* * * * * 79 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#102751 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24165 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

DICE's Battlefront 2 is 66% off @ $13.33 also (on Origin).

Looks like Amazon Price-matched DICE's Star Wars: Battlefront 2 for $13.33 (instant access / Origin):

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B072BC5NCY/

Looks like I'm buying now, since I have some GC $ built-up from the Amazon DRM-FREE 2018 Debacle.

EDIT:

And...bought.

71 GB download.

#102752 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4367 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

alleged new 20xx series Turing card comparisons to their 10-series counterparts
http://cresponia.com...ming-this-year/

It looks like the sweet spots are still buying a new 1080 Ti for $500, or a 1080 for $300. Unless this ray tracing technology does tangibly more, or until the 2070 14gb approaches $500 pricing (its starting around $650), or the 2060 12gb approaches $300 pricing ($400).

Anyways, those are the prices for which you should probably be waiting to strike, if you are in the mood for a new (old 10-series) card.

I'm not sure how say 7 to 8gb of GDDR6 compares to 11gb of GDDR5 on the 1080 Ti, or if its actually worth it to buy the brand new 20-series equivalent with less vRAM. I think this is the important thing that everyone is wondering.

Thanks, MysterD!

#102753 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10403 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:31 PM

Only thing I know is 12GB of VRAM is complete and total overkill for 2018-2020 unless you're playing some XXXXtreme VR 50,000k resolution setup at 120 fps.

#102754 Electroplasm   Destroy Erase Improve CAGiversary!   1650 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Electroplasm

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:40 PM

I don't know how i missed this but orwell was free on humblebundle. i always check humble at least once a week to see if they have a free game. if anyone has an extra key, i'd really appreciate it. the free deal ended a few hours ago :dunce: :joystick:

if you don't that's all right. it was my fault

update: the end hooked me up. it's all good.

#102755 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5374 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:52 PM

I don't know how i missed this but orwell was free on humblebundle. i always check humble at least once a week to see if they have a free game.

I can't help with a key, but I can explain how you missed it. ;)

#102756 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6187 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:04 PM

Just so people know. All games that are given away on Humble, are eventually given away on Steam itself. It's in steam's rules for devs/publishers.

So if you miss a game, you will eventually get a second shot at it.

#102757 Electroplasm   Destroy Erase Improve CAGiversary!   1650 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Electroplasm

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:06 PM

thank you so much to The End for hooking me up with a key. :shock: O:)

I can't help with a key, but I can explain how you missed it. ;)

:lol:

#102758 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10403 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:01 AM

Just so people know. All games that are given away on Humble, are eventually given away on Steam itself. It's in steam's rules for devs/publishers.

tumblr_m7h27b2xnc1qbygev.gif

#102759 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   70 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:27 AM

Only thing I know is 12GB of VRAM is complete and total overkill for 2018-2020 unless you're playing some XXXXtreme VR 50,000k resolution setup at 120 fps.

Skyrim. 4k booby mods!

I don't see the new RTX/ray tracing stuff to be compelling as nothing will use it well for likely 1-3 years. Same old deal with gpu's being ready for the newest Direct-X version, that few games are using and won't be for awhile. That or you'll have game devs or nvidia and amd screwing up somewhere with it as they work out the bugs or never fix the bugs until new video cards come out.

A 1080ti for $500 or less should be a decent upgrade from my 970 for 1080p at 144hz for another 3+ years.

#102760 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5374 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:39 AM

I'm not sure if all of them have been in practise, but a lot of the recent ones definitely have been.

#102761 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24165 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

But will it run Crysis?

#102762 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8754 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Or in the case of Insurgency, a twentieth shot at it.

#102763 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5381 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

I find it kind-of funny that Stardock is touting the fact that they have Adam Baldwin doing voice work for the new Star Control game. Isn't that a bit like James Cameron saying, "Hey, I'm making a new Alien movie, and I got Sigourney Weaver's hairstylist to play Ripley in it"?

#102764 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Just some guy CAGiversary!   1377 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

Whipped out my XB1 for the first time in over 2 years. Trying to play some BC games. Can confirm, it still sucks.

#102765 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4680 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

I find it kind-of funny that Stardock is touting the fact that they have Adam Baldwin doing voice work for the new Star Control game. Isn't that a bit like James Cameron saying, "Hey, I'm making a new Alien movie, and I got Sigourney Weaver's hairstylist to play Ripley in it"?

Not sure funny is the word I'd use.  It's a pretty clear dog whistle.

#102766 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8754 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:56 PM

Regardless of that taint-licking, ass snorting, chode eating douchebag's politics, he's actually a decent actor. However...

This is very clearly an attempt by them to attract some of that gerblegerper money.

It's poison.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to emphasize how much of a garbage human Adam Baldwin is.

#102767 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5643 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

I mean, it's nice that they are thinking about something other than game systems, I guess. 

To me, Stardock games are pretty packages with nice systems, but are somewhat lacking in charisma. Star Control had a terrific game system for the time, but what people really loved were the quirky aliens and the great story.

Now what would really impress me would be if Stardock announced they were handing Toys for Bob a boatload of cash to write the story and design the species and ships. But alas, that's not happening.

#102768 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4680 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:14 PM

Really?  All that and not a word to say about Brad Wardell?

#102769 waabulo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   979 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:31 PM

Just asking (not arguing); what has Adam Baldwin done to be deemed human garbage?  I liked some of his acting roles (characters), but generally am unimpressed at the acting abilities of any Baldwin.

I noticed that he has done prior voice acting for shows and video games.  

#102770 Kelkeen   \mm/ \mm/ CAGiversary!   687 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:50 PM

but generally am unimpressed at the acting abilities of any Baldwin.

1794770814-char_56554.jpg

#102771 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5381 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:53 PM

Hm. Well, it was funny because I didn't realize he was "that guy"; I just figured he was another one of the conservative, not-very-good-actor Baldwin brothers like William. 

It could be a dog whistle or it could just be Wardell saying that he got a guy whose done a fair bit of voice work in the industry (some of it in very popular games)--I didn't realize that was the case either when I posted my comment. 

Really?  All that and not a word to say about Brad Wardell?

If the harassment allegations against him are true, he's a dirtbag. I don't know whether they are, but based on my time hanging out in the Stardock forums back in the day, he seemed like a nice guy but an ultra-conservative. He seemed to surround himself, at least at his place of business (which, as a private company, is his prerogative) with like-minded people in that sense as well. Much of the political discussion on the forums revolved around how anthropogenic climate change is a hoax and low taxes on corporations benefited everyone and the only people who would disagree with that are welfare queens. 

#102772 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14251 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:14 AM

Just asking (not arguing); what has Adam Baldwin done to be deemed human garbage?  I liked some of his acting roles (characters), but generally am unimpressed at the acting abilities of any Baldwin.

I noticed that he has done prior voice acting for shows and video games.  

He went on a homophobic rant about a man marrying his son to explain how he thinks finances work for gay couples, then called people "butthurt" and "fatties" for disagreeing. He also said Democrats started the KKK--I don't know if that's true, but parties now aren't the same as parties 100 years ago. And he's very pro-gun and pro-Confederate Flag.

He's your typical big, dumb ultraconservative who hates taxes, LGBT, and minorities. No different from my father and most of my uncles, but he's famous and has Twitter. I have no problem with hating someone and liking their work, though. I love Ender's Game and hate Orson Scott Card.

#102773 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4680 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:16 AM

Hm. Well, it was funny because I didn't realize he was "that guy"; I just figured he was another one of the conservative, not-very-good-actor Baldwin brothers like William. 

Adam Baldwin is not one of the Baldwin brothers.

#102774 weretable   I have long conversations with housecats CAGiversary!   706 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:23 AM

Baldwin was heavily involved in and lobbed much of the fuel on the fire when the Gamergate nonsense got started.  He made a lot of pretty vile tweets, most of which he deleted at one point while having a whiny fit about Twitter.   Politics aside, the dude is just an asshole.

Edit: Wardell was always posting  pro-Gamergate stuff and is an ass too but not to the over-the-top extent that Baldwin is.  

Edited by weretable, 20 August 2018 - 12:29 AM.

#102775 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5381 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:27 AM

He went on a homophobic rant about a man marrying his son to explain how he thinks finances work for gay couples, then called people "butthurt" and "fatties" for disagreeing. He also said Democrats started the KKK--I don't know if that's true, but parties now aren't the same as parties 100 years ago. And he's very pro-gun and pro-Confederate Flag.

He's your typical big, dumb ultraconservative who hates taxes, LGBT, and minorities. No different from my father and most of my uncles, but he's famous and has Twitter. I have no problem with hating someone and liking their work, though. I love Ender's Game and hate Orson Scott Card.

Hasn't Card been coasting on that one book for 20-odd years? Even the first sequel to it wasn't that great. 

Adam Baldwin is not one of the Baldwin brothers.

I'm not questioning this, precisely, but, uh, how is one expected to know the difference? 

#102776 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8498 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:40 AM

Democrats started the KKK--I don't know if that's true, but parties now aren't the same as parties 100 years ago.

I was looking for a good website that talked about the party shifts in the US, but then I came across a bunch of websites saying it is a myth and now I just don't want to look at the internet anymore today.

#102777 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5381 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:58 AM

I was looking for a good website that talked about the party shifts in the US, but then I came across a bunch of websites saying it is a myth and now I just don't want to look at the internet anymore today.

That whole myth is a vast oversimplification of history. The Klan didn't arise from the Democratic Party, but the Klan and similar organizations were designed to bolster support for Democrats and keep Republicans out of office, generally by keeping blacks from voting. It wasn't until the civil rights movement took off properly that the racist elements in this country started to shift from Democrat to Republican, finding the GOP's "big tent" to be more accommodating to their views. As Blade stated, the reality is that times have changed and just because some Republicans may not be comfortable with the fact that their party is home to (and their president is suspiciously welcoming to) white nationalist elements, it doesn't mean that they can simply ignore the facts on the ground by sticking their fingers in their ears and saying, "Yeah, well, you were racist first!"

There's a pretty good article about all of this here

#102778 BigTime2Play   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

BigTime2Play

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:38 AM

That whole myth is a vast oversimplification of history. The Klan didn't arise from the Democratic Party, but the Klan and similar organizations were designed to bolster support for Democrats and keep Republicans out of office, generally by keeping blacks from voting. It wasn't until the civil rights movement took off properly that the racist elements in this country started to shift from Democrat to Republican, finding the GOP's "big tent" to be more accommodating to their views. As Blade stated, the reality is that times have changed and just because some Republicans may not be comfortable with the fact that their party is home to (and their president is suspiciously welcoming to) white nationalist elements, it doesn't mean that they can simply ignore the facts on the ground by sticking their fingers in their ears and saying, "Yeah, well, you were racist first!"

There's a pretty good article about all of this here.

Well on point! To add it’s pretty much about divide and conquer - rather divide to sustain and maintain power. The elite used race to divide, stamping “whiteness” as an identity value to give hope to poor whites as they competed for jobs against free blacks. From this came a propaganda to dehumanize blacks as seen from the infamous film Birth of a Nation which eventually lead to Jim Crow Laws (might have happened during the same time or shortly before) etc.

Shortly after the civil rights movement (maybe during) one of the leaders who tried to lift the veil and unite poor people regardless of race was Fred Hampton whom was, one of the leaders of the Black Panther Party in Chicago. He even said in one of his speeches, “Black power to Black People. White Power to White People...” He was assassinated by CPD whole sleeping in his home. I think he was only 21.

Anyways....whose excited to hear more about those new cards tomorrow huh?

#102779 waabulo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   979 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:03 AM

ok, case well made.  Adam Baldwin is an asshole.  also, valid points regarding shifts in the political parties

#102780 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4367 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:31 AM

NEXT ON MEET THE PRESS, BRUTICIS AND TEBOW SQUARE OFF ON TRUMP'S NEW IDEA: TIME FORCE AND WHETHER DR. EMMETT BROWN IS A GOOD CHOICE AS ITS LEADER!!!