Gamecube Adapter for Wii U Pre-order from Best Buy $19.99+FS (Possible YMMV)

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Details about preordering, you will have to go in store to try it out.

http://www.thetanooki.com/2014/12/29/nintendo-gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u-available-via-best-buy-in-store-order/

From Slickdeals:

Unfortunately you must visit a Best Buy store to take advantage of this deal as it is currently unavailable online. Simply go to Customer Service at Best Buy and ask for an OMS for SKU #7522006 (Canada SKU is #10172249). You will have the option for shipping, which is free. This is a good option for those who already have the game and do not want to buy four new Gamecube controllers from Gamestop. I just got back from Best Buy and pre-ordered it for $19.99.

I was just going to post this after reading about it on Wii U Reddit and after getting back from BBY.  I can confirm it works as I ordered 2.  The customer service rep at first said none showing in any stores near us.  I explained that she has to look in the OMS system and check the warehouses, not the store inventories.  A manager walked by and showed her how to do it.  I ordered them as store pickup but you can also get shipped to your house.

My store had a 10 dollar off "I'm sorry for not having the actual bundle in" discount on the adapter.  It's been over a month, but I wonder if they're still going to honor it....

I wouldn't count on it. Nintendo has pretty much stated more are on the way (unlike Amiibos). They foolishly underestimated the demand.
I mean I hope they do bring them back and make them available. But to me, this doesn't sound like them being available. To me it sounds like a clever way to trick the system to let you preorder when they eventually do come back - when that is, nobody knows.

I hope it works out for those that do it, but I wouldn't bank on it

Thanks OP, got this to work at my Best Buy. I printed out the Reddit post and brought it to customer service and they placed the order for 2 for me. They couldnt change it to ship to store but shipping was free and the receipt and email confirmation says I'll receive it on the 1/12/15

Worked just fine for me. I still have reservations about getting it in soon but I'm supposed to pick mine up Jan 2 in store. Here's hoping.

ya boy mario preordered one at gamestop (with game & controller) . shipping confirmation came in email this morning stating i will get it on the 2nd

here's hoping nintendo starts making more than 6 of these things a month.

ya boy mario preordered one at gamestop (with game & controller) . shipping confirmation came in email this morning stating i will get it on the 2nd

here's hoping nintendo starts making more than 6 of these things a month.
update. UPS guarantees i get my package by tomorrow.

very stoked right now

From reading the instructions and comments on other sites, it sounds like availability depends on whether or not the distribution warehouse in your area has any on hand or not. So, that could explain why some people were successful and others not. That said, was anyone successful in the DFW, Texas area? Contemplating making a trip back to see if I can land one, but would rather save the time and gas if someone has already tried and got shot down.

Los Angeles no go tried several warehouses. said it was available then wouldn't order damn!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they arrive in store but I doubt I'll have luck. Guess I'll just keep hunting. At least these are being restocked! Congrats on you lucky few that got one!

I went to a BBY that someone from Reddit posted success from, and it's not available anymore. It seems like a nationwide thing, so save yourself the trip if you were thinking about going just to check on this.

For anyone in the DFW area, I just went in to the Parker/75 location today and tried again and was able to order two (one for me and a buddy). I asked how many were available and at the time, she said about 570.

Thanks Zaxour! Stopped by best buy to grab a flash drive and saw a new post in this thread right before I went in.. Went to customer service and asked if they could do an OMS order for me. Guy instantly asked if it was for the gamecube thing and I said yeah and he said it won't work. He was nice though and while I was buying the flash drive I told him it was worth a shot asking and said I saw someone online say it worked today. He said he had a huge flux of people asking last week but was unable to do it because they sold out after this first one.

I told him I was aware that they were up for order but then everyone ran in and bought one and told him that they seem like maybe there's a few in stock again. He finally checked for me (he wasn't resistant, just doubtful) and was surprised to find that he could order one.

TLDR: Hurry and order one before they're gone again.
PS: vegas CAG

Last edited by a moderator:
question: does this let you actually plug in a gamecube controller to the wii u? Or does it just let you use multiple copies of the new one theyve released on the system?

Also: is there a difference between the older gamecube controllers that came out (the mario, luigi, yoshi, peach ones) and the new smash one that came out? Looking at the picture on the box the smash one looks closer to a real gamecube controller. The older ones look kinda smooshed and weird. Plus they have extra buttons on them it seems

Id like to snag a gamecube controller for the wii-u, but if the adapter lets you use original controllers, then i'll just use the nice japanese ones i picked up back in the day with the long cord

question: does this let you actually plug in a gamecube controller to the wii u? Or does it just let you use multiple copies of the new one theyve released on the system?

Also: is there a difference between the older gamecube controllers that came out (the mario, luigi, yoshi, peach ones) and the new smash one that came out? Looking at the picture on the box the smash one looks closer to a real gamecube controller. The older ones look kinda smooshed and weird. Plus they have extra buttons on them it seems

Id like to snag a gamecube controller for the wii-u, but if the adapter lets you use original controllers, then i'll just use the nice japanese ones i picked up back in the day with the long cord
m/l/y/p controllers are third party and are basically wii classic controllers and plug into an actual wii remote, they do not use the GC adapter, and you are right they are differently shaped and "smooshed" is pretty accurate to me.

the adapter lets you use ANY of your old gamecube controllers, including the wireless wavebirds. Main difference is the cords on smash logo GC controllers are a lot longer, also the feel of the new ones is slightly different, hard to describe, the plastic casing is not as smooth and feels lighter. been playing melee forever so it was barely noticeable for me, many people don't even notice or even care. I notice but do not mind at all, feels better to me, honestly.

Yeah I would seriously consider going in and doing this as my store says the item is deleted so that's why it's not showing up online but we have 800 or so in the district warehouse. So if you want to order one just do what the op said and you can avoid overpriced bundles and resellers.

Yeah I would seriously consider going in and doing this as my store says the item is deleted so that's why it's not showing up online but we have 800 or so in the district warehouse. So if you want to order one just do what the op said and you can avoid overpriced bundles and resellers.
I can verify this. LOADS in the DC

Thanks guys, I checked last week and it was not available. I went again today and was able to order 2. Shipping option wasn't available but had the option for store pick up.

bread's done
Back