* * * * * 78 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#95131 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5114 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hmm, Forza Horizon 3 is running pretty bad on my new PC, even in low settings. Dropped the resolution to 1600x900. 30FPS.

Constant video and audio stuttering. Sometimes the FPS drops to 0. Is it possible the game isn't optimized well? V-Sync is turned off in game.

Specs: 3GB GTX 1060. 8GB Ram. Core i5-7400 CPU

It had issues early on but most seem to think its been improved upon...  Its a damn pain in the ass though as any update to windows can easily affect Windows 10 games... but in this case your below the minimum for a number of requirements.

Recommended CPU i7 3820 @ 3.6GHz GPU NVIDIA GTX 970 or NVIDIA GTX 1060   AMD R9 290X or AMD RX 480 VRAM 4GB RAM 12GB Hard Drive Type HDD Available Space 55 GB Resolution 1920 x 1080 Windows Version Windows Anniversary Edition 64-bit 14393.101

https://www.forzamot...ws/FH3_GoneGold

#95132 spoderman  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

It had issues early on but most seem to think its been improved upon...  Its a damn pain in the ass though as any update to windows can easily affect Windows 10 games... but in this case your below the minimum for a number of requirements.

Recommended CPU i7 3820 @ 3.6GHz GPU NVIDIA GTX 970 or NVIDIA GTX 1060   AMD R9 290X or AMD RX 480 VRAM 4GB RAM 12GB Hard Drive Type HDD Available Space 55 GB Resolution 1920 x 1080 Windows Version Windows Anniversary Edition 64-bit 14393.101

https://www.forzamot...ws/FH3_GoneGold

They aren't the minimum though, they're recommended. I couldn't find a set of official minimum requirements, but I doubt his processor is an issue.

Anyway, I did see one youtube video running at 60 FPS on "very high" settings with the same processor and GTX1060 6G, but it would be best to upgrade the ram to get that out of the way.

GUtUP1U.jpg

#95133 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6617 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

What brand/model would you guys recommend if I upgrade my RAM?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Gamertag - ITS DAT DAM KID. NNID: Its_Pikachu.</span>

#95134 letskissthesky   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   569 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

letskissthesky

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hmm, Forza Horizon 3 is running pretty bad on my new PC, even in low settings. Dropped the resolution to 1600x900. 30FPS.

Constant video and audio stuttering. Sometimes the FPS drops to 0. Is it possible the game isn't optimized well? V-Sync is turned off in game.

I have it on PC as well. It definitely has some issues as I've read around the internet. For the most part it runs decently smooth for me. I have it set on high at 30fps and I only have a little stuttering from time to tim but not often. I noticed even if I lower the graphics to medium and raise the fps to 60 I have a lot of stuttering issues.

I'm also running this on a laptop with an i7-7th gen processor, 1050ti and 16gb of ram.
Posted Image

#95135 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5114 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

They aren't the minimum though, they're recommended. I couldn't find a set of official minimum requirements, but I doubt his processor is an issue.

I imagine 60 fps at a modern resolution and decent details is the recommended setting... The fact it runs says it's over the minimum.

As for RAM vs Processor. The RAM is an easier and, likely, far cheaper upgrade and needs to be done anyways so starting with it is a good idea but my time on the Forza messageboards really has me convinced that 4 threads is just too low for FH3.

I only have a 970x (without really digging around I think is an equal card, more ram (3.5 vs 3 GB) but a slower clockspeed, and hit 60+ fps the bulk of the time at 1080p Very High. (I do have more RAM and a 8 threads i7.)

Edit: I just ran a lap Goliath, its the race around the outskirts of the map, with no frame locks and maybe one dropped to 70 but mostly ran in the 80s.  Also there is no very high, only ultra and high.  I was in high at 1080P.   

#95136 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3079 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

Who's ready for the Spectrum/Comcast/Infinity/Broadband loot boxes?  You get a 1:100000000 chance of getting a fiber optic link/server/and 10000Gbps switch installed in your house for free!  (you have a 50:1 chance of getting  1Mbps)  These odds thanks to Chinese law requiring basic odds information.

This guy is first in line:

14-ajit-pai.w600.h315.2x.jpg

#95137 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5114 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

Really depends upon price. I trust most of the major brands so it would come down to what the motherboard supports and the best bang for your buck.

#95138 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4383 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

I was running an i5 4670k / 8gb RAM / and a GTX 770 2gb before and I was running it at a lowered res ok .  It did stutter from time to time and I kept getting a low video memory error but it was still playable.  I upgraded to 16gb RAM and a 1060 6gb card and it's been working great with no issues.  I have to check, but I think I am running on high settings at 1080p with 60 fps.

fs_overall.png

#95139 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4383 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Have you cleaned the PC from bloatware too?  I found this on the SD thread: https://www.theinqui...re-onto-its-pcs

fs_overall.png

#95140 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

First thing I would do is open up the case and take a look inside to see how many RAM slots you have and how many sticks are in there.  If it's 2x4GB and you only have two slots you would need 2x8GB and right now that would cost you almost as much as the computer.  If it's 2x4GB and you have 4 slots, then it's be better or if you had 1x8GB you would need another 8GB stick.  I would only upgrade if it was the last two scenarios, otherwise, the price is not worth it.  Honestly, right now even 8GB of RAM is so overpriced I might recommend against it and just suggest you try to play with the settings to see if you can get it playable and if not just put Forza on the back burner until RAM prices get better or you find a good deal. 

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

#95141 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10319 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

According to Amazon's page for the same tower: "The board supports 32gb (Lies, see below) but only has two slots on it. It comes stock with 2 x 4gb sticks" also it uses DDR4-2400 (PC4-17000).

As noted, RAM is currently ridiculously expensive (why is that?  I haven't been keeping up) and two 8GB sticks would run you nearly $200.  Yowsers.

Edit: Supposedly DDR4 chips are expensive now because they're being used in mobile devices and smart phones so supply is low due to everything that beeps and has a screen using them.

Extra Edit: The system in question has the Odense2-K motherboard which states a memory limit of 16GB.  It also says you can use 4GB+8GB to hit 12GB although most people upgrade in matched pairs.  If you did decide to get a single 8GB stick, make sure it matches the 4GB in specifications (and I would attempt to use the same manufacturer).  Crucial.com does a scan that tells you exactly what you've got for memory which should help.

#95142 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

According to Amazon's page for the same tower: "The board supports 32gb (Lies, see below) but only has two slots on it. It comes stock with 2 x 4gb sticks" also it uses DDR4-2400 (PC4-17000).

As noted, RAM is currently ridiculously expensive (why is that?  I haven't been keeping up) and two 8GB sticks would run you nearly $200.  Yowsers.

Edit: Supposedly DDR4 chips are expensive now because they're being used in mobile devices and smart phones so supply is low due to everything that beeps and has a screen using them.

Extra Edit: The system in question has the Odense2-K motherboard which states a memory limit of 16GB.  It also says you can use 4GB+8GB to hit 12GB although most people upgrade in matched pairs.  If you did decide to get a single 8GB stick, make sure it matches the 4GB in specifications (and I would attempt to use the same manufacturer).  Crucial.com does a scan that tells you exactly what you've got for memory which should help.

Just to show how inflated the prices are currently, the same set of 16GB RAM (2x8GB) I bought during BF for $137.99 is around $210 right now, so even with the inflated prices this year, the prices currently are still insane.  

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

#95143 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10319 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:07 PM

Also, that is one tiny motherboard.  Which doesn't affect how well it operates or anything but I bet it's a pain to work with.  After the last time I did a build using a mini-ATX, I swore that my next build would use a motherboard the size of a car hood.

By the way, none of this should diminish the fact that your purchase for $200 was a great one and I'd still have jumped on it in a New York minute if it was available near me.  And, Forza aside, there's virtually every current game that should play on it from a range of "acceptable" to "Runs great on high+ settings at 1080".

In game deals related news, I Gilby'd the DLC sale for The Division and then realized that it's on sale from Ubi yet again tomorrow.  So let's see if I remember it then.  Weilier and I hit 30 yesterday and were enjoying ourselves so this would be the soft spot to make me purchase more content.

#95144 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5114 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

Just to show how inflated the prices are currently, the same set of 16GB RAM (2x8GB) I bought during BF for $137.99 is around $210 right now, so even with the inflated prices this year, the prices currently are still insane.

The 2x8 GB that I bought in 2016 for $99 is 213 bucks today... It's only DDR3.

I feel I've invested poorly with my 401K. I should have been buying RAM.

#95145 Motiv   A Deuterium persona CAGiversary!   2350 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

RAM prices are so  Fuck ridiculous. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a new PC build so I've been stalking the weekly Newegg exclusive promotion emails. I unfortunately missed out on the Black Friday RAM deals due to poor judgement and indecisiveness. Although, I've seen some Corsair, GeIL, and G.Skill 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2400 and 3000 sets hit close to Black Friday prices ($159-$170). I still have a hard time believing that is considered a "deal" today.

PSN: Deuterium

#95146 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20132 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

RAM prices are so  Fuck ridiculous. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a new PC build so I've been stalking the weekly Newegg exclusive promotion emails. I unfortunately missed out on the Black Friday RAM deals due to poor judgement and indecisiveness. Although, I've seen some Corsair, GeIL, and G.Skill 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2400 and 3000 sets hit close to Black Friday prices ($159-$170). I still have a hard time believing that is considered a "deal" today.

Yep, I didn't even realize I got such a "deal" during BF.  I was looking at different sets and honestly I wanted a GeIL RGB set that was slightly cheaper, but it wasn't Ryzen certified and I read so many nightmare stories about incompatible RAM so I went with the cheapest Ryzen certified set even if it was slower than the other deals.  Got the G. Skill Flare 2400 and a couple days ago when I was getting a bit frustrated at not being able to find a GPU that was to my liking I considered just sending everything back and pushing my build back a bit, but then I saw how RAM prices had jumped and decided I'd keep everything. 

#95147 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8691 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

I don't understand the draw of crafting a millions badges for mystery cards. Is there somehow profit in it or is it just a plus for badge collecting?

I only crafted 36 badges, and those were mostly made with dupes from booster packs obtained via trading sites.

I have not even spent a single penny so far. And I'm already (in theory) about 15-20 bucks in profit, once I list all of these in the market.

#95148 Motiv   A Deuterium persona CAGiversary!   2350 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

Yep, I didn't even realize I got such a "deal" during BF.  I was looking at different sets and honestly I wanted a GeIL RGB set that was slightly cheaper, but it wasn't Ryzen certified and I read so many nightmare stories about incompatible RAM so I went with the cheapest Ryzen certified set even if it was slower than the other deals.  Got the G. Skill Flare 2400 and a couple days ago when I was getting a bit frustrated at not being able to find a GPU that was to my liking I considered just sending everything back and pushing my build back a bit, but then I saw how RAM prices had jumped and decided I'd keep everything. 

Smart Fox!

I actually picked up the alien looking GeIL super luce RGB RAM because I was just tired of waiting. I went with an Intel build but I did read about the Ryzen certification worry regarding the difference in the GeIL sets. I was kind of skeptical about that brand until I read some reviews and was less worried when I learned it used Micron b-die chips. I've used G.Skill in the past and have great success with their RAM. G.Skill was my preference going in but the timing and price were off.

PSN: Deuterium

#95149 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5203 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

Also, that is one tiny motherboard.  Which doesn't affect how well it operates or anything but I bet it's a pain to work with.  After the last time I did a build using a mini-ATX, I swore that my next build would use a motherboard the size of a car hood.

By the way, none of this should diminish the fact that your purchase for $200 was a great one and I'd still have jumped on it in a New York minute if it was available near me.  And, Forza aside, there's virtually every current game that should play on it from a range of "acceptable" to "Runs great on high+ settings at 1080".

Yeah, some games aren't going to run great on low-ish spec PCs, and Microsoft isn't really going to go out of its way to tweak its signature racing series for low-end PCs too much, because it's not worth it. Most folks running racing sims on PCs have fancier rigs because they want to see the paint scrape off the fender when they run into trees at 200mph. However, that's a solid PC at that price to be sure and it should run a fair number of games well.

1819.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#95150 waabulo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   913 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

Just a heads up for those interested:

store.ubi.com

check tomorrow Dec. 19 2017 as Ubi has been on the 12 day sale and will put all back on sale on the 19th.  Today is sale on Watchdog 1 and 2.

also free game (if did not already have it)

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

layers of fear with soundtrack

http://store.steampo...Layers_of_Fear/

#95151 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1135 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

I only crafted 36 badges, and those were mostly made with dupes from booster packs obtained via trading sites.

I have not even spent a single penny so far. And I'm already (in theory) about 15-20 bucks in profit, once I list all of these in the market.

36 badges = 36 Mystery cards right? How are you going to make $15-20 off of that.

#95152 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10319 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

36 badges = 36 Mystery cards right? How are you going to make $15-20 off of that.

Volume!

#95153 Tomasety   LatinLover CAGiversary!   2106 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Tomasety

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

Who's ready for the Spectrum/Comcast/Infinity/Broadband loot boxes?  You get a 1:100000000 chance of getting a fiber optic link/server/and 10000Gbps switch installed in your house for free!  (you have a 50:1 chance of getting  1Mbps)  These odds thanks to Chinese law requiring basic odds information.

This guy is first in line:

14-ajit-pai.w600.h315.2x.jpg

DRQy9_JUQAAI3xQ.jpg

3DJNlRq.png

#95154 BrownDerby   🐟 CAGiversary!   670 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

BrownDerby

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

Fire Pro Wrestling World is out of early access today, and is 33% off ($13.39). After winter sale they're increasing the regular price to $29.99, so get it now.

uLNpWnq.png

#95155 spoderman  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

DRQy9_JUQAAI3xQ.jpg

GUtUP1U.jpg

#95156 Pengy99  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

First thing I would do is open up the case and take a look inside to see how many RAM slots you have and how many sticks are in there.  If it's 2x4GB and you only have two slots you would need 2x8GB and right now that would cost you almost as much as the computer.  If it's 2x4GB and you have 4 slots, then it's be better or if you had 1x8GB you would need another 8GB stick.  I would only upgrade if it was the last two scenarios, otherwise, the price is not worth it.  Honestly, right now even 8GB of RAM is so overpriced I might recommend against it and just suggest you try to play with the settings to see if you can get it playable and if not just put Forza on the back burner until RAM prices get better or you find a good deal. 

I was thinking the same. If I had bought that comp for $200 I would just roll with my great deal rather than buying overpriced memory. That machine will handle 99% of the games out there well enough as long as you aren't looking for max settings.

#95157 BellardB   Get your head in the game! CAGiversary!   489 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Layers Of Fear:

4K0AJ-PLYZ3-38AF8

#95158 Preedatore   Hamburger Thread CAGiversary!   1521 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

My RAM has "only" gone up $70 since I bought in May. I wouldn't let $70 deter me from a new build though.

#95159 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5203 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hey, if any of you nerds are on Xbox, pm me your gamertag so we can be frenemies.  :pc:  :xb1:  :-

1819.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#95160 smackattack   Seriously? CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

smackattack

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

In game deals related news, I Gilby'd the DLC sale for The Division and then realized that it's on sale from Ubi yet again tomorrow.  So let's see if I remember it then.  Weilier and I hit 30 yesterday and were enjoying ourselves so this would be the soft spot to make me purchase more content.

So what division dlc's are even worth the time?  Dont know how interested im into pvp stuff.  Probably running around the dark zone with the bros will be enough of that for me.  Some extra coop missions id be down for if the price is right

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC, Steam, Origin, Uplay, DRM-Free