Soundbar connection question

aramsey1986

CAGiversary!
So for X-mas I got a new sound bar the VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers to be exact. I want to get the best sound possible out of this system so i am using a optical connection but I am not sure which device I should hook into. My TV is a Panasonic TC-P50ST60 and I have a Xbox One, PS4 connected HDMI to the TV and PS3, 360 and Wii U connected to a HDMI splitter in the final HDMI spot. I want to know if I should just plug the bar up to the current device I want to use or should I get an optical splitter or just suck it up and leave it connected to the TV and be done with it. Also should mention my TV doesn't use ARC so I don't think it will put out Dolby surround it is just stereo surround.

I think I am going to but this..ViewHD SPDIF / TOSLINK Optical Digital Audio 4X2 True Matrix with Remote Control | VHD-SM4X2

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally, you'd want the most direct connection from your source to your playback device. In terms of audio, the biggest advantage HDMI has is TrueHD audio formats and being able to carry higher rates of uncompressed audio, which are not supported by your soundbar so you're not gonna miss out on anything by not using HDMI and connecting directly to the soundbar. Odds are, you're not gonna notice the advantages of HDMI vs optical, unless you get a much higher end system. 

If your TV has an optical audio out and passes through whatever audio formats you plan to use (it likely does, but some TVs only support Dolby or DTS formats, not both) then I would just use that to connect your TV to the soundbar. Keep your PS4/PS3/etc hooked up to your TV with HDMI, as you currently have them, and whatever audio is output by your PS4/PS3/etc will pass through your TV and be output by your soundbar instead. 

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back