* * * * * 81 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free

#107761 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

D was onto something though, and that's how the quality of Disney movies suffered a nose dive just before the turn of the century.  

Look at all of that forgettable stuff, many things which we have never seen or even heard of, around the start of the millennium:  https://en.wikipedia...imated_features

It was Pixar that kept the relevant titles coming, as you can see in that list.  I'm sure that Disney struggled in the beginning of the digital age, and with the hand-drawn to digital conversion that was happening around then.   But from the non-Pixar titles offered you can see that they were struggling with inspiration and conceptualization issues as well.

In recent years, Disney has rekindled some of that magic in their animated feature films again. 

#107762 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10904 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

That said I don't think you'll see a great looking female.  Massive seems apposed to it.  They really took an ugly stick to Faye Lau character model if you look at at the voice actresses.  (She was on Dark Matter and is currently on the Rookie.)

Hopefully its better than the first one as it seemed like everyone used the same face for their female characters.

Because she was the only face that didn't look like it has been beaten with an ugly stick.  I ain't looking for "sexy glamor princess" but maybe someone who looks as though they didn't just climb out of a hole under an Appalachian meth lab would be nice.  Like I said, it's doubly weird because there's a number of normal looking female NPCs around the world but the PC creation default is "Drug Goblin".

#107763 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

I'm honestly not understanding the 1.5 comparisons. It doesn't play the same, need to use cover, less healing is available, issues with movement have been dealt with, new skills, skills don't happen as often

That's exactly how I remember 1.0

#107764 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10904 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:12 PM

D was onto something though, and that's how the quality of Disney movies suffered a nose dive just before the turn of the century.  

Look at all of that forgettable stuff, many things which we have never seen or even heard of, around the start of the millennium:  https://en.wikipedia...imated_features

It was rough going between 2002 (Lilo & Stitch) and 2010 (Tangled) for actual Walt Disney films (i.e. not Pixar).  Since then you had Tangled, Brave, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Moana, etc.  Before that you had Mulan as late as 1998.  That said, I'm not a Disney devotee by any measure so I'm just going off what I recognize as recognizable and not a flop (Treasure Island, Atlantis, various farmyard animal hijinx flicks).

#107765 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:17 PM

It was rough going between 2002 (Lilo & Stitch) and 2010 (Tangled) for actual Walt Disney films (i.e. not Pixar).  Since then you had Tangled, Brave, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Moana, etc.  Before that you had Mulan as late as 1998.  That said, I'm not a Disney devotee by any measure so I'm just going off what I recognize as recognizable and not a flop (Treasure Island, Atlantis, various farmyard animal hijinx flicks).

The 'Walt Disney Animation Studios' feature films that have come out since 2012 took an incredible leap forward in regards to quality and have been massive hits:

-Wreck-It Ralph

-Frozen

-Big Hero 6

-Zootopia

-Moana

-Ralph Breaks the Internet.

#107766 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3150 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

If anything, Disney's been middling for years.

If you didn't feel that the last 15-20 minutes of Rogue One was the best Star Wars... then I'm not sure about your Star Wars qualifications.  Vader finally did something that showed why he was VADER.  Up til that point him and Alec Guinness' lightsaber was... eh at best.  But I'm also a fan who didn't particularly care for ESB (I know, I know).

Also, 

Every Marvel Movie (Avengers +)

Frozen

Moana

Misc Pixar films.

Their live action is shit (Wrinkle in Time especially).

[FYI, ROTJ, RO, ANH, ESB, III, II, Solo, I]

#107767 elessar123  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

But even if you dont count that (and you should) if you're going back to "The Lion King" you're missing out on (just from the 2000's) "Cars", "Ratatouille", "The Princess and the Frog", "Wreck-it-Ralph", "Moana" and the perhaps the biggest kiddie-cultural icon of this decade "Frozen".

You're missing Brave. It's up there with Moana. And I guess, Big Hero 6.

#107768 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8478 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:32 PM

Division 2 is def an expansion. I’ll still play it but let’s be honest here...

#107769 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10904 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:36 PM

Division 2 is def an expansion. I’ll still play it but let’s be honest here...

What would make it "new" and still maintain the flavor of the franchise?

#107770 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

When you find another younger, hot woman that looks just like your wife.

Like when Brett Favre was pursuing Jen Sterger whom resembled Deanna. 

#107771 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8478 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

Good question. The only thing they really added was “specialization” which from what I played was not even fun or impactful. The “dungeon” ENDGAME was just higher level enemies in the low level intro dungeon. Hoping the demo was just lacking and the full game is better.

#107772 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1703 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

I mean farcry has been the same for 4 games now, yet those are sequels, same thing just in a new setting with a coat of paint on the weapons and enemies. Div2 would appear to me to be as much of a sequel as any other, changing the whole location while maintaining the same gameplay still looks like a sequel to me

#107773 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Nearing puberty. CAGiversary!   1489 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

#107774 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8478 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

Gottem stupid Epic Store

#107775 Motiv  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

Haha... this brings me great joy for some reason.

#107776 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8478 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

I mean farcry has been the same for 4 games now, yet those are sequels, same thing just in a new setting with a coat of paint on the weapons and enemies. Div2 would appear to me to be as much of a sequel as any other, changing the whole location while maintaining the same gameplay still looks like a sequel to me

It is a sequel but Ubi said they had the largest team working on a game for them...the beta didn’t display this huge teams work.

#107777 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

The ONE TIME in history that dick pics didn't work for a guy.

#107778 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4805 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:28 PM

I'd go one movie later and earlier with Treasure Planet (2002) and The Princess and the Frog (2009). Between those, yeah, not a great run. I'd blame that rough run on Disney doing computer animation that looked nothing like typical animation that all came across a bit like Pixar-lite, but Brother Bear (2003) and Home on the Range (2004) were in a traditional style and were forgettable. The style of the following few movies may have been a reaction to response to those two versus the response to their Pixar contemporaries.

If you didn't feel that the last 15-20 minutes of Rogue One was the best Star Wars... then I'm not sure about your Star Wars qualifications.  Vader finally did something that showed why he was VADER.  Up til that point him and Alec Guinness' lightsaber was... eh at best.  But I'm also a fan who didn't particularly care for ESB (I know, I know).

Taken on its own, yeah, you could make that argument. Probably better than any 15-20 minute stretch of the originals. Perhaps Revenge of the Sith once Order 66 is given can compare. But even beyond that 15-20 minutes Rogue One was excellent. It stands well with some of the greatest examples of suicide mission stories from (mostly) westerns.

#107779 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5453 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

RANDOM RESPONSES:

I'm the guy who liked Rogue One. It fit the story, but it was a bummer that all of the (um, spoiler alert? I think if you haven't seen it by now. . . .) main characters are massacred at the end.

Solo was very meh.

I also liked The Last Jedi. Except for the Leia swimming through space part. That's stupid no matter how many times I see it. Also, if you didn't tear up just a little when Luke and Leia met each other on Hoth (I mean, whatever the salt planet was called), you have no heart.

I didn't care about Big Hero 6, Frozen, Cars, or Ratatouille. I should get around to watching Moana one of these days. Wreck-It Ralph was okay, but it wasn't exactly Toy Story.

The reason there haven't been any good Pirates movies is that they didn't need to make any more after the first one. They should have looked at it and said, "Gore, you did a fine piece of directing there. Johnny, you seem batsh*t-crazy as ever, and that's just great. Go be weird in another movie, maybe something Harry Potter-related."

The Beauty and the Beast live-action movie was actually okay, but the idea that you can make live-action characters seem less real than animated ones really says everything there is to say about how superfluous all of this is. It can't be that hard to come up with new ideas for movies to throw money at. If nothing else, there are still a crapton of books out there. How about a GOOD production of The Martian Chronicles? The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Robert Asprin's Myth series? Zelazny's Jack of Shadows? What the hell, a remake of The 27th Day? Graphic-novel adaptations are all the rage, so how about Revival (I know that one's way too "adult" for Disney, but still)?

Also, I have no opinion about The Division 1, 1.5, or 2.

#107780 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   105 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c623ae4466b476a51

Heh, first thing I thought of too. Damn you Warreni for getting this song stuck in my head.

#107781 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8582 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

To anyone that has a Vizio Smart TV... Get your $0.23 here...

https://www.viziotvsettlement.com/

This website will not steal your Steam account... honest.

#107782 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8576 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

https://www.pcgamer....uffer-pcgamertw

hopefully one day the series returns to form

#107783 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:16 PM

We'll see if Anthem sales have something to say about that.  50/50 chance that Bioware doesn't even exist in a year. 

#107784 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20771 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

That's my thinking.  Not sure what people think a sequel should be.  

Haha... this brings me great joy for some reason.

Except when you remember how useless Steam pre-loading is because it takes longer to unpack or whatever once the game releases than to just start your download then.  

#107785 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   Nearing puberty. CAGiversary!   1489 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

That's my thinking.  Not sure what people think a sequel should be.  

Except when you remember how useless Steam pre-loading is because it takes longer to unpack or whatever once the game releases than to just start your download then.  

https://www.newegg.c...Category/ID-119

#107786 lakers714  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:32 PM

No on character creation but it seems a bigger selection is available based upon hitting new character. (All of the characters in the beta are random.)

I'm honestly not understanding the 1.5 comparisons. It doesn't play the same, need to use cover, less healing is available, issues with movement have been dealt with, new skills, skills don't happen as often, and the biggest thing is a new map (which is bigger with more playable space), and all new missions. Even the side activities have changed. Story, we are going to disagree but I didn't and still don't feel like the story has ever taken a back seat in the game(s).

I see a sequel that sticks very close to what made the original compelling while moving on from what didn't really work.

I guess we will have differentiating opinions on it, movement is still easily exploited as the 1st one, the new skills are just lacking,  when some of those same skills from last game have gotten worse in this one and some of them are pretty much useless.I guess on Story is debatable if you feel there is enough or has one. The UI is garbage especially on PC and there is other issues I wont go over since this is just a rant. 

#107787 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1319 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

Rogue One and Solo were both better than episode 7 and episode 8. Episode 7 was alright, but episode 8 is down there with #2. It just wasnt a very good movie.

Judging from my kids Disney has had a lot of good titles recently. Frozen and Moana were constantly on our tv for a week or two after we bought them. I am probably mixing up pixar and Disney but Inside Out and Coco were both really good animated films too.

#107788 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1330 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

Not if current Bioware has any involvement with it.

#107789 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5453 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:44 PM

Rogue One and Solo were both better than episode 7 and episode 8. Episode 7 was alright, but episode 8 is down there with #2. It just wasnt a very good movie.

Judging from my kids Disney has had a lot of good titles recently. Frozen and Moana were constantly on our tv for a week or two after we bought them. I am probably mixing up pixar and Disney but Inside Out and Coco were both really good animated films too.

Coco's another one I need to get around to watching.

I thought Inside Out was one of the weaker recent efforts; wasn't it a Pixar film? The whole conceit made very little sense.

#107790 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1319 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

I thought Inside Out was one of the weaker recent efforts; wasn't it a Pixar film? The whole conceit made very little sense.

The memory pit gets me every time...