- - - - -

Turtle Beach Call of Duty Headset Blowout Sale Up To 75% Off

call of duty turtle beach

#31 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

The sound quality on those of these are garbage. Like, yeah you can stuff an amp onto a shitty headset and promote "surround sound" but 90% of the time on the lower end models it's virtual surround which just doesn't sound good to me. I will say the sound quality on the Tango/Phantom are MUCH better than the other versions, but you'll likely have issues with the headset pairing with the transmitter after a while.

Personally I hated the dumbass CoD branding with the Tango. Having that damn voice tell me every time I was turning the thing on and off was not what I needed. The problem is, even at a heavy discount these just aren't the best choice in headsets unless your budget is literally set at $100.

If you game on PC, go with a pair of Logitechs or Sennheisers or just get a pair of ATHs and a ModMic/Blue Yeti.

If you want the best console headset, you'd have to go with Astros. Yes, they're overpriced, and I don't feel good about spending $180 (what I paid for it at the time) but the difference is huge. On average the headsets last longer than TBs, and the MixAmp is a godsend compared to the transmitter bases/in-line muxs the TBs have. The thing doubles as a sound card for your PC or whatever else you're plugging into it, and you can pair it with any (better) headphones (ATH-M50 in my case).

TB "gaming" branded headsets are rarely worth the money they're asking for. Just my 2 cents. I've personally tried 4 models of TBs before settling for Astros.

---

Better yet, just buy the HyperX Cloud. From what I've heard from people who use it, it's fucking amazing for the price. $80.

http://www.amazon.co...s=hyper x cloud

#32 Jimmienoman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3547 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Jimmienoman

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

The sound quality on those of these are garbage. Like, yeah you can stuff an amp onto a shitty headset and promote "surround sound" but 90% of the time on the lower end models it's virtual surround which just doesn't sound good to me. I will say the sound quality on the Tango/Phantom are MUCH better than the other versions, but you'll likely have issues with the headset pairing with the transmitter after a while.

Personally I hated the dumbass CoD branding with the Tango. Having that damn voice tell me every time I was turning the thing on and off was not what I needed. The problem is, even at a heavy discount these just aren't the best choice in headsets unless your budget is literally set at $100.

If you game on PC, go with a pair of Logitechs or Sennheisers or just get a pair of ATHs and a ModMic/Blue Yeti.

If you want the best console headset, you'd have to go with Astros. Yes, they're overpriced, and I don't feel good about spending $180 (what I paid for it at the time) but the difference is huge. On average the headsets last longer than TBs, and the MixAmp is a godsend compared to the transmitter bases/in-line muxs the TBs have. The thing doubles as a sound card for your PC or whatever else you're plugging into it, and you can pair it with any (better) headphones (ATH-M50 in my case).

TB "gaming" branded headsets are rarely worth the money they're asking for. Just my 2 cents. I've personally tried 4 models of TBs before settling for Astros.

---
Better yet, just buy the HyperX Cloud. From what I've heard from people who use it, it's fucking amazing for the price. $80.

http://www.amazon.co...s=hyper x cloud

A few reviews on the spectres were pretty great. Even when being compared to Astros they held their own. Just saying they are a viable option for those that can't fork out $150-$200. Yeh it's not going to be the same, but for a $120 difference its a good deal

#33 Mojo691   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   55 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

I've got x41's as well, but having just "upgraded" to the 500gb 360, I can't use them anymore since there's no optical or digital output. Any suggestions?

Well, there is this:

http://www.turtlebea...o-converter/421

Or the cheaper Amazonian route:

http://www.amazon.co...TICAL CONVERTER

#34 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

I mean, the Spectre is $10 cheaper on clearance through TB vs. Amazon/Best Buy. I'm not sure what the tax/shipping situation is on TB.com but why would you not just get the HyperX at that price point? If you're a CoD fan I can understand but I personally would pay the extra $10 for it to not have the CoD branding on it. Comparing the Spectres to Astros is a bit unfair given the price difference, but at the $70 to $80 you can still find better headsets than it.

I hope I don't sound too sour. I just... never understood why people liked the Turtle Beach brand so much. It's like the Beats of gaming headsets. Ugh.

#35 bgame2   Pure Cag Smoothness CAGiversary!   3563 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

A couple of thoughts on this and they kind of relate to what Prinny said above.  I originally had a wireless TB headset that I got from Circuit City's going out of business sale.  I loved them.  More comfortable than anything else.  Then I got an X31 which I had used until recently.  I really thought that anything better than that would be almost unnoticeable.  Then I used a pair of Tango's.  More comfortable and better sound.  

I guess what I'm saying (partially in response to prinny) is unless you have all the headsets, you really do like the TB's because they are really nice.  So there is some loyalty there because they are familiar to people.  It's like how they always buy Ford or Chevy.  Also, I have been researching and many people with Astro's seem to think that they are not any better than other headsets (that may be the vocal minority on forums though).

#36 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

I mean, the Spectre is $10 cheaper on clearance through TB vs. Amazon/Best Buy. I'm not sure what the tax/shipping situation is on TB.com but why would you not just get the HyperX at that price point? If you're a CoD fan I can understand but I personally would pay the extra $10 for it to not have the CoD branding on it. Comparing the Spectres to Astros is a bit unfair given the price difference, but at the $70 to $80 you can still find better headsets than it.

I hope I don't sound too sour. I just... never understood why people liked the Turtle Beach brand so much. It's like the Beats of gaming headsets. Ugh.

Yes, you do sound too sour.  Like Beats, Turtle Beach is good option at the right price point.  You are absolutely correct that they are overpriced for MSRP, but at these prices, the value is pretty good.  I have not tried every headset out there, but the quality of Turtle Beach (especially their higher end stuff) will be considered very good to excellent for the vast majority of people.  Also, you are making some incorrect comparisons on some items here.  Yes, there may be better options for wired headsets even at these prices, but for items like the Tango and Phantom, you can't get much better value for surround sound wireless.  And these are true surround, not simulated as your previous post alluded.  Lastly, even some wireless headsets such as Astros actually have more components and wires making it less than ideal for many users.  My Turtle Beach headphones can be played on Xbox 360 or PS3 with absolutely no wires - even for chatting.  Sadly, that option doesn't exist yet for Xbox One and PS4 for any headset yet (as far as i'm aware).

I'm not a Turtle Beach fanboy by any means, but they do provide a pretty good experience if you can find them for the right price.

#37 thelwig14   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   481 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

Any of these wired?

#38 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

Those are headphones, not the same thing. These headsets give you surround sound, you won't get the same effect with regular stereo headphones.

Getting around that is easy, especially for me where I bought a bunch of random junk from Goodwill including microphones, an "old" Sony 2400ES receiver for $10 that does let me do virtual surround over headphones, and, yes...a TB X41 set. It was incomplete with a lot of the headphone accessories gone (but the headset itself was trash - and trashed) but the little optical receiver was what I was after. Virtual surround effects are pretty good through my ATH-AD700 set. 

In defense of TB though, it's great to have a complete setup and not have to worry about jury-riggin' your PS4/3 like a Christmas tree. I'm just one of those few who just get kicks out of that. Besides, I don't recall saying that they were outright bad but just perhaps not the best solution for the money. This is CAG after all...

...But I stopped thinking the mentality of "one headphone to end all headphones." Sound is perceptive and can mean millions of things to millions of people. If you collect a bunch of headphones, you'll realize why there are people out there who spend thousands and thousands on audio equipment. It's one of those cases you really can do what sounds right to you.

*exhales deeply* outta breath.

#39 Branyon47   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

Okay so Tango and Phantom are sold out so now im between Xray and Spectre.  I will be using them primarily with ps4 so that will make the xray no longer wireless.  it looks like xray is surround and spectre is not.  Anyone have any suggestions either way?

Edit: so im new to gaming headsets.  From the diagrams on the spectre it looks like it has to be connected directly to the console.  Is that true?  If so then the xrays are a no brainer since it looks like the only wire they would need is one connecting to the dualshock 4 controller.

#40 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

Okay so Tango and Phantom are sold out so now im between Xray and Spectre.  I will be using them primarily with ps4 so that will make the xray no longer wireless.  it looks like xray is surround and spectre is not.  Anyone have any suggestions either way?

Edit: so im new to gaming headsets.  From the diagrams on the spectre it looks like it has to be connected directly to the console.  Is that true?  If so then the xrays are a no brainer since it looks like the only wire they would need is one connecting to the dualshock 4 controller.

http://www.amazon.co...=usb sound card

One of these two will set you up on PS4. If you choose the SYBA one though be sure to have a USB extension cable so it fits in the PS4's USB hub.

#41 Branyon47   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

One of these two will set you up on PS4. If you choose the SYBA one though be sure to have a USB extension cable so it fits in the PS4's USB hub.

Hey thanks for the information but it looks like the x-ray makes the most sense for me since i wont have to have cords dragging across my den frustrating my 2 dogs and wife.

#42 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hey thanks for the information but it looks like the x-ray makes the most sense for me since i wont have to have cords dragging across my den frustrating my 2 dogs and wife.

Good idea in that case, lol. BTW, you'd have to hook up the headset to your TV or A/V Receiver or those USB sound cards I put up there. 

#43 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

If you are only using headphones for PS4 or PS3, I highly recommend Sony's Gold Wireless headset.  The plug and play ease of use is second to none and the sound quality is very good.  They are also completely wireless (no plug into the Dualshock 4 jack needed).  The use a USB dongle that plugs into the console, so no need for running wires.  This also makes them easy to move between consoles.    MSRP is $100.  You can get them for about $80 on normal sales and I would expect even lower in coming weeks.  I got mine for $40 after rebate when Tiger Direct had a great deal on them recently.

I'm not saying the Sony Golds are a better choice, just something to consider as an alternative.

#44 DaddyBoJangles   A Blue Slime Appears CAGiversary!   1557 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

DaddyBoJangles

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

Just stopping by to warn some of you thinking about buying these for use with the Xbone. The chat adapter can be a pain when trying to adjust game volume and chat volume, I've tried everything to get mine to differentiate to no avail. 

#45 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

Just stopping by to warn some of you thinking about buying these for use with the Xbone. The chat adapter can be a pain when trying to adjust game volume and chat volume, I've tried everything to get mine to differentiate to no avail. 

I got mine to work, but I recall it being a pain to work with.  I think I just turned up chat all the way and turned off the game sound from the controller and just use the chat cord volume control to control the chat volume.  Of course, the game sound is coming from the Turtle Beach transmitter via the optical cable from the console.  If you allow the game volume to come through the controller, it will never sound right from my experience.

It's funny that it's been so long since I have used chat on Xbox One or even played much on it (i'm mostly on PS4).

#46 sherlock2g   Like Whoa! CAGiversary!   1017 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

sherlock2g

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

If you are only using headphones for PS4 or PS3, I highly recommend Sony's Gold Wireless headset.  The plug and play ease of use is second to none and the sound quality is very good.  They are also completely wireless (no plug into the Dualshock 4 jack needed).  The use a USB dongle that plugs into the console, so no need for running wires.  This also makes them easy to move between consoles.    MSRP is $100.  You can get them for about $80 on normal sales and I would expect even lower in coming weeks.  I got mine for $40 after rebate when Tiger Direct had a great deal on them recently.

I'm not saying the Sony Golds are a better choice, just something to consider as an alternative

I'm looking for a headset that works both for PS4/PS3. I would love the Sony Gold but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. 

#47 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

-snip-

All the high-end headsets from TB and Astro tend to break pretty easily and frequently. I don't think the build quality of any of them are particularly good, nor do I stand by the A40s/A50s to be "better" headsets than the Tango or Phantom. I do very much believe the MixAmp makes the Astros a much better buy than TBs if you're looking for the best experience.

As for the Tangos and Phantoms, yes. I think those are the only two headsets in the entire list that are worth buying. Like I said before I personally have used them and the sound quality is fine (and true surround). I also tried the A50s but I wasn't blown away by any of them, so I stuck with a wired setup. If you need wireless they are probably the best bang for your buck as the choices for console are very slim. Wireless just didn't work for me in the end because I'd have to charge the thing pretty much every time mid-session.

I have to stop writing these giant ass walls of text. Buying a headset that fits you is extremely complicated. So many aspects to consider. The is no clear "right" choice. Just... please do you research before buying anything. Don't just buy stuff because it's on clearance.

#48 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

...But I stopped thinking the mentality of "one headphone to end all headphones." Sound is perceptive and can mean millions of things to millions of people. If you collect a bunch of headphones, you'll realize why there are people out there who spend thousands and thousands on audio equipment. It's one of those cases you really can do what sounds right to you.

I have to stop writing these giant ass walls of text. Buying a headset that fits you is extremely complicated. So many aspects to consider. The is no clear "right" choice. Just... please do you research before buying anything. Don't just buy stuff because it's on clearance.

Welcome to the club of CAG Creative Writing Prinny.  :razz:

#49 bgame2   Pure Cag Smoothness CAGiversary!   3563 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

That's good advice Prinny.  I actually was searching for headsets the last few weeks.  I had watched a number of youtube reviews/comparisons on the A40s,50s, Tango and Phantom.  These were in addition to the Pulse Elite and Sony Gold.  I hate to say it, but I'm probably going to end up buying the upcoming TB wireless XB1 headset.  I cannot stand wires. In all of my research to date, it seems that there is no one perfect headset for everyone.  In line with what you said though, the A40's mix amp gets almost universal praise.

#50 Jimmienoman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3547 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Jimmienoman

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

That's good advice Prinny. I actually was searching for headsets the last few weeks. I had watched a number of youtube reviews/comparisons on the A40s,50s, Tango and Phantom. These were in addition to the Pulse Elite and Sony Gold. I hate to say it, but I'm probably going to end up buying the upcoming TB wireless XB1 headset. I cannot stand wires. In all of my research to date, it seems that there is no one perfect headset for everyone. In line with what you said though, the A40's mix amp gets almost universal praise.

From what I saw the new TBs about to come out are supposed are supposed to be revamped quite a bit. If it holds up to 3/4 of the hype they could possibly grab the crown from Astro

#51 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3672 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

I'm not very familiar with various Turtle Beach models. What's the equivalent and next step up from an Ear Force XP400 (which I currently own)?

#52 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

I'm not very familiar with various Turtle Beach models. What's the equivalent and next step up from an Ear Force XP400 (which I currently own)?

Tango and Phantom are essentially a newer and slightly more upgraded version of the XP400.  I believe both are sold out.

#53 ludus   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   646 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

Wish I had the money for one of these at the moment. Would love to own a new pair. :(

#54 dagdaniel   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

dagdaniel

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:28 PM

phantom's are out of stock, unfortunately

*edit: didn't see this before, my bad

#55 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1806 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:21 AM

All the high-end headsets from TB and Astro tend to break pretty easily and frequently. I don't think the build quality of any of them are particularly good, nor do I stand by the A40s/A50s to be "better" headsets than the Tango or Phantom. I do very much believe the MixAmp makes the Astros a much better buy than TBs if you're looking for the best experience.

As for the Tangos and Phantoms, yes. I think those are the only two headsets in the entire list that are worth buying. Like I said before I personally have used them and the sound quality is fine (and true surround). I also tried the A50s but I wasn't blown away by any of them, so I stuck with a wired setup. If you need wireless they are probably the best bang for your buck as the choices for console are very slim. Wireless just didn't work for me in the end because I'd have to charge the thing pretty much every time mid-session.

Bingo.  I think I've gone through 5-6 different headsets.  All of them have flaws.  The Astro's suck for me because I constantly got headaches wearing them because of how they squeezed my head - that and I had issues with their mic at the time.  I do like their bluetooth (A38?) for music and they have improved their design (at least to fit my head).  The Mixamp was great, I just couldn't deal with everything else.

Once I move I will probably get the Sony Gold set for my PS3/PS4.  I have the original ones Sony made for the PS3 and let my son use them for his Skylander's escapades.  Currently I am using TB PX22 on the PS4 and a PX21 on the PC.  Why?  It is not that they sound the best but because I can wear them for a longer period of time without issues.

I think TB screwed up when they stopped making the DSS / DSS2.  I still have my DSS and that is how I have the PX22 connected to the PS4 - running digital out to it.

Well....looks like I can find the DSS2 on the TB page now.  Did not know they started them up again.  Again, looks like it.  http://www.turtlebea...r-force-dss2/33  

I think this is a better option than those USB dongles.  Then you can choose what headphones / cans / etc....that you want to use.  Of course, that isn't CAG like though - just an option.

#56 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1350 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

I love my x41's

I have had my 2 sets for a few years.

With the exception of crackling when the batteries are weak I never had an issue I run my optical from the tv so it plays tv and all the systems.

#57 LordCancer   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   26 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

LordCancer

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

(and true surround)

true surround? (Tangos and Phantoms) they have 50mm drivers, and you recommend the astro mixamp? the whole point of which is to simulate surround on stereo headsets. they're all hocus pocus virtual. 

#58 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

I don't even know what you're asking. Hopefully you don't think you're gonna get a headset with 8 individual speakers in them.

#59 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3589 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

true surround? (Tangos and Phantoms) they have 50mm drivers, and you recommend the astro mixamp? the whole point of which is to simulate surround on stereo headsets. they're all hocus pocus virtual. 

I don't know how it works, but you can tell a difference between, stereo, virtual surround, and real surround in headsets.  Surround headsets don't sound as good as my 7.1 home theatre setup when it's turned up, but it's surprisingly good.  I'm also surprised at how well virtual surround headsets sound, but you can tell a difference between those and a surround headset.

#60 LordCancer   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   26 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

LordCancer

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

I don't even know what you're asking. Hopefully you don't think you're gonna get a headset with 8 individual speakers in them.

you said true surround... a few years back they were trying to emulate real surround with multiple drivers in headsets, they were not very good and expensive. everyone moved to higher quality drivers and virtual surround.

I don't know how it works, but you can tell a difference between, stereo, virtual surround, and real surround in headsets.  Surround headsets don't sound as good as my 7.1 home theatre setup when it's turned up, but it's surprisingly good.  I'm also surprised at how well virtual surround headsets sound, but you can tell a difference between those and a surround headset.

i mean that was kind of my point, there is no true surround in a headset. all of these headsets mentioned in this thread are using 40-50mm stereo drivers. the ones advertised as surround head sets are using a mixamp to process the dolby or dts surround tracks on stereo drivers making them (Tangos and Phantoms) virtual surround.