Wal-Mart closes loophole on PlayStation 4 scam

CaoPi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
No more super-cheap PlayStation 4 consoles. Wal-Mart has locked down its price-matching policy to prevent fraud.

After Wal-Mart announced Nov. 13 that it would price match select online retailers, including Amazon.com, several customers used the program to buy $400 PlayStation 4 consoles for under $100 using fake Amazon listings. Twitter and Reddit users posted pictures of receipts documenting PS4 prices as cheap as $90. CNBC.com spotted more evidence of the fraud on Twitter Wednesday, including more pictures of receipts for $90 PS4s and others for a $100 Xbox One console and games.

Wednesday afternoon, a Wal-Mart spokesman told CNBC that the retailer's policy has been updated as a result of the fraud. The updated policy on Walmart.com notes stores will not honor prices from marketplace vendors, third-party seller, auction sites or sites requiring memberships. "We can't tolerate fraud or attempts to trick our cashiers," Wal-Mart said, in a statement. "This kind of activity is unfair to the millions of customers who count on us every day for honest value."

Earlier in the day, several users also tweeted (unverified) pictures indicating stores were starting to pay attention. One showed an in-store sign stating that Amazon.com PS4 ad matches will no longer be accepted "due to fraud." Another user's picture showed updated match requirements, including listings sold and fulfilled by Amazon and verification for any "huge" price differences.

In an unfortunately timed announcement, Wal-Mart also announced Wednesday that starting Nov. 21, it will match or beat select Black Friday offers from competitors—including one on the PlayStation 4. (It did not detail which retailer, or price, it would be matching.)

As CNBC.com reported earlier, any Amazon member with a registered selling account can create a product sale listing. Perpetuating the fraud requires only a screen capture of the listing to be shown at checkout to request the price match. Amazon did not respond to requests for comment about that capability.

Wal-Mart's woes raise the question of how stores will verify matches amid the growth of online marketplaces that let third-party sellers set their own price, said Haydn Simpson, head of brand protection for consulting firm NetNames. Even if the listing is real (as in, the seller has product to sell), counterfeits and grey-market goods are fairly common—and usually bear lower price tags. "This shows that consumers are clever enough to understand how they can take advantage of that," he said.

It's only in the past year or so that stores have begun accepting online prices for price matching offers, but it's usually a select list of retailers rather than a blanket online match. (In 2013, Target announced it would expand its policy to include Amazon.com, Walmart.com and others.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]http://www.cnbc.com/id/102199267[/SIZE]

How many extra seconds would it have taken Wal-mart corporate to figure out and inform employees that a price-match to Amazon needed to specifically be shipped and sold by Amazon?

I would have assumed that was already part of their policy. Although I still wondered how well they would train their employees to understand that.

This is why at Target and Best Buy (and probably others), the cashier goes on amazon themselves and checks the price.  It's too easy to create a fake picture showing a lower price.

Trust me, they don't train Walmart employees much more than the bare minimum to do only one function & I dought most employees care to know more than that. I can see how cashiers wouldn't give a crap.

Heard about this the other day, glad they caught it because that's definitely not fair to those have purchased it full price. 

bread's done
Back