* * * * * 82 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#106141 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   565 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:27 PM

Cool story bro.

#106142 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24542 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

i just want a storefront that isnt overflowing with garbage. i miss when there were "waves" of games getting through greenlight and they were at least somewhat interesting. if epic focuses on small batches of curated releases alongside their free ones itll have my attention every 2 weeks. not like theres any reason for me to have "brand loyalty" for steam 

I think my other problem w/ most other services - their service, features, Friends features, and forums suck when compared to Steam. They either are half-assed or don't have these features.

SteamLink (whether the device itself or built into your Samsung HDTV), Big Picture Mode, Your Steam Activity Page, Steam screen-shot taking & Posting - a lot of these features to me do really matter.

Also, Steam isn't broken when reinstalling a game either. When verifying or checking if I have data - boom, it does what it needs to. Whether it needs to just finish-up the install process (to notice the files are there with everything already up-to-date) or download the difference to get what's missing - that's it. Steam always works properly, in this front - these days and age.

When doing full reinstalls - Origin got broken and no longer works right, within the last year or so. When I tried to install DAI: GOTY on another PC, it only recognized the base-game and still downloaded the DLC's - even though I used a back-up of the entire freaking GOTY Edition. Epic fail.

#106143 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10921 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

Here is the thing about your points.  I don't value my game collection at all.

I'm sort of the same.  Not that I'd be thrilled to see all my games wiped but I view them as largely consumable product and, once I've played them, they're disposable to me.  I can't remember a time when Steam took a game fully away from legitimate purchasers but I'd be interested in hearing about it.  I'm guessing (if it's happened) that it was because of some sort of trademark infringement or content issue or something.  So those edge cases don't concern me much at all.  But I don't view my games as a "collection" or anything that I'm emotionally invested in and I don't really care if the DRM works with computers twenty years from now.

#106144 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10612 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:26 PM

So I'm messing around with the Epic Store client and, maybe I'm dumb, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of sub-menu in the store tab.  That is, the only games I can see are the ten or so featured on the front page.  There also isn't even a search function.  And a lot of the other links will simply take you to do stuff through Epic/Unreal's website.

They clearly just rushed this out without putting much thought/design into it.

Fake edit: Looks like 16 games on the front page... and maybe that's literally all there is on there now?

#106145 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10921 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:38 PM

Fake edit: Looks like 16 games on the front page... and maybe that's literally all there is on there now?

Curated!

#106146 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24542 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:41 PM

So I'm messing around with the Epic Store client and, maybe I'm dumb, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of sub-menu in the store tab.  That is, the only games I can see are the ten or so featured on the front page.  There also isn't even a search function.  And a lot of the other links will simply take you to do stuff through Epic/Unreal's website.

They clearly just rushed this out without putting much thought/design into it.

I don't see any sub-menus either. That looks to be all there is on the store currently.

Maybe they'll add features like looking by genres, looking by developers/publishers, searching and whatnot later?

#106147 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10612 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:43 PM

Well... a free game every two weeks and I doubt they're going to be giving away free copies of that new stuff so... they'll probably add a bunch of older shit.

#106148 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24542 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:04 AM

Hopefully, there are more freebies on Epic of "stuff I don't own somewhere else already."

Was nice adding Subnautica to my Epic Games +1 counter and my Always-Increasing Backlog.

#106149 DrR0Ck   Grammar Ass CAGiversary!   1764 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:36 AM

Couple salient points re: the Epic Game store:  They currently don't institute their own DRM.  Doesn't mean that will continue to be the case indefinitely.  Especially if a big publisher demands something like that in return for an exclusive.  

I have an old email associated with the Epic store/client.  I would like to change the email to a more current email.  There is no ability to do so.  I emailed their support at some point, but no; it's just not possible.  Seems like this should be basic functionality in a storefront.  Maybe they will earn some of my $$ if they have decent sales and allow me to change that address.  Not before.  

I'll take their whatever free stuff they want to give me though.

#106150 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5503 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:54 AM

One day you will.  When you have games or a library of content taken away from you. 

I guess you've never had a VUDU or iTunes digital movie removed from your library.  You've never lost Playstation mobile games or other digital content.  Companies either fail or become acquired all the time.  We're simply riding a hot streak of good fortune right now.

I would be really curious to know which titles you've had removed from your VUDU account...?

#106151 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24542 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:10 AM

Couple salient points re: the Epic Game store:  They currently don't institute their own DRM.  Doesn't mean that will continue to be the case indefinitely.  Especially if a big publisher demands something like that in return for an exclusive. 

I wonder what they'd name the DRM, if they did offer up their own up as optional to 3rd parties at some point.

"Epic DRM" or "Unreal DRM" really have a monstrous sound to them...

#106152 DrR0Ck   Grammar Ass CAGiversary!   1764 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:25 AM

I wonder what they'd name the DRM, if they did offer up their own up as optional to 3rd parties at some point.

"Epic DRM" or "Unreal DRM" really have a monstrous sound to them...

I'm partial to "Unreal Software Protection Engine."  But, if they can't figure out how to allow me to change my email address, do you think this is something they can accomplish? 

#106153 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24542 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:36 AM

I'm partial to "Unreal Software Protection Engine."  But, if they can't figure out how to allow me to change my email address, do you think this is something they can accomplish? 

Sure, DRM's more complex.

They pulled off Cross-Platform play stuff (for Fortnite), didn't they?

We can't help that...they can't do the ultra-easy stuff (like allow e-mail change) and can only do the hard/complex stuff (build Unreal Engine, Cross Platform tools, Epic Game Store/Launcher). ;)

#106154 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4496 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:04 AM

What about The Discord Store?

What about Your Mom store?

#106155 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4852 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:46 AM

Unfortunately I don't have nearly enough hard drive space to store every game I buy, so even sans DRM, I rely on Steam being up-and-running to have access to my games. Steam has removed games from its store before, and if you didn't have them downloaded at the time, you've lost them. 

They have? Besides games that were online-only and the online servers died? Otherwise I have quite a few games in my library that have been removed from the store but I can still download.

#106156 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10921 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:40 PM

They have? Besides games that were online-only and the online servers died? Otherwise I have quite a few games in my library that have been removed from the store but I can still download.

Last Christmas when there was some reward for playing the oldest game in your library, I was still able to download the files for City of Heroes which has been defunct since 2012

#106157 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24542 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:00 PM

Same here.

One example: still got my copy of Sword Coast Legends able to re-download if need be, which got pulled a spell ago.

Another example: Marvel UA1+2 are also here in my Steam library too, all which got pulled.

#106158 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10612 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:07 PM

Only time something will be pulled from your library from Steam is when it came from a shady/gray-market key.  You are still able to download games you purchased a long time ago but have been pulled from the store for purchase by others.

#106159 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4852 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:22 PM

Last Christmas when there was some reward for playing the oldest game in your library, I was still able to download the files for City of Heroes which has been defunct since 2012

OK. So not even all online-only games. There was one back in 2013 that Steam removed from libraries when the multiplayer servers of a multiplayer game went dead.

On the other hand when something is removed from the Play Store, you've lost it if you didn't have it downloaded. Just bought it last week and need to reinstall? Too bad.

#106160 boneless   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1786 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

Thursday is the start of the steam sale...yay?

#106161 waabulo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1031 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:18 PM

correct.  also expect Humble to not have a weekly until Winter sale is over and Humble will run a Winter sale at the same time (roughly)

#106162 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8610 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

Good to see I won't be disappointed in Humble for a while.

#106163 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5677 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:02 PM

It looks like the developer of Urban War Defense has finally replaced the keys he revoked for Groupees and Indie Gala bundle buyers.

I bought mine in a Groupees bundle and it was in my library today. I feel dirty admitting I bought a Groupees bundle. :cry:

#106164 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4355 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:41 AM

Good to see I won't be disappointed in Humble for a while.

and Humble will run a Winter sale at the same time (roughly)

#106165 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5471 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:31 AM

correct.  also expect Humble to not have a weekly until Winter sale is over and Humble will run a Winter sale at the same time (roughly)

Possibly true, but with the "new' Humble, are you completely confident on this point?

#106166 waabulo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1031 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:14 AM

I guess I was referring to the traditional weekly that happens on Tuesday.

steam winter sale Dec 20 - Jan 3 reportedly.  possible humble weekly on this coming Tuesday Dec 18th.  

however, seriously doubt that Humble would run a weekly on Dec. 25 or Jan 1 and again, as they generally run a sale to compete with Steam.  

I would love to be wrong and that they pull some amazing bundle, but I just am too cynical to believe it.

#106167 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5471 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

I guess I was referring to the traditional weekly that happens on Tuesday.

steam winter sale Dec 20 - Jan 3 reportedly.  possible humble weekly on this coming Tuesday Dec 18th.  

however, seriously doubt that Humble would run a weekly on Dec. 25 or Jan 1 and again, as they generally run a sale to compete with Steam.  

I would love to be wrong and that they pull some amazing bundle, but I just am too cynical to believe it.

Well, look, nobody started throwing around words like "amazing" until you did just now. I said "bundle."

Humble's clearly going the quantity over quality route at this point. The latest Jumbos have been something akin to a Groupees Be Mine of late, just to give one example. The vast majority of the game bundles that Humble puts out now are repeats, and I do lay some of the blame for this at the feet of IGN. While Humble had a mix of great, good, and kinda crap bundles before they took over, they're just churning out stuff as fast as they can, on IG and Groupees levels now, so as a result, while they used to be viewed as the site that had rare but generally good bundles, they're now the site where they have a variety of bundles, of which only the occasional game bundle is worthwhile (and often that's the monthly, which typically has higher-quality titles, even if a fair number are now repeats too). [Don't misunderstand me--I'm not saying that only game bundles are worthwhile. I like the odd software bundle and book bundle, but most of those are not that good either.]

#106168 DrR0Ck   Grammar Ass CAGiversary!   1764 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

Well, look, nobody started throwing around words like "amazing" until you did just now. I said "bundle."

Humble's clearly going the quantity over quality route at this point. The latest Jumbos have been something akin to a Groupees Be Mine of late, just to give one example. The vast majority of the game bundles that Humble puts out now are repeats, and I do lay some of the blame for this at the feet of IGN. While Humble had a mix of great, good, and kinda crap bundles before they took over, they're just churning out stuff as fast as they can, on IG and Groupees levels now, so as a result, while they used to be viewed as the site that had rare but generally good bundles, they're now the site where they have a variety of bundles, of which only the occasional game bundle is worthwhile (and often that's the monthly, which typically has higher-quality titles, even if a fair number are now repeats too). [Don't misunderstand me--I'm not saying that only game bundles are worthwhile. I like the odd software bundle and book bundle, but most of those are not that good either.]

Not wanting to be a Humble shill, but they have not quite descended to Poopees level bundle quality just yet.  I'm still interested in many of Humble's offerings.  The same can rarely be said of Poopees.

#106169 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10921 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, you think the guys at Groupees could get a bunch of gay dinosaur sex books together in one place?  Huh?  Do ya?  Show a little respect.

#106170 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14407 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:14 PM

I buy from both places because I have moderate depression and an unhealthy habit of collecting things.