CAGcast #392: Our Favorites of 2014

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang discusses their favorite games and biggest disappointments of 2014, the end of the Xbox One price cut, 4K TVs, NES Ultimate Remix, and so much more!
Download (1 hour 24 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://audioboom.com/boos/2782177-cagcast-392-our-favorites-of-2014

Grab the free CAGcast app for iOS and Android! 

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Outro

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Temporary podcast studio by CheapyD, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy: I'd be willing to bet that more kids will be getting school lunches as time goes on. We wanted to make lunches for our kid (also in 1st grade) and that lasted maybe a month before giving up and just doing school lunches.

Homemade Lunch always sucks bread gets too soggy or jellyish whatever.  I always used to have my mom put pb the bread, then put the jelly seperate container.  And same w/ Tuna.  And w/ Turkey mayo seperate.

School lunch after middle school goes from "meh" to pretty good.  Except when it doesnt. 

Also buy tie  a 12 pack of soda to sell for a dollar a pop if he wants to make some money

And Funk of TItans has GWG written allll over it.

Please tone down the word crimes for this year.

caring.png

Dragon Age: Inquisition got a huge GOTY list boost from releasing when it did. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my time with the game but a lot of it feels very average and it kinda makes me wonder if people just didn't play many RPGs on the PC this year.

There are 4K Blu Ray discs you can buy. Here's Ghostbusters mastered in 4K: http://smile.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Mastered-Single-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B00BPA2PBG/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1420753104&sr=8-43&keywords=blu+ray+4k

That being said, it will be many years until 4k is standard I'm willing to bet. Might even end up in HD DVDs.

My parents would make my lunch, unless there was something good on the lunch menu that day. The people that always got school lunches were the poor kids with poor kid food vouchers.

Lastly, do you guys have your Xbox One's in stand by mode all the time? I did my first week, and it would get wonky so I turned standby off. Now it works fine because it's not on 24/7.

There are 4K Blu Ray discs you can buy. Here's Ghostbusters mastered in 4K: http://smile.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Mastered-Single-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B00BPA2PBG/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1420753104&sr=8-43&keywords=blu+ray+4k

That being said, it will be many years until 4k is standard I'm willing to bet. Might even end up in HD DVDs.
From what I understand those blu-ray don't output 4k just very clean 1080p. A 4k blu-ray player was just announced at CES the other day. http://www.cnet.com/news/panasonic-unveils-prototype-4k-blu-ray-player/

Good show, guys. It was a hard couple weeks there without you three.

The hate for Destiny is strong. I guess I really wasn't expecting much out of Destiny though, actually I had no intentions on buying it and then I played the beta. That changed everything for me. I guess I can see how it can disappoint the way it was advertised. 

So they're kind of lying with these discs.....
Like most marketing, they aren't exactly lying, they are trying to confuse people into buying them. These blu-ray discs have video that was down-converted from a 4k master, so it's the best quality that it can be in 1080.

Regarding the Xbox one issues. I was having the freezing issue and this other issue where during playing games the system would spit out the disc. It drove me insane. After a googling research session I found some posts saying to send the Xbox one in BUT also posts stating to remove themselves from the preview dashboard and it will fix the issue.

With nothing to lose I opted out of the preview program. And almost right after. All my problems stopped.

Now I'm not sure if that's just random luck or related but it might be the reason for you guys. Just a thought

It's easy to write off Titanfall as an abandoned game if you stopped playing it after a few weeks, but it has received many updates, additions, and bug fixes in addition to the 3 expansion packs.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/titanfall/Patches_and_Updates

I still play the game a lot, and there are literally thousands of players at all times on the Xbox One.  The PC version is undeniably sparse, but it's still easy to get into games of Attrition.

I find Titanfall to be one of the most fun multiplayer games I've played in years, and my personal pick for GotY (with Shadow of Mordor right behind it).

MjC

Everyone is different, Cheapy, but I personally loved when I first bought school lunch from the school. I think what Tai describes is crazy if he is actually talking about the whole school. When I was really young, like 1-3 grade, almost everyone brought their own lunch. But around 4th grade is when it shifted to become the norm to buy lunch from the cafeteria. So if it is seriously only 3 people for the whole school buying lunch, that is weird as hell.

I know for me, my mom made my lunch in the beginning but I think in 3rd grade is when she made me start doing it on my own. And I had always, always wanted to buy from the cafeteria because it seemed so cool. I believe 4th grade is when I finally asked if I could buy lunch from the cafeteria and she agreed, but not full-time. So I would pick out the days that sounded good from the calendar menu and the other days I would bring lunch. Eventually, I don't remember when, probably 5th grade, I just shifted into always buying lunch. And by middle school it definitely becomes the norm to buy lunch. In middle school and high school almost no one brought their own lunch... probably because that's when everyone's parents stops making it for them. And honestly the kids who don't bring their own lunch at that point are kind of left out, since everyone spending time in the lunch lines talks to each other while the kids with their bag lunch sit at the table waiting for people to get their lunches.

I'm with Shipwreck: I do not understand why people skip through dialogue in the BioWare games. That's like 70% or more of the game. Years ago I was watching one of my friends' brother play KotOR 2 on the Xbox and I noticed he was skipping every single dialogue and I was like what the hell are you doing? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all to skip things like that. The only time I ever do it is when it's alienspeak and the audio is just nonsense on a 20 second loop. Then I read and skip. Just seems like you're missing a large portion of those games by skipping.

I picked up that Wrong superhero game book when Shipwrecked tweeted it out that it was free. My brother gave me his old Kindle for Christmas (that's actually more thoughtful than it sounds; it wasn't his only gift to me) and I had nothing to read on it so it was perfect timing. I don't even really have much interest in comic book stuff and most of these games are older than me or came out around the time I was born so I've played none of them. Regardless, it's still an entertaining book. Like Wombat says, it is the perfect toilet book. That is exactly how I am reading it.

School lunches are fine. If you're worried stop by and have lunch with him, I miss those days of going to lunch at my kids school.

I haven't played enough new games in 2014 for me to actually make a top five, if anything counts, I would end up making Fantasy Life my #1 by default.

If anything my list would consist of old games like Burnout Paradise, L.A. Noire, Batman Arkham City, Final Fantasy X. No particular order. I did play a 2013 game, Deadpool, but I am stuck in the last battle so can't bump it up too high.

Anyway, that bathroom is a nightmare, especially for a big guy like CheapyD. You might have to buy some kind of sound absorbing folding cubicle if the toilet is becoming a huge pain.

I hope Detective Tai gets you the answers ChiefyD, regarding the mystery of the School Lunch.

I'm curious what the median income is for the parents of Tai's schoolmates.  Most likely the other parents have their maids/butlers make lunch for their kids.

Wombat are you REALLY going to start a Patreon and collect hipster welfare? You're too good for that. Say it ain't so. You're liberal but surely you're not a SJW feminist, or are you? But you could collect 2 grand a month for producing nothing, just like Zoe Quinn and Brianna Wu.

Weird Cagcast. I think the show has jumped the shark. Cheapy sounds like he's just going through the motions these days or he's having some kind of existential crisis. Divinity? Is that a game or a Cinemax skin flick from the 80's? I swear that movie came on after Emmanuelle. Wombat makes a dozen jokes, laughs at them, but there's utter silence from Cheapy and Shipwreck. You can feel the disdain they have for Wombat. But Cheapy's #1 and #2 are also my picks, so all is not lost.

I think the reason people didn't understand what Destiny is prior to release is that there is no way to sum it up in one sentence.  Calling it a "shared world" experience was the easiest way to do that, but it really didn't explain much.  I think it scratches the same itch that playing Call of Duty and prestiging scratches, rather than the Diablo loot grind.  I'm still hooked.  I'm finally able to do the raids and they are fantastic.  Just Destinylfg.com and you can find a group very quickly for almost any activity.

I think the reason people didn't understand what Destiny is prior to release is that there is no way to sum it up in one sentence. Calling it a "shared world" experience was the easiest way to do that, but it really didn't explain much. I think it scratches the same itch that playing Call of Duty and prestiging scratches, rather than the Diablo loot grind. I'm still hooked. I'm finally able to do the raids and they are fantastic. Just Destinylfg.com and you can find a group very quickly for almost any activity.
I agree, Destiny reminds me more of Phantasy Star Online than anything else in terms of how the game is set up and designed. PSO is one of my favorite games of all time, so I love Destiny for the same reasons. I definitely would like to see some improvements made and am confident that the sequel will be a vastly more critically acclaimed release as a result. For what it is though Destiny is a very well put together game from a design stand point and it's one of the best looking games out right now.

Destiny has a lot of haters, but ultimately it's one of the most played games online on any console right now and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Destiny is also one of my top 5 games of the year, simply due to how much time I have spent playing and how much I have enjoyed that time.

Both my kids always would rather bring their lunch. The only get about 20 minutes for lunch and waiting in line takes too much time. It's a pain to think of lunches but a good thermos goes a long way.

I think it's important to realize part of the reason Titanfall is so content sparse is that it only had a team of 60ish people behind it. Bit unfair to lump it in with Destiny with Bungie's 500+ person team and their 500 million dollar budget. I'd say if you look at the big picture of 2014 Titanfall was quite an accomplishment being a new idea and a stable non broken game.

bread's done
Back