Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked FAQ

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
This thread is being created to address questions regarding the gamers club unlocked $30 promotion going on right now (Expires 11/22). I have also been working with dc delta90 to create this FAQ, which should help clear up some confusion relating to the promotion.

FAQ’s on The “Get a 2 Year GCU Membership for $30 When You Buy a NEW Game $39.99 or above” Promotion (In-Store only promotion):

Q: How do I actually do this at the store?
A: Grab any game $39.99 or above. If you can find one of the blue GCU cards, bring that up to any register. You don’t need this but it will make it easier to process the transaction. The cashier can also bring up the sku for the GCU membership right at the register, it’s 3081375 if they can’t find it.

Order for processing the transaction:
1. Add your My Best Buy Membership to the transaction. (required) If you don’t have one, you can sign up right then and there. Make sure they have your valid email address.
2. Scan the membership card. Again, it’s 3081375 if they can’t find it.
3. Add any other items that you wish to purchase. You will receive 20% off of any new video games on this transaction. One of these has to be $39.99 or more BEFORE the discount to work.
4. Cashier totals the transaction and you are good to go.

Q: How long does it take for my account to be active so I can get all my benefits?
A: It can take up to 24 hours for this to fully process. Again, you’ll get the 20% off of new games (or 10% on preowned games) on that first transaction but the system won’t recognize your membership right away. So your 10% bonus on game trade-ins and any following purchases won’t see the discount right away. Up to 24 hours on this to process.

Q: Can I get my 10% bonus on game trade-ins right away? Does it automatically add to the trade-in transaction?
A: No, it can take up to 24 hours for this to fully process and link to your MyBestBuy account and show up in the trade-in system. Once it is linked and active, ALWAYS make sure to tell the associate processing the trade-in that you are a GCU member and that they add your account at the beginning of the transaction. There is a note on the screen that will instruct them to do so. The 10% applies to the base trade-in value of the game. Promotional values (i.e. 50% bonus on all game trade-ins) apply to the base value as well and are combinable with the GCU bonus. Bonuses are only applicable on in store trade-ins.  Also, there is a limit of 3 units per title, per platform per 12-month period.

For example, you are trading in Xbox One Call of Duty Ghosts. Base value is $20. You would get:  the base value of $20 + ($20 x 10% GCU bonus = $2) + ($20 x 50% promotional bonus = $10) = $32.00.

Q: I am currently a Gamers Club Unlocked member. Do I need to buy a game that is $39.99 before or after my 20% off discount to qualify for the $30 membership renewal?
A: Buying a game that is $39.99 before your 20% off discount will work with the promotion.

Q: Can I price match a game from another retailer and still get the $30 Gamers Club Unlocked promotion?
A: Yes as long as the game is $39.99 or above, but you won’t get the additional 20% off the price matched price. See full details on how GCU works with price matching below.

Q: Will buying a pre-owned game for $39.99 work with the $30 Gamers Club Unlocked promotion?
A: No, only brand new games are eligible.

Q: Do pre-orders work for this $30 Gamers Unlocked promotion?
A: Yes, as long as the promotion is still active by the time you pick up your game in-store. You can not put down a deposit and buy the $30 Gamers Unlocked subscription. It must take place when you pick up your game and that must be during the promotional period.

If you placed a preorder online (either to be shipped to your home or for in store pickup) and want to take advantage of this offer you would need to fulfil your preorder at the store and then immediately do a return/rebuy transaction.  You would rebuy the game and GCU membership, getting 20% off the game and the GCU membership for $30.

This does NOT affect your $10 preorder certificate if the game is in that promotion. See below for more detail on that promotion.

Q: Do system bundles like the Sunset Overdrive and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Xbox One bundles work with the $30 Gamers Club Unlocked promotion?
A: Yes. You can get the $30 promotional price for GCU, but there is no discount on the system.

Q: Can I get a full refund or partial refund at any time?
A: No, the subscription is non-refundable once purchased.

Q: Where can I view my Gamers Club Unlocked expiration date?
A: Log into your BestBuy.com account. Look for the rewards tab and click "overview".

Q: What is this welcome packet I keep hearing about?
A: Everyone that signs up or renews their Gamers Club Unlocked membership will get an email containing welcome coupons for use in-store. These coupons are emailed to you within 1-2 weeks after you sign up for Gamers Club Unlocked.

Q: Can I use the Gamers Club Unlocked discount online?
A: Yes, it works for both in-store and online. You just need to link your My Best Buy info with your BestBuy.com account. You will automatically see the discount in your cart once linked properly.

Q: Does Best Buy offer guaranteed release date delivery on pre-orders?
A: No, Best Buy does not offer guaranteed release day delivery on pre-orders. If you want to make sure you get your game on the day of release, in store pick up is available. You can have the game shipped to your home, delivery date has varied recently, sometimes on release date, sometimes later.

Q: Where can I learn more about the $10 reward certificate pre-order promotion?
A: http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/My-Best-Buy-quot-Get-10-quot-Gaming-Pre-Order-Offer/td-p/695766 or http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/317780-best-buy-10-reward-certificates-pre-order-promotion/?p=10946246

Q: Can I stack additional subscriptions on top of my current one?
A: Yes

Q: Are there limits to the amount of subscriptions I can stack?
A: No.

Q: Can I stack more than one subscription within minutes of each other?
A: Maybe. We are not 100% sure everything will work smoothly, so this isn't recommended.

More details about the overall program (i.e. what can I do, what can’t I do, limits, etc.):

Q: What are the benefits of My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked?
A: Gamers Club Unlocked benefits have been upgraded.
•Get 20% off new video games for 2 full years
•Get 2x base points on new video game software, digital content, and game accessories
•Get 2 points for every dollar when you trade-in games
•Get points on gaming consoles
•Redeem Reward Certificates on nearly everything at Best Buy, including special money-saving exclusive offers
•10% bonus trade-in credit on your video game software trade-ins
•10% off pre-owned games
•Buy two, get the third free on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon
•Save 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon

Q: How much does the My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked membership cost?
A: Purchasing the membership by itself costs $99.99 for 2-years of membership. [Effective 11/2/14]

Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?
A: Yes. Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limit.

Htz: You can buy an unlimited amount of games with your 20% off discount. The only restrictions are to not buy the same game (3) times per platform per year. Best Buy's online and in-store system will not prevent you from going over the limit for the same game. It is up to you to keep track of the games you are buying multiple times. Abusing this can result in the lost of your My Best Buy account (points/certificates) and Gamers Club Unlocked subscription.

Q: Does the 20% off only apply to new games on one console?
A: Nope, it applies to all new video games, including PC (with the exclusion of digital).  The more games you buy, the more money you save.  Game on.

Q: You’ve run promotions in the past where if you pre-order and purchase certain games at Best Buy you get $10 in reward certificates…Do those offers, and others like it also apply with the 20% discount on new video games?
A: Current offers stack atop one another.  That is to say, if you are eligible for reward certificates as a part of a promotion, you will get your 20% savings, and get the reward certificate too.  Here’s an example:

Josh pre-ordered Call of Duty: Ghosts for Xbox One, and is therefore eligible for $10 in reward certificates as a My Best Buy member.  Josh becomes a Gamers Club Unlocked member before he picks up his copy of Call of Duty Ghosts for Xbox One.  Josh gets 20% off his copy of Call of Duty: Ghosts for Xbox One, and will receive $10 in reward certificates for successfully completing the other $10 reward certificate promotion.  In this instance, Josh got $22 worth of benefits in one transaction.   

Q: If I have already pre-ordered games, will the 20% off be applied to those orders?
A: This will depend on whether you placed these pre-orders in-store or through BestBuy.com

•In-Store:
If you pre-ordered in-store, you will receive the 20% off benefit as long as you are an active Gamers Club Unlocked member when you pick up your pre-order. You will need to ensure your My Best Buy account is added to the purchase when the game is picked up.

•BestBuy.com:
If you pre-ordered on BestBuy.com for either Store Pickup or shipping, we are not able to add this benefit to your existing order. You will need to either cancel and re-do your pre-order or return and repurchase the game once it is fulfilled to get the 20% off. To receive this benefit going forward, you will need to ensure that you are signed in to your BestBuy.com account when you place an order and have your My Best Buy account linked to your BestBuy.com account.

Q: Can the 20% off benefit be combined with a price match?
A: At the time of purchase, you would receive either the price match or 20% off. You would not be able to receive 20% off of a matched price. If Best Buy's price is lowered during the return/exchange period, the price will be matched to the lower price (upon request). My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Members should receive the new price along with the 20% discount. This price match covers one price match per identical item per customer.

Q: Does the 20% off new video games come as a certificate, gift card, or other back end rebate?
A: You get 20% off immediately when you buy your new games.  Other promotions may deliver benefits on the back end, but not your 20% off.

Q: Does the 20% off stack with Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Clearance sales?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I still sign-up for an unpaid Gamers Club membership?
A: Yes, joining Gamers Club is free, and you can do so in-store.

All of these FAQs can also be found on the Best Buy Unboxed Forums here: http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club-Unlocked/td-p/723505

Full FAQs on Best Buy’s Trade-In Program can be found here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/null/pcmcat257100050022.c?id=pcmcat257100050022#howitworks&h=488

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured it was worth noting that if you purchased GCU for full price within the last 15 days, you should be able to go into Best Buy and price match the $30 price. whether or not you bought a game when you originally bought GCU. I guess YMMV, but it worked for me, no questions asked.

Ill just bring this up because a friend texted me this an hour ago

But he had just purchased GCU the day this went live with a game (as did I and im sure most people in here)

And said he went to the same best buy today to get another game and it didnt come up discounted. And that he was told that you can only buy one discounted game a month by the manager.

Any truth to this? Or can I just safely assume my friends retarded (which is my current assumption) ? 

Especially since I had no problem purchasing multiple other games online discounted with no problem.

Im only asking since I was strongly contemplating doing it again next week to extend my GCU 2 more years.

Thanks 

Ill just bring this up because a friend texted me this an hour ago

But he had just purchased GCU the day this went live with a game (as did I and im sure most people in here)

And said he went to the same best buy today to get another game and it didnt come up discounted. And that he was told that you can only buy one discounted game a month by the manager.

Any truth to this? Or can I just safely assume my friends retarded (which is my current assumption) ?

Especially since I had no problem purchasing multiple other games online discounted with no problem.

Im only asking since I was strongly contemplating doing it again next week to extend my GCU 2 more years.

Thanks
Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?
A: Yes. Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limit.

Also:

Q: How long does it take for my account to be active so I can get all my benefits?
A: It can take up to 24 hours for this to fully process. Again, you’ll get the 20% off of new games (or 10% on preowned games) on that first transaction but the system won’t recognize your membership right away. So your 10% bonus on game trade-ins and any following purchases won’t see the discount right away. Up to 24 hours on this to process.

The Gamers Club subscription itself counts as a gaming purchase, so it should provide 60 MyBB Rewards points (30+ 30 GCU bump). Just an FYI since it was asked about in the other thread.

@OP: Another question: Can I use GCU in a Black Friday doorbuster sale -- In-store of Online?
From what I remember last year, it does stack with Black Friday deals. I think it glitched in the beginning where it didn't stack but it was fixed later in the day. Dc delta should be able to confirm this in the morning when he gets on.

From what I remember last year, it does stack with Black Friday deals. I think it glitched in the beginning where it didn't stack but it was fixed later in the day. Dc delta should be able to confirm this in the morning when he gets on.
it only glitched the first day during the elite plus early access due to the coding. But once the sales was open to everyone it was fine.

Am I the only person that noticed that GCU is not $120 anymore based on next weeks ad? Maybe I missed it when they officially changed the price??

Am I the only person that noticed that GCU is not $120 anymore based on next weeks ad? Maybe I missed it when they officially changed the price??

A: Purchasing the membership by itself costs $99.99 for 2-years of membership.

Most of this FAQ is made by Dc Delta, and the above was answered by him. So yeah, it did drop by $20.

Most of this FAQ is made by Dc Delta, and the above was answered by him. So yeah, it did drop by $20.
Oh I know it did, but when did this happen?? I had no clue.

Probably this week, when they started the $30 promotion.
AH interesting, at least it didn't happen a while ago and I was just oblivious. I've talked a lot with DC Delta over the last year, so I was surprised I didn't notice, but now I feel better.

This is great news. How could any retailer even match Best Buy on a BF sale with GCU. It's like sale within a sale.

This is great news. How could any retailer even match Best Buy on a BF sale with GCU. It's like sale within a sale.
Yes this stacks with BF sales. It stacks with pretty much anything besides a price match/price override. Even if the game is on clearance and rings up without an override it will take 20% off automatically. Once a manual override occurs it blocks out ALL other discounts, even if you are matching a BBY price, but the store should allow you to do both, but that is up to the employee wanting to do their job properly.

Q: Does the 20% off stack with Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Clearance sales?

A: Yes.

Added the above to the FAQ. Thanks Saix for reminding me about clearance deals!

Just a little PSA that I'm sure most of us don't need: I guess chalk it up to the usual retail incompetence, but make sure that they enter your GCU account when doing trade-ins--y'know, once you have it.

Either the two different employees I'd gotten (1 an older lady I'd never seen before, but the other being a veteran employee I'd dealt with many times for other things) were separately havng bad days or else trade-ins wih paid GCU accounts is a rarity around my area because the older lady had bypassed it entirely and I caught it only when I was about to sign-off on the trade-in which lead to us having to do the entire process over from scratch, and the other girl apparently tried entering my numbers but eventually must've said screw it when I wasn't paying attention and I ended up losing out on a few bucks.

You would think that since it apparently prompts the employee before the trade-in begins (which I didn't realize before reading this faq) that one would actually ask to check if the customer has such an account AND seeing as I'm already standing there presenting them wth my license AND my BBY rewards account card that I might be doing such things for a reason but the automatic nature of skipping prompts must be too overpowering or something.

I don't know what goes on, but I figured I'd put out the warning in case it's not just the crew I'm stuck dealing with (they also royally screwed up an online in-store pickup order of a MS Currency card once, but that's a horrific story for another day...).

Just for clarification, the GCU club excludes digital purchases for consoles? So if I bought COD digitally I would not get any discount? Thx in advance...never mind..answered my own question...

With GCU, is there any discount or coupons for console or accessory discounts? I'm thinking about picking up a PS4 and maybe a *NEW* 3DS down the line.

@OP: Another question: Can I use GCU in a Black Friday doorbuster sale -- In-store of Online?
dc delta90 said:
Yep, your GCU discount will work with Black Friday deals.
^It's confirmed. :)

Just for clarification, the GCU club excludes digital purchases for consoles? So if I bought COD digitally I would not get any discount? Thx in advance...never mind..answered my own question...
Q: Does the 20% off only apply to new games on one console?
A: Nope, it applies to all new video games, including PC (with the exclusion of digital). The more games you buy, the more money you save. Game on.

Digital games on PC and consoles are excluded.

With GCU, is there any discount or coupons for console or accessory discounts? I'm thinking about picking up a PS4 and maybe a *NEW* 3DS down the line.
Q: What is this welcome packet I keep hearing about?
A: Everyone that signs up or renews their Gamers Club Unlocked membership will get an email containing welcome coupons for use in-store. These coupons are emailed to you within 1-2 weeks after you sign up for Gamers Club Unlocked.

No coupons for consoles/accessories but you do get a welcome coupon packet upon sign up/renewal.

Oops, my bad on this one. Price is still $119.99. Changing on 11/2. HTZ, could you please update the OP to state that for the next few days?

Thank you!

Oh cool, so you can extend your current GCU membership with this deal.  I just signed up for GCU a few days ago. 

Thinking about buying another $39.99 game and doing this deal again.

Just a little PSA that I'm sure most of us don't need: I guess chalk it up to the usual retail incompetence, but make sure that they enter your GCU account when doing trade-ins--y'know, once you have it.

Either the two different employees I'd gotten (1 an older lady I'd never seen before, but the other being a veteran employee I'd dealt with many times for other things) were separately havng bad days or else trade-ins wih paid GCU accounts is a rarity around my area because the older lady had bypassed it entirely and I caught it only when I was about to sign-off on the trade-in which lead to us having to do the entire process over from scratch, and the other girl apparently tried entering my numbers but eventually must've said screw it when I wasn't paying attention and I ended up losing out on a few bucks.

You would think that since it apparently prompts the employee before the trade-in begins (which I didn't realize before reading this faq) that one would actually ask to check if the customer has such an account AND seeing as I'm already standing there presenting them wth my license AND my BBY rewards account card that I might be doing such things for a reason but the automatic nature of skipping prompts must be too overpowering or something.

I don't know what goes on, but I figured I'd put out the warning in case it's not just the crew I'm stuck dealing with (they also royally screwed up an online in-store pickup order of a MS Currency card once, but that's a horrific story for another day...).
Make sure you contact customer service online to let them know. I emailed them because I had not received the added GCU percentage for any of my trades. They responded with a $75 reward card put in my account.

It has probably been mentioned somewhere, but if someone wants to get GCU for as little as possible (i.e. as close to, or under, $30), BB has Forza Horizon 2 as a deal of the day today @ $47.99 ($38.39 after GCU discount).  It trades back to BB for $40 ($44 after GCU bonus).

Is there a limit to the number of extensions or the number of years of membership?

Can GCU be purchased or extended multiple times within minutes as separate transactions, or is there a 24 hour processing time?

Is there a limit to the number of extensions or the number of years of membership?

Can GCU be purchased or extended multiple times within minutes as separate transactions, or is there a 24 hour processing time?
I haven't heard of a limit on the stacking. You can stack within minutes as separate transactions (I will ask Dc Delta about this but I have heard success from other CAGs).

Edit:

From Dc Delta:

Q: Are there limits to the amount of subscriptions I can stack?

A: No.

Q: Can I stack more than one subscription within minutes of each other?
A: Maybe. We are not 100% sure everything will work smoothly, so this isn't recommended.

Good FAQ. Would be helpful to address extension questions. Most important being whether a new two year clock starts with the GCU membership purchase or it extends your existing expiration.

I know it's the latter, but that should be addressed in the faq.

so i went to BB today, brought Civ:BE and the GCU card to the register. discount didn't ring up. the cashier calls gets someone to help. he didn't know what was wrong. someone else comes, he says pc games don't apply. i wasn't in the mood to argue, so i get something else. anyways, not happy. hopefully this kind of BS won't happen in the future.

so i went to BB today, brought Civ:BE and the GCU card to the register. discount didn't ring up. the cashier calls gets someone to help. he didn't know what was wrong. someone else comes, he says pc games don't apply. i wasn't in the mood to argue, so i get something else. anyways, not happy. hopefully this kind of BS won't happen in the future.
Should have worked. Were you signing up for the membership for the first time or were you already a member? Either way, need to make sure you have your MyBBY member number on the transaction first. PC games absolutely do qualify for the discount.

i already had a MyBB account, but the first time for GCU. i don't have a card, but i gave the cashier my phone number and confirmed my account details on the credit card machine before she rang up anything. so yeah, i know for sure they f'ed up. i'll get Beyond Earth next time, maybe if there's a sale...

[quote name="guessed" post="12201640" timestamp="1414854664"]It does not apply to digital, but there are plenty of errors on BB's website.[/quote]thanks for the reply.

Now I'm just wondering what's going to happen if major changes/cancellations of the GCU program occur.  I hope the GCU program stays the same or gets better over the years.

Read in the opening post that the deal for GCU for $30 was extended to the 16th.  I'm just curious as to how accurate this information is.  No games i currently want to buy but CoD:AW which isn't until next week.  I see no ad scans or the like.  Really don't want to miss the deal but also don't want to deal with buying and trading stuff in.

Im wondering, is the 3 games a year limit for 3 of the same game, or is it 3 games total (one console).  Don't really feel worth it if its only 3 games a year, seeing as most other games for other systems i want are prob around the $20 range.

Im wondering, is the 3 games a year limit for 3 of the same game, or is it 3 games total (one console). Don't really feel worth it if its only 3 games a year, seeing as most other games for other systems i want are prob around the $20 range.
Three per title per platform per year. CE and Limited Editions ($60/100/150 editions) all count as the same title, GotY do not.

Really dumb question but I want to be sure before I commit to this, you're only limited to 3 copies of the same game per year, right? Otherwise I can buy as many different games as I want?

Three per title per platform per year. CE and Limited Editions ($60/100/150 editions) all count as the same title, GotY do not.
alright that seems easier to understand. So 3 Copies of Cod on Xbox One, and then Im at my limit, but then I could still get Sunset at the discount price then.

When I first read the faqs it looked like it was 3 games total per console, but if its mullti games a year, just as long as long as I don't try to get 3 of the same, then ill be just fine.

Can I buy a 39.99 game and another 39.99 3ds game(b1g1 50% off) and buy GCU, then exchange one of the games for pokemon omega when it comes out?

bread's done
Back