- - - - -

Is Canada even doing Black Friday this year?

#31 Keel4n  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:42 PM

I wish teh x1 came with Master Chief collection and sunset override. I'd be all over that! I have unity and black flag already for ps4.

#32 Slayer15   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Slayer15

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

I know nobody probably cares, but I'm going to post my terrible experience with Wal-mart customer service with regards to the Wii U bundle deal. 

I bought a Wii U on Oct. 29th as a Christmas present. It occurred to me that by the time Christmas came, the 30 day return window would be passed, so if there ended up being something wrong with the Wii U, I wouldn't be able to return it. I decided I was going to return and re-buy the (unopened) Wii U, so that my return window would go another 30 days, and include Christmas day. When I saw this deal, I figured I would also pick up Wind Waker when I re-bought the Wii U so that I could get the bundle. 

I walked up to lady 1. I explained the situation (excluding the Wind Waker part, I was going to tell her that later to avoid confusion). I expected no issues, why would there be? When i finish explaining, she laughs like it's a ridiculous request, and asks her superior if she can do it (lady 2). Lady 2 looks at me, and says "No"in a rude, fat old lady way. That's all she says, no explanation. I say "What's wrong with that?" She says "Maybe if it was defective, but otherwise, no" I said "Well, I could just return it and go get another one off the shelf and buy it, so what's the difference?" Lady 2 decided she doesn't want to deal with me anymore, and tells Lady 1 to ask a manager. Lady 1 calls the manager over the phone, and says it's OK. So, Lady 1 starts the process, and I figured now was the time to tell her I wanted to get Wind Waker with it because of the Black Friday bundle. Lady 3, who wasn't a part of this at all, says "You have to go to electronics to get the bundle." I think "Ok, that's fine" so I ask "How should I proceed?" (as in, should I take it down to electronics, or are they going to call someone over). Lady 3 tells Lady 1 to call electronics. Then Lady 3 returns to what she was doing and mutters "Although, it's cheating the system". I couldn't believe it, now I'm taking shit from not one, but two ladies. I ask her "Why's that?" Does she explain? No, she just repeats what she said, only rephrased "It's a major scam of the system." At this point, all I can say it "I don't agree", I'm to dumbfounded that this is even happening. Meanwhile, Lady 1 is working on the process, so I just ask "Would it be easier if I just return this outright, and go buy another one?" to which she replies "yes". So that's what I went and did.

I went over the ordeal in my head several times. The only explanation I can think of is that Lady 2 and 3 didn't realize that the system I was returning was new and unopened, they may have thought it was used. If they were paying attention, they would have known that because I clearly said it was a Christmas present. Even if they did think it was used, they both had an oppurtunity to clear up the misunderstabding. Instead of Lady 2 saying "No" (real helpful) she could have explained her reasoning that I can't return a used system, and then re-buy for an extra 30 days. At that point, I could have said "Oh, it's new, I haven't opened it". But she chose to he rude and unhelpgul instead. For Lady 3, instead of just repeating her statement that it's a scam when I asked for clarification, she could have explained why she thinks it's a scam, that I can't return a used system, then buy a new one and get the bundle. If she had said that, then again, I could have cleared up the misunderstanding. 

I don't see how they could have thought it was used though. Why would I re-buy the same used system, and not just return it outright if that was the case? My mistake was assuming they could handle something other than the usual mundane return/exchange.

I was so pissed, I just had to talk about it. Even if no one reads this, it was worth writing.

#33 Keel4n  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

I know nobody probably cares, but I'm going to post my terrible experience with Wal-mart customer service with regards to the Wii U bundle deal. 

I bought a Wii U on Oct. 29th as a Christmas present. It occurred to me that by the time Christmas came, the 30 day return window would be passed, so if there ended up being something wrong with the Wii U, I wouldn't be able to return it. I decided I was going to return and re-buy the (unopened) Wii U, so that my return window would go another 30 days, and include Christmas day. When I saw this deal, I figured I would also pick up Wind Waker when I re-bought the Wii U so that I could get the bundle. 

I walked up to lady 1. I explained the situation (excluding the Wind Waker part, I was going to tell her that later to avoid confusion). I expected no issues, why would there be? When i finish explaining, she laughs like it's a ridiculous request, and asks her superior if she can do it (lady 2). Lady 2 looks at me, and says "No"in a rude, fat old lady way. That's all she says, no explanation. I say "What's wrong with that?" She says "Maybe if it was defective, but otherwise, no" I said "Well, I could just return it and go get another one off the shelf and buy it, so what's the difference?" Lady 2 decided she doesn't want to deal with me anymore, and tells Lady 1 to ask a manager. Lady 1 calls the manager over the phone, and says it's OK. So, Lady 1 starts the process, and I figured now was the time to tell her I wanted to get Wind Waker with it because of the Black Friday bundle. Lady 3, who wasn't a part of this at all, says "You have to go to electronics to get the bundle." I think "Ok, that's fine" so I ask "How should I proceed?" (as in, should I take it down to electronics, or are they going to call someone over). Lady 3 tells Lady 1 to call electronics. Then Lady 3 returns to what she was doing and mutters "Although, it's cheating the system". I couldn't believe it, now I'm taking shit from not one, but two ladies. I ask her "Why's that?" Does she explain? No, she just repeats what she said, only rephrased "It's a major scam of the system." At this point, all I can say it "I don't agree", I'm to dumbfounded that this is even happening. Meanwhile, Lady 1 is working on the process, so I just ask "Would it be easier if I just return this outright, and go buy another one?" to which she replies "yes". So that's what I went and did.

I went over the ordeal in my head several times. The only explanation I can think of is that Lady 2 and 3 didn't realize that the system I was returning was new and unopened, they may have thought it was used. If they were paying attention, they would have known that because I clearly said it was a Christmas present. Even if they did think it was used, they both had an oppurtunity to clear up the misunderstabding. Instead of Lady 2 saying "No" (real helpful) she could have explained her reasoning that I can't return a used system, and then re-buy for an extra 30 days. At that point, I could have said "Oh, it's new, I haven't opened it". But she chose to he rude and unhelpgul instead. For Lady 3, instead of just repeating her statement that it's a scam when I asked for clarification, she could have explained why she thinks it's a scam, that I can't return a used system, then buy a new one and get the bundle. If she had said that, then again, I could have cleared up the misunderstanding. 

I don't see how they could have thought it was used though. Why would I re-buy the same used system, and not just return it outright if that was the case? My mistake was assuming they could handle something other than the usual mundane return/exchange.

I was so pissed, I just had to talk about it. Even if no one reads this, it was worth writing.

No to be mean to you but you are giving a lot of credit to someone who works at Wal-mart.

You are right, in any situation the best thing to do is play it nice and easy. Tell them you wish to return it unopened. Get the refund then  walk over the electronics and buy it. The less they would know the easier, the manager obviously understood but the simple workers/supervisors are useless. Especially not at the electronics department.

Also had terrible experiences at WalMart.

#34 Slayer15   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Slayer15

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:37 PM

No to be mean to you but you are giving a lot of credit to someone who works at Wal-mart.

The less they would know the easier, the manager obviously understood but the simple workers/supervisors are useless. Especially not at the electronics department.

Also had terrible experiences at WalMart.

You're definitely right about that. I don't understand why it was so hard for them to comprehend, it was a simple request. I thought about complaining to a manager, but I figured he wouldn't give a shit.

#35 spartan268   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

spartan268

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:38 AM

Best deal so far I think. Probably getting an xbox from walmart if nothing better comes up.

Target has the same deal but with a target gift card instead if you prefer shopping there.

#36 Jogurt the Yogurt   YGRT CAGiversary!   544 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Jogurt the Yogurt

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:44 AM

I wish teh x1 came with Master Chief collection and sunset override. I'd be all over that! I have unity and black flag already for ps4.

I agree. Considered trading the AC games in for one, and using the $50 gift card on the other.

#37 refmon  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:23 AM

Is there any deals on ps4 controllers or games?

#38 Lockescythe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1525 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Lockescythe

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

walmarts doing ps4 controllers for 40$ 

infamous second son and killzone are 15$ at target 

#39 spartan268   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

spartan268

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:39 AM

I agree. Considered trading the AC games in for one, and using the $50 gift card on the other.

Isn't the assassins creed a digital version of it?

#40 dokidoki  

dokidoki

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

Friday November 28th-Thursday December 4th ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416894498.330405.jpg Xbox one assassins creed bundle on sale PLUS 150 bonus air miles (for this with parents who collect or collect themselves.) regular price $399.99 on sale for $349.97 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416894516.782165.jpg Cheap 3ds games? Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3d Land. Regular price $34.99 on sale for $19.97 I took these screenshots from a flyer app called Flipp. If you want to see the full flyer download the app and enter your postal code and you can search for key items and it brings up the flyers of all stores advertising these items. I personally just got a ds and am looking for games so I searched "nintendo". Or just go to the toys r us website 😜

#41 Korahn   Beyond Awesome CAGiversary!   256 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:29 AM

Nope, not a scam of the system.  Often if a price is lower, or there is a better deal within a month or so, they would have no problem making the change.  Sounds like these reps were just useless.

My experience with Wal-Mart was a little better (at least for me).  I had gone in to get the Wii U with Donkey Kong (so the kids could play together).  No Donkey Kong, so I grabbed Wind Waker instead.  When the cashier was ringing it up she noticed it didn't remove the cost of the game, so she called a CSM to clear the charge.  After this was done she pushed it through and THEN the discount was applied.  So essentially I got the Wii U and Wind Waker for $249 plus tax.  I'm not sure if the cashier noticed or not, but I didn't say anything.  Normally I would but A) It's Wal-Mart and B) funds are tight enough as it is this time of year.

#42 Slayer15   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Slayer15

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

Nope, not a scam of the system.  Often if a price is lower, or there is a better deal within a month or so, they would have no problem making the change.  Sounds like these reps were just useless.

My experience with Wal-Mart was a little better (at least for me).  I had gone in to get the Wii U with Donkey Kong (so the kids could play together).  No Donkey Kong, so I grabbed Wind Waker instead.  When the cashier was ringing it up she noticed it didn't remove the cost of the game, so she called a CSM to clear the charge.  After this was done she pushed it through and THEN the discount was applied.  So essentially I got the Wii U and Wind Waker for $249 plus tax.  I'm not sure if the cashier noticed or not, but I didn't say anything.  Normally I would but A) It's Wal-Mart and B) funds are tight enough as it is this time of year.

Good deal. Almost as good as when I was at Best Buy and bought 2 $40 games, but somehow, the cashier only scanned one and didn't notice, so I got both for $40. Also, Wal-Mart not having stock of Donkey Kong may have been a good thing. I'm not sure how skilled your kids are at games, but Donkey Kong is very hard and frustrating. Even people who review games for a living find it hard. 

#43 CheapLuke   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

CheapLuke

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

Are there any PS Vita deals anywhere? I was planning on picking one up on Black Friday.

#44 OmegaChaos   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1148 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

OmegaChaos

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Wow, this is disappointing. Most of these deals are the same as last year. Like the 3DS games, basically the same games that were on sale last year for $20.

The only new addition is Theatrhythm.

Best Buy/Futureshops deal on Watch Dogs and Diablo III is meh, considering Shoppers Drug Mart has both for $19.99.

#45 woody90  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'll be honest I was hoping for some price decreases on the PS4

#46 Lockescythe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1525 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Lockescythe

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Not sure what deals you guys were expecting. 20$ first party nintendo games. 20$ PS4 exclusives (infamous, kill zone etc), new releases for 20-40$ (evil within,alien, sunset overdrive is 44.99) controllers for 39.99. Watchdogs for next gen for 20$. Lots of things that haven't been this low as of yet.

It's much better than last year and better than any BF dealswise in Canada that I can remember.

#47 VetraX   In-game moralist CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

They did have $30 PS Plus subs on Amazon last year. Or was that boxing day? Either way, wait for boxing day.

#48 OmegaChaos   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1148 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

OmegaChaos

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

Not sure what deals you guys were expecting. 20$ first party nintendo games. 20$ PS4 exclusives (infamous, kill zone etc), new releases for 20-40$ (evil within,alien, sunset overdrive is 44.99) controllers for 39.99. Watchdogs for next gen for 20$. Lots of things that haven't been this low as of yet.

It's much better than last year and better than any BF dealswise in Canada that I can remember.

You can already get all of those games (minus the current games) for $19.99 already at Shoppers Drug Mart. Infamous/Diablo III/Watch Dogs/etc.

Also, those are the same 3DS games that were on sale last year for the same prices. If I remember correctly, when Target was doing their huge clearance on games during the summer. They had Ps4 controllers for those prices I believe. 

Let's not forget about Staples huge video game clearance. So yeah, this is pretty weak compared to those imo. If you missed these things, or don't own any of those 3DS games, then by all means get them now.

#49 nowsleepy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   11 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

nowsleepy

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:12 AM

Are there any PS Vita deals anywhere? I was planning on picking one up on Black Friday.

I don't think so...

It's a missed opportunity for Sony, for sure. Hopefully for Boxing Day.

#50 ragnar14   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2005 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:06 PM

Target's flyer is up.

$350 Assassin's Creed Unity XBOX One Bundle w/ $50 Target GC

Best deal so far I think. Probably getting an xbox from walmart if nothing better comes up.

RCSS is the best on that XBONE bundle. Same deal, $350 plus a $50 store gift card, plus no tax (Friday/Saturday), plus a free Fucking turkey with the $250 purchase coupon.

I'm really tempted and I don't even want one. I'm RCSS staff, so I'd get 10% off on top too. Basically getting a XBONE for $265...

#51 Keel4n  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:48 PM

RCSS is the best on that XBONE bundle. Same deal, $350 plus a $50 store gift card, plus no tax (Friday/Saturday), plus a free Fucking turkey with the $250 purchase coupon.

I'm really tempted and I don't even want one. I'm RCSS staff, so I'd get 10% off on top too. Basically getting a XBONE for $265...

The 10% would be an extra bonus for you for sure.

THe no tax is very nice. that is about $50 in savings, plus the $50 gift card to go towards a game or get the controller.

Where did you see the turkey thing? Not that i enjoy turkey.

I just wish i didn't have both assassins creed already :( Or at least let them be hard copies that i could sell/trade in ha.

#52 ragnar14   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2005 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:21 AM

Where did you see the turkey thing? Not that i enjoy turkey.

Every week RCSS has a coupon for something for free with like a $100-$250 purchase. The coupon is always on the front page of their grocery flyer, and they usually have some to hand out in-store (but they often run out). Next week is a turkey with any purchase over $250. Generally the best weekly coupon they toss out is a $25 gift card with a $250 purchase, I think that's what they had last Black Friday. But they are a grocery store, so they often give out crap. I think right now they're giving out poinsettias.

If you don't like turkey give it to your Mom or a friend. Turkeys are worth like $20 easy, and can be kept around frozen for Christmas dinner.

#53 dokidoki  

dokidoki

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

Sorry I have to ask but does RCSS stand for Real Canadian Superstore? Because for those who are students, superstore also has student discounts on tuesdays - 10% off I believe and they price match so if you find a flyer that has deals extended into next week/tuesday, price match and get a discount on top!

#54 ragnar14   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2005 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:45 AM

Yep, that's the acronym for Real Canadian Superstore on CAG.

I wouldn't wait till Tuesday to try and get a deal. They never have a lot of stock on things, and assuming your province is around 12% sales tax the deals would be roughly equal anyways.

#55 dokidoki  

dokidoki

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:04 AM

What if you bought it without the 10% discount, returned it on Tuesday and repurchased with the price match and discount, would they allow repurchasing? Haha I assumed so but thought I would ask just in case. Also the turkey deal appears to only be in the west coast flyers. They're not in my local flyer (Toronto/Ontario flyer) but when I searched my old postal code it was in the Vancouver/BC flyer.

#56 retro.elite   CAGdood! CAGiversary!   758 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

retro.elite

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

Is the xbox holiday bundle games digital or physical?

#57 ragnar14   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2005 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:54 AM

Pretty sure the holiday bundle is digital, with one code that redeems both games. Or that's what I've gathered looking at some spam from EB:

http://links.gamesto...NjQ1NDY0S0&rt=0

#58 spartan268   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

spartan268

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:44 AM

Will the target deal for xbox one be in store only?

#59 Lockescythe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1525 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Lockescythe

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:57 AM

I live in toronto there is never ANY stock at shoppers drug mart. It's a tossup if the prices are even those prices.

But yes if you shop store closures and massive clearouts yes you'll do better than black friday.

But this year game prices are much better than last years blackfriday deals.

#60 retro.elite   CAGdood! CAGiversary!   758 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

retro.elite

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

Microsoft store Black Friday is live link