NHL Discussion 2015-2016

Matt Young

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
The Kings are literally raising the banner right now here in Southern California and we have no NHL discussion thread for this season! Well here ya go. Preseason was enjoyable, but now the real fun has begun.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Preds open up at home tomorrow night. With the Yankees missing the playoffs again and the Titans season already down the shitter, the Preds are my last hope for competent sports this year. It really sucks when all of your favorite teams are horrible.

Hoping for a healthy year of Rinne, a boost from a big scorer like James Neal, and some of the younger prospects starting to play to their potential. It will also be interesting to see how the team looks under a totally different coaching system. The team really needed a jolt, and on paper, they look like a much improved team. But we'll see how that translates to results.

Avs start tomorrow against the Wild too.  Hope the D is better this year so Varly doesn't have to stand on his head all year again.  Should be a fun year for hockey.

Need to get to some games this year.  Tried to get to a few last year but never actually made it.

Glad you guys got things going. I didn't want to ramble on about the Kings in the first post and cause people to back out of the topic without replying, heh. The roster is almost exactly the same as last year. Plus the game was starting soon.

That game was just a terrible. The Sharks were clearly very motivated after their first round playoff collapse and having to watch the whole banner ceremony. Sucks to open the season that way, but stuff happens. I have no doubt that this team- if healthy- will once again go deep into the playoffs in spring of 2015.

Going to the Hawks vs Stars game tonight. Hoping Stars can make some progress this year.

Yeah, can't wait for the blues season to get underway tonight against the rangers. Looking forward to another great regular season and then a great big kick in the balls during the playoffs.

Wings opening against the Bruins tonight. All the experts are pretty down against Detroit and many claim this is the year they miss the playoffs. That would be bizarre to me as I have never witnessed the Red Wings not qualify..

Great matchups last night and tonight to kick off the season.
I love rivalry games, and couldn't wait forToronto-Montreal last night.

Rangers have Derek Stephan out for the first couple weeks, but I think they'll be OK. Looking forward to getting going tonight, and seeing some of the new additions in action.

I'm listening to the Preds radio broadcast, and this is actually kind of nice. The last few years I've been annoyed at not being able to watch the games without paying $80 a month for the cable package that includes the channel that shows the games. But with being able to listen on my phone I can still move around and multi-task. Hmm...this might work, haha.

The only problem is every time the announcers raise the level of their voice I'm like "OH SHIT!!!!"  :whee:

And as I'm typing, PREDS SCOOOOOOORE!!!!! Shea Weber with a freaking wraparound backhand goal. Damn...like his 105mph board breaking slapper isn't challenging enough to stop. :lol:

Woooo! 3-1 now. Damn, after trailing 1-0 through 2, the Preds scored 3 goals in 10 minutes. Also, Filip Forsberg is going to be a hell of a table setter. He's got 2 assists tonight and has been setting up scoring chances left and right.

Nashville is also outshooting Ottawa 33-17...which is something that never happened the past couple years. I'm pretty sure this is more shots than the Preds had in any game last season. Love seeing that aggressive offense. Keep shooting and eventually that goalie is going to fuck up, haha.

EDIT - Ugh...Ottawa with the NHL 14 goal to pull within 1. Shot hits off of 2 people, then hits the poat, and goes in.

EDIT 2 - 31 seconds left in the game...Ottawa has a power play and has pulled their goalie. Damn, hockey is back. :)

PREDS WIN! Yay...one of my teams won a game! lol.

Rick Nash does nothing all last year in the playoffs.
First game of the season---2 goals and an assist. Go figure.
I was at that game and he did really well. From watching the Rangers in the preseason and watching the Blues at the last 2 preseason home games when they were using most of the normal roster I had a feeling Rangers would win. I expected it to be more like a 4-2 game than what it was. I expect the Rangers to have a strong season and probably be one of the better teams in the east. As for my Blues, I expect issues for the first 20 games maybe fist half. I wont be surprised if Hitchcock is let go. He might start a rotation with Elliott and Allen before and I think the goal tending will stay as a rotation or Allen will take over as a starter. Unless St. Louis can win the western conference finals this is Hitchcock's last year. With a lack of a contract for next season with Detroit, and not being to happy with them unless things change I can see Armstrong trying his best for Babcock for next season. I don't see this goal tending coach lasting long also.

I picked up a 12 game plan only I don't know if I'll be able to take much more of this season. That is if I have the same people sitting behind me that were there opening night. Three out of 4 of them had Blues shirts on, one was Canadian and none of them knew anything about hockey. I don't know much and they knew less than me. I had to listen to jokes about number 19 for the rangers being a fast skater. The one never got it, till they pointed out his name. I had to hear the Canadian talk about the 7 arenas he has been to and how all of their kids seem to play hockey and be fans of Detroit. It was the 2 at the end that were doing all the talking and the one was yelling to the other one so much I think I lost hearing in my right. I also had to hear them ask each other the number of cups the Blues have and talk about how long it has been since they last won one. I don't think the 4 of them will be back at them seats as I heard one ask about season tickets and one said he has 4 seats, but doesn't know where they are. Sounded like the seats are in the upper level. If I have to put up with much of this it's going to be a long 12 games.

I looked up the games for the first 2 days and if I looked at it right it seems like only 5 or 6 teams won their home openers. I hope the Blues can win tonight. Sucks the block party was canceled. With Oktoberfest, Cardinals playing game one, the rally for game one(if it wasn't canceled) and the Blues playing to night the St. Louis area is going to be nuts. Add to all that it looks like the protesting is getting a little out of hand again.

The Kings scored their first goals of the regular season and got their first point last night, but dropped to 0-1-1 with a loss to Arizona in Glendale. Back at Staples tonight for a game with the Jets. That seems like a good shot at finally getting a win.

The Preds put a hurting on Dallas last night. Antoine Roussel put the Stars ahead 1-0 in the first, then it all fell apart for him and the team in the 3rd, capped off by this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqvfS9HoPSA

Roussel got pissy after it (maybe you shouldn't just skate into the zone casually assuming the 6'4" 235lb all-world defenseman is just going to let you by, lol) and got himself thrown out of the game.

Another game where Nashville outshot their opponent though, this time 33-18. Freaking great to see. Laviolette might be onto something.

Ugh, I can't watch any more of this.
Rangers are down 6-2 to the Leafs in the second. Lundqvist looks like swiss cheese tonight.
Screw it, Giants are starting anyway.

Edit-The Giants game is worse.

After sitting there watching the Rangers beat the Blues 4-3 for the Blues home opener watching the Rangers lose 6-2 was great.  I was watching it on an online service and it must have been a Rangers fan that changed it when it was 4-1 to King of the Hill.  Glad the Giants game was even worse as that means the Cards won.  

I guess with all the playoff talk around here I just assumed baseball.  Only football talk I ever here around here is about the Cowboys, even though St. Louis has a team.

Some talk about the terrible attendance at the Florida Panthers game, yet with all of the of warm weather/Florida rhetoric, all of the media seems to ignore that Tampa Bay has good attendance numbers. Maybe they failed geography or maybe they should do some journalism and try to figure out the real reasons for the poor attendance. (crap team, distance of the arena to the population base, etc.)

Preds with a shootout loss to Calgary tonight. On one hand, it's another point picked up. On the other hand, Nashville was TERRIBLE in shootouts the past couple years, and this still seems to be the case. Still, I can feel good about a 2-0-1 opening homestand. Now, they've got two games on the road before coming home for another three.

Just read that the NHL will allegedly announce on Friday that Nashville will host the 2016 All-Star game. So awesome! I don't even really care about the game, but I'd love to get tickets for the skills competition.

Stuff like that is pretty fun. I attended the ECHL All-Star game and skills competition a few years ago and it was a nice experience. Obviously, NHL would be better.

Big day for Nashville yesterday. They did get the 2016 all-star game, and they took 1st place in the Central with a 2-0 win over Winnipeg. 3-0-1 so far, and their first big test comes tonight in Chicago. I just hope they play them tough and don't let the Blackhawks push them around. Hopefully Weber or Gaustad or somebody can throw a big hit early and set the tone.

Big day for Nashville yesterday. They did get the 2016 all-star game, and they took 1st place in the Central with a 2-0 win over Winnipeg. 3-0-1 so far, and their first big test comes tonight in Chicago. I just hope they play them tough and don't let the Blackhawks push them around. Hopefully Weber or Gaustad or somebody can throw a big hit early and set the tone.
How has Neal being doing for the Preds? Hornqvist has been awesome for the Pens. He's fit right in on the top line with Kunitz and Crosby and they've had instant chemistry. I don't know if Hornqvist will net 40 goals like Neal did but he should be good for 25-30 easy. He's exactly the kind of player the Pens needed. Someone who goes to the front of the net and can forecheck like a madman, with a good mix of skill and grit.

How has Neal being doing for the Preds? Hornqvist has been awesome for the Pens. He's fit right in on the top line with Kunitz and Crosby and they've had instant chemistry. I don't know if Hornqvist will net 40 goals like Neal did but he should be good for 25-30 easy. He's exactly the kind of player the Pens needed. Someone who goes to the front of the net and can forecheck like a madman, with a good mix of skill and grit.
He's had kind of a slow start. He's leading the team in shots with 16, but only has 1 goal...which is also his only point. He's a -3 right now too. I mean, I think having a guy with his abilities on the ice helps, and it opens things up for other players.

But hopefully he'll start putting it together soon. It might be a matter of finding the right linemates for him too. But as for jumping in and contributing, he's kind of being outperformed by both Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy right now. Makes me feel even better about the 3-0-2 start with Neal not contributing a whole lot, haha.

With as good of teams that are in the central I'm worried about the Blues with the start they're having.  I watched a stream of last nights game and Allen did look good in net, but the 2 teams to really test them both were a loss.  I'm not sure how you can have 40+ shots on goal and nothing to show for it.  Quick is good, but I expected the game to be at the best a 1-1 game going to OT/shootout with LA getting the extra point.  I really don't look at Calgary and Arizona as a test for St. Louis.  Tonight will be the third in Anaheim.  As good as it is to see Elliott in net I really hope I get to see a lot more of Allen.  

Obviously, it's still very early in the season, but things may have gotten a little more real tonight. Chicago and Nashville squared off for the second time this season...with both teams still not having lost in regulation. And the Preds rode a James Neal hat trick to give Chicago that first regulation loss. Nashville is tied with Anaheim and Montreal for most points in the league with 12.

Like I said, it's early...but I am damn happy with the things this team has done so far. Looking at the moves they've made the past couple years, you could just see them priming themselves for a good year. Of course, prospects have to pan out and players have to stay healthy, but I really think they've got the makings of a good team.

And just after I posted about James Neal's slow start...he now has 4 goals in his past 2 games and leads the team with 5, haha. Filip Forsberg also picked up two more assists to maintain the team lead with 6. I love the way that kid plays. :)

EDIT - Actually, I just noticed, Nashville is now the only team left without a loss in regulation. Go Preds!

I know it's still early, but I think the Preds are a contender this year.  I'm not looking forward to tomorrow night when St. Louis takes on Chicago.  With the way St. Louis has been playing as of late they will be lucky to be the last wild card.

I know it's still early, but I think the Preds are a contender this year. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow night when St. Louis takes on Chicago. With the way St. Louis has been playing as of late they will be lucky to be the last wild card.
I hope so. One of my favorite things about them this year is I feel like they can give Rinne more rest because Carter Hutton is a legit backup. He earned his keep last year as the main goalie, and has somehow found a place for himself in the NHL at the age of 28 (not exactly a young stud).

The team is also still without Mike Fisher who's out till late November after surgery for a ruptured Achilles. He skated with the team in some no contact drills the other day...but I'm really not sure what to expect when he comes back. He's always been solid, but hopefully the injury and his age won't start to tip his career in the other direction.

The Preds are also fortunate they've had a franchise goalie to build (and rebuild) around. It seems like that's been one of St. Louis's biggest struggles the past few years.

I think the changing of the coach has also helped Nashville.  Some times it just takes a different approach to get needed results.  The change that Peter Laviolette may have been what was needed.  Along with the trades and signings that happened during the off season.  After all the years maybe what Tortz was doing wasn't working anymore.

As for St. Louis I hope the issues with Ben Bishop has thought them a lesson with Allen.  I really think Allen is the future for them.  The goaltending issues they have right now are a backup that has to get used to not only a new goaltending coach, but also get used to being a starter and a backup that has to get used to the NHL again as well as the team again and the new goaltending coach.  It's going to take some time and the schedule St. Louis has for this month and the teams that they play in the back to backs wont make it easy to get used to it.  I think Allen has what it takes given the right goaltending coach.  Elliott on the other hand is to good to be a backup yet I don't think has hit that level to be a starter.  A good goaltending coach can put them both where they need to be.  I'm just not confident that Jim Corsi is that coach.

Preds were blanked by Pittsburgh last night, 3-0. Just ran into a hot goalie. Still got 25 shots on Fleury and couldn't get one past him. Now they've got a long stretch of road games coming up as Nashville has a bunch of activities going on next week with the CMA Awards. Hopefully they can continue the solid play away from home.

It's Fleury, the next time they play he may let it in 3 out of 10 shots.  I don't know how's flakier, him or Miller.  Same thing goes for Mason and Emery.  Them 4 seem to me like when they're good you can get 100 shots on them and not one go in, however when they're off it's everything goes it.  It seems worse with those 4 than it does for any other goaltender.

The Predators are back on the winning side tonight picking up a solid 4-1 win over Edmonton.  Really nice to see them beating the teams they should beat.

During the game against Chicago one of the announcers for St. Louis had said that it sounds like Minnesota may have this bacterial infection now.  I had read some place that it is rumored to have come from the LA or Anaheim visitor locker rooms.  Any one hearing if this has caused issues yet for the teams they fallow? 

Ugh...Rinne coughed one up last night, giving up 3 goals in the 3rd to give Calgary a 4-3 win. At least James Neal scored 2 more goals...but they can't let games like that get away. Damn you, devil's holiday! lol

Thursday a lot of things that shouldn't have happened did. Looks like some carried over to yesterday as well.

Both Ryan McDonagh and Kevin Kline left last nights game with injuries, McDonagh with a separated shoulder which will keep him out a while.
They already are without Dan Boyle and John Moore, so only two of their regular Defensemen are in the lineup.
Mike Kostka and Matt Hunwick filled in nicely last night, and I guess they're going to be calling up a couple more kids, while they look and see who's available via trade.
Derek Stephan, their #1 center hasn't played at all this year either.
What a mess.

Ben Bishop hasn't been playing well this year. Luckily the Lightning offense is one of the best in the league. I'm hoping Hedman being out is the reason for the defensive drop off

The Predators picked up a nice win tonight, beating a hot Canucks team 3-1, snapping their 4 game winning streak. Filip Forsberg had 2 goals and an assist giving him 11 points in 11 games so far this season. Not bad for a 20 year old. That kid is going to be very good.

I still can't believe they got him for Michael Latta (who's struggling to even stay in the NHL) and an aging Martin Erat (who pissed and moaned in Washington until they traded him a year later). David Poille fleeced the Capitals so hard in that trade.

Please tell me that isn't how the Panthers broadcast is all the time.  If so you just showed me another team who's broadcasters I wont be able to listen to.  With the streaming service I have I'm learning that the NBC announcers aren't as bad as I once thought when I compare them to the ones for some of the NHL teams.

Please tell me that isn't how the Panthers broadcast is all the time. If so you just showed me another team who's broadcasters I wont be able to listen to. With the streaming service I have I'm learning that the NBC announcers aren't as bad as I once thought when I compare them to the ones for some of the NHL teams.
No, it's their local ESPN Desportes affiliate. Apparently, they partnered with them to broadcast 3 games on the Spanish radio station this year in an attempt to reach a wider audience, I guess (though trying to hook people completely unfamiliar with the game with only 3 broadcasts seems pointless to me).

I've just been using the NHL app on my smartphone to listen to the Preds radio broadcasts. That app is really great. You can listen to home or away broadcasts of every game for free. It might not be as good as watching, but it's better than spending $90 a month on cable. And it allows me to multi-task.

I'd mention the service I use, but I'm sure I can't here.  I get every game even the NBC games for 110 a year.  Even gives other leagues.  Down side is on my Roku I have about a minute delay.  I'm happy with the service.  No need to pay for cable other than for the internet and I still get to watch hockey.  It's nice to see games that I normally wouldn't be able to watch.

bread's done
Back