* * * * * 79 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#101911 elessar123  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Back in my day, we used IDE cables that blocked everything.

#101912 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8428 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

scrubs

#101913 smackattack   Seriously? CAGiversary!   1228 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

smackattack

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

I wasn't at all fond of the thing by the time I stopped using it.  Difficult to get hands and fingers positioned to do anything; the drive cages had loosened; limited space for fitting a GPU.  I was happy to move on.  (I never did lan parties with it.  It was always just on my desk.)

I do miss the drawer, though.

i traveled with my case 2 to 3 times a month for 5 or 6 years.  How the hell did your drive cages get F'ed up?  I had one of those super big air coolers in mine too.  Wedged 2x 4890's in that case, blu ray drive, multiple hard drives.  Do not soil the Antec Lanboy name with your wingnuttery.  You owned some other case.

#101914 smackattack   Seriously? CAGiversary!   1228 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

smackattack

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:26 PM

I got my case from Goodwill.  It's this one:

https://www.amazon.c...1/dp/B006P88VNE

I don't plan on replacing it any time soon.  Hopefully one day I will mod and paint it into something cool.  

fox, you can live in that cosmos case should you ever become homeless.  those things are ridiculous.

#101915 smackattack   Seriously? CAGiversary!   1228 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

smackattack

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

I have this sexy beast for my case now

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16811119212

I live about 30 mins from coolermasters usa warehouse.  They do user focus groups and usually feed your face and kick down a free case or something for your time.  Ive got a fort of full tower cases.

#101916 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3312 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:16 PM

I have this sexy beast for my case now

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16811119212

I live about 30 mins from coolermasters usa warehouse.  They do user focus groups and usually feed your face and kick down a free case or something for your time.  Ive got a fort of full tower cases.

My case looks like that, except it's all black and there's no dumbass dragon image on the side glass. It's great and I've had it for almost a decade now, if my school learn'n ain't failed me.

#101917 yasqueen80  

yasqueen80

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:33 PM

I don't know anything about computer gaming. How is my laptop for it?

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
512GB PCIe Solid State Drive
16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5

#101918 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14223 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz

Good enough...for gaming on a laptop like a pleb.

#101919 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10758 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:56 PM

The processor and memory are fine. The 1050 is about as low as you can go for new modern gaming but should work for you at 1080 resolution and a willingness to turn graphic settings down as required.

#101920 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24130 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:02 AM

16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz

Should be doing quite well w/ the i7 7700 HQ and 16GB DDR4 2400mhz RAM. I also have these parts on my laptop - all good stuff. Though, I have a 1060 6GB on mine.

SSD's are great for quick boot times on OS's. Pretty much, press the button and it's already on. Very fast. Love them.

For you on the 1050 4GB: expect some gaming at 1080p @ 30fps or better (depends per game).

Look at the benchmark section for how decent your card is, on some actual games:

https://www.notebook...k.178614.0.html

IMHO, you did just fine. Solid stuff.

#101921 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8484 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:07 AM

Back in my day, we used IDE cables that blocked everything.

The cool kids hand sleeved the IDE cables round.

Just look at how cool these rounded IDE cables look with the cold cathode lights!

7_thumb.jpg

#101922 yasqueen80  

yasqueen80

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:58 AM

Should be doing quite well w/ the i7 7700 HQ and 16GB DDR4 2400mhz RAM. I also have these parts on my laptop - all good stuff. Though, I have a 1060 6GB on mine.

SSD's are great for quick boot times on OS's. Pretty much, press the button and it's already on. Very fast. Love them.

For you on the 1050 4GB: expect some gaming at 1080p @ 30fps or better (depends per game).

Look at the benchmark section for how decent your card is, on some actual games:
https://www.notebook...k.178614.0.html

IMHO, you did just fine. Solid stuff.

Yas, thank you, I didn't buy this laptop for gaming but might check some out now that I know it's good. I probably will be dealing more with indie games than blockbusters so sounds like it'll handle them just fine.

#101923 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10390 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:26 AM

A 1050 on an i7 can run most AAA games at good settings barring cutting edge stuff from 2017 to the present.

#101924 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3312 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:50 AM

You bastards! I don't know who the mastermind behind this whole seemingly innocent "case comparison" discussion is (or how you benefit from it), but I began searching some of your cases, which then starts linking to new CPUs, mobos and memory. Before I know it, boom! There I am comparing specs and prices, looking into where these components are in stock, doing my money maths and... even adding them to my cart!

Oh, yous...

Mark my words, I'll get to the bottom of this, if I find the time while looking at PC parts.

#101925 spoderman  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:54 AM

You bastards! I don't know who the mastermind behind this whole seemingly innocent "case comparison" discussion is (or how you benefit from it), but I began searching some of your cases, which then starts linking to new CPUs, mobos and memory. Before I know it, boom! There I am comparing specs and prices, looking into where these components are in stock, doing my money maths and... even adding them to my cart!

Oh, yous...

Mark my words, I'll get to the bottom of this, if I find the time while looking at PC parts.

Should've just bought the Dell

#101926 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4670 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:03 AM

i traveled with my case 2 to 3 times a month for 5 or 6 years.  How the hell did your drive cages get F'ed up?  I had one of those super big air coolers in mine too.  Wedged 2x 4890's in that case, blu ray drive, multiple hard drives.  Do not soil the Antec Lanboy name with your wingnuttery.  You owned some other case.

Don't know on the cages.  One tended to slip from its bracket if it had any weight in it, and two more looked to be getting there.

There was space to get components in, just no space to get hands in to install those components.  That wouldn't have been so bad if it had a motherboard tray.  It didn't.

#101927 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24130 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:24 AM

Yas, thank you, I didn't buy this laptop for gaming but might check some out now that I know it's good. I probably will be dealing more with indie games than blockbusters so sounds like it'll handle them just fine.

You shouldn't have trouble w/ most Indies. Unless a game's un-optimized (for whatever reason), you should be fine there.

For AA or AAA stuff - 1080p at Medium for 30fps-60fps seems like where you'll be sitting, given the benchies. The 1050 isn't a great card by any means, but it's certainly serviceable for 1080p30fps or better on most stuff.

If you are using the 15.6'' or 17'' monitors that often is built into the laptop - eh, you probably won't notice much difference b/t 900p or 1080p, if you really want to make sure you hit 60fps on some games. 720p though, you'll probably notice - so it'll be up to you to decide if you really feel the need to get it to a solid 60fps, if it ain't close to 60fps on a certain game at say 1080p.

I do suggest when you're using Steam, you go into Preferences and have the overlay show Framerates/Frames per second counter. You likely should aim for 30fps or 60fps. 60fps is usually preferred here. You'll really want 60fps for fast-paced action-y games - think like FPS or TPS's; or something like Bayonetta.

If you want to get more picky, like I can be and all - grab a 3rd party program like MSI Afterburner or NVidia Inspector - and you can set profiles for each game specifically where you want the framerate to cap at. I say, often cap at 30fps or 60fps, if you're capping.

If you really want to maximize framerates and take this stuff seriously, you can do all kinds of stuff to keep them frames up:

1. Don't use NVidia Hairworks. It's a framerate killer. Not worth the hits, just to have the hair look & move a bit better. Yeah, Lara Croft and Geralt's hair look way better w/ it on - but it ain't worth the framerate hits.

2. Turn V-Sync off on most games. That eats framerates for breakfast. V-Sync is a crummy method for syncing, especially when compared to FastSync (which is better) or G-Sync (which is amazing). If you get no real graphical tears or weirdness; and physics/animations don't go out the windows - keep it off. If things go wrong - no choice, put it back on; the dev's might've built the game around some kind of syncing needed to be on.

3. FastSync is an NVidia syncing thing - it's good, when it works. When using this, you get the benefits of No-Syncing w/ having much better framerates, but it does sync a bit by it selecting which frames are shown. Doesn't always show the best frames, though. And it doesn't always work though - as it didn't work well with Homefront: TR for me. So, if you find a game it works well on - yeah, stick with it.

4. If you throw off V-Sync, cap the game to 30fps or 60fps somehow - via NVidia Inspector, MSI Afterburner, or in-game option (if the game has an option in-game). Most games these days are built around those framerates - so weird stuff probably won't happen w/ No Sync with a 30 fps or No Sync at 60fps.

(Bethesda Engine games like Fallout 3/4/NV have lots of weird issues when not set at 30fps intervals - so make sure if you toss V-Sync off, you also cap the game at 30fps or 60fps PERIOD).

5. Use FXAA for your AA method. I normally use this since FXAA don't take any minor hits even' so you might as well use that for AA on most games. It's cheap and inexpensive. SMAA and MSAA are going to eat frames - so, it probably ain't worth touching those on most games for you.

6. Use weaker AO (Ambient Occlusion) or no AO. You don't really need it, as it just really helps enhance shadows to make them look better & more realistic.

7. About Depth of Field (DoF) and Motion Blur - you don't really need this stuff. A lot of this stuff is used to make the viewer focus on a certain spot in a frame (DoF) or blur the scene effect as if your eye/lens was blurred b/c maybe you moving around quick or something. Some like the effects, some don't. Not necessary, as it eats frames.

8. Keep draw distance on things decently, but overdo it. Have it draw enough, so you can see a fair amount of stuff in the distance; especially in open-world games - as long as performance stays nice. You don't need to have the game draw stuff ridiculous miles away, if you can barely see some stuff; what's the point? Do you really need foliage for trees/bushes drawing out on the other side of an island? That'll likely waste some frames.

There's some ideas and thoughts for you, if you really want to sink your teeth into this stuff.

Happy gaming!

#101928 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24130 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:32 AM

Oh, yous...

But, I have a Cooler Master HAF 932 case. It's HUGE with tons of open space. Tons of space to put all kinds of HDD's, DVD/BR drives, and lots of fans. Have had it since 2011 on this desktop PC.

#101929 DonaldBlank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   817 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

DonaldBlank

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:32 AM

The whole fun of Rise of the Tomb Raider was the hair physics though

#101930 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24130 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:43 AM

The whole fun of Rise of the Tomb Raider was the hair physics though

Not worth it. Nice to have them extra 15-20fps, you know?

#101931 Kelkeen   \mm/ \mm/ CAGiversary!   680 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:44 AM

Does anyone else find the word "moist" unsettling?  There is just something gross about it but I can put my finger on it.

#101932 DonaldBlank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   817 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

DonaldBlank

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:45 AM

Not worth it. Nice to have them extra 15-20fps, you know?

nah i agree, i have a GTX 1060 3gb and couldn't use it.

but the game would've been a better game if i could use it

#101933 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24130 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:46 AM

nah i agree, i have a GTX 1060 3gb and couldn't use it.

but the game would've been a better game if i could use it

I thought Rise of the TR was a fantastic game Without Hairworks.

Much better polished and realized of a game than TR 2013, IMHO.

#101934 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5328 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:57 AM

Well, you know what I always say: overclocking is for people who know what they're doing.

Eh, it's not really a matter of not knowing and more of I feel like I got better things to do with my free time than tinker with settings till I have max speed and stability.

#101935 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2834 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:58 AM

Does anyone else find the word "moist" unsettling?  There is just something gross about it but I can put my finger on it.

When I was in college, I was friends/classmates with this one woman who had 3 other female roommates. They each had a word that they hated the sound of; hers was moist. What makes this stick out to me, is that the four words of these ladies made a phrase of sorts: moist, supple, c*nt, flesh. Could come up with appropriate reasons to use three of the words (supple leather, moist cake, flesh tones) but none of us guys said jack about the fourth.

Apropos of nothing. 

#101936 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10758 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:07 AM

I feel like I got better things to do with my free time than tinker with settings till I have max speed and stability.

You're spending time posting here so I'm calling "lies" on this one :shame:

#101937 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5328 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:27 AM

You're spending time posting here so I'm calling "lies" on this one :shame:

I post at here at night (while at work, though I did squeeze one off tonight while gettibg ready to work) or my days off... On my normal post work mornings I have about an hour to an hour and a half to game... and that's what I want to do. Game. Not troubleshoot my PC cause I wanted to get five more FPS.

#101938 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24130 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

Every frame matters.

Especially true if you are at 60fps and do have some drops, every now and then. Best to not have those drops, if you don't have G-Sync - b/c you'll likely still notice drops; even if you get slapped to say 50fps. You will likely still feel & see the hit, slow-down, see the game stutter for a moment, or something.

G-Sync and high refresh rates are a game-changer. Nice to have no graphical tearing too. Nothing like running a game at 120 frames with 120hz monitor, taking what (otherwise) would be a nasty hit b/c you lost 30fps or so, winding up at 90fps from the hit, feels like no hit occurred b/c everything's so smooth w/ these crazy framerates over 60fps, and the game bounces back to 120fps like nothing occurred. Smooth.

#101939 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10758 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

I never notice frame rate drops unless I'm hitting sub-30 slide shows in which case I have bigger problems going on.  Hell, I barely notice frame rates above 30-40 and mainly use my FPS counter as an indicator of general "How well is this running the game?" and not "Oh my God, need three more frames".  I don't think I've never noticed screen tearing, which I understand is a thing but not a thing that I'm afflicted with or notice if I am.  I just watched a couple videos so I understand what it is but I never notice it affecting me.

I'm not denying that anyone else notices these things but apparently I have old man eyes or something and they go right past me.  Which is nice since I can play on my comfortably sized 27" screen without lamenting not having dropped $500 on a comparably sized G-Sync monitor.

#101940 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5328 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Every frame matters.

Especially true if you are at 60fps and do have some drops, every now and then. Best to not have those drops, if you don't have G-Sync - b/c you'll likely still notice drops; even if you get slapped to say 50fps. You will likely still feel & see the hit, slow-down, see the game stutter for a moment, or something.

G-Sync and high refresh rates are a game-changer. Nice to have no graphical tearing too. Nothing like running a game at 120 frames with 120hz monitor, taking what (otherwise) would be a nasty hit b/c you lost 30fps or so, winding up at 90fps from the hit, feels like no hit occurred b/c everything's so smooth w/ these crazy framerates over 60fps, and the game bounces back to 120fps like nothing occurred. Smooth.

I have G-Sync.  I also have old man eyes like Syntax and I don't notice drops till around 30 FPS and since I'm not trying to game on a 4K monitor I rarely see 30 FPS.