What do you think about renting video games?

cheapskake

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Many, many moons ago, I rented a PS1 from Movie Gallery (anyone remember them?) and it was fun.

That's all I have to say... about that.

I don't actually! Was it before Hollywood video and blockbuster? Was it pretty convenient for you? Would you be up for renting a console from someone near you? (maybe a fellow CAG) 

Its gotten too expensive. Before it was like $5 was a week for a Snes or sega game. Even during ps1 64 era it wasn't too bad. Now it's only what redbox? With a tiny selection and $2.25 a day?

I don't actually! Was it before Hollywood video and blockbuster? Was it pretty convenient for you? Would you be up for renting a console from someone near you? (maybe a fellow CAG)
Perhaps they were a regional company, but Hollywood and Blockbuster were still popular around the same time. I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time, so convenience was irrelevant. I would've swam through a shark infested pool, surrounded by blue flames to play Metal Gear Solid and, as it didn't come with a memory card, I had to play through the game in one sitting over the course of the weekend. From what I recall, we had to put down a sizable deposit to walk out the door with the system, but did get it back a day or so after it was returned and inspected. These days, as consoles move closer and closer to being PCs, limited as they may be, it'd be a hard sell, IMHO anyway, to either loan or rent out a console. Maybe others here feel differently, but it'd be like letting someone borrow my underwear. I know that's a weird analogy.

Don't rent games to and from your friends, that's pretty scummy.

I guess it works for some people, considering some people stay up all night doing nothing but play video games. I can't rent because it took me a year to finish Arkham City, and four months for Asylum.

I'll rent when it's appropriate. Like when I just want to try a game out or I know I'll have the time to blow through it in a weekend. Typically I stick to the buy/re-sell plan. I prefer to play games at my own pace and sometimes go days  or weeks without playing, which is why I don't use services like Gamefly.

Although this probably doesn't address what you are asking. Are you trying to set up a system where people swap/rent games/consoles from each other?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back