Amiibos

I hear they're a big collector item, I never had interest in getting any myself though. 

Club Nintendo/Amiibo idea...make a platinum Mario amiibo figure for the platinum reward next year, make it interface with the eshop to give it's owner a 10% discount on all eshop purchases...you could also make a gold version for gold members and pair that with a 5% discount on eshop purchases...they could also retail Black Box Themed Amiibo figures that unlock a free download of their original Nes title...this would create excitement around Amiibo and NA Club Nintendo with their most loyal customers...what do you think? Good idea? Technically possible?

I have 5 preordered:

Mario

Link

Yoshi

Pikachu

Kirby

And thanks to polis, I believe I will order 3 more right now... lol thanks bruh!!!

*Edit* Just ordered:

Marth

Luigi

Captain Falcon

For a total for $32.10 shipped!! Thanks bruh!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How will it work if I order 2 available now and 1 available later? I really want Luigi to be my 3rd, but don't want to have to wait for the first two... I'd also like to do in store pick up if possible. Anyone know how this might work? I guess I'd be ok with them shipping 2 now and 1 later, but ideally I'd like to pick up the 2 now and 3rd one later.

Club Nintendo/Amiibo idea...make a platinum Mario amiibo figure for the platinum reward next year, make it interface with the eshop to give it's owner a 10% discount on all eshop purchases...you could also make a gold version for gold members and pair that with a 5% discount on eshop purchases...they could also retail Black Box Themed Amiibo figures that unlock a free download of their original Nes title...this would create excitement around Amiibo and NA Club Nintendo with their most loyal customers...what do you think? Good idea? Technically possible?
I don't see that happening, especially after what happened this year. Only giving you a month to redeem your reward which is complete BS!!!!!!!!

I saw a display at BBY earlier, they look pretty neat. We will see if the compulsive buyer in me stays inside.

I have no desire to get any.  The representation of quality does not look the same as when first announced and I learned that Amiibo's can only save data for one game at a time.  I'm not buying 5 Link Amiibo's at $13 each for 5 different Nintendo games.

Smash Bros is the only game that needs to save data to them, every other game they just unlock stuff, but you still keep your Smash Bros data yo.

Picked up Link, Peach, Samus, Kirby, Pikachu, and Wii Fit Trainer today. The quality is actually pretty good. Link's face is fine, though the seams on DK's and Yoshi's faces are pretty bad. Did not see any Marth's at either BB or TRU.

Ended up getting a different 5 than I had originally planned (though still think that's too many - I'm a terrible consumer). Of course Toys R Us has decided my online order is not delayed, so I'll have to return those once they arrive.

Overall, quality appears very good. You'll have to pick and choose if you want perfect painted features, but no glaring issues evident. My online preorder included Samus, but while the figure overall is nice-looking, I don't like the scale - she just seems too skinny relative to the others. 

At Toys R Us, I ended up with Mario (great figure, love the radiant paint detail on his stomach and legs, pointed out in the Kotaku review), Fox (not a big fan of Star Fox in general, but the figure is exciting), and Donkey Kong (again, not a huge fan of the character overall, but the figure looks amazing and has some serious apparent weight - I have a feeling the same will go for Bowser and other larger characters they do). DK might be one to be exchanged/returned/sold if I get any buyer's remorse since I don't tend to get character figures just because they look good. I was debating between DK and Yoshi, but while Yoshi overall is decent and I might change my mind later, I'm not really feeling it. Could be due to more obvious seams between parts (head -> nose in particular) or he's just kinda boring.

Marth was sold out, there were a few villagers left, the stock of the rest was plentiful.

At Best Buy, they didn't even have a peg out for Marth, probably because they presold out (I had ordered for in-store pickup earlier in the week). They didn't have nearly the shelf space as TRU, but that's not too surprising. 

Frankly I think this is where all the close-ups we saw earlier were overly critical. Marth may or may not have extreme anime eyes, but unless you're taking 10x close-ups, you're not seeing it. The eyes are like 1mm, and they look like eyes. Detail on the boots, cape, etc. is really fantastic. Link looks nice, and I'm pretty sure his tunic is a separate piece of material, not just molded on top of his undershirt. 

The colored bases are still kinda silly, but DK's is almost transparent, the blue for Fox blends right into his blue packaging (so will be more obvious when out of the box), and yeah, Link's yellow is still yellow. But it's a thin rectangular support, so won't be terribly visible from a distance.

Upon closer inspection, the figure I dislike the most so far is Pikachu. I think with it having dozens of Tomy figures in various poses and with a glossy finish, while the amiibo is just standing up and with a flat finish, make the figure look boring.

The impulsive buyer in me came out and I brought 4 so far. Marth, Killager, Link, and Wii Fit Trainer. Planning to buy the whole first wave, but after I can rebuild some trade credit after this crazy week of releases.

I'm most looking forward to the 2nd and 3rd waves.

I definitely broke down today and bought whatever came out pretty much two of each but one set will be opened the other set will be in the package for collection reasons. I can't wait for the other figures to come out especially looking at that bowser one (out of all of them I think his figure outshines them all). Is there some kind of encasing kind of like how disney infinity had their figures in? I hope they do come out with a product like that soon.

Picked up all 12 of the first wave today.  Had to go two a few different stores to get them all but I ended up finding them all.  For those curious, I found Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager at Target and the rest at Best Buy.  I went to three Best Buys and none had Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager but the two Targets I went to had plenty, but limited in other characters.  If you are planning on getting all of them, you'll probably have to go to different retailers to do so.

I bought five yesterday (Mario, DK, Peach, Yoshi, and Villager) and returned all of them but Mario today. The figure quality seemed great overall, but the lack of functionality made me rethink the purchase. I would have kept Villager except I don't like how big they printed his eyes.

I'm taking DK back (probably needing to return all three at TRU) and just getting Mario and Fox at Best Buy.  As nice a figure as it is, I don't really care enough about him to have him take up shelf space.

Wanted to get at least one so I picked up Peach, mainly for my daughter. The quality of the figure is actually really good. Already leveled her up to 50 in Smash.

Don't think I'll get another one till Mega Man. Maybe Shulk... maybe...

Smash is the main reason right now, but several of the figures unlock additional costumes in Mario Kart 8, Link unlocks a new weapon in Hyrule Warriors, the other figures give you extra materials and rupees in Hyrule Warriors, and they have been confirmed to work in Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

So pretty much you are wasting $13 on nothing special?
I understand if it's not your thing but if anything it's just a really high quality Happy Meal.

Since one Amiibo can be used for multipe games it's worth having at least one just to see what it does/unlocks in future titles or updates to existing games like Smash.

So pretty much you are wasting $13 on nothing special?
I think the idea is to emulate Skylanders and Disney Infinity. But thus far, I don't see the appeal since all they do is unlock "skins". I'm guessing Nintendo was going to do more with them but realized that their loyalist fans are gonna buy them even if they did nothing.

Not gonna lie, I do think they're neat but I have a hard time justifying $13 (or even $10) on Happy Meal toys... unless/until they actually make use of them for something more.

This is the problem I have with the amiibos. Not good enough content to justify spending $13 on them (I'm looking at it from a gamer/consumer standpoint). $13 for a harder leveled CPU in smash? No thanks.

They do more then "unlock skins". You level up fighters in smash.
Huh, I wasn't aware. Pre-release, all I saw was that they unlocked skins and would other things in the future, guess that meant Smash Bros.

With these modifications, amiibo figurines can level up as they fight more often, up to a level of 50; as they gain levels, amiibo can potentially "learn" techniques from other characters, as well as gain improved fighting statistics. amiibo can be used on any copy of the game, and the character on the amiibo is tied to the figurine, allowing for players to use its customized moveset wherever they desire.
This is actually pretty neat, but still kinda works out to a fancier memory card save functionality. What would be cool is those features carried into other games... like maybe, your leveled amiibo could be used in Hyrule Warriors to "create" an in-game version (ie, taking your Samus amiibo that's level/trained in Smash Bros and use it as a playable character in Hyrule Warrior) or in some future Pokemon game (meaning just Pikachu for now).

Does anyone know if Nintendo has announced anything about non-Smash amiibo figurines yet?

But playing the actual game will level up fighters too. $13 times 10 or however many there are seems a bit much.

Plus they are releasing a new series ever month without having an actual plan.

They plan on releasing one for every fighter.

While Nintendo would certainly not mind if you buy them all, the main idea is to only buy 2 or 3.

The amiibos also collect items as they fight, including clothing and custom moves.

But playing the actual game will level up fighters too. $13 times 10 or however many there are seems a bit much.

Plus they are releasing a new series ever month without having an actual plan.
Who says they don't have a plan? I'm sure they do, they're just not saying at the moment.

In Smash you feed them items and level them up to your tastes. For example I have Peach and I'm feeding her items to level up her speed. She's actually quite annoying. Getting them up to level 50 actually doesn't take that long. And them getting items is cool too.

But yeah, I don't understand some of these people who are buying them all.

I've been unable to find Marth anywhere. I've seen all the other ones though, almost picked up Villager, but then I realized that I don't plan on buying them all and out of the ones currently out I have Link and Samus already. I want Marth and will get Little Mac, Mega Man, and Sonic in the future for sure. 

bread's done
Back