* * * * - 31 votes

GameStick $17/$20 (in store/online) at Gamestop

#91 PlowK1NG   Banned from MSstore.com CAGiversary!   693 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Picked up the gamestick and dock for $23 of credit. Thanks op.

#92 sgand  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Picked mine up and the box had a thick coat of dust on the top.

#93 jimbofluffy   Dr. Ugly Pants CAGiversary!   580 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

jimbofluffy

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

I honestly don't care to play Android games or other emulated/retro games; would there be any other reason to get one of these?

I do NOT have an Android or other smartphone but I haven't needed one, I only use my phone to call; so if there's something else Android's really good for at home maybe it'd be worth it but I don't know what else would make it worth it.

I plug it into the extra HDMI port on my monitor and my USB KVM keyboard and mouse switch.  I use it as a quick way to check e-mail without having to boot my Windows PC.  I have it in developer mode and use a OTG style cable (if i remember correctly one is included) to hook it up to a wired mouse and keyboard.

Basically it can be used as a mini android based PC.

#94 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10718 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

Video was great, here's the original post for this and putting CFW on it

http://gamestickers....php?topic=320.0

#95 pittsnoggle   Lord CAGiversary!   4349 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

pittsnoggle

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

my local gamestop has this but hardly any amiibo. Its a hard knox life

#96 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2905 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Did a hold for instore pickup for this and the dock. Never done any CFW on home devices so this seems like a decent way to start.

Only device I been taking the time to try to update carefully is an old linksys wireless router (to tomato firmware or whatever is better). Just having a hard time deciding, as they put so many warnings out there that you can "brick" the device. Need to do something soon, so these malware port scanners can stop probing my laptop for potential security holes. As far as this gamestick goes, hoping it is easy.

#97 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Looks like yr dropbox link has had too much traffic and been temporarily disabled 

Yeah, that means 20gb of the same file has been downloaded... didn't realize it would generate this much traffic lol.  Gonna throw up some new links.

#98 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10718 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

#99 HyperG   GamersVlog.com CAGiversary!   2905 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

my local gamestop has this but hardly any amiibo. Its a hard knox life

The store I went to had a lot of amibo's, didn't take the time to look at them though.

#100 GohanX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   257 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Picked one up in store, thanks OP! I'll throw stock android on it and probably use it as an emu machine in my office.

#101 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

Have new links for the firmware up now

#102 DarkSignerKiryu   But Nep Nep... CAGiversary!   285 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

DarkSignerKiryu

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

My local gamestop has this, the case, and the dock. And suddenly I question if I should even bother with any of it when I have my laptop and an hdmi cable. Dammit cag, why u make me spend my money?

#103 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6711 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

My local gamestop has this, the case, and the dock. And suddenly I question if I should even bother with any of it when I have my laptop and an hdmi cable. Dammit cag, why u make me spend my money?

That's my predicament still. It won't do anything a laptop with HDMI will do :(

#104 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

That's my predicament still. It won't do anything a laptop with HDMI will do :(

That can be said about almost all consumer electronics lol.  Though I do enjoy the portability and price.

#105 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6711 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

That can be said about almost all consumer electronics lol. Though I do enjoy the portability and price.

Will the android games work with a controller? Like dead space, off of the play store?

Can this thing even run Dead Space mobile? Lol

#106 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Will the android games work with a controller? Like dead space, off of the play store?

Can this thing even run Dead Space mobile? Lol

Sadly I don't think either of those games support a controller.  It all depends on if the app dev decided to add controller support, which, I have no clue why they don't for every app.  Adding controller support to an app would probably be a fairly simple task but yet there are plenty that would make sense to have controller support that don't. 

I know for a fact that GTA San Andreas supports a controller though.

#107 kit352   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

I jumped on the band wagon and had to order one.  No store's near me had any in stock.  It was $24 shipped so not bad.

Now i gotta figure out what to do with it.  I'd really like to use it in my game room on my old CRT but it doesnt have HDMI hook ups.  Has anyone tried an HDMI to Composite converter with this?

Anyway, Good find OP.  I'm sure it will keep me busy for hours. 

#108 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4351 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

Where are the new links op?

#109 DefeatUForever   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   520 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

DefeatUForever

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

I got one and a dock thst I just picked up. My controller and stick were previously open by somebody and one of the cords had a rubber band around it and not in bags like the rest. I fucking hate gamestop and this is the first thing I've bought from them in over 10 years.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse but it's not working with the Android menu screen so I'm basically at a stand still right now with this thing because I have to borrow someones keyboard and mouse now. I might just take it back cause I'm so annoyed.

#110 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:23 PM

Where are the new links op?

In the description of the tutorial

#111 FlyingAce39   Flyin' High Again CAGiversary!   566 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

FlyingAce39

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

I tried flashing mine with the .img file on that site (1.4) and it keeps failing. I've been running test after test on my SD card and I've formatted it twice. I'm not convinced that it's the card.

#112 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

I tried flashing mine with the .img file on that site (1.4) and it keeps failing. I've been running test after test on my SD card and I've formatted it twice. I'm not convinced that it's the card.

Try this one http://www.tinylinks.co/BBEoq

#113 FlyingAce39   Flyin' High Again CAGiversary!   566 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

FlyingAce39

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

LOL. I actually started downloading it 5 mins. before I posted that. Way ahead of you.

#114 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

LOL. I actually started downloading it 5 mins. before I posted that. Way ahead of you.

Was the stick seeing the file on the card at all or during installation it was failing?

#115 FlyingAce39   Flyin' High Again CAGiversary!   566 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

FlyingAce39

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

Was the stick seeing the file on the card at all or during installation it was failing?

Yeah. On the stick, I followed the directions and went to the SD card and found the .img file and it failed during installation. I think it's a bad file. My card, again, has been formatted twice just prior to me copying the file onto the card. Ran a bunch of card checks on my laptop and everything checks out, so I doubt it's my card.

#116 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Yeah. On the stick, I followed the directions and went to the SD card and found the .img file and it failed during installation. I think it's a bad file. My card, again, has been formatted twice just prior to me copying the file onto the card. Ran a bunch of card checks on my laptop and everything checks out, so I doubt it's my card.

That's really odd, I've used like 3 different micro sd cards and haven't had any problems over 20 different units.  Maybe snatch the one out of your phone and try it?

#117 FlyingAce39   Flyin' High Again CAGiversary!   566 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

FlyingAce39

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:53 PM

That's really odd, I've used like 3 different micro sd cards and haven't had any problems over 20 different units.  Maybe snatch the one out of your phone and try it?

That WAS the one out of my phone. LOL

#118 DefeatUForever   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   520 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

DefeatUForever

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

I just went to target and bought a GE cheap wired keyboard and it's not moving up or down either on the Android screen. What the hell am I doing wrong? My logitech wireless keyboard wouldn't work with it either even though it has a USB too

#119 Finch106   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   562 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

Thanks OP! Never needed a Chromecast as I have a "smart" TV, but this decimates for less money.

#120 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

I just went to target and bought a GE cheap wired keyboard and it's not moving up or down either on the Android screen. What the hell am I doing wrong? My logitech wireless keyboard wouldn't work with it either even though it has a USB too

Did you have it plugged in before starting it up?  You can't just plug it in while it's in recovery mode or it won't recognize the keyboard.