didn't Jason Brody suffocate?

4. Right before the final knife fight scene, Jason Brody was surrounded by mercenaries pointing guns at him as well as the main villain.  After the knife fight, all of the mercenaries are magically dead.

5. Why did Jason's stoner friend say his brother was dead when he was found alive later in the game?

6. Why did the main villain pretend not to recognize Jason Brody and allowed him to blow up his communication tower and fuel depot? At the end, he would say "I know who you are all along!!" - Doesn't make any sense at all.

There is a lot more but I don't have time to type all that. I enjoyed the first half of the game more than the 2nd. I found the latter to be nothing but repetition- doing the same kind of missions over and over again. Also the music and sound effects always overpowered the dialog during certain cut scenes. When the locals has something to say- It was the same dialog over and over again. 

Overall, I thought the game was overhyped. I hope they fix these things in Far Cry 4 and hopefully it has a better plot. Personally I would not put this game on the hype wagon. I would take a wait & see approach instead.

I disagree with Cheapy when he said that Far Cry 3 had a great story. [cut for length]
I don't think Cheapy's point was that is had a good story on its own merits, but more that you're able to easily ignore the story and it did not get in the way of the enjoyable core gameplay (which is running around the island and killing stuff).

I don't think Cheapy's point was that is had a good story on its own merits, but more that you're able to easily ignore the story and it did not get in the way of the enjoyable core gameplay (which is running around the island and killing stuff).
Yeah but I think that works for a game like Wolfenstein in which you expect a bad B-Movie story.

Far Cry 3 presents itself as a much more serious game (especially after the opening sequence when you and your brother try to escape the pirates). The inconsistencies in the story detracted from the game in my opinion.

bread's done
Back