Sriracha thread.

Sarang01

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I watched a movie about Sriracha and people who were fans/fanatics.  One of the things that caught me was all the different brands out there and one guy who was especially into using all sorts of different brands.

I'm a big Sriracha fan, especially because it's the only hot sauce I really know that doesn't have the obnoxious vinegar taste that seems to linger with Tabasco(at least to me) and so many others.  I love the garlic that lingers in it.

I started on the Huey Fong brand as I think most did but now my preferred brand of choice is Skyville by Organicville.  No offense to Huey Fong but the ingredients taste fresher to me which is a big part of it.  I suspect that's why they also tell you to refrigerate, to keep the taste fresh.  Also, it's non-GMO.  I have also had Ninja Squirrel from Whole Foods which isn't bad.

What's the go-to for Sriracha for you?

My wife, who is Cambodian, swears by the Huey Fong (aka Rooster) brand.  She mixes a bit of it with soy sauce and puts it on fried eggs for a nice breakfast treat.  While I like the Rooster brand, I actually prefer the milder Shark brand.  It has more flavor and less heat.

I don't think I've had any other kind of sriracha besides Huey Fong.

tumblr_lbopww0PZ01qe7n5yo1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Huy Fong's the only hot sauce I buy. $3 and it lasts me about a year. I'm not that crazy about it, but it's a fine hot sauce. I also like Tabasco but mostly for the vinegary taste, but this isn't considered a hot sauce anyway and I'm fine with that.

Siracha is ok, but I feel like its the "in flavor" right now much like chipotle was a few years ago, so my feelings toward it are a little more reserved.

As for the sauce it self, I never really grouped it in the hot sauce category, as it always seemed more like a ketchup due to its sweetness, thicker texture, and flavor that overwhelms whatever you put it on.

I never felt that Tabasco was overwhelmingly vinegary. Fresh Tabasco sauce has a bourbon barrel aged taste similar to whiskey, with mild vinegar content. Its American Cayenne style sauces like Franks or Chrystal that have a heavy vinegar taste to them. However, These companies mentioned have many different flavors, so any fast and easy rules are meant to be broken. Tabasco Chipotle, for instance, has a heavy smoked taste with virtually no vinegar bite.

Mexican style hot sauces like Tapatio and Cholulas are more "peppery" tasting. I like them, although they seem less versatile than American style hot sauces. The best Mexican hot sauces I have found, have been the homemade Habanero sauces. Very hot ,but really fresh tasting.

Interesting you say that DragonClaw because most hot sauces other than Sriracha to me have that vinegar taste and are watery.  I just can't stand them.

The only exception to that rule would be Gochujang.

Maybe I'll try Tapatio or Cholula but I will approach with caution.

I like Chipotle because of the smoky taste but it's also somewhat hearty not because it's the "in" flavor.

I discovered Sriracha thanks to a friend about a year after having my first bowl of pho. It's a match made in heaven!
Yep, Sriracha & Pho is a must. After I finish the noddles and just the soup is left I always add a ton of spicy pepper sauce and Sriracha for an extra spicy finish.

Growing up I ONLY ate it with pho, so I was surprised to see that people poured it on everything (like rice and eggs) when I looked at some foodie vids on YT.

....and after that I started pouring it on all my food. :)

I put this on a variety of things, it's about the hottest sauce there is.

I notice it's getting mainstream acceptance, with Subway putting it on subs.

Well, after this thread, I decided to try Sriracha for the first time. I picked up a bottle the other day. Tonight, I tried it on some brown rice mixed with a little smoked sausage. it tasted pretty great, and had way more flavor than the traditional hot sauce I use.

Well, after this thread, I decided to try Sriracha for the first time. I picked up a bottle the other day. Tonight, I tried it on some brown rice mixed with a little smoked sausage. it tasted pretty great, and had way more flavor than the traditional hot sauce I use.

I love it!

Great with soup, rice, chicken, pasta, salad!

I like Rooster brand. I put it on sandwiches quite a bit when I don't feel like using mustard.

To all the people who put it in pho. I love pho but never put it in. I just feel like it overpowers the flavor of the broth. That is like the one place I won't put it.

I also keep a few bottles of the garlic cholula around. That is pretty tasty.

To all the people who put it in pho. I love pho but never put it in. I just feel like it overpowers the flavor of the broth. That is like the one place I won't put it.
I'm guessing that this is why a lot of people mix it with hoisin sauce on a dish and just dip the meat in it.

Personally, I ask for a side of peanut sauce and mix some sriracha in it to dip the meat since straight hoisin sauce is a little too strong for my tastes. Back in the day, I would just put it in the soup and over time, I stopped wanting it to overpower the broth.

I like Rooster brand. I put it on sandwiches quite a bit when I don't feel like using mustard.

I also keep a few bottles of the garlic cholula around. That is pretty tasty.
Well I don't put it in initially. I wait until all the noodles and meat are gone then add some for a spicy broth.

Rooster sauce is great with Chinese food.  Mix it with some soy for a great potsticker or egg roll dipping sauce.

I like it spicy and keep all these sauces in the cabinet always.

1. "Rooster" Huey Fong (Chinese, Vietnamese)

2. Tabasco (eggs, rice, beans, ramen, soup, chili, cajun)

3. Tapatio (popcorn, eggs, Mexican, potatoes)

4. Franks Buffalo style (chicken, potatoes, fried food)

5. Texas Pete's (popcorn, chicken, rice, beans)

6. Louisiana Hot sauce (wife uses this on all kinds of stuff)

In the fridge

7. Fresh salsa (use this on salad as a zero calorie dressing,  love great salsa)

8. Green chile (homemade or local)

Seems like middle America is becoming more accepting of spicy foods.  Heck, even McDonalds has jalapeno burgers now.  Try hot sauce on your popcorn, you're going to love it.

Sricacha is okay.  Not something I usually keep around the house.  It has a very distinct flavor and I guess if you grew up on it you are used to it, but it's not something I'd be throwing on everything I eat.  It's too overpowering.  My hot sauce of choice is Valentina but I grew up on it.  Tapatio and Cholula on occasion as well as Tabasco or generic LA style.  

My sister game me a set of zombie hot sauces for Christmas and they are all actually really good.

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Cajun-Gourmet-Louisiana-Seasonings/dp/B00G6I14Y6/

I never did like that whole bottled salsa. The only bottled salsa in my house is Tapatio which last a long time. I've tried that Sriracha its okay, spicy. But like others stated in a lot of bottled salsa i always get that vinegar taste. How come no one makes home made salsa? Maybe that's my problem ive always had home made salsa. All the time.

I never did like that whole bottled salsa. The only bottled salsa in my house is Tapatio which last a long time. I've tried that Sriracha its okay, spicy. But like others stated in a lot of bottled salsa i always get that vinegar taste. How come no one makes home made salsa? Maybe that's my problem ive always had home made salsa. All the time.
Hot sauce is not salsa.

The only thing I put sriracha on is teriyaki chicken from Sarku Japan. I put a lot on there, cause it's not that hot.

I like Tabasco myself, cause it's cheap and has some heat. Goes great with eggs with burritos.

Not a huge fan of Tapatio and Cholula (though I've been buying Cholula more often now). I find Tabasco hotter, but it's not supposed to be. I use all three about equally.

I also have this ghost pepper sauce that isn't quite as hot as ghost peppers. Maybe 2x Tabasco.

bread's done
Back