Is Canada even doing Black Friday this year?

Slayer15

CAGiversary!
Other than Amazon, not a single retailer is saying anything about it. I know it'a not until the 28th, but I would have thought they would at least be talking about, maybe releasing some flyers. Most retailer flyers are using their Christmas theme now, and it seems strange that they would start doing that before they release Black Friday flyers. Do I just need to wait longer, or did Canadian retailers decide not to do it this year?

They advertise it earlier and make a bigger deal out of it in the US. Here we won't find out about it more than a few days in advance most likely. Isn't Boxing Day still a bigger deal here also?

They advertise it earlier and make a bigger deal out of it in the US. Here we won't find out about it more than a few days in advance most likely. Isn't Boxing Day still a bigger deal here also?
Yeah, Boxing Day is huge, but there were still good deals for Black Friday last year.

I'm looking to buy a good xbox one bundle this year. I'm hoping black Friday has a good deal, so I don't have to wait until boxing day.

I remember Canadian Black Friday being better than Boxing Day last year, though that might just be because the last few Boxing Days have been pretty tame.

If you go to Smart Canucks, there are a few retailers who have already had their Black Friday flyers leaked.  From the looks of them, the deals are hot street trash.  Very disappointing in my mind, especially after seeing the US flyers. 

Wal mart has a 3ds xl bundle that have never been released in this region. Price is unknown, but it is good for those who collect them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metrotown Mall in Vancouver is advertising it, so I imagine some places in the mall will do something. I'm holding out for Cyber Monday. Don't want to go nuts with physical media any more. 

It looks like most stores will have sales and I think we just have to wait. Hopefully they start sending out flyers later this week.

You're talking about the Persona Q bundle, right ?
No. It's a New Super Mario Bros. 2 Bundle that was never released in north america.
gold_nintendo_3ds_xl_2.jpg

The price may not be correct here in Canada.

Game wise I'm not sure, but I've seen a lot of laptops and computer accessories on sale recently.

Target's flyer is up.

$350 Assassin's Creed Unity XBOX One Bundle w/ $50 Target GC

$450 PS4 Bundles (Lego Batman 3 + Little Big Planet 3 or The Last of Us Remastered + GTA V)

$99 Red Nintendo 2DS w/ Yoshi's New Island

$15:

Killzone Shadows Fall or Infamous Second Son for PS4

The Last of Us for PS3

The Lego Movie or Call of Duty Ghosts for XBOX 360

$20:

Watch Dogs for PS4

Just Dance 2015 for Wii

$30:

Alien Isolation and The Evil Within for PS4

Sleeping Dogs for the PS3

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for XBOX 360

I only posted the system pictured but my assumption is if a game is on sale, at the very least the opposite system in the same generation will be the same price.  IE The Lego Movie for XBOX 360 for $15, my assumption is at least the PS3 version will also me $15.  Although who knows about PS4/XBOX One.

Target's flyer is up.

$350 Assassin's Creed Unity XBOX One Bundle w/ $50 Target GC

$450 PS4 Bundles (Lego Batman 3 + Little Big Planet 3 or The Last of Us Remastered + GTA V)

$99 Red Nintendo 2DS w/ Yoshi's New Island

$15:

Killzone Shadows Fall or Infamous Second Son for PS4

The Last of Us for PS3

The Lego Movie or Call of Duty Ghosts for XBOX 360

$20:

Watch Dogs for PS4

Just Dance 2015 for Wii

$30:

Alien Isolation and The Evil Within for PS4

Sleeping Dogs for the PS3

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for XBOX 360

I only posted the system pictured but my assumption is if a game is on sale, at the very least the opposite system in the same generation will be the same price. IE The Lego Movie for XBOX 360 for $15, my assumption is at least the PS3 version will also me $15. Although who knows about PS4/XBOX One.
Is that for Black Friday or this weekend?

Yeah I might try to get the Xbone but I feel like it will be sold out. Hopefully Walmart or EB Games has a good sale so I can get one friday.

I bought my 360 slim for $100 on kijiji with 2 controllers ( tho one's buttons are really rough )

should have no problem selling it on there.

if i could trade my 360 i would. BUT  i cannot cause it's the OLD system. i'm talking the Xbox 360 Core System i got from walmart when they had a deal on them and Microsoft was doing away with it it came with Kameo and Project Gotham Racing 3.  anyways  yeah .. if i could i would trade it in for $1000 for PS4 but ah well.  most like i'll get $30 for it >.>

if i could i would trade it in for $1000 for PS4 but ah well. most like i'll get $30 for it >.>
Pretty sure everyone would do that if they could. ;)

I'm not really in the market for a One right now, even though that's a great deal. I'm still waiting for more games. Some of the deals on individual games are pretty nice, but I don't think I want to wade into black Friday crowds just for a couple $20 games.

I'm going to keep my eye on Best Buy's flyer for deals on speakers and subwoofers though! Gotta complete the game den! :)

I wish teh x1 came with Master Chief collection and sunset override. I'd be all over that! I have unity and black flag already for ps4.

I know nobody probably cares, but I'm going to post my terrible experience with Wal-mart customer service with regards to the Wii U bundle deal. 

I bought a Wii U on Oct. 29th as a Christmas present. It occurred to me that by the time Christmas came, the 30 day return window would be passed, so if there ended up being something wrong with the Wii U, I wouldn't be able to return it. I decided I was going to return and re-buy the (unopened) Wii U, so that my return window would go another 30 days, and include Christmas day. When I saw this deal, I figured I would also pick up Wind Waker when I re-bought the Wii U so that I could get the bundle. 

I walked up to lady 1. I explained the situation (excluding the Wind Waker part, I was going to tell her that later to avoid confusion). I expected no issues, why would there be? When i finish explaining, she laughs like it's a ridiculous request, and asks her superior if she can do it (lady 2). Lady 2 looks at me, and says "No"in a rude, fat old lady way. That's all she says, no explanation. I say "What's wrong with that?" She says "Maybe if it was defective, but otherwise, no" I said "Well, I could just return it and go get another one off the shelf and buy it, so what's the difference?" Lady 2 decided she doesn't want to deal with me anymore, and tells Lady 1 to ask a manager. Lady 1 calls the manager over the phone, and says it's OK. So, Lady 1 starts the process, and I figured now was the time to tell her I wanted to get Wind Waker with it because of the Black Friday bundle. Lady 3, who wasn't a part of this at all, says "You have to go to electronics to get the bundle." I think "Ok, that's fine" so I ask "How should I proceed?" (as in, should I take it down to electronics, or are they going to call someone over). Lady 3 tells Lady 1 to call electronics. Then Lady 3 returns to what she was doing and mutters "Although, it's cheating the system". I couldn't believe it, now I'm taking shit from not one, but two ladies. I ask her "Why's that?" Does she explain? No, she just repeats what she said, only rephrased "It's a major scam of the system." At this point, all I can say it "I don't agree", I'm to dumbfounded that this is even happening. Meanwhile, Lady 1 is working on the process, so I just ask "Would it be easier if I just return this outright, and go buy another one?" to which she replies "yes". So that's what I went and did.

I went over the ordeal in my head several times. The only explanation I can think of is that Lady 2 and 3 didn't realize that the system I was returning was new and unopened, they may have thought it was used. If they were paying attention, they would have known that because I clearly said it was a Christmas present. Even if they did think it was used, they both had an oppurtunity to clear up the misunderstabding. Instead of Lady 2 saying "No" (real helpful) she could have explained her reasoning that I can't return a used system, and then re-buy for an extra 30 days. At that point, I could have said "Oh, it's new, I haven't opened it". But she chose to he rude and unhelpgul instead. For Lady 3, instead of just repeating her statement that it's a scam when I asked for clarification, she could have explained why she thinks it's a scam, that I can't return a used system, then buy a new one and get the bundle. If she had said that, then again, I could have cleared up the misunderstanding. 

I don't see how they could have thought it was used though. Why would I re-buy the same used system, and not just return it outright if that was the case? My mistake was assuming they could handle something other than the usual mundane return/exchange.

I was so pissed, I just had to talk about it. Even if no one reads this, it was worth writing.

I know nobody probably cares, but I'm going to post my terrible experience with Wal-mart customer service with regards to the Wii U bundle deal.

I bought a Wii U on Oct. 29th as a Christmas present. It occurred to me that by the time Christmas came, the 30 day return window would be passed, so if there ended up being something wrong with the Wii U, I wouldn't be able to return it. I decided I was going to return and re-buy the (unopened) Wii U, so that my return window would go another 30 days, and include Christmas day. When I saw this deal, I figured I would also pick up Wind Waker when I re-bought the Wii U so that I could get the bundle.

I walked up to lady 1. I explained the situation (excluding the Wind Waker part, I was going to tell her that later to avoid confusion). I expected no issues, why would there be? When i finish explaining, she laughs like it's a ridiculous request, and asks her superior if she can do it (lady 2). Lady 2 looks at me, and says "No"in a rude, fat old lady way. That's all she says, no explanation. I say "What's wrong with that?" She says "Maybe if it was defective, but otherwise, no" I said "Well, I could just return it and go get another one off the shelf and buy it, so what's the difference?" Lady 2 decided she doesn't want to deal with me anymore, and tells Lady 1 to ask a manager. Lady 1 calls the manager over the phone, and says it's OK. So, Lady 1 starts the process, and I figured now was the time to tell her I wanted to get Wind Waker with it because of the Black Friday bundle. Lady 3, who wasn't a part of this at all, says "You have to go to electronics to get the bundle." I think "Ok, that's fine" so I ask "How should I proceed?" (as in, should I take it down to electronics, or are they going to call someone over). Lady 3 tells Lady 1 to call electronics. Then Lady 3 returns to what she was doing and mutters "Although, it's cheating the system". I couldn't believe it, now I'm taking shit from not one, but two ladies. I ask her "Why's that?" Does she explain? No, she just repeats what she said, only rephrased "It's a major scam of the system." At this point, all I can say it "I don't agree", I'm to dumbfounded that this is even happening. Meanwhile, Lady 1 is working on the process, so I just ask "Would it be easier if I just return this outright, and go buy another one?" to which she replies "yes". So that's what I went and did.

I went over the ordeal in my head several times. The only explanation I can think of is that Lady 2 and 3 didn't realize that the system I was returning was new and unopened, they may have thought it was used. If they were paying attention, they would have known that because I clearly said it was a Christmas present. Even if they did think it was used, they both had an oppurtunity to clear up the misunderstabding. Instead of Lady 2 saying "No" (real helpful) she could have explained her reasoning that I can't return a used system, and then re-buy for an extra 30 days. At that point, I could have said "Oh, it's new, I haven't opened it". But she chose to he rude and unhelpgul instead. For Lady 3, instead of just repeating her statement that it's a scam when I asked for clarification, she could have explained why she thinks it's a scam, that I can't return a used system, then buy a new one and get the bundle. If she had said that, then again, I could have cleared up the misunderstanding.

I don't see how they could have thought it was used though. Why would I re-buy the same used system, and not just return it outright if that was the case? My mistake was assuming they could handle something other than the usual mundane return/exchange.

I was so pissed, I just had to talk about it. Even if no one reads this, it was worth writing.
No to be mean to you but you are giving a lot of credit to someone who works at Wal-mart.

You are right, in any situation the best thing to do is play it nice and easy. Tell them you wish to return it unopened. Get the refund then walk over the electronics and buy it. The less they would know the easier, the manager obviously understood but the simple workers/supervisors are useless. Especially not at the electronics department.

Also had terrible experiences at WalMart.

No to be mean to you but you are giving a lot of credit to someone who works at Wal-mart.

The less they would know the easier, the manager obviously understood but the simple workers/supervisors are useless. Especially not at the electronics department.

Also had terrible experiences at WalMart.
You're definitely right about that. I don't understand why it was so hard for them to comprehend, it was a simple request. I thought about complaining to a manager, but I figured he wouldn't give a shit.

Friday November 28th-Thursday December 4th

[attachment=10185:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416894498.330405.jpg]

Xbox one assassins creed bundle on sale PLUS 150 bonus air miles (for this with parents who collect or collect themselves.) regular price $399.99 on sale for $349.97

[attachment=10186:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416894516.782165.jpg]

Cheap 3ds games? Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3d Land. Regular price $34.99 on sale for $19.97

I took these screenshots from a flyer app called Flipp. If you want to see the full flyer download the app and enter your postal code and you can search for key items and it brings up the flyers of all stores advertising these items. I personally just got a ds and am looking for games so I searched "nintendo". Or just go to the toys r us website 😜

Nope, not a scam of the system. Often if a price is lower, or there is a better deal within a month or so, they would have no problem making the change. Sounds like these reps were just useless.

My experience with Wal-Mart was a little better (at least for me). I had gone in to get the Wii U with Donkey Kong (so the kids could play together). No Donkey Kong, so I grabbed Wind Waker instead. When the cashier was ringing it up she noticed it didn't remove the cost of the game, so she called a CSM to clear the charge. After this was done she pushed it through and THEN the discount was applied. So essentially I got the Wii U and Wind Waker for $249 plus tax. I'm not sure if the cashier noticed or not, but I didn't say anything. Normally I would but A) It's Wal-Mart and B) funds are tight enough as it is this time of year.

Nope, not a scam of the system. Often if a price is lower, or there is a better deal within a month or so, they would have no problem making the change. Sounds like these reps were just useless.

My experience with Wal-Mart was a little better (at least for me). I had gone in to get the Wii U with Donkey Kong (so the kids could play together). No Donkey Kong, so I grabbed Wind Waker instead. When the cashier was ringing it up she noticed it didn't remove the cost of the game, so she called a CSM to clear the charge. After this was done she pushed it through and THEN the discount was applied. So essentially I got the Wii U and Wind Waker for $249 plus tax. I'm not sure if the cashier noticed or not, but I didn't say anything. Normally I would but A) It's Wal-Mart and B) funds are tight enough as it is this time of year.
Good deal. Almost as good as when I was at Best Buy and bought 2 $40 games, but somehow, the cashier only scanned one and didn't notice, so I got both for $40. Also, Wal-Mart not having stock of Donkey Kong may have been a good thing. I'm not sure how skilled your kids are at games, but Donkey Kong is very hard and frustrating. Even people who review games for a living find it hard.

Are there any PS Vita deals anywhere? I was planning on picking one up on Black Friday.

Wow, this is disappointing. Most of these deals are the same as last year. Like the 3DS games, basically the same games that were on sale last year for $20.

The only new addition is Theatrhythm.

Best Buy/Futureshops deal on Watch Dogs and Diablo III is meh, considering Shoppers Drug Mart has both for $19.99.

Not sure what deals you guys were expecting. 20$ first party nintendo games. 20$ PS4 exclusives (infamous, kill zone etc), new releases for 20-40$ (evil within,alien, sunset overdrive is 44.99) controllers for 39.99. Watchdogs for next gen for 20$. Lots of things that haven't been this low as of yet.

It's much better than last year and better than any BF dealswise in Canada that I can remember.

They did have $30 PS Plus subs on Amazon last year. Or was that boxing day? Either way, wait for boxing day.

Not sure what deals you guys were expecting. 20$ first party nintendo games. 20$ PS4 exclusives (infamous, kill zone etc), new releases for 20-40$ (evil within,alien, sunset overdrive is 44.99) controllers for 39.99. Watchdogs for next gen for 20$. Lots of things that haven't been this low as of yet.

It's much better than last year and better than any BF dealswise in Canada that I can remember.
You can already get all of those games (minus the current games) for $19.99 already at Shoppers Drug Mart. Infamous/Diablo III/Watch Dogs/etc.

Also, those are the same 3DS games that were on sale last year for the same prices. If I remember correctly, when Target was doing their huge clearance on games during the summer. They had Ps4 controllers for those prices I believe.

Let's not forget about Staples huge video game clearance. So yeah, this is pretty weak compared to those imo. If you missed these things, or don't own any of those 3DS games, then by all means get them now.

bread's done
Back