Sega Dreamcast

dreamer131313

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Discuss your favorite dreamcast games or worst or anything dreamcast related in general or post dreamcast related pictures

ifMqDd0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 3 games:

1. Spirit of Speed 1937

2. Kiss Psycho Circus

3. Sonic Shuffle

I always used my Dreamcast to browse the internet. My parents would yell at me to get off the computer so they could use the phone but I'd say "But I'm not on the computer!"

Still proudly rockin' my old Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Sadly though, I lost my Sonic Shuffle disc :(

Oh does anyone remember Ecco the Dolphin? I mean, it was like Goat Simulator...only less bugs, a story, and the super power to kill Great White sharks. Those good old days.

I always used my Dreamcast to browse the internet. My parents would yell at me to get off the computer so they could use the phone but I'd say "But I'm not on the computer!"
i didn't have one, so i always went to my friend, who owns one after school. i hope they reboot Chicken Run, and Shadow MAn, and soliders of fortune ( the game that inspired Call of Duty)

Shenmue also needs to be mentioned as it has the greatest voiceover of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz5IPs_a8Eg

Limited Edition Dreamcasts Versions: 

10th Anniversary Sonic Edition 

341368415_c97d188efa.jpg

Sports Pack Edition with 2 sports games

Sega-Dreamcast-Sports-Black-Console.jpg

Sakura Wars Limited Edition

DCSakura.jpg

More Limited Editions:

Hello Kitty LE

DSC02138.jpg
Bought one of these in 2010 that was advertised as NIB, but ended up returning it because it had been used. :( Was an interesting transaction, as the seller was from Canada, but visiting NYC, so she brought it with her and left it at the front desk. When I took it back, she left an envelope with $50 for "cab fare."

Dreamcast is one of my all time favorite systems ever. It didn't last long, but I probably had more fun with the Dreamcast than I have any other console aside from the NES and SNES.

My favorite game on the console period is Phantasy Star Online. I played the shit out of that game for years and even splurged for the broadband adapter and imported the keyboard controller for the Gamecube release. I loved PSO and would love to play it again on Vita if Sega would ever release the sequel in North America, but at this point I doubt that will ever happen.  :cry:

Other games I loved for the console:

Skies of Arcadia 

Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2

Makken X

Powerstone 1 & 2

Street Fighter Third Strike

WWF Royal Rumble (Not a great game, but I enjoyed it and my copy is autographed by Kurt Angle)

Jet Grind Radio was amazing.

Power Stone 2 was great fun.

Wacky Races (the DC version, not the PS2 version) was leagues ahead of other karters when it came out.

Skies of Arcadia was all unskippable bullshit in-fight animations.

Actually mine is more a request.  If anyone sees the Illbleed pre-order premium, the Eriko Christie figure, in her action figure packaged or mint ANYWHERE, online(Japan auction or otherwise), B&M please message me asap.  I have been wanting that action figure for who knows how long.

The Dreamcast controller was one of the weakest parts of an otherwise fine system. The analog stick was hard plastic on top, and rounded outwards. Your finger would invariably slip off of it. The four face buttons on the right were not that responsive and had a tendency to wear out very quickly.

One of the reasons I enjoyed the Dreamcast as much as I did was because I hooked it up to an arcade cabinet that I had built. With full arcade controls, the Dreamcast becomes an unquestionable must-have. Nearly every game on it played better with a solid joystick and arcade micro-switches.

Not to mention the controller was plain ugly, too.

I liked it for the analog triggers. I enjoyed racing/karting games so they were good for that. I agree on the response on the 4 buttons, that was a big issue with Power Stone, however I didn't have slip issues with the directional stick. Then again I'm a gentle touch (the type to yell "don't force it!" at others when they molest my controllers).

The biggest feature of the controller was the VMU, obviously, and after all this time, I'm still undecided on it. It's that way with a lot of Dreamcast stuff. I suppose I think of the VMU as I think of all the risky games they put out, all the weird titles that felt at the time like they were too far ahead of the game. Sega tried, at least.

The biggest feature of the controller was the VMU, obviously, and after all this time, I'm still undecided on it. It's that way with a lot of Dreamcast stuff. I suppose I think of the VMU as I think of all the risky games they put out, all the weird titles that felt at the time like they were too far ahead of the game. Sega tried, at least.
I think that several companies (Sony, Nintendo, etc.) missed the boat at the time by not including simple LCD screens in their controller. It would have made Madden games on the couch much more interesting if you could pick plays on your controller. Sadly, the way the screen was inset so far into the Dreamcast controller didn't really help.

Also, I still don't understand why they thought attaching the cord to the user side of the controller was such a brilliant idea.

Shenmue also needs to be mentioned as it has the greatest voiceover of all time
2 minutes of bad voiceovers for 50+ hours of great content. Rough, but for the time it was mindblowing. And can't forget it's open world and QTE elements that have influenced proceeding games endlessly. Shenmue does not get enough love.

Some of the unlicensed indie releases have been pretty good like Rush Rush Rally Rally. If anyone is unfamiliar with these, I recommend giving them a shot. I believe there are still more releases planned.

2 minutes of bad voiceovers for 50+ hours of great content. Rough, but for the time it was mindblowing. And can't forget it's open world and QTE elements that have influenced proceeding games endlessly. Shenmue does not get enough love.
I still think Sega needs to do a Telltale approach to Shenmue. Make Shenmue 3 multiple episodes, each one costing $5. Keep the episodes linear and strait to the point lasting only 2-3 hours. Throw in some Virtua Fighter and QTE moments. Boom, fans are happy, and Suzuka can finally avoid constant harassment.

"Fun" story: The very first day the local Best Buy opened, I purchased Atari Anniversary and a couple of other Dreamcast games in anticipation of buying the console sports pack that was going to be on sale for the "official" grand opening.  I absolutely loved the Dreamcast and the original 2K sports games blew the doors off the stale EA offerings.  However, after playing everything else I bought for a week, I noticed that the cashier forgot to remove it from one of those plastic anti-theft containers from the Atari game.

A few days later, I returned and walked right up to the guy working security at the door, explained what had happened, and asked him if he could have this taken care of.  As he was helping me, one of the managers walked over and thinking he was speaking too softly to hear, began accusing me of having stolen the game and was telling the associate that they should confiscate the game until I produced a receipt and proved that I didn't steal it.  The associate told him that he saw me walk in with the game and was certain I hadn't stolen anything.  When he came back over and handed me the game I asked him to deliver a message to his supervisor.  

I said, "Tell him I could hear him just fine, that if I was going to steal a game, it would have been something better than [friggin'] Pong and that if he had held onto this game, I would have shown him this receipt here and made a whole scene.  Thank you."

I'd like to say now that my other experiences with that particular store have been much better.  I'd like to say that.

I tried getting into Evolution but it got very boring very quick.

Anyone play through either EGG (Elemental Gimmick Gear) or Time Stalkers?

I'm trying to buy both of those, really regret selling EGG back in the day.  I hear that's the one to play after the high end stuff like Skies and Grandia II.

bread's done
Back