* * * * - 27 votes

($6.99) Gamer's Club Unlocked Membership(+2 Year extension to current members) when you purchase and activate any cell phone. 11/2 - 11/8

#721 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4121 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Easy as pie. Got the GCU with a 7 dollar sim card. I even donated to St Jude I was in such a good mood.. I was just hoping they would give me 20% off the donation I made... I kid I kid.

#722 petrieslastword   MAGFest Charity Department CAGiversary!   1755 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

petrieslastword

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

I'm squarely in the camp of "I don't feel the need to extend my membership yet because these deals will be going on for a while." but damn if that SIM activation pack being part of the offer doesn't tempt the hell out of me.

I can't see any deal being easier than the 6 years I got with 3 sim cards for less than $25.  

#723 maximumzero   Seriously, quit it. CAGiversary!   4139 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

maximumzero

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

I can't see any deal being easier than the 6 years I got with 3 sim cards for less than $25.

Well, shiet. Guess I'm stopping by Best Buy after work today.

I even have that mystery $5 reward certificate I can throw at 'em to knock it down to like $3.

#724 petrieslastword   MAGFest Charity Department CAGiversary!   1755 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

petrieslastword

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

Well, shiet. Guess I'm stopping by Best Buy after work today.

I even have that mystery $5 reward certificate I can throw at 'em to knock it down to like $3.

Hey if you wanted to wait more power to you, but to get any cheaper they'd have to simply say "Free Gamer Club Unlocked for clicking "like" on Facebook".

Worst case with my 6 years is they do away with the program sooner and they credit me $100.  win-win.

#725 maximumzero   Seriously, quit it. CAGiversary!   4139 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

maximumzero

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hey if you wanted to wait more power to you, but to get any cheaper they'd have to simply say "Free Gamer Club Unlocked for clicking "like" on Facebook".

Worst case with my 6 years is they do away with the program sooner and they credit me $100.  win-win.

I don't think I'm going to stack on 6 years, but I might do 4 years if they have enough of the Sim card packages.

Of course knowing my luck they'll be sold out (or removed from the promo) by the time I get there this evening.

#726 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5726 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

I 100% agree with this statement. CAG should seriously consider having a paid membership. That would weed out any lurkers and people who don't partake adding any benefit to the site. My only fear is that regardless of a paid membership, someone will leak the info over to Slickdeals or a similar site.

Either way, I'd be all for a CAG membership... I think it's smart. You'd be paying for a privileged service. I'm all for that.

Not a great idea. Less people visiting the website means less people posting deals. Early on, the website has tried some ideas like that: you needed to create an account to view the forums, or you can view some of the pages free but would to need an account to see the rest. If they worked, that's what it'd still be.

Everyone who visits this site contributes by shopping through affiliate links, even if it's a few cents. If the website went premium, how many people would pay for it? Look at just this thread and you have some people still wondering if Best Buy's GCU is worth the $15.

#727 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:22 PM

I'm going to Best Buy today to pick up a new TV, and I want to do this Gamer's Club thing. I have my Reward Zone card.

I already know the steps:

1. Scan the Reward Zone card.
  2. Scan the Net10 Activation item.
  3. Scan the GCU card

Question... what are the steps to do it again? I mean... to extend the subscription do I have to show the GCU card instead of the regular Reward Zone card?

And also... do I have to wait before doing it again for the second time?

#728 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37687 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

I'm going to Best Buy today to pick up a new TV, and I want to do this Gamer's Club thing. I have my Reward Zone card.

I already know the steps:

1. Scan the Reward Zone card.
  2. Scan the Net10 Activation item.
  3. Scan the GCU card

Question... what are the steps to do it again? I mean... to extend the subscription do I have to show the GCU card instead of the regular Reward Zone card?

And also... do I have to wait before doing it again for the second time?

Your GCU is tied to your RewardZone/MyBestBuy card, so you don't have to do anything differently.

#729 irishsoccermbw   Banned Banned   6423 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

irishsoccermbw

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

Just bought the Net10 Sim card, can't believe they haven't killed this yet. 

#730 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Your GCU is tied to your RewardZone/MyBestBuy card, so you don't have to do anything differently.

Thanks, Vigilante!

#731 justinb90   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   12 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

This worked an hour ago at the Best Buy in Norman, Oklahoma. I bought a Net10 sim card and the 2 year GCU for $7.56.

#732 The iLL Funk Freaka   Crazy Person Banned   927 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

The iLL Funk Freaka

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

Why are people saying this deal will be shut down?  Is it not advertised in their weekly flyer?

Also, how does this work if I don't already have a Reward Zone or a GCU card?  Do I just ask the person at the register for the discounted membership?

#733 legendarydogs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1251 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

legendarydogs

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

I just did it, but I can't find where it says GCU on my best buy account. I went to account home and rewards overview and I see nothing.

#734 petrieslastword   MAGFest Charity Department CAGiversary!   1755 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

petrieslastword

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

Why are people saying this deal will be shut down?  Is it not advertised in their weekly flyer?

Deals that are misprinted in flyers get shut down all the time.  It's pretty clear the intention was for this to only work with activation of a phone.

#735 The iLL Funk Freaka   Crazy Person Banned   927 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

The iLL Funk Freaka

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

But the flyer doesn't seem misprinted to me, it says that it's free with the purchase and activation of any mobile phone, which means if it doesn't work, you can't even show them the ad and get them to make it work - unless I am missing something.

#736 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

I'm not saying it's OUR fault, obviously it was on slick deals, I mean we discuss the tips and tricks and how to get the most out of it and guests are learning all the exploits when we should keep that for like a closed private member forum, I dislike scavengers cuz they usually screw it up for real aficionados that can benefit from regular discounts that's all, no biggie

#737 petrieslastword   MAGFest Charity Department CAGiversary!   1755 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

petrieslastword

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

But the flyer doesn't seem misprinted to me, it says that it's free with the purchase and activation of any mobile phone, which means if it doesn't work, you can't even show them the ad and get them to make it work - unless I am missing something.

The deal works with any phone, and the obvious intention is for you to have to sign a contract and activate a phone.  It'll be shut down soon enough.

#738 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

I 100% agree with this statement. CAG should seriously consider having a paid membership. That would weed out any lurkers and people who don't partake adding any benefit to the site. My only fear is that regardless of a paid membership, someone will leak the info over to Slickdeals or a similar site. 

Either way, I'd be all for a CAG membership... I think it's smart. You'd be paying for a privileged service. I'm all for that.

Thanks for agreeing, but to the latter point, if we paid $5-25(a fair price range) each not only would people be less likely to leak as we all know if something's free people will share but if you charge only a buck they'll be sheisty, CAG membership fees could also be like set at rates to deter lurkers who only take our deals and never post themselves , like $5 for vets who've been here since PS3 days or 500 posts, $10 for 250 post or been here a year, and $20-25 for any new members, n finally there can be a free public area for non paying members to share those deals but they don't get our pro advice

This way we protect our deals, and we only keep or invite those willing to also participate in deal hunting sharing and posting

I really really think this should be discussed and voted on

#739 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

Uh, check the OP?

Uh, that is a useless reply, why would you say something that wasted your time and frankly is just a spiteful prickly reply when all you had to do was say "it's $X.00 because...." Because I obviously can read, got the deal, but I didn't undertand why a sim qualifies

#740 petrieslastword   MAGFest Charity Department CAGiversary!   1755 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

petrieslastword

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for agreeing, but to the latter point, if we paid $5-25(a fair price range) each not only would people be less likely to leak as we all know if something's free people will share but if you charge only a buck they'll be sheisty, CAG membership fees could also be like set at rates to deter lurkers who only take our deals and never post themselves , like $5 for vets who've been here since PS3 days or 500 posts, $10 for 250 post or been here a year, and $20-25 for any new members, n finally there can be a free public area for non paying members to share those deals but they don't get our pro advice

This way we protect our deals, and we only keep or invite those willing to also participate in deal hunting sharing and posting

This is absurd.  You do not want to deter new dealhunters just to protect supposed "vets".  It's crazy talk, and something I'm glad Cheapy has no interest in doing.

I've been here since 2006, longer than just about anyone, and your view would destroy the community, not help it.

#741 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4121 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:29 PM

That would be absolutely stupid. If you miss a deal or something gets shut down, then live with it. The whole point of this site is to spend as little money as possible, so charging us goes against every reason we are here.

#742 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   37687 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

Uh, that is a useless reply, why would you say something that wasted your time and frankly is just a spiteful prickly reply when all you had to do was say "it's $X.00 because...." Because I obviously can read, got the deal, but I didn't undertand why a sim qualifies

Sorry--my response was directed towards your question of why you didn't pay for GCU, since the OP specifies that GCU becomes free when you buy the phone.

#743 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

Guys... please, let's not fight.

Let's enjoy this deal in peace!

#744 NegativeCero  

NegativeCero

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

I assume there are free phones to go with the activation card? Or do I just need the card for $6.99? 

Sorry if this has been asked already.

#745 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

I assume there are free phones to go with the activation card? Or do I just need the card for $6.99? 

Sorry if this has been asked already.

You just need the activation card for $6.99.

#746 ghost1914  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

Horrible horrible idea. I would not pay money on a website just to see deals. I would find a new website.

#747 MillerTime2523   FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND CAGiversary!   8550 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

MillerTime2523

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

The deal works with any phone, and the obvious intention is for you to have to sign a contract and activate a phone.  It'll be shut down soon enough.

You realize this deal has been active since Sunday, right? It's probably going to stay active until the new weekly ad comes out

#748 petrieslastword   MAGFest Charity Department CAGiversary!   1755 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

petrieslastword

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

You realize this deal has been active since Sunday, right? It's probably going to stay active until the new weekly ad comes out

I do realize that, but people weren't doing it with clearance SIM cards and then returning them after on Sunday.

It's gotten out of hand enough now that I expect it'll be nuked.

#749 The iLL Funk Freaka   Crazy Person Banned   927 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

The iLL Funk Freaka

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Wait, what?  You can just return the card after you buy it too and still keep the GCU membership?  That's crazy!

#750 cancerman1120   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10857 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

cancerman1120

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

Well now I see why there are so many responses.  I need to learn that when a "deal" like this has so many responses that it is something I may want to look into.  Guess I am stopping by Best Buy after work.