Wii U/Wii Virtual Console Games "Failed To Launch"

Marbles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've had the Wii U since launch, just after the first week of Launch I downloaded over a 120+ Virtual Console games to a PNY 32GB SD Card I had in my Wii U.

As of two days ago, almost all the games on the first two pages, and a third of the games on the third page a all say "Failed to Launch"

Many of which are my most played games, a couple of them I've not played at all on the other hand.

The question is, what is causing this?
Is it shutting off the system while playing the game (I do that often, I'll be tired of a game and just shut off)

Or is it a sign my card is beginning to die?

I've redownloaded 4 games to the exact same position as they were before and the redownloaded games work perfectly.

So.. can anyone tell me what is going on?

Did you try a different card? SD cards can fail.
When I re-download the games, they work fine.

This SD card is 6yrs old minimum.

I've had and have been using it for my Wii and Wii U since SD Cards were allowed.

However I redownloaded everything to the card in 2012 instead of transferring (Long story short, I sold my Wii to pre-order my Wii U a year early, contacting Nintendo they refunded me all the Wii Points when I proved I had traded it in)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've had my SD card that long, too, but perhaps it's gotten less of a workout.

So basically you traded your Wii in, then had to prove what you owned from the Wii Virtual Console, then re-downloaded them all in Wii Mode on your Wii U, and now you're having these problems with your Wii U playing them in Wii Mode.  Do I have all that correct?

Assuming I have all that correct, I can't think of anything to explain it other than a dying SD card.

I think I've had my SD card that long, too, but perhaps it's gotten less of a workout.

So basically you traded your Wii in, then had to prove what you owned from the Wii Virtual Console, then re-downloaded them all in Wii Mode on your Wii U, and now you're having these problems with your Wii U playing them in Wii Mode. Do I have all that correct?

Assuming I have all that correct, I can't think of anything to explain it other than a dying SD card.
Exactly, it's only the games on the first two pages, and 1/3rd of the 3rd page.

The only other thing I can think of is

- Games I turned the console off while playing

- Constant moving of the Wii U (Moved 1000miles in April 2013, then set it up in my bedroom, then in the living room, and now in my bedroom again, and now on a new entertainment stand in my bedroom. Just up and unplugging it each time)

Is there an easy way to just copy everything from the SD to a new SD and see if it still has issues?  It might, if it's data corruption.  But I think it's fine to turn the console off while playing games, and I think it's fine to move it around, too.

Re-downloading stuff on the Wii store is really tedious, too, so hopefully you don't have to redownload it all.

Is there an easy way to just copy everything from the SD to a new SD and see if it still has issues? It might, if it's data corruption. But I think it's fine to turn the console off while playing games, and I think it's fine to move it around, too.

Re-downloading stuff on the Wii store is really tedious, too, so hopefully you don't have to redownload it all.
I tested re-downloaded 3 games, and they worked fine..
I can try copying them to another Memory card... though how big should I use?

Any card under 32GB will work fine (has to be formatted by the Wii I think, though).

I am stumped.  If you redownloaded them and they work, then maybe it's not the memory card after all.  I guess I'm not much help!

Are you running them off the SD card for sure, or are you running them off the Wii system memory (which is a reserved segment of the Wii U system memory)?

Are you running them off the SD card for sure, or are you running them off the Wii system memory (which is a reserved segment of the Wii U system memory)?
They are on the card, so they are running off the card

I have to click the card to get to the launch menu

Is your Wii Mode memory full? What about copying the non-working games to the Wii memory and see if they run from their?
Not even close, as I said I can re-download any of the games and they run perfectly.

How do I check Wii Mode Memory size?
All its used for is saves

Not even close, as I said I can re-download any of the games and they run perfectly.

How do I check Wii Mode Memory size?
All its used for is saves
Instead of redownloading them, maybe you could just copy them to the Wii memory and not bother with an SD card at all. It's really only the N64 and Turbo CD games that take up much space. I know you have a lot of games, though. The Wii has kid of piddly system memory, which is why we all had to start using SD cards in the first place.

Try copying them all off the SD card onto the Wii memory and see if they work. That might tell us if the SD card is having problems or if it's corrupt data (or both).

Instead of redownloading them, maybe you could just copy them to the Wii memory and not bother with an SD card at all. It's really only the N64 and Turbo CD games that take up much space. I know you have a lot of games, though. The Wii has kid of piddly system memory, which is why we all had to start using SD cards in the first place.

Try copying them all off the SD card onto the Wii memory and see if they work. That might tell us if the SD card is having problems or if it's corrupt data (or both).
I was gonna copy them onto another SD card first, just to test.

Tried to copy them to the WII U console, it says files did not copy/could not be copied

I was able to copy the files to ANOTHER SD Card. The games copied fine, but would not play.

So the games have been corrupted some way.

If I were to replace the 32GB Memory card, what size do you suggest.

As I said I have 12-13 pages full... and apparently you're only allowed to have 20 pages max

Add to that it only takes up 1.5GB

I wonder if the SD card is what caused the corruption.  It would be a shame to replace it if not.  Have you tried contacting Nintendo consumer service about this?

32GB card seems like overkill if you've only got 1.5GB worth of stuff.  Sounds like a 2GB would be fine, but a 4GB is cheap.  If you've got a 3DS and have replaced its stock card, you'll have a spare 2GB or 4GB sitting around, depending upon the mode.

I wonder if the SD card is what caused the corruption. It would be a shame to replace it if not. Have you tried contacting Nintendo consumer service about this?

32GB card seems like overkill if you've only got 1.5GB worth of stuff. Sounds like a 2GB would be fine, but a 4GB is cheap. If you've got a 3DS and have replaced its stock card, you'll have a spare 2GB or 4GB sitting around, depending upon the mode.
I can get a SanDisk 8gig for $5.. I was about to do that today.

I contacted Nintendo and used their official forums.. nothing has been said http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/141104#141104

Here is all Nintendo has to say

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3133

Situation:
The Wii console is displaying the error message, "Failed to Launch," when attempting to launch an item from an SD or SDHC Card.
What to Do:

1. Try to launch the game or Wii Channel several times. If you are still receiving this message, continue with the steps below.
  2. Return to the Wii menu, and access the Wii Shop Channel.
  3. Redownload the game or Wii Channel to the Wii menu. How to
  4. Launch the game or Wii Channel to ensure it launches properly.
  5. Return to the Wii menu, then delete from the SD Card the game or Wii Channel that failed to launch originally. How to
  6. Once the version that was not able to launch is deleted, copy the newer working version from the Wii system memory to the SD Card. How to
  7. Launch the game or Wii Channel from the SD Card Menu.
Redownloading the games work... but what if they get corrupted again?

Why were so many corrupted in the first place?

So how come you're bothering with the SD card at all and not just keeping them in the Wii memory and playing them from there?  I keep all my Wii stuff on an SD card, but when I want to play something, I move it to the Wii memory.  If I didn't have more stuff than would all fit in the memory, I don't know if I'd bother with an SD card at all.

So how come you're bothering with the SD card at all and not just keeping them in the Wii memory and playing them from there? I keep all my Wii stuff on an SD card, but when I want to play something, I move it to the Wii memory. If I didn't have more stuff than would all fit in the memory, I don't know if I'd bother with an SD card at all.
Because the Wii Memory traditionally had 512MB

Everything I have is double that, and from the SD card I can always play them at anytime... I am a fickle person who can drastically change what I play in an instant.. so if it's not available.. I'd get annoyed.

Everything runs fine from card...or did.

Just wrote down a list of all the games I purchased on VC.
Tested a few of my random favorites out on a whim, and found out some of my most accessed games are also corrupted.
So it's either regular or just accessing them has corrupted them or the PNY card is just crap.

Yeah, I have to wonder, is it just the normal act of playing them from an SD card, or is it the SD card?  If it were the normal act of playing from an SD, you'd think we'd have heard of this before and more often.  This is the first I've ever heard of it.

Yeah, I have to wonder, is it just the normal act of playing them from an SD card, or is it the SD card? If it were the normal act of playing from an SD, you'd think we'd have heard of this before and more often. This is the first I've ever heard of it.
It seems to be common enough for Nintendo to have it on their support page and an error code for it "Failed to Load" is the error code oddly enough.

I bought an 8gig SanDisk to replace it... so hopefully it works.

Oddly enough I was wrong, the 32GB was bought in 2012 for my Wii U.. the original I had was an 8GB Sandisk... which went missing when I moved. So did about 8 thumb drives.

Yeah, I have to wonder, is it just the normal act of playing them from an SD card, or is it the SD card? If it were the normal act of playing from an SD, you'd think we'd have heard of this before and more often. This is the first I've ever heard of it.
This is very doubtful, but I wonder if unplugging the HDMI Cable every few days to hook up a capture device might have caused a short that affected the card.
As I said doubtful, but a thought

Yeah, could be anything at this point!  I am stumped.  I don't think it's the HDMI cable or a short, but I have no decent explanation.

I suppose when you have your new card, the best thing to do would be to copy everything over from the old card to the new card, then go through and see what works.  If they all work, that's great.  If not, you'll have to redownload the non-working ones, which will be a pain.  But hopefully that solves it once and for all.  Then we'll be able to expect with a fairly high degree of certainty that the problem was the SD card.

bread's done
Back