* * * * * 78 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#100231 DonaldBlank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   809 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

DonaldBlank

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

I expect it's more an excuse to sunset old and abandoned games.  "Don't blame us for shutting down this game that gets 15 players a month; the government made us do it."

I mean, I'm sure it legitimately breaks the rules but the devs see it cheaper/easier/better to shut it down than to fix it.

According to an article I'm reading, they're not breaking any rules. But because the laws are too vague, they're worried about getting fined on a game no one plays.

#100232 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10687 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

Dev's could always re-work games to make offline modes and/or add LAN support.

Why?  No one is playing them now.  Even fewer people are going to host a Mirage LAN party.

#100233 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24015 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

Why?  No one is playing them now.  Even fewer people are going to host a Mirage LAN party.

Why not? Why let the game content go to waste?

This way, players can play offline against bots and/or either against other players locally.

Quake 3 Arena still has an offline mode and works, you know - if I want to play it alone.

Why can't Uber give this the same treatment?

#100234 synnarc   Lord of the VRAM CAGiversary!   1542 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

Why not? 

Because $

#100235 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5288 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

I'm sure no rando indie game will be sued. EU is going to be too bysy wtih facebook, google and all the ad networks.

#100236 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10687 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

Why not?

Because that takes time which means spending money.  For a dead game.

I'm sure no rando indie game will be sued.

Agreed.  But it makes a handy excuse when someone invariably whines about why a dead game got shut down.

#100237 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7445 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Dev's could always re-work games to make offline modes and/or add LAN support.

Sure, and RDR could get ported to PC, and I could fall in love and marry a Swedish supermodel this fall. 

aren't "coulds" great?

I could find a $100 bill sticking out of a midget's asshole in the Dewalt power tools section at Fleet Farm today. 

#100238 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24015 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

Sure, and RDR could get ported to PC, and I could fall in love and marry a Swedish supermodel this fall. 

aren't "coulds" great?

Still waiting for that RDR PC port...

fe7.gif

EDIT:

Because $

Bots and offline mode should've been put in there already, in the first place.

With so many MP games out there already, they should've been prepared for player numbers to die down and dwindle in the first place. It's inevitable.

Plus, it could add a whole new fanbase: SP only players.

#100239 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10687 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

Bots and offline mode should've been put in there already, in the first place.

With so many MP games out there already should've been prepared for player numbers to die down and dwindle in the first place. It's inevitable.

Costs money to add it in the first place.  Since the games bombed, that would have been an even greater financial loss.  They made the right call by not bothering with it.

#100240 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7445 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Still waiting for that RDR PC port...

MysterD, I like you.  But you've got to stop Port-Begging.  It's an incredibly obnoxious type of forum posting behavior. 

#100241 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10687 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:26 PM

Three more times and maybe the RDR devs who post in this thread will finally do it!

#100242 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24015 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

MysterD, I like you.  But you've got to stop Port-Begging.  It's an incredibly obnoxious type of forum posting behavior. 

You mentioned the RDR PC port first today over at #100237, not me.

You knew I'd take the so called "bait" like a fish, on the hook and all...and respond.

EDIT:

Three more times and maybe the RDR devs who post in this thread will finally do it!

That would be pretty awesome, but...I think we might have a better chance of Sunset Overdrive hitting PC.

#100243 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8445 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

in the year 2071 when devs decide to rockstar is bored and decides it will be a good year to remind people of the ancient west that existed in the now defunct united states territories they will release RDR on PC and Mysterd will have the last laugh

#100244 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10687 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

in the year 2071 when devs decide to rockstar is bored and decides it will be a good year to remind people of the ancient west that existed in the now defunct united states territories they will release RDR on PC and Mysterd will have the last laugh

I'll be well dead by 2071 (or at least wishing I was) so no worries.  He can have that one.

#100245 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24015 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

Okay, so has RDR for a PC port been mentioned "3 more times" by now...or what?

#100246 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1644 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

That would be pretty awesome, but...I think we might have a better chance of Sunset Overdrive hitting PC.

ahem

https://www.pcgamer....n-rating-board/

#100247 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24015 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Exactly why I made the comment.

#100248 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7445 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

You mentioned the RDR PC port first today over at #100237, not me.

You knew I'd take the so called "bait" like a fish, on the hook and all...and respond.

You were already having a discussion asking for an offline-mode / LAN mode conversion.  It's the same thing.  It's nonsensical begging for another version of a game, especially when it's an older game.  You do it all the time, and it seems like you think its funny, clever, or interesting when you bring it up.  I'm just saying that it's a frowned-upon type of posting behavior.  It also seems like you are unaware of this.  You've done this literally hundreds of times before I actually said something, so I don't think there's reason to take offense either.

#100249 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24015 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

You were already having a discussion asking for an offline-mode / LAN mode conversion.  It's the same thing.  It's nonsensical begging for another version of a game, especially when it's an older game.  You do it all the time, and it seems like you think its funny, clever, or interesting when you bring it up.  I'm just saying that it's a frowned-upon type of posting behavior.  It also seems like you are unaware of this.  You've done this literally hundreds of times before I actually said something, so I don't think there's reason to take offense either. 

Why should these games w/ actual content go to waste, not to be played by one person who actually might've actually liked it?

These companies should be prepared ahead of time, with a SP Patch ready to go when it's about time to pull the MP plug. Unless the game is a juggernaut and completely reinvents the MP wheel, it's not gonna last long in the MP Space. Too much there, too much competition. It'll basically be a rental.

Offline SP stuff can last forever, even if its just a skirmish mode against bots. I still can run Q3A offline and HGL even, at my own leisure. If those were MP-Only games - by now, those two would be dead. In fact, we know for sure: one of those is dead on the MP side (HGL); thank God for it having a SP mode.

Also, even Square's thinking about maybe doing FFXI Offline Version - https://www.destruct...xi-503431.phtml

Hope it comes to fruition and more companies think about doing such a thing, once their MP game becomes less-played online...and it isn't economically worthwhile to really keep servers up.

EDIT:

BTW, I'm not offended at all. I'm just pointing it out that for once, I actually didn't bring up the RDR PC port today first.

#100250 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6052 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

Pizza.

Discuss.

#100251 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3271 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

What's the longest time you've ever had to idle a game to get all of it's cards? I know I've had some take longer, but this bundle shit hive jump just rolled over to 6 hours... 6 Fuck ing hours!?!

#100252 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2820 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

Who knew there were Swedish models of color? (NFSW Warning: there's a boob in this link)

#100253 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24015 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

Pizza.

Discuss.

Capone's, Santarpio's, and Pizzeria Regina are all great IMHO.

EDIT:

In particular, hard to top a Capone's Meat Lovers for a specialty pizza IMHO. With so many different meats (bacon, pepperoni, sausage, etc) on there and also the interesting pick of shaved-steak, it becomes a bunch of different explosions and tastes everywhere.

Pizzeria Regina is traditional Italian-style pizza...but certainly one of the best at it, IMHO. Their sausage or pepperoni pizzas are great. Just delicious.

Nothing tastes like a Santarpio pizza. It just is different - but it's a great kind of different.

#100254 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5288 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

What's the longest time you've ever had to idle a game to get all of it's cards? I know I've had some take longer, but this bundle shit hive jump just rolled over to 6 hours... 6 Fuck ing hours!?!

There are man 12h+ games.

Absolute max is 8 drops * 2h per drop = 16h.

That is without penalty you've got from refunds (2-3h I think?)

#100255 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20432 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

If you're not doing the idlemaster trick, you're doing it wrong.

#100256 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   2884 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

Dungeon Defenders II took nearly 10 hours for me.

If you're not doing the idlemaster trick, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, it still works but can be inconsistent. I typically idle a batch of games for at least 6 min (0.1 hours), then do the rapid cycling. Sometimes I can get drops for most of the games, sometimes nothing drops at all and I retry the next day. I can't seem to determine if it's better to cycle through the games every couple seconds or let each one idle for ~10 seconds before skipping to the next one.

There's also a fork for Idle Master that can automate the whole process to avoid the tedious clicking, but I haven't tried it yet.

FYI for those trying to do the spring cleaning tasks (using Idle Master):

Within the cmd window navigate to the folder where you installed or unzipped IM then enter the following:

"steam-idle.exe ######"

(where ###### is the appid of the game)

That way you can quickly log playtime without actually playing/installing anything (to fulfill the spring cleaning tasks).

This also works for the "free weekend" games without installing them. Just navigate to that game's page and click "play game" to open the installation prompt within Steam. That registers the license for the free weekend to your account, then Idle Master is able to idle the game.

VJnJj90.gif

#100257 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8445 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

makes almost want to do something crazy and say  Fuck it and just play the game or something

#100258 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8436 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

I messed up and didn't do the daily tasks for the cleanup events on the first day...

Now I can't max my trophy.

sadjessicajonesvillain.webm

#100259 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14168 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

I messed up and didn't do the daily tasks for the cleanup events on the first day...

Now I can't max my trophy.

sadjessicajonesvillain.webm

That's David Tennant in a Doctor Who episode you uncultured swine.

#100260 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3271 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

makes almost want to do something crazy and say  Fuck it and just play the game or something

giphy.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC, Steam, Origin, Uplay, DRM-Free