Trouble Running FO:New Vegas on PC

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (100%)
Greetings CAG,

I decided yesterday to try out New Vegas on my pc and cannot even get the game to run for more than 10 seconds. It will show the legal screen then the Bethsoda logo and got black and back to my desktop force closing.

I tried to do some research on the issue. I have windows 7 64bit with an ATI Radeon HD 6670. Apparently the game has issues with ATI cards and there was a DLL fix. In the notes for this fix it was stated that the game was patched and the DLL shouldn't be needed anymore. I decided to try it anyway but it doesn't do anything for me. (I think the file is called d3d9.dll).

I tried to verify the integrity of the files on steam. 1 file always fails. However, I heard that some games that is normal.

I am at a loss for how to fix this and am debating on just spending the $13 to get it for xbox off of Amazon. I figured I would take one last shot and see on here if anybody was experiencing the same issue and found a fix.

Thank you all for your time!

PC should handle it without issue. Usually, a CTD is caused by a problem file in either the base game, one of the expansions, or a mod you're running. I had it happen more with the "latterer" of the three. I would say do the following:

1) Do a check of your HDD and RAM. Usually, executing a CHKDSK in an elevated (run as administrator) "Command Prompt" will do a simple check of the HDD. For RAM checking, it involves finding a bootable utility like Memtest+ and booting it via CD/DVD or USB to scan the RAM. You can even do an SFC /SCANNOW in the elevated Command Prompt to do a system file check of your Windows OS.

2) Do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Fallout: New Vegas. Even the slightest hiccup in a download can cause some data to not come down right.

3) Run the base game without expansions or mods. If it boots up ok, try with an expansion at a time. If the game and all the expansions load up ok, then start loading your mods until you find the troublesome bit of data or all seem to work (whichever comes first).

If all of the above don't work, then it's likely a deeper issue with your PC. Maybe the current settings for performance on the game are conflicting with what your rig can handle, so tune things down. Beyond that, I can't say much more.

bread's done
Back