What are your favorite lesser-known independent games?

Josh1billion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Here are a few of my favorites:

One Way Heroics - a roguelike with a twist: the camera is always moving to the right, so you have to keep moving ahead.  As with most roguelikes, there are many classes to choose from (including some unlockable ones), so there's a lot of replayability.  Often on sale at 75% off ($0.87).

Unholy Heights - a very unique concept for a game.  You're an apartment manager who rents out rooms to monsters, and those monsters defend you against the heroes who try to invade.  Often on sale at 75% off ($0.99).

Hearthlands - something like SimCity, with some twists.  Really well-executed, in my opinion.  Unfortunately, it's still in early access (at this time of writing).

Dwarfs!? - this is on the borderline between obscure and popular, but I'll include it anyway because I enjoyed it quite a bit.  It's the type of game where you play once at a time, in a randomly-generated world, for 5-60 minutes at a time.  Placed in a large world, you guide your dwarves along as they mine themselves outward from your base, discovering treasures.  The tricky part is protecting them as they proceed, because they will run into hazards.  The fun/challenge lies in seeing how high a score you can attain.

And Yet It Moves - similarly, this isn't quite as obscure as the other entries (hell, it was featured in a Humble Bundle!), but it's been out for a while and doesn't come up in conversation much anymore, so I guess I'll put it here anyway.  This is a puzzle platformer where the gimmick is rotating the screen to reach new areas.  One of the main reasons I liked this game is its art style: hand-drawn paper stuff.  Mmm, that hand-drawn paper stuff.  Maybe it's the nostalgia, because I used to play this on the subway all the time when I was doing an internship in New York back in summer 2011.
Battlepaths - a roguelike with some twists.  For one, you're not in a randomly-generated world.  Also, rather than playing for a bit and dying and starting over again, you save your game and keep going.  Other than those traditional RPG elements, it's all roguelike.  The art style is also a little silly and a little unique.  Fun game overall.

bread's done
Back