Found Sculptor's Cut Instruction Book in my room

Therealpandaman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
As a child, I loved to collect as much around my gaming hobby as I possibly could. This didn't extend to games necessarily, but I loved saving as much gaming memorabilia as possible - back then, gaming wasn't as prolific a hobby as it is now, so seeing a flyer or an ad for something you loved meant far more. Ergo, I amassed quite a bit of random things like SNES trifolds and nintendo power stuff.

A couple years ago I cataloged my Pokemon collection and recently wrote about the experience here: 

http://tay.kotaku.com/i-own-unquestionably-the-worlds-weirdest-pokemon-coll-1635053375

I hadn't been home since this time, so I was anxious to look through some more of my stuff. I found one of those original Game Gear cases with all the accessories. I was pretty happy to find all my old Sega stuff. I opened the flap and found a bunch of old Game Gear manuals and ads and stuff, but also found this:

http://i.imgur.com/o5AH0dQ.jpg

The manual is in above average condition, with slight wear on the edges, and one noticeable crease through the back, but otherwise is basically new. The most recent ebay auction I found for the thing sold for around $550 (albeit mint) about a year or two ago, while the game and box sell in isolation for around $250-350ish nowadays.

What do you think? Should I sell it as is? Keep it? I'm not sure I want to try and get the game and box to sell, because that seems like it might take forever. But maybe I should try? Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Major find.  I used to have that game back in the day.  Would love to have it again.

I would personally keep the manual, but if you have no intention of having it as a collectible, I'd wait and see how much it inflates around tax return time.

The manual is in above average condition, with slight wear on the edges, and one noticeable crease through the back, but otherwise is basically new. The most recent ebay auction I found for the thing sold for around $550 (albeit mint) about a year or two ago,
I'd sell it. Then again, I'm not a collector at all and that's a ton of money. :)

As far as I can tell, the problem is that the manuals were included with the rentals, as per Blockbuster policy. Even if you were lucky enough to get the box or the game, few people saved the manuals. Also, the ones who did procure the manuals often were written all over or ripped up by kids. Or stolen.

I remember reading about the manual in an article and thinking, "Oh jeez, if only I wasn't such a good kid and always returned the manuals."

...apparently I wasn't a good kid at all!

Sell it.  It doesn't seem like you have any emotional attachment to it and that is a nice chunk of change.  You could either keep it and it will sit in a box somewhere for the next 2 years until you remember it's there, or you can use the money to buy something you're actually going to use (new TV, PS4, XBox One) or even go on vacation somewhere.

As far as I can tell, the problem is that the manuals were included with the rentals, as per Blockbuster policy. Even if you were lucky enough to get the box or the game, few people saved the manuals. Also, the ones who did procure the manuals often were written all over or ripped up by kids. Or stolen.

I remember reading about the manual in an article and thinking, "Oh jeez, if only I wasn't such a good kid and always returned the manuals."

...apparently I wasn't a good kid at all!
Ah, that explains it.

Heading closer to the final day and still only one bid....but lots and lots of watchers, agh!
I would pull your auction. It's ending at a really crappy time.

I would re-list it as a 10 day auction and time it so it ends on Sunday night. You want this to get as much exposure as possible if you want to maximize profits.

I would pull your auction. It's ending at a really crappy time.

I would re-list it as a 10 day auction and time it so it ends on Sunday night. You want this to get as much exposure as possible if you want to maximize profits.
At that point it would be after christmas though!

At that point it would be after christmas though!
Lets be honest, nobody is gonna buy this as a Xmas present. People probably have less money now due to all the presents shopping. And then New Years is coming up so people are gonna be partying/boozing it up.

Shit, if I were you, I might wait a bit longer.

Lets be honest, nobody is gonna buy this as a Xmas present. People probably have less money now due to all the presents shopping. And then New Years is coming up so people are gonna be partying/boozing it up.

Shit, if I were you, I might wait a bit longer.
Lots of people are pulling me in different directions. Several have asked me to relist it for a different time. I don't want to anger people watching it already, but Im strongly considering it at this point. :/

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think it's a bad time at all. Most people will be at work and will be able to bid on their phones or computer. It's a rare item and if you have that many watchers I don't doubt you will get top money for it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think it's a bad time at all. Most people will be at work and will be able to bid on their phones or computer. It's a rare item and if you have that many watchers I don't doubt you will get top money for it.
This was my train of thought exactly, but others seem to disagree. Some insist that I end it on a Sunday, which means if I re listed it tomorrow it would fit that window perfectly. In this exact case especially, having so many watchers and messages but so few bids worries me.

Don't worry about angering watchers or current bidders. No matter how angry they are, they'll be back when you re-list. It's not like they have a million other options! Pull it and relist for the better end time.

bread's done
Back