Pit-Fighter (SNES) - 1/10

When someone mentions the word “Pit-Fighter” to you, you'll either jump with joy or grit your teeth. Some love it, some hate it. I happen to be one of those that love it. Originally released in arcades in 1990, Pit-Fighter featured real life character models in the game, and introduced 3 player co-op. It was a fighting game that allowed you to move in 8 directions to avoid your enemy's attacks. You could even pick up various weapons to deal a great amount of pain on your opponents. You fought in the underground to earn cash. Why did you want this cash? Because you were money hungry, duh. Well, 2 years after thousands of quarters were fed to the many Pit-Fighter machines across America, home versions were finally released. In 91, the Genesis received an excellent port of the arcade game. You can read about that in my other review. However, the Super NES was cursed with a version that doesn't even begin to do the arcade version justice. I pity the kid that received this version as a Christmas gift one Christmas morning in 1992. Oh, what a terrible Christmas it must have been.

Gameplay: 1/10

The excellent gameplay from the arcade version is not present here. Nope, instead we get Hell. After you pick your character, (There are 3, Buzz, Ty, and Kato), you begin the first match against “The Executioner”. This guy is probably going to be the only enemy you ever see in this game. Why, you ask? Well, because the game has an impossible difficulty level. First off, there are no options to change the difficulty, and even if there were, I'm sure it'd still be impossible. See, the game makes the computer knock you down, and once you are down, it's over. The computer will then continue to jump and smash your limp body until you die. There are NO CONTINUES. How did the game's developer's possibly expect us, the gamers, to beat this atrocity? Apparently they didn't. I personally never made it past the 2nd level. It's hard to believe that THQ, the makers of the excellent WCW vs NWO World Tour are responsible for this garbage. I really wanted to like this game, because I loved the arcade and Genesis versions, but I just couldn't. It's funny how terrible this game is.

Graphics/Sound: 1/10

The graphics in this are terrible too. The arcade had big characters, while the SNES version has small sprites that look terrible. Throughout the game, you're going to hear one repeated song file; it only gets annoying after the first 30 minutes you hear it. IT NEVER STOPS!!! There are various grunts and screams, but guess what? They also sound terrible!

Play Time/Replayability: 1/10

Since this game is basically unplayable, there is no replay value. Perhaps you could try to beat the game with all the characters? Ha, fat chance! Good luck even beating the 2nd opponent!

Final Recommendation: STAY AWAY

The SNES version of Pit-Fighter is absolutely terrible. It puts the arcade version to shame. It's hard to believe that Nintendo put their “Seal of Quality” on it. I usually don't bash games, but I had no choice. Please, please, please, don't ever play this game. Although I own it, I spent less than $5 on it. It's $5 that I'll never get back. If you want to play a fun version of Pit-Fighter, then get the Genesis version instead. Or, just pick up Midway Arcade Treasures 2 on the Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube, which features an arcade perfect port of Pit-Fighter. But just stay away from the SNES version. Thank you.

Final Score: 1/10

Please Note: The SNES version of Pit-Fighter doesn't even have any weapons in it!!! The weapons were one of the main reasons that made Pit-Fighter so fun! Why did THQ decide to take out the weapons in this version? The world may never know.

I think the game is fun but also kind of amusing looking back.

Mostly I'm amused such blatantly Sadism/Bondage costumes were allowed in any arcade game, especially later selling to consumers at home.

I have no problem with either of the two fetishes, it just surprises me no one pitched that much of a fit about it.

bread's done
Back